Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Waffle makers

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 06:17 PM #1 of 12
Waffle makers

I just tried (and failed) to make some waffles using my waffle maker. How do I use this thing properly? I greased both surfaces with some butter, but I failed. How do I know when the waffles are ready?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 07:14 PM Local time: Jun 3, 2006, 06:14 PM #2 of 12
Grease them with butter (or use a non-stick cooking spray). Pour in the batter and close the thing. Check every few minutes. When the outside of the waffle is golden brown and crispy, it's done.

Tasty waffles for all.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 07:30 PM Local time: Jun 3, 2006, 06:30 PM #3 of 12
Get a waffle maker with a non-stick coating. Then, you can have all the fluffy goodness you need without any of the mess you don't want.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 07:33 PM #4 of 12
Perhas you could describe in what ways your waffles failed. Too burnt? Came out soft and runny? Half-stuck in the mold?

I used to make kickass waffles when I worked at Perkin's. They can be troublesome but a little patience resolves most errors. One of the most important things is to make sure the iron's grooves are free of burnt-on debris. If there's too much in there, your waffles will stick.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 09:42 PM #5 of 12
I highly recommend against an already pre-coated non-stick surface because that stuff is cancerous. Use olive oil.

I was speaking idiomatically.
"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
Sarmentosa
Syklis Green

Member 3294

Level 8.00

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:07 AM Local time: Jun 3, 2006, 09:07 PM #6 of 12
If you heat the non-stick coating to the point of burning/peeling it can release toxic fumes.

I have a Cuisenart non-stick and love it. You do have to add a little cooking spray to help release the waffle as time wears on. Olive oil on a waffle?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 02:42 AM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 12:42 AM #7 of 12
Originally Posted by Sarmentosa
If you heat the non-stick coating to the point of burning/peeling it can release toxic fumes.
I know a bunch of the companies that manufacture cookware claim that all of the chemical which is used to bind the teflon to the metal is baked off during the manufacturing process. Even still, it's not good to ever leave anything in the kitchen unattended long enough for it to get to the temperatures required for this to happen.

Anyway, for waffles, I'd recommend giving a quick spritz of Pam to both sides of the iron. I know the irons they have at "Continental Breakfasts" in hotels/motels are generally set to have a three minute timer, so you might want to try starting with that and adjusting the time that way.

It'll take you a few tries to get the hang of making waffles, you should definately take a piece of paper and tape it on to one of the surfaces which stays cool and write down which time seems to work the best for you. Because I can tell you now, you won't remember in two weeks how long made the perfect waffle for you today.

FELIPE NO
gaming
River Chocobo

Member 360

Level 25.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 02:44 AM #8 of 12
Some waffle makes turns off the lights to indicate that the waffle is done.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Thanks to Fjordor for the funny image!
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 05:03 AM #9 of 12
Here's what went wrong, copy/pasted from the cooking failures thread.

Quote:
I just had a cooking failure. My mother just bought a waffle maker, so I decided to give it a whirl. I made my mix, buttered both surfaces and splashed some mix on when it was heated.

Mistake #1 - too much mix. As the stuff started to cook, mix started pouring out of the sides of the waffle maker, oozing onto the kitchen counter top. This was not a good sign.

Mistake #2 - opening the lid too quickly. Half of my waffle was stuck to the top and the other half on the bottom.

I wish that I had a digital camera to show you guys this. Cleaning it took a good 20 minutes.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 07:14 AM #10 of 12
Yeah, you don't want to fill the whole bottom section. Your waffle's gotta have expansion room. You shouldn't fill it more than 1/3 to 1/2 full. The actual amount differs between brands.

The other thing is to NEVER open it to "check" on the progress. The industrial waