Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Metal Slug Anthology (Wii)

Toma
Pu.Li.Ru.La

Member 987

Level 11.46

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 11:34 AM Local time: May 10, 2006, 09:34 AM #1 of 54
Metal Slug Anthology (Wii)

http://revolution.ign.com/objects/825/825884.html

Quote:
May 1, 2006 - SNK revealed exclusively to IGN today that after a long absence from Nintendo's home consoles it has signed up to develop games for Wii, the platform formerly code-named Revolution. SNK's first title for Wii is Metal Slug Anthology, a compilation of classic Metal Slug projects. Best of all, these games have been enhanced to take full advantage of Wii's innovative free-hand style controller, which translates gestures made by players into on-screen movement.

"Fans worldwide have been looking forward to our return to Nintendo platforms and what better way then to bring our complete Metal Slug arcade collection to Wii," SNK Playmore USA Corporation president Ben Herman said in a statement. "The Wii controller will be used in a new and unique way that enhances the gameplay. Our fans have demanded that we support Nintendo platforms. Let the celebration begin."

Hero Rossi is armed and ready to take down any enemy who crosses his path

Metal Slug Anthology will feature such classics as Metal Slug, Metal Slug 2, Metal Slug X, Metal Slug 3, Metal Slug 4 and Metal Slug 5. SNK has not yet confirmed if Metal Slug 6 will be on the compilation, but that is a very real possibility. The publisher would only officially state: "This will be a full arcade collection including many additional surprises."

A version of Metal Slug Anthology is also expected for Sony's PSP handheld, but the Wii version will obviously boast exclusive controller functionality in addition to any separately added games or features.

The Metal Slug franchise was born to life in 1996 for the now-defunct Neo-Geo console. The arcade shooter took inspiration from the hit Contra series and served up a healthy dose of frantic run-and-gun-style cooperative two-player gameplay. The Metal Slug name describes a massive tank in the game, but much of the side-scrolling missions in the series challenge players to go on foot as Lieutenant Marco Rossi, a tough-guy military leader whose mastery of projectile weapons is second to none.

All of the Metal Slug games retain the original's style: 2D side-scrolling missions with beautiful hand-drawn art. Old-school players even today trumpet the franchise's extremely fluid animation and impressive on-screen carnage.

Further specifics about the Wii version of Metal Slug Anthology will be made available at E3 2006, where the game is expected to be playable in some form. Official screenshots will be released at that time. In the meanwhile, though, SNK has hooked IGN up with several pieces of official Metal Slug Anthology art work. Readers can view the media in our images section below.
NIIICE :doggy:

Hopefully they'll make the extra controls optional. If they pull this off it will be awesome, Wii will be getting an old-school fix (in addition to the "virtual console").

Jam it back in, in the dark.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 11:42 AM Local time: May 10, 2006, 07:42 PM #2 of 54
I heard about this a while back and was very surprised. I've been wanting to play arcade perfect conversions of 1 and 2 on a console for ages now (the PS1 versions were quite lacking) and the prospect of playing the games on the PSP doesn't appeal to me too much. Metal Slug Advance worked decently on the GBA, but the system was different from the arcade originals, and that's why it was alright for handhelds.

I admit I am intrigued by the possibilities with the Wii controller. At first I felt it can't be done, SNK's originals are so "retro" and require such precision, the Wii controls simply can't cope, but it'll certainly be interesting to see what they come up with.

That said, I do hope they offer a "classic" mode, where you can play the games with the Wii Classic controller, because then the package would be just perfect, plus it'll be a great demonstration of how Wii handles 2D graphics.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; May 10, 2006 at 11:45 AM.
ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 12:39 PM Local time: May 10, 2006, 09:39 AM #3 of 54
I'm excited. My run & gun skills are WAY out of shape, though. There need to be more good run and gun games.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Lizardcommando
WHAT?!

Member 1286

Level 18.96

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 01:01 PM Local time: May 10, 2006, 11:01 AM #4 of 54
Pretty damn sweet if you ask me. Metal Slug is one of my most favorite game series. In fact, that's the game that has inspired me to try and make it into the game industry.

BTW, does anyone know if Metal Slug 6 will be coming to any consoles?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 01:07 PM Local time: May 10, 2006, 03:07 PM #5 of 54
Now THAT's a good news! Bring back more 2D games! We're missing 2D games!!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 01:30 PM Local time: May 10, 2006, 10:30 AM #6 of 54
Originally Posted by SketchTheArtist
Now THAT's a good news! Bring back more 2D games! We're missing 2D games!!
S'one reaon I'm so excited about the DS and Wii, is that there are a LOT of 2D style games coming, especially for the DS (New Super Mario Bros, anyone?)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
scotty
I'm not your friend, buddy...

