Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS2] Odin Sphere - Hot sex from Atlus

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2007, 03:47 AM Local time: Jun 1, 2007, 01:47 AM #176 of 240
Question: Why is Velvet a fucking hassle to control?

I like the character and all but it's like Mercedes with a limited range. Bah, I'll get used to her, I suppose.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2007, 06:04 AM Local time: Jun 1, 2007, 05:04 AM #177 of 240
Answer: Because her third jump goes through anything unharmed, her 4th hit in the regular combo (no directional) hits four times (twice front twice back), her aerial abilities are hacked, and her charged homing chain can almost reach the entire mini-map.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2007, 09:52 AM Local time: Jun 2, 2007, 03:52 AM #178 of 240
I think I've trapped myself in a corner. I'm on chapter 2 in hard, fighting against Velvet, with no healing items and only 44 hp. I can't do anything since I saved on the level as well.

Also this game looks really good in 16:9 though it doesn't support it. Great use of my new tv.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2007, 10:39 AM #179 of 240
You can always press Start and choose "Home." That'll take you out of the area with all of your current items and levels. Great if you're trying to grind psypher levels.

How ya doing, buddy?
Lumikatos
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 22573

Level 1.10

May 2007

Old Jun 1, 2007, 04:59 PM #180 of 240
Something bothering me about the plot that I'm unable to figure out.

Ragnanival is the kingdom that King Odin rules, but what is Nebulapolis and where is the Old Palace Terrace, or whatever that you are when you first wake up from the sleeping spell?. Are they both the same thing?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2007, 09:04 PM #181 of 240
Without um... reading through the thread thus spoiling myself, I have a question regarding kitchen/cafe hp LEVEL. Not HP Max or HP Exp, I meant level.

Someone recommended to level up your hp by using alchemy? instead. I can see using Yogurt for this. But I could be over-analyzing the whole thing about hp levels regarding using full potential from exp gain from making tons of food this way. I just wonder if the HP level itself is affected by eating for exp from the cafe/rest. instead? Like I said, I could be just over-analyzing.

I only have 3 recipes so far, but I want to make sure I'm not abusing my hp level by eating out of pocket when I could just go to the restaurant instead. Which sucks is that I have plenty of items that I want to conserve for later meals. Damn it I want my recipes...

So is it highly recommended that I wait on the HIGHER HP MAX recipes?

That way I get a LOT more hp max gain and little exp required for this before leveling up my hp level with tons of exp.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Philia; Jun 1, 2007 at 09:27 PM.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jun 1, 2007, 10:32 PM Local time: Jun 1, 2007, 08:32 PM #182 of 240
Well, first and foremost, I didn't go the HP raising route. I actually progressed using Alchemy. Certain Boss Fights can be won (on "Hard", no less) using only Napalm. I mean, make about 6-8 Napalm and throw them at Velvet. She will NEVER touch you. Probably the easiest battle I had.

My strategy for fighting became hooked on the Attack boost accessories. If you don't want to fuck with HP boosts, boost your Psypher using high level Alchemy. If you get to level 35, all you need is an accessory that boosts your attack power (I used the one that gains more power as you lose HP and got hit intentionally in some stages to keep my HP low), Overload, and the level 3 Psypher skill that I can't freaking remember the name of either.

If you make high level alchemy stuffs, boost your Psypher, and use the gains you get doing this to your advantage, you can beat the first book without much difficulty. Book 2 on the other hand, I just got to and I didn't have the patience at 4 in the morning to try and figure out the new strategy.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2007, 10:41 PM #183 of 240
I thought about that. I think its just that **** kicked my ass so many times with his darn cheatin' attacks that sucked up my hp so much. So instead, I went back around winterhorn and forest for leveling my psyher and hp levels. I gained so much of my psyher levels with that exp stone equipped while I was raising chickens by gaining seeds from the drops/chests for hp boosts. Pretty nifty path til I got the rest./cafe to open up for me. And yeah when I went back to ****, I kicked his bucket on the first try.

**** =
Spoiler:
Odin

So I thought about going down the route of saving food stuffs for the cafe/rest. instead but I like the yogurt idea though. So I'm debating on my path right now whether if I should be concerned with boosting my hp this way.

