Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] XSEED's Quality Fishing Resort is a gem among the shovelware

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:11 PM 3 #1 of 3
XSEED's Quality Fishing Resort is a gem among the shovelware

First off, I know I'm not gonna appeal to anyone to this platform/genre but I'm merely exercising making a OT for this game really just for the sake of OTs of other games later on. So bear with me and read on!

Release Date: 11/22/11
Price Point: 30 USD Bundle, 20 USD game only
Developer: Prope
Publisher: Namco Bandai/XSEED
Genre: Sports/Vacation
Metacritic: 69

Creator of Sonic, Yuji Naka at his Prope Studio, brought us this wonderful gem for the wii for fans of fishing, relaxation, and aquariums for fish to capture for your own viewing pleasure! This game comes in a stand alone copy to a bundle with a makeshift rod peripheral for your wiimote and the nunchuck.

If you're worried about not adapting well with it, no worries, its completely doable without. And best part is, you're only missing 30 dollars out of buying this bundle! 20 if you're lucky to find a stand alone copy.

Plus it also is Motion Control only during the cast/reel parts. They've done a good job making it not so invasive and cumbersome switching the two. If you haven't gotten one yet (Zelda's wiimote exclusive bundle lol), its doable without.

As for the plot/story/motivation; there isn't any! You can just come and go as you please at your own leisure! You find plenty of fishing opportunities at any location with available shop for bait and lures. The main hotel area's shop will have upgrades in rods and reels as well as plenty of great to hilarious avatar set pieces. Each hub has their bulletin boards to tell you which activities/contests are available to which targets you can achieve for bonus or double points for each successful capture.

Each location are varying in such natures from cold, temperate, tropical, fresh water, even with a jungle setting!

Trailers:
Great introduction to the game.
Hilarious RPG analogy.

Reviews:
Nintendo Power: 75
Fishing Resort Review for Wii from 1UP.com
XSeed Games Announces Fishing Resort for Wii Coming to North America this Fall - Wii News at IGN
GameShark | Reviews | Fishing Resort Review
Fishing Resort (Wii) Game Review on Popzara
Diehard GameFAN | Review: Fishing Resort (Nintendo Wii)

Quote:
Is this coming to Europe?
No clue. Its up to Namco to decide so its a TBA. Its JP/NA release for now. Quiet one at that too. This game was delayed a few times so this doesn't help much for their sales. So much for hope for seeing it across the ocean.

Quote:
How about Canada?
It SHOULD be available in Walmart and Toy R Us; keep in mind though, this is a small and quiet release so its very possible it'll be hard to find. Keep an eye out for it!

Quote:
Is there Co-op in this?
YES! You can have another to join you in your game and help you net the fish you need! You can have a second wiimote and activate another avatar ingame to assist you in fishing. However, the spoils will stay with main player, since its more of a competition to who catches it first. In ice fishing in true competition sense, you can have 3 of your friends to join in to see who can win the most fish.

Quote:
I'm left handed, can I work with reversing the rod/reel?
YES. I'm left handed in this regard despite of being a heavy righty. I just find it very natural to hold the rod on my left and reel in with my right. The game allows you to implement the change in their settings.

Quote:
Where can I get the time extension rewards?
There's obviously not enough hours in the day to go fishing is there? The reward for getting enough targets fulfilled will net you an Alarm Clock that allows you to wake up 2 hours earlier. A Night Pass will be rewarded after you do several activities, it'll extend the time from 7 pm to 12 am.

Quote:
How many areas are there?
Eight main hub areas that has a hotel that you can go and stay in. However, there's Island tours that you can register for as well as Trolling tours around the specific oceans. So really there's about 15 in all to visit!

Quote:
What else is there besides fishing?
There's plenty of activities to participate in; Fish Counting, Kayak Racing, Symbol Hunts, Submarine Viewing, Sniper Casting, ProFISHancy Quizzes, and side quests! There's at least 3 side quests for every hub you go to! Or you can just upgrade your Aquarium and enjoy the visuals there. You can be sure to sink in some hundred of hours into this game.

As for the fish, aquarium, tackle, types of bait/lures to capture these fish is pretty indepth!