Member 649

Level 24.90

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 01:30 PM Local time: May 10, 2006, 10:30 AM #7 of 54
I can hardly wait until the Wii comes out now, I can't miss out on this game! I hope they come out with some good online features other than highscores, maybe unlockable levels (hopefuly thats not too much to ask for)

How ya doing, buddy?
ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 01:33 PM Local time: May 10, 2006, 10:33 AM #8 of 54
Originally Posted by scotty
I can hardly wait until the Wii comes out now, I can't miss out on this game! I hope they come out with some good online features other than highscores, maybe unlockable levels (hopefuly thats not too much to ask for)
Can you imagine ONLINE two player Co-op? It probably won't happen, but still, that would be amazing.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 03:53 PM Local time: May 10, 2006, 02:53 PM #9 of 54
I've never played a single Metal Slug game. (Outside of this one time but it was so frelling hard that I immediately got frustrated ^^;

i'm looking forward to this.

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 06:02 PM #10 of 54
Originally Posted by Qwarky
I admit I am intrigued by the possibilities with the Wii controller. At first I felt it can't be done, SNK's originals are so "retro" and require such precision, the Wii controls simply can't cope, but it'll certainly be interesting to see what they come up with.

That said, I do hope they offer a "classic" mode, where you can play the games with the Wii Classic controller, because then the package would be just perfect, plus it'll be a great demonstration of how Wii handles 2D graphics.
I agree. But it's Metal Slug, I have to be interested in it. I really don't think that you'd be able to survive with the Wiimote.

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 06:05 PM Local time: May 11, 2006, 02:05 AM #11 of 54
Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
I agree. But it's Metal Slug, I have to be interested in it. I really don't think that you'd be able to survive with the Wiimote.
I personally keep thinking you don't move the character with the wiimote, you aim with it.
Think Abuse, but with the wiimote replacing the mouse. I honestly would love to try Metal Slug like that, the enemy wave patterns would change dramatically since you could run and shoot behind you at the same time.

scotty
I'm not your friend, buddy...

Member 649

Level 24.90

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 06:09 PM Local time: May 10, 2006, 03:09 PM #12 of 54
Originally Posted by ¯\(º_o)/¯
Can you imagine ONLINE two player Co-op? It probably won't happen, but still, that would be amazing.
I'd probally die of a happiness overdose...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Lizardcommando
WHAT?!

Member 1286

Level 18.96

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 07:47 PM Local time: May 10, 2006, 05:47 PM #13 of 54
I personally keep thinking you don't move the character with the wiimote, you aim with it.

Maybe with the vehicles only. You'd probably move the Vulcan Cannon's position with the Wiimote. That seems more reasonable to me. I can't imagine it would work with the characters; aiming the weapons, I mean.

J-Man
Taller than a tree

Member 102

Level 23.11

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 07:57 PM Local time: May 10, 2006, 05:57 PM #14 of 54
Personally, I would use the classic controller for any Run and Gun game like Metal Slug. The 'Mote would be way too hard to be fast and presise on for a game like metal Slug. Also, any kind of online play would probably result in me needing to change my pants, if you know where I'm headin' here.

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 10:02 PM #15 of 54
Think Abuse, but with the wiimote replacing the mouse. I honestly would love to try Metal Slug like that, the enemy wave patterns would change dramatically since you could run and shoot behind you at the same time.
So you're saying that the games would get harder?! :aargh:

How ya doing, buddy?

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 08:32 PM Local time: May 27, 2006, 02:32 PM #16 of 54
Quote:
- SNK Playmore USA president Ben Herman mentioned the company's future plans:

* Developers are looking into how to use the Wii controller in Metal Slug Anthology
* Metal Slug 6 will not be included in Metal Slug Anthology, however the game will likely appear in a Nintendo platform, because 2D games are not suitable for PS3 or Xbox 360
* Sony has rejected a number of their 2D projects for PS2, because they do not correspond to the graphic standard
* Metal Slug for GBA is a port of the first title in the series, coming out in September 2006
* SNK Playmore does not plan to release future titles for Xbox
* Wii will receive the most software support from SNK Playmore
* The PS2 shooter Twinkle Star Sprites will not be published in US because there's no market for the genre
It's a good thing Metal Slug 6 is still coming to the PS2 at the end of July.

Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 05:19 PM #17 of 54
Hey, no replies in a while!

Metal Slug 6 has been ADDED to this and the PSP version, so +1

Originally Posted by SNK Playmore USA
WALL, NJ. – September 22, 2006 – SNK PLAYMORE USA CORPORATION, the US publishing arm of the SNK PLAYMORE CORPORATION, announced today that they will add the latest game in the series, METAL SLUG 6, to METAL SLUG ANTHOLOGY for the Nintendo Wii™ and the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system.

METAL SLUG ANTHOLOGY will now feature seven great METAL SLUG titles. Included in the collection will be METAL SLUG, METAL SLUG 2, METAL SLUG X, METAL SLUG 3, METAL SLUG 4, METAL SLUG 5, and METAL SLUG 6.

