Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Official Final Fantasy XIII Thread

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2007, 01:46 PM Local time: Dec 17, 2007, 12:46 PM 4 #1 of 1141
Well, yeah, Final Fantasy VI was very successful as well, right? That doesn't mean I have to take it seriously. To me, Kefka makes great villain in the same way as a sock puppet makes a great Hamlet. I'm not saying VI isn't a good game, I just don't think it's some shining masterpiece of storytelling that still makes all the following games pale in comparison.
Final Fantasy 6 is what it is because it's a SNES game. People appreciate it for what it is, a great work on a limited medium, the same as people still appreciate black and white movies. Look what they got that old 16 bit pixel machine to do!

The reason Squeenix is such a joke these days is because their storytelling has not improved since FF6. They have these vast resources to bring to bear on the PS2, the PS3. There's essentially no limits on dialogue, no Nintendo forcing them to water down their plots for a children's audience. Full access to voice acting, a giant CG farm to render whatever scenery they want. The sky is the limit.

And what do we get? The same old shit they were doing back on the early consoles. It's the same console RPG template over and over again, just with new costumes and different backdrops. Same cliches, the same straightforward kill the bad guy, save the world plot in every game. Emotional conflict has easy resolutions, and all the problems in the world can be solved by finding the right evil bishonen and beating the tar out of him. They substitute complexity for depth, and blind you with pretty FMVs and summon effects so you don't notice the difference.

I'm not asking for Shakespeare here, just a plotline that doesn't insult the player's intelligence. The only thing really remarkable about Squeenix's games these days is how expertly they pander to the target 10-16 demograph.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Official Final Fantasy XIII Thread