There's over 200 fish to capture/fill an aquarium with and to S rank! Not only that, you can get a few more special extras when you go online and do some competitive fishing! Heck there's a password prompt you can do on the laptop to add a fish!

The Aquarium in this game did an excellent job rewarding you with immersive visuals as well as taking part in earning profits in form of Fish Points as currency. You earn more as there's more visitors at your Aquarium. You'd buy sections for respective temperatures and fresh/salt waters and upgrade it as much as you can buy. Don't worry you'll earn plenty of fish points by selling the fish back to the Hotel which in turn puts in your Aquarium. The more diverse the more attractive the sector is.

You also use your Fish Points buying fishing rod/reel upgrades as well as bait and lures. There's 4 types of sizes and respective rods/reels will work with. Small, Medium, Large and the rare X-Large. Bait and lures will also reflect their capture rate with the sizes of fish as well as types of fish. You'll have your rod/reel but you'll also always start with 20 standard bait when you wake up ingame so you can never be without any bait at any given day.

Do not worry, there's helpful tutorials on floater and lure fishing. In fact, there's a tutorial for every first thing you do, may it be using a kayak, bicycle, motorboat, inflated raft, or any other activity you participate in. The bulletin board is to go to for these and they refresh daily at each hub you go to.

As for your own hotel room and luxuries with it, you'll have a laptop, a suitcase of goodies, and a notice from the Aquarium on your profits.

In your suitcase are a set of clothing which will take you into a submenus of plenty of avatar items you can apply on your avatar may it be apparel to glasses to hats.

The rod/reel shop at the main hub hotel will have these on their sale menu. You also have an photo album that catalogs your photos during your photo taking sessions during the submarine tours. These may also get tacked on the bulletin boards too!

Next to it is a Photoguide to Fishing which is a catalog of fish (by map) that may be found in each location you've fished in. Shadowed fish as in not being discovered yet, but the bulletin boards' notes of target will assist you to find these guys easier! Notes of targets tells you their locations as well as necessary tackle size to capture them with. There's even an index for quicker access to view each fish's current rank.

Next to that is a Journal you'd record your daily events before you go to bed. You record your points earned from the captures and which fish you've caught at what time. This is helpful in refreshing your memory if you have not revisited the game in a while. You'll also record your targets achieved even if not, activities done and their time span in doing so.

And on your laptop, you have access to your Awards for Common, Special and Miraculous types. Each time you achieve an award (usually doing something for the first time will do it too) will net you some fish points! You can accumulate a LOT of points by achieving a lot of records. Which in this case, the laptop also have Ranking which you can look up by Biggest size and # of caught along with WFC records if you're online. There's Aquarium Profits that will display a nice graph of daily changes that occur with # of visitors, price of admission and profit. Finally, this is also where you'll find your settings, for your lefties, turning on/off tips, WFC, and the multiplay avatars.

This game is no shovelware! This game is a gem among fishing games I've ever played. If you do not pick this up right away at that very reasonable price, I'll come over and smack you with a fish. <3

This is me and my lucky 4th catch of Alligator Gar!

Additional Spam:
Sorry about that guys, I keep updating it lmao. I keep forgetting something.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Philia; Dec 19, 2011 at 11:30 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Detection

Member 16824

Level 14.04

Dec 2006

Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:47 PM #2 of 3
It's probably my fault for expecting something closer to Sega Marine Fishing out of this but I didn't enjoy it that much. Also is it just me or does the game bother you with rod alignment a lot more often when using Motion Plus than when you're not? I ended up playing without it most of the time. I already gave up on the game, I just wanted to get to the big fish right away but instead the game kept giving me sardines and other lowly stuff for too many game days. It was only $20 and there's a ton of content so I'm not too bothered by it, though. The game itself is good, just not what I wanted right now.

Most amazing jew boots
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:14 PM #3 of 3
LMAO you want big fish right away. There's your problem, its like saying you want the final boss in a rpg already. Or better yet just watch the cutscenes of MGS4 on youtube.

Anyway, I didn't use the rod/reel attachment because well I like free handling it and on switching to my left (I'm a righty) when I reel with my right hand. I switch out when I'm trolling though.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] XSEED's Quality Fishing Resort is a gem among the shovelware