METAL SLUG 6 was released in the arcades earlier this year and expands the cast of playable characters by two. In addition to the METAL SLUG regulars – Marco Rossi, Tarma Roving, Eri Kasamoto, and Fio Germi, METAL SLUG 6 includes Ralf Jones and Clark Steel of IKARI WARRIORS .The METAL SLUG 6 storyline returns to the Rebel-Martian alliance featured in Metal Slugs 2, X, and 3, but now players have to team up with the Rebels and Martians to defeat an even greater threat.

METAL SLUG ANTHOLOGY will ship in November 2006.
Source

Well apparently it's still confirmed to be a launch title, correct me if I'm wrong, so this might just have surpassed Excite Truck for my #1 launch title.

Still don't know how the controller will work, however. I really doubt there won't be an option to use classic controls; SNKP can't be THAT incompetent.

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 05:56 PM Local time: Sep 27, 2006, 07:56 AM #18 of 54
I'd like to see some good old SNK fighter collections

FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 06:48 PM Local time: Sep 27, 2006, 01:48 AM #19 of 54
Think Abuse
Oh man you're a genius! That would be the best thing ever on the Wii. How I loved that game.

This is exciting too of course, Metal Slug freakin' rocks. I used to play Metal Slug at the arcade constantly, so I'll definitely pick this one up I reckon.

Nintendonomicon
Mama's boy

Member 1640

Level 16.17

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 09:05 PM Local time: Sep 26, 2006, 07:05 PM #20 of 54
Originally Posted by avanent
I second this man.
Whassup, King of Fighters Collection?

Most amazing jew boots
Return to Crystal Lake...

My Wii Friend Code 1942-4227-2974-0276
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:42 PM Local time: Sep 27, 2006, 12:42 PM #21 of 54
Originally Posted by Nintendonomicon
I second this man.
Whassup, King of Fighters Collection?
King of Fighters, Fatal Fury, Samurai Spirits/Showdown...

yes, please.

I kind of lost touch with fatal fury, not sure how many of those ended up being released... but I'd snap up a KoF and SS collection in no time. Fatal Fury collection would require some examining first.

Nintendonomicon
Mama's boy

Member 1640

Level 16.17

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:57 PM Local time: Sep 26, 2006, 08:57 PM #22 of 54
King of Fighters, Fatal Fury, Samurai Spirits/Showdown...

yes, please.

I kind of lost touch with fatal fury, not sure how many of those ended up being released... but I'd snap up a KoF and SS collection in no time. Fatal Fury collection would require some examining first.
Well, the last Fatal Fury was probably Garou: Mark of the Wolves, which was awesome. If I remember correctly, after its Arcade release it came out on Dreamcast and PS2 (at least in Japan).

Samurai Shodown would also be sweet. As for non-SNK fighters, an arcade-perfect rendition of Super Street Fighter 2 would also be quite welcomed, and (OMG) Guilty Gear too.

Return to Crystal Lake...

My Wii Friend Code 1942-4227-2974-0276
Kesubei
Puzzle Person

Member 971

Level 17.04

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:32 PM Local time: Sep 27, 2006, 12:32 AM #23 of 54
Originally Posted by Darkcomet72
Hey, no replies in a while!

Metal Slug 6 has been ADDED to this and the PSP version, so +1

Still don't know how the controller will work, however. I really doubt there won't be an option to use classic controls; SNKP can't be THAT incompetent.
I've been thinking about that. If Metal Slug only used two actions buttons instead of three, it'd be no problem. For that sort of thing, I suppose the Classic Controller will do the job. If you don't want to spend the extra $20 though, SNKP will probably come up with something lame, like having to sharply lift the controller to jump while buttons 1 and 2 shoot and throw grenades, respectively.

FELIPE NO

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2006, 02:57 AM Local time: Sep 27, 2006, 08:57 PM #24 of 54
Considering that there's tons of SNK fighters individually released in japan, I don't think it'll ever happen.

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2006, 09:14 AM Local time: Sep 27, 2006, 11:14 PM #25 of 54
Originally Posted by Elixir
Considering that there's tons of SNK fighters individually released in japan, I don't think it'll ever happen.
Thats actually the reason I don't buy them... too damn many to buy/choose from. I stand there looking at them... which one of these is best? hmm... and I end up buying none of them...

A collection on the other hand... I'd buy that shit likity split. They don't have to be the brand new ones, they can be a collection of the older ones. Theres only been 2 Samurai Spirits released this current decade, if they didn't want to include the newest two to keep them marketable on their own, I'd be more than fine with that :P The last Fatal Fury game was released prior to 2000, quite a while ago. So... the liklihood of _any_ of those being on the market... not so much. King of Fighters has a crap load of games though, and there still making more. But even collections of it could be done.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Metal Slug Anthology (Wii)