Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

One Piece, anime wackiness meets Pirates of the Caribbean

Balcony Heckler
The Comedy Art of Insult

Member 13861

Level 15.34

Oct 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 08:54 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 11:24 PM #1 of 55
One Piece, anime wackiness meets Pirates of the Caribbean

While I enjoy my serious anime, there's one in particular I've taken to when i need to take a break from seriousness and drama, that being the pirate anime One Piece.

For me, I guess it was the Pirates of the Caribbean movies that got me into liking pirates for the first time since I was nine. and seeing Anime that's not set in some futuristic paradise or some woodsy type scene just caught on to me, and i think it's a bit underrated.

for those of you who don't know the story of it, it is as follows:

Fame...fortune...power...

The one man who had it all in this world was the great Pirate King, Gold Roger...whose fateful last words drove men to the sea.

"My treasure? If you want it, I will give it. All the riches in the world await the person who can but find it."

And so, brave souls set sail for the Grand Line in search of their dreams. The Great Age of Pirates had begun.

It's a pirate adventure like no other you've over seen.

Now, Monkey D. Luffy has set out on his own grand adventure. His goal, to fulfil a promise he made to his idol, the pirate Shanks, to seek out the Grand Line and find the Pirate King's treasure: One Piece. He is both blessed and cursed by having eaten of the Gum Gum fruit, known throughout the seas as the "Devil's Fruit". Though now unable to swim, his body is now able to stretch like rubber. With his newfound powers and the crew of the Going Merry at his side (famed pirate hunter Zolo, crafty pirate thief Nami, compulsive liar Usopp, and suave but kicking cook Sanji), Monkey sets out to follow in the wakes of the great pirates and write his own name in the pages of history. (trademark Absolute Anime)

well, you've got a lot of aspects of traditional anime in there. First, Luffy, Captain of the Straw Hat Pirates, wacky, adventerous and tough, kinda like Lupin the 3rd to me, with the unusual power of rubber body.

Zolo, the classic samurai wielding 3 sword style (with pretty deft grace and strength)

nami, the pretty but tough navigator

Usopp, the cunning, and cowardly, Liar (if he only had a brain)

and Sanji, the loverboy cook.

what do you all think of One Piece?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

You know what? you just might be full enough of shit to apply for congress
Old Oct 13, 2006, 02:17 AM #2 of 55
Well first I'd suggest that you stop watching the terrible show that 4Kids is putting out on television. Second I'd tell you to go watch the actual unbutchered awesome show that is One Piece via fansubbers.

I did a marathon of all 280 episodes of One Piece a week or so ago. Took forever but it was great. One Piece is a pretty simple show but the characters are extremely likeable and the story is well written. I just love the world that it exists in too. The whole thing is just very entertaining.

So if you'd like to watch One Piece then here's my recommendation. Go download it from the following places. I've watched all the way up to 280 and all these groups do a perfectly fine job.

http://www.worldspace.nu/onepiece/

Get up to episode 206 from Kaizoku Fansubs, 207-209 from Hell fansubs, 210-218 from BalF, 219-249 from GeruSama, and 250 and up from ADC-Elites. =)

I really love the HDTV episodes that start from 207 and up. Every now and then they use a 4:3 raw but man the HDTV episodes really look nice.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Balcony Heckler
The Comedy Art of Insult

Member 13861

Level 15.34

Oct 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 04:26 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 06:56 AM #3 of 55
ok

ok, thanks for the tip. I think I'll find the uncensored episodes. the issue is though that I've been reading the manga and only seen a few episodesof the watered down version on TV. so you're right, I will find the uncensored stuff first. thanks for the link

Most amazing jew boots

Old Oct 13, 2006, 05:14 AM #4 of 55
Oh and my bad, only up to 279 have been subbed but one off isn't far off. It was quite the marathon. Epic even!

How ya doing, buddy?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

ApOcaLyPSe_1985
Wiivolution

Member 1331

Level 13.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 08:55 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 03:55 PM #5 of 55
I love One Piece too, both the manga and anime. Never seen the 4Kids dub though but their version of Rockman.EXE was horrifying. They dulled out sharp stabby weapons, renamed FireMan to TorchMan for no reason and put in the worst voices for characters. I've heard One Piece got the same treatment...

And yes, listen to AcerBandit and get yourself up to 280 NOW because the original is 100x more awesome then the dub. Plus it means your practically on par with the Japanese so you can keep up to date with the merchandise kraze if your into importing that kind of stuff
For the manga check out StopTazmo cause it often includes small stuff like funny side-stories and other content.

Enjoy!

I was speaking idiomatically.