Psyher attack whatever, I'm not concerned with that til I feel like attempting on HARD. Its the HP max that carry over.

Most amazing jew boots
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jun 1, 2007, 11:06 PM Local time: Jun 1, 2007, 09:06 PM #184 of 240
I don't know, I ran through Book: Valkyrie on Hard just to get a feel for things and it had its moments of "I just died in one hit, thanks guy." HP just didn't matter, I had already seen the discussions on how to break it, but what's the point if you don't want to get hit anyway? I clocked in at 5:15 gameplay time, though a few hours weren't registered on where I spent time learning what mechanics worked in game and what didn't.

Believe me when I say that "Attack Boost Accessory/Overload/Shadow Image" is a boss killer when you see Gwendolyn land that fourth critical hit. The slowdown that occurs gives you generally enough time to react, and a lot of the bosses you're actually going to use that on are huge, so Air Combos are definitely not out of the question and come out lightning fast compared to being on the ground.

That said, aside from that strategy which I found made the game fun as hell, I kind of reflect the sentiment that the game is definitely pretty but occasionally has sections where I just don't dig what I need to do to win without hassle. Like the Velvet battle, on Hard no less. The way she can move is insane, I wish I had those options, but I don't. So I exploited her apparent dislike of fire. I don't like combat in which I do very little combating, and in Odin Sphere, there's very little sense in many fights trying to learn patterns when you can sit back and throw the weight of items and Psypher growth around like nobody's business.

To reiterate, I'm not of the mind to just gain HP and slug it out; however, I'm not going to engage a war of attrition either. I shoot for at least an A rank on any area I enter, even if that takes practice or an assessment of strategy, but I've never really liked the fusion of RPG and straight combat in this kind of fashion. At this point, Odin Sphere feels very hit and run, with engine exploitation on the side. I wish there was more to it than that, but this is only Gwendolyn and every other character plays differently. So that's kind of moot on my part, anyway.

rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2007, 11:12 PM #185 of 240
Spoiler:
man, wagner is kickin my ass(on cornelius character, 18/17 is my levels.. i can get him halfway.. i need food lol

How ya doing, buddy?
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2007, 06:01 AM Local time: Jun 2, 2007, 04:01 AM #186 of 240
Answer: Because her third jump goes through anything unharmed, her 4th hit in the regular combo (no directional) hits four times (twice front twice back), her aerial abilities are hacked, and her charged homing chain can almost reach the entire mini-map.
The homing chain I found useful for most of chapters 3-7, third jump VERY USEFUL in Chapter 6 Act 5 (The one you mentioned. Take note people, this battle is HARD AS NAILS. I shit you not. It took me more than 10 deaths to get a hold of things without suffering major damage); aerial abilities EXTREMELY useful throughout (yes). In short, like Mercedes but with a lot of tricks, correct?

Also now at that place.

Spoiler:
Armageddon chapter. Yep, will most likely run characters to the gauntlet AGAIN. Meaning facing that Chapter 6-5 in Velvet just makes me ARRRGGHH HULK FUCK DAMN SHIT PISS ANNOY BURN HATE HATE HATE

Most of my characters are in mid-20s. Man, I need to level them up MORE.

How ya doing, buddy?
Black Mage
Nothing beats a Sunny Day!

Member 264

Level 10.71

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2007, 10:58 AM #187 of 240
I beat the game earlier in the week, but yesterday I finally managed to get one of the two extra scenes. The game's pretty tough, but still very fun.

Spoiler:
In the Armageddon chapter I just went back and prepared items and experience for the fights. For example, in the Rabbit Cafe, there's a dish which consists of Milk, Cheese, Egg and an Ariel coin. All of which (minus the coin) you can buy from the Pooka vendor outside. It's something like +12 HP and 1900 Exp. Not too bad, and when you can dish out 8 or 9 in a row, it took very little time to raise everyone's HP over 1000. Velvet's the only one who it takes some time to get, as the Pooka won't sell those material until her Epilogue.

But anyways, I'm still missing a few recipes. The only stages I skipped were the five-star stages in Titania, and I've since gone back with Cornelius, and there wasn't even a recipe there. Of course, the other three characters I'll have to check, but I'm missing 12 between the two stores. That doesn't really add up.

