Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Classic] Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, great game or GREATEST game?

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 01:25 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2006, 04:25 PM #1 of 36
Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, great game or GREATEST game?

So Sega's just spent like a year porting the original Sonic to Game Boy Advance, a very tricky task indeed! Surely this would ensure it to be a decent conversion. Small screen? No problem! Just cut off the edges and shit!

WHERE AM I GOING?

To celebrate the fact that they're charging $20 for this (because why spend $20 on Sonic Mega Collection on the consoles, or $20 for Genesis Collection on PSP when you could spend $20 on this one Sonic game!), they've added the ability to do Sonic's charged up spin dash. That's certainly a new idea, never seen before, especially not in Sonic Jam! But what else have they added?

Quote:
the most glaring issue with Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis is that Sonic is completely neutered of his ability to run really, really fast because the game suffers from serious slow-down issues.
Slowdown? Sounds good!

Quote:
As if the chuggy framerates weren't bad enough, you'll also be treated to an intolerable amount of pop-in, where platforms and other little environmental doo-dads will suddenly appear out of nowhere. There is nothing more frustrating than jumping onto a platform that is just about to disappear and having no idea where to jump next because the GBA simply can't handle drawing it into the background. Worst of all, it makes no sense why this should happen at all - it's not like the Game Boy Advance can't handle the game. It's shoddy programming, pure and simple, and there is no excuse for it.
I didn't think this was possible in a 2D platformer, but it's certainly a nice innovative addition!

Quote:
Sega crows about the original Sonic the Hedgehog music being included in the game, but the reality is that the tinny, bassless tunes are just a pale shadow of the original bubbly anthems. You can also see this lack of fidelity in the game's graphics, which are just barely okay and lack the quasi-3D punch of the original game.
Aaah rape music, all the kids are crazy about rape music these days.

Very impressive indeed! Here's the full review.

See and hear it in action!

So, great game or greatest game? Clearly this is GREATEST GAME. <3

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Infernal Monkey; Nov 17, 2006 at 04:27 AM.
Kesubei
Puzzle Person

Member 971

Level 17.04

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 01:53 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2006, 02:53 AM #2 of 36
Doesn't the GBA have Blast Processing?

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Zyzex
dicks

Member 15142

Level 6.82

Nov 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 01:57 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2006, 10:57 PM #3 of 36
Holy Shit. The sound is what got to me the most. But did they really have to zoom in on the area right next to Sonic so much? Why couldn't they just make Sonic smaller so they could show the rest of the screen? Ugh, why would you want to rush this? SO MANY QUESTIONS!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 02:14 AM #4 of 36
That's one hell of a port. Sega's not getting enough money out of the Sonic franchise, are they?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 03:19 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2006, 12:19 AM #5 of 36
Originally Posted by Kesubei
Doesn't the GBA have Blast Processing?
You stole my witty comment I'll say it again anyways.

BLAST PROCESSING!

That's really unfortunate. I wouldn't really play it on GBA anyways...

I was speaking idiomatically.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 03:26 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2006, 06:26 PM #6 of 36
You'd think after all these years, Nintendo would have learnt from the crippling lack of Blast Processing in the SNES!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 03:29 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2006, 02:29 AM #7 of 36
Sega/Sonic Team is single handedly managing to destroy their keystone franchise. With everything they've released for Sonic they've gotten progressively worse and worse.

I was under the impression that even if they did have minor flaws, the handheld Sonic games at least stayed true to the formula and weren't bogged down with 20 million glitches. Now they can't even do handheld ports right.

Look at the Mario Advance games which were pretty much GBA ports of Mario All-Stars with minor additions. How do you fuck a port that simple up? Its like they're trying to kill off their moneymaker. Sonic 1 isn't even the most graphically advanced Sonic game by any standards. It doesn't have half the bells and whistles of 2 or 3 and yet they somehow manage to make it WORSE?

Whoever is in charge of producing/overseeing the current crop of Sonic games should really be tossed out on their ear. This has long passed the point of ridiculous.

FELIPE NO
PsychoJosh
Banned

Member 1511

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 03:40 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2006, 02:40 AM #8 of 36
Oh dear god in heaven, is it SO FUCKING HARD for Sega to make a Sonic game that doesn't suck these days? Sonic's been in a nasty downward spiral ever since SA2 and he's one bad game away from crashing and burning.

The new game coming out soon doesn't look so bad but I'm sure Sega will find SOME way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The storyline is already convoluted as shit and I hate it. And plus they still have the balls to add features from that Shadow the Hedgehog game despite the fact that it was such a huge flop... wow.

The only people who'll buy this horrendously shitty port are idiotic furries who'll post in their deviantart journal about how awesome it is.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Grubdog
Custom User Title

Member 780

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 03:45 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2006, 06:45 PM #9 of 36
They have to be doing this on purpose and laughing at us.

Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 04:26 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2006, 04:26 AM #10 of 36
The GBA has been a dumping ground for bad ports of 16-bit games since its inception. At this point I assume any game ported to it will be horribly neutered until proven otherwise.

I honestly don't understand why it seems to be such a popular thing for developers to do, it's pretty simple to do the math to figure out that a screen HALF the resolution of what the original game ran at isn't going to work well when you just port it directly over. Newsflash: cutting off 50% of the screen isn't going to work for a vast majority of games out there! And while they're at it they add glitches, remove features, and now in the case of Sonic the Hedgehog, add slowdown and objects that phase in and out of existance!