Fight Nintendo! For everlasting peace!
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 09:05 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 09:05 AM #6 of 55
Misinterpretted the title. Thought Japan or America was gonna do a cross-over (PotC & OnePiece). Whew =I

The manga doesn't stick well with me. Maybe the anime is more entertaining... But isn't it largely filler or wanders off from the manga?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Balcony Heckler
The Comedy Art of Insult

Member 13861

Level 15.34

Oct 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 09:45 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 12:15 PM #7 of 55
the manga is definetely better, more graphic and serious at most points. although around here, they don't play One Piece that much, but I wouldn't doubt the 4Kids stuff is too tame for the rest of us

FELIPE NO

Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:01 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 05:01 PM #8 of 55
One Piece is awesome, but the 4Kids version, as everyone agrees, is horrible. I mean, even if everything else was perfect (which it's totally not), what they did to Sanji would be enough not to watch it. I mean, aside from the whole cigarette/lollipop thing, his American voice actor almost literally sounds like an ape.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Casaubon
Shocking

Member 539

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:37 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 08:37 AM #9 of 55
Originally Posted by Balcony Heckler
the manga is definetely better, more graphic and serious at most points. although around here, they don't play One Piece that much, but I wouldn't doubt the 4Kids stuff is too tame for the rest of us
In the case of One Piece, I think the anime is a lot better than the manga. It's pretty much a perfect transistion to animation. And the amazing soundtrack, consistently good animation, and the best voice actors ever pretty much make it that way. There are scenes in the manga that just lose everything without the music or voice actors. Well, that's just what I think anyways. There is barely any filler, and most of the filler is pretty decent for filler standards, there was like only 1 filler arc that sucked.

I'm probably the biggest One Piece fanboy on this forum, and marathoed this faster than Acer. I just decided one day to try it man, this is like my favorite anime now-a-days.

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:34 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 07:34 PM #10 of 55
I'll just pop in to say that yes, One Piece is quite wonderful and anyone who isn't watching it for whatever ridiculously stupid excuse they come up with are missing out in one of the most fun shows ever.

The anime has its share of filler, but overall it's a highly entertaining adaptation of an awesome manga and the music is quite top notch. Special mention to the absolutely terrific voice actors who've really made the characters.

Also, the brutal rape of the series done by 4Kids is still horrifying to see in this day and age. It's the kind of stuff people want to see with morbid curiosity or when they simply don't know better. It saddens me to think there are people who watch the raped version and then go "I watched a few eps of One Piece. It sucked.", not realizing it's not actually One Piece they saw.

Most amazing jew boots

Old Oct 13, 2006, 08:52 PM #11 of 55
Yeah, I only watch One Piece on TV when I'm really bored and b/c I'm easily amused. It's terribleness makes me laugh tremendously.. It's amazing the amount of effort they put forth to ruin the show though. It could be used elsewhere like oh I don't know maybe making original shows instead. The work to remove Sanji's cigarette smoke and to replace it with a lollipop when it's a close-up of his mouth talking alone could be used to fund a new animated series.

How ya doing, buddy?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Planetenbrecher
D.

Member 702

Level 4.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 09:57 PM Local time: Oct 15, 2006, 03:57 AM #12 of 55
One Piece really IS a masterpiece.

The Arabasta Arc was the best thing IMO that I've seen in any anime so far, it was just perfect.
And a big pro for One Piece is the cleverness of the fights in the show. No fight resembles the other, Oda really catches me off-guard everytime when the characters show their moves, although you might think, you've seen everything. Unlike DBZ with "my power level is higher than yours" or Bleach with "HA, my fuckin' reiatsu is bigger, I'm gonna pwn you!!!!11", One Piece manages to keep the fights interesting.

Also it has a great soundtrack and superb voice acting.

Unfortunately I see bad things coming, as the anime practically caught up with the manga... too bad.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
lemonmanko
yell it very loud!

Member 1971

Level 12.17

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2006, 08:31 PM Local time: Oct 15, 2006, 07:31 PM #13 of 55
im a big fan but im only on episode 125 but i will catch up in time
on the topic i went to wiki about one piece and it said the creator has the idea of the ending already
where the current episodes are at does it seem like its ending or we are years off?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 09:43 PM #14 of 55
I personally think we're years off. After the current events taking place in the anime it's going to open up a huge chain of events and they still haven't gone to the pirate council to meet up with Ace. Also, just looking at the world they probably have traveled maybe a fifth of the grand line is what I'm guessing, I'm probably wrong. Anyway I still see One Piece going on for at least a year or two. But, I'm sure whatever ending he comes up with will be excellent I just don't see it coming soon.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

