Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[:plant:] Favorite vs. Puzzle Game?

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:41 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2009, 10:41 AM #1 of 12
Favorite vs. Puzzle Game?

Shin's thread about Nintendo vs. Sega days made me think about how everyone has their favorite games they like to play with friends. Generally it's a pretty decent list of varied titles, but just about everyone has that one game that became the supreme battle for intellectual superiority.

So what's your favorite multiplayer puzzle game?

Mine used to be Tetris Attack; I'd play it with one of my friends every night for over two years, but then I bought Pokemon Puzzle League so we wouldn't have to keep on hooking up the SNES every time. We gave the 3D mode a shot, and each game lasted over 30 minutes since we were just chaining off of each other's chains of each other's chains of each other's chains, etc etc etc. It totally destroyed the experience of the game for me, and I still have a hard time enjoying it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
leaf
Leaf, not Leech

Member 11406

Level 6.55

Aug 2006

Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:45 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2009, 07:45 PM #2 of 12
Family Feud for NES. I was winning because I knew at least a few english words

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:48 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2009, 06:48 PM #3 of 12
Bust a Move 2 every time. We used to have truly epic sessions of that which ended with nobody knowing who'd won as the score counter maxes out at 99 all. I had one mate who, being colour blind was a bit shit at it and even he loved that game. It's such a simple game of the surface but there's real tactical depth to it when you get the hang of it. Do you just pop everything that appears in an attempt to keep your side clear or do you collect a lod of balls hanging off a pair, hoping to drop them all at once and fuck your opponent with the risk they'll send something over and block off your access to the dropping point. Fucking legendary game.

More recently I've got back into Super Puzzle Fighter which again, had a lot more depth than you first think. My girlfriend picked up the PS1 version for a quid in a charity shop and she's now better than me at it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2009, 01:51 PM #4 of 12
I would say Tetris Attack simply because it IS my favorite, but not enough of my friends actually play it for some decent competition.

So at this point in time, Tetris. Simple enough to pick up and play, and it's a great time killer when you're waiting in really long lines with your friends. Most of my friends have it on their flash carts (as do I) so it's really just an awesomely quick game to jump into.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:52 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2009, 01:22 AM 1 #5 of 12
I'm a big fan of Pokemon puzzle league, me and my best friend use to play it all the time even though I wasn't very good at it.

I think my favorite puzzle game has got to be Kirby's avalanche. I wasn't really big into Kirby games and even puzzle games in general. This game in particular just had an addictive aspect to it, I use to play it with my younger brother all the time. I even liked the soundtrack for it. I kind of liked the little commentary when you did chains throughout the game with the female voice going:

YEAH
EXCELLENT
WATCH OUT
HERE IT COMES
AVALANCHE!!!!!!!!!!

One of my best memories concerning multi-player puzzle games, comes from playing Dr. Mario with my aunt. As a kid, I use to play a lot of nes games, I could never get my parents or even any adults to play any games with me. My cousin had bought a copy of Dr. Mario and her mom just couldn't put the game down. I played against her a lot and she was really good, but yeah its really fun when you eleven years old and playing awesome Dr. Mario matches with your aunt.

I was speaking idiomatically.
NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2009, 02:03 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2009, 05:33 PM #6 of 12
I think my favorite puzzle game has got to be Kirby's avalanche. I wasn't really big into Kirby games and even puzzle games in general. This game in particular just had an addictive aspect to it, I use to play it with my younger brother all the time. I even liked the soundtrack for it. I kind of liked the little commentary when you did chains throughout the game with the female voice going:

YEAH
EXCELLENT
WATCH OUT
HERE IT COMES
AVALANCHE!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, Puyo Puyo would probably be my favourite too. Although as a kid I was more of a fan of Mean Bean Machine than Kirby's Ghost Trap (or Avalanche). I had Puyo Pop Fever for Gamecube which was a blast with people who knew how to play it, but I don't think I have ever been as good as when I played it for endless hours as a 8 year old.

Meteos is also a fucking blast with multiple people and can get really tense after it starts to speed up. A friends and I played this for 8 hours straight when driving from Melbourne to Adelaide. It was great. Still probably my favourite DS game.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2009, 02:25 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2009, 08:25 AM #7 of 12
What. Nobody said Puzzle Fighter? Bust a Move is awesome too, as are Puyo-Puyo and Magical Drop.

How ya doing, buddy?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2009, 03:19 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2009, 09:19 AM #8 of 12
I said Puzzle Fighter.

Also, Chu Chu rocket with four people is about the most tense game you can possibly have. In the group I use to play with we all had pretty different tactics too. One guy was all about collecting as many mice, one guy concentrated on sending cats at people and I tended to work on denying mice to other people (The other guy was a bit crap and just lost a lot). That combination led to some really close matches and on occasion, an actual fight.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2009, 05:47 AM #9 of 12
I don't often actually play puzzle games with friends, but I did play Pokémon Puzzle League a lot with my sister. While it's fun and all I think my vote belongs to Tetris DS: Push. Never have I had that much fun with a puzzle game before I took it in to EB. One time I was playing with a stranger online and the round didn't stop for close to half an hour! I definitely miss playing Push. Best part of Tetris DS.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2009, 06:04 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2009, 12:04 PM 1 #10 of 12
I said Puzzle Fighter.
Aww sorry. You mentioned several other good ones too so I just missed it in the crowd. In fact your taste in games to play with friends shares a ton with mine, although I'd have to add Bishi-Bashi and Mario Kart, from those eras that you mentioned. Oh wait it was in another thread you mentioned all those other classic multiplayer games, I have no excuse. oshit.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2009, 07:09 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2009, 06:09 AM #11 of 12
I wouldn't say it's my favorite multiplayer puzzle game, and I know a lot of people don't even think the game is that good, but fuck if me and my sister didn't have good times with Yoshi on the NES. The game was pretty simplistic, but we still must have played it for hours on end despite owning other puzzle games at the time such as Dr. Mario and Tetris.

Also, this was probably the first game to establish that my sister could actually beat me at games (I fully admit that even though I can easily beat my sister in most genres, puzzle games are the one genre that she usually always beats me in).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2009, 08:14 AM #12 of 12
Angel of Light said it for me. Kirby's Ghost Trap (Avalanche) did it for me. I played it some years back and while I was playing to beat it, King Dede just about had me but thanks to my 13 chain combo, he was more than in tears. xD That 13 chain combo was a complete surprise too.

But other than that though, I haven't really gotten the chance to play much of these with someone.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [:plant:] Favorite vs. Puzzle Game?