So my question is to those who've gotten that last star, do you obtain some recipes through purchasing a lot of food from the chef (Such as the Churros to get the Chocolate Churros), or do they all drop in chests? I also wonder if any are missable based on your grade in the stage.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Lacerta

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2007, 12:08 PM Local time: Jun 2, 2007, 11:08 AM #188 of 240
12 recipes require you to make a previous one multiple times.

Incase nobody wants to know?:

Pooka Kitchen:

03. Seafood Salad (Gwendolyn Chapter 5) -> 04. Fish & Fruit Salad
06. Salad (Gwendolyn Chapter 6) -> 07. Mandra Salad
09. Salmon Escabeche (Mercedes Chapter 6) -> 10. Muggle Escabeche
17. Cream Stew (Oswald Chapter 5) -> 18. Turny Cream Stew
21. Gnocchi (Oswald Chapter 1) -> 22. Tricolor Gnocchi
25. Omelet (Gwendolyn Chapter 4) -> 26. Cheese Omelet
28. Chicken Au Gratin (Mercedes Chapter 3) -> 29. Smothered Chicken

Cafe Rabbit:

05. Crepe (Cornelius Chapter 6) -> 06. Marmelade Crepe
07. Churro (Velvet Chapter 1) -> 08. Chocolate Churro
12. Cheesecake (Oswald Chapter 5) -> 13. Yogurt Cheesecake
20. Cremet d'Anjou (Velvet Chapter 2) -> 21. Yogurt Cremet d'Anjou
22. Yogurt Mousse (Cornelius Chapter 4) -> 23. Yogurt Fruit Mousse

Anything not in there is something you missed on other characters, should probably go inspect. If you did no variation unlocking by the time you reach Fate Chapter 6 Act 1 you should be missing only 12 recipes.

On the topic of Armageddon, some advice:

Mercedes has the hardest time with the last two bosses. This is because they REQUIRE double jumping. Sadly if you want all the scenes you will need to use her in one of these battles. I recommend the 4th one because it is easier to hack with Mercedes when you figure it out. You might want to bring a few Unlimited Powers, Painkillers are optional but if you do it right you shouldn't need any (doesn't hurt to be safe though). Once you actually get to the top and break the eye, it will start to fall. Simply fly into the air and follow it, and you should be able to safely land on the platform without falling to the bottom like some of the others. Then once the eye becomes vulnerable again you can wail on it as it comes to the top. If you do enough damage it will break just as it gets up and fall down again. Repeat.

For the 1st boss, you've already fought it once before, still just as annoying.

2nd boss, no real tricks from this thing here. It's just an endurance battle. When the heads go into the ground I tend to just ignore them and wait for them to return instead of hunting them down (it's more painful to hunt them down).

3rd boss, you've already fought it once before, annoying but not impossible.

4th boss, I tend to scale the right side and reach the peak and attack from there. Velvet can also land on the peak if not one hop away from it with the proper timing and positioning before using the chain swing.

5th boss, chutes and ladders! =o Really you're just climbing, it's doing everything it can to knock you down. If you are hit once you fall down and have to climb up again (how much you fall down seems to vary?). Sometimes the head will appear to attack you, you must beat the crap out of it immediately. It can either bite (which isn't too bad) or unleash the Armageddon upon you which is like instant kill even for the toughest of characters (although I'm sure if you grinded waaaay too much you could survive it). Some characters like have problems doing damage to it once they reach it, you need to flail on the crown because it put up a shield of sorts.

There are character specific scenes and generic scenes. The generic scenes only need to be fought with anyone who doesn't have a character specific one and then the entire roster has their generic specific scenes unlocked.

1st boss: Cornelius, Mercedes, and Velvet each have a special cutscene.
2nd boss: Cornelius and Oswald each have a special cutscene
3rd boss: Gwendolyn, Mercedes and Oswald have a special cutscene
4th boss: Velvet is the only one with a special cutscene
5th boss: Gwendolyn is the only one with a special cutscene

You can unlock them in any order you please.

Is it just me or does Odin Sphere feel like Wagner's Ring of the Nibelung except in a game form. Most of the things in the game seem like references to it. Some things don't match up though.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Lacerta; Jun 2, 2007 at 09:24 PM.
Black Mage
Nothing beats a Sunny Day!