ApOcaLyPSe_1985
Wiivolution

Member 1331

Level 13.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:50 AM Local time: Oct 16, 2006, 04:50 PM #15 of 55
Actually, I remember reading a interview with Oda a long while ago. There he mentioned that we're around 1/4 of the whole story... and that was at episode 200+ so it's going to be pretty epic

FELIPE NO

Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:50 AM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 01:50 AM #16 of 55
I think One Piece has got to be one of the best (lengthy) mangas I've ever read. Most mangas teeter and decline after the first couple of arcs, but One Piece really pumps the gas into every arc. I never really bothered to watch the anime since I'm more of a manga-holic, but so far the manga is definitely top notch. The art itself lends itself to humor, and it is totally not cliched, unlike the majority of manga I see out there. Oda has this special blend of humor and yet emotional seriousness, especialy dealing with character development and event situations. If anything, I really enjoy the character relationships within each other. Each character has his/her own personality, although simple, but at the same time readers like me can over-analyze them in ways even Oda probably didn't mean for them to be.

As must as I would love to rave about One Piece, the easiest thing I can say is: GO READ IT.

Balcony Heckler
The Comedy Art of Insult

Member 13861

Level 15.34

Oct 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 05:55 AM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 08:25 AM #17 of 55
it was the manga that started me off, and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. still collecting them all today

Casaubon
Shocking

Member 539

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 06:37 AM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 04:37 AM #18 of 55
The english adaptation of the manga is actually pretty good. The only thing that bothers me is the "Gum-gum" stuff. I bought them all just because, even though I read it all before and seen the anime form.

As for the length, they aren't even half way a cross the Grand Line, so we still got a long ways to go. Right now, we are probably around like 40-45% done, that's my guess anyways. Every arc from here on out is going to, or should be at least, compeltely badass. I'm really hoping we get to see Blackbeard/Ace next, those fights are going to be fucking EPIC.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Logan
The Universe's Most Wanted

Member 10849

Level 4.85

Aug 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 02:05 PM #19 of 55
I was unsure about this anime, but I decided to give it a shot, and I love it. Made it to episode 19 after 3 nights. On a roll and I plan to go all the way with it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
ApOcaLyPSe_1985
Wiivolution

Member 1331

Level 13.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 02:44 PM Local time: Oct 20, 2006, 09:44 PM #20 of 55
Btw, does anyone have an idea why Kaizoku Fansubs cuts the next episode preview at the end of each episode? They do it every time and it bothered me extremely when I decided to catch up using other groups and found out... I missed so much
I always like watching previews since they usually contain jokes or funny conversations.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

cento
Carob Nut

Member 14167

Level 4.31

Oct 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 03:45 PM #21 of 55
hmm... I'm on an anime torrent site where someone just uploaded eps 1-206 in a batch file... I avoided it cause its huge (45gigs) and I always thought it was a kids anime... it seems like I might have been wrong though... I'm 21, do you think I'd still like it?

Most amazing jew boots
Oh wait, you're serious. Let me laugh even harder.
-Bender, Futurama
Casaubon
Shocking

Member 539

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 05:17 PM Local time: Oct 20, 2006, 03:17 PM #22 of 55
At it's core, One Piece is a kids anime (SHONEN LOL). But that doesn't mean adults or older teens or whatever can't enjoy it. Even in Japan, OP has a huge following with the college kids, I guess since they grew up with OP but still. And most of the people that I know that love One Piece are usually in their low twenties, so yeah, I think you'd like it. I haven't really seen anyone say that they don't like it, no matter what age, unless they are just basing their judgement on the 4kids version.

cento
Carob Nut

Member 14167

Level 4.31

Oct 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 06:13 PM #23 of 55
ok I guess I'll DL a few eps and see how I like it. I like Naruto now and that isn't really aimed at adults. I watched the first 90 eps or so within a week about 2 months ago, but then I moved and haven't really watched it since. I'm not big on starting a new anime series in the middle of another one, but since both aren't finished yet, I guess I don't have a choice.

FELIPE NO
Oh wait, you're serious. Let me laugh even harder.
-Bender, Futurama
Logan
The Universe's Most Wanted

Member 10849

Level 4.85

Aug 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 02:25 PM #24 of 55
Originally Posted by cento
I'm 21, do you think I'd still like it?
I'm 21 and I like it. You decide.

Planetenbrecher
D.

Member 702

Level 4.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 09:33 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2006, 03:33 AM #25 of 55
Good storytelling is for all ages.
I'm also 21 (I began with 18) and this show doesn't stop to amaze me.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > One Piece, anime wackiness meets Pirates of the Caribbean