They should've skipped the crappy port and just remake the game.

Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 04:36 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2006, 02:36 AM #11 of 36
In all honesty I think the testers listed in the game credits of every Sega game are randomly picked names. Sega does not fund a testing department or test their games before release. Each game that Sega develops is always the most buggy piece of trash anyone has played.

Gosh. While playing PSU, a game Sega has spent 3 years on and delayed for "polishing", I find my NPC controlled characters getting stuck in the wall/ground way too often. They just get stuck for no reason at all! Of course this is expected when they can't even properly port a 16bit game to an old handheld system, so I am not surprised at all.

How ya doing, buddy?
devilmaycry
Chocobo

Member 4461

Level 13.07

Apr 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 05:05 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2006, 10:05 AM #12 of 36
When I was a little kid, around 10yrs old I used to sit and think: What will happen to Sonic if Sega/Sonic Team disapears? Now I know.... :'(

Most amazing jew boots
evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 07:46 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2006, 01:46 PM #13 of 36
Originally Posted by devilmaycry
When I was a little kid, around 10yrs old I used to sit and think: What will happen to Sonic if Sega/Sonic Team disapears? Now I know.... :'(
I reckon they will be forced to start making good games.

What was their last good game that wasnt a complete fiesta of glitches? Crazy Taxi?

devilmaycry
Chocobo

Member 4461

Level 13.07

Apr 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 09:04 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2006, 02:04 PM #14 of 36
What? Care to explain better? They'll be forced to do good games? I fail to see why won't the continue to do bad games and end up in bankrupcy.

Sin Ansem
Miyamoto digs Negi Springfield

Member 1148

Level 21.64

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 09:29 AM #15 of 36
...what a fucking disappointment.

Sonic 360 might have that Adventure quality to it, but THIS is inexcusable. I mean they haven't screwed up a 2-D game since LABRYNTH.

Nintendo PLZ to taking Sonic away from those bastards. It makes my heart BREAK.

FELIPE NO
Balcony Heckler
The Comedy Art of Insult

Member 13861

Level 15.34

Oct 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:25 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2006, 12:55 PM #16 of 36
it just came out again with STH2 in the Sega Genesis collection for PS2 as well

You know what? you just might be full enough of shit to apply for congress
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:16 PM Local time: Nov 17, 2006, 11:16 AM #17 of 36
Why is Nintendo still making GBA games? Haven't they heard of this handheld called the DS that's sold over 10 million units worldwide?

Sonic Collection port on DS ftw, still making GBA games ftl...

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:55 PM Local time: Nov 17, 2006, 11:55 AM #18 of 36
I didn't think the BGM was bad, but the SFX is a total loss. And the framerate is visibly choppy. No excuse for this.

Thank god I didn't buy this one. The only GBA Sonic Game that was good really was Sonic Advance 2.

Sin Ansem
Miyamoto digs Negi Springfield

Member 1148

Level 21.64

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 01:40 PM #19 of 36
...rly.

Thought Advance 2 was the worst of the lot. Advance 3 was the most pimp.

But way to screw up a 2-D Sonic. I spent all my years weeping for my fandom, but now I get to weep for Sonic Team. D:

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 02:02 PM #20 of 36
It just doesn't sound the same as the Genesis version or the port on Mega Collection...music and sounds.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Balcony Heckler
The Comedy Art of Insult

Member 13861

Level 15.34

Oct 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 02:32 PM Local time: Nov 17, 2006, 05:02 PM #21 of 36
Originally Posted by SuperSonic
It just doesn't sound the same as the Genesis version or the port on Mega Collection...music and sounds.
sweet, the SataM is coming out on DVD

You know what? you just might be full enough of shit to apply for congress
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2006, 01:06 PM Local time: Nov 19, 2006, 12:06 PM #22 of 36
Other "glorious additions":

*speed shoes don't let you go any faster
*loop jumping doesn't work at all
*jumping no longer reduces your speed at all
*jumping on upward slopes to jump higher barely works
*jumping out of a roll leaves you in full control of movement during the jump
*you don't stop moving when you land after taking damage
*damage always knocks in the direction you're not facing
*you can't bounce high off of item monitors or enemies
*you can't push blocks during a jump
*bosses don't reverse your speed when you hit them, instead it matters where you hit them
*bosses push you away when you hit them even if they're still invincible
*you can jump through slopes if you hit them while still moving upward
*zipping doesn't work anymore
*if you press in the direction you're already moving while running backwards, you instantly stop
*in general, when moving at a high speed, the only effective way to slow down is to press forward (in the wrong direction)
*you can jump into and out of lava or fire without taking damage
*if you beat Labyrinth 3 too fast, the game freezes

Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2006, 02:08 PM Local time: Nov 19, 2006, 01:08 PM #23 of 36
That is completely and totally obnoxious....

FELIPE NO
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Nov 19, 2006, 07:37 PM Local time: Nov 20, 2006, 10:37 AM #24 of 36
Wow! Forget greatest game, this has now exceeded all of that. Stuff of legends, SEGA'S BACK!

Kesubei
Puzzle Person

Member 971

Level 17.04

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2006, 06:23 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2006, 07:23 AM #25 of 36
People, people, people... At least Sonic Rush was Hideki Naganuma good. Don't forget.

Who developed this, by the way? Which team, specifically?

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Classic] Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, great game or GREATEST game?