Member 264

Level 10.71

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2007, 08:19 PM #189 of 240
Thank you, Lacerta. Those were the 12 I was missing.

DarthSavior
PUT YA GUNS ON

Member 188

Level 12.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2007, 08:56 PM Local time: Jun 3, 2007, 03:56 PM #190 of 240
Is there any easy way to beat those wizards in Titania that disappear once they are hit, aside from hitting their swords back at them? Mercades' narrow line of fire makes things so much more difficult. >_>

Lacerta

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:15 PM Local time: Jun 3, 2007, 08:15 PM #191 of 240
You can try using Piercing Shot (Mercedes), or Phozon Burst, or Mercedes' charged shot.

Some of those probably will not kill them in one hit, but it gets the job done.

You could also try Napalms and stuff too. I hear Blizzard is a really powerful Alchemy Mix.

How ya doing, buddy?
Jujubee
Good Chocobo

Member 416

Level 16.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:48 PM Local time: Jun 3, 2007, 10:48 PM #192 of 240
Odin Sphere is frustrating, but in a good way. I was really expecting it to be easy, so I started off on hard mode, then switched to normal after the 2nd boss or so. Getting my ass kicked never felt so good, I'm on Ch.4, Act.3 at the moment with 44 HP, no food, and only in the second stage/room. When do you get to play as the other characters? This game must be really long, and with a story like this I hope it is.

I can't wait to play as Velvet.

Last edited by Jujubee; Jun 3, 2007 at 11:53 PM.
Lumikatos
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 22573

Level 1.10

May 2007

Old Jun 5, 2007, 05:05 PM #193 of 240
To me, the game is turning out to be another Okami, or Shadow of the Collosus. It's beautiful to look at, but simplistic and undeniably straight-foward.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2007, 05:12 PM #194 of 240
Yes. Simple but beautiful has proven worthy.

Has anyone had had problems
Spoiler:
fighting with brigan
with Cornelius?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jun 5, 2007, 07:52 PM Local time: Jun 6, 2007, 03:52 AM #195 of 240
It was a heck of a lot easier for me that time around than with Gwendolyn, so no.

Just have a Painkiller ready and a few Napalms just in case.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2007, 08:33 PM #196 of 240
Yeah... painkiller would be SO darn useful when handling Cornelius. :\ SIGH. I should buy a bag already. I really hate how SLOW he gets when he jumps and does the attack combos for those honeyhives. :\ Its like he can't GET IT UP damn it. Pun intended. Only a running n jump can be possible but its hard to handle.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Philia; Jun 5, 2007 at 08:41 PM.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2007, 08:54 PM #197 of 240
So I finally got the game, and played it for hours upon hours after first popping it in. I also like how the bosses stood a good chance of killing me, especially Velvet, who I had to retry against several times because I had no money for food >=(

Question: Will Painkillers still be useful later on? I think that super armour could be a double edged sword like in fighting games, and I'd get careless and absorb so much damage that my sloppiness would outweigh the benefit. (aka. almost like vs. Belial)

Taisai
Amorph

Member 8563

Level 16.22

Jun 2006

Old Jun 5, 2007, 09:20 PM Local time: Jun 6, 2007, 11:50 AM #198 of 240
Question: Will Painkillers still be useful later on?
With Painkiller and Unlimited Power, any boss can be beaten pretty easily.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:15 PM Local time: Jun 6, 2007, 10:15 AM #199 of 240
I'm waiting to find out if there's a point to playing the hardest difficulty, considering that unless the enemies get stronger and I do less damage then it really doesn't dent my strategy. Still, I'm kind of pissed about the requirements considering I'm still on "Hard" mode of all things.

And I will say this, Velvet is the least frustrating character I've had to play as. Best for last, I guess.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Rotorblade; Jun 6, 2007 at 12:19 PM.
DarthSavior
PUT YA GUNS ON

Member 188

Level 12.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2007, 04:56 PM Local time: Jun 6, 2007, 11:56 AM #200 of 240
Managed to get all the way to the Epilogue for The Black Sword. God damn, the boss at the end of the chapter is just beating me senseless. I have like 1600HP and even when using unlimited POW and hacking away at him, I barely get him down to half life before he annihilates me.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS2] Odin Sphere - Hot sex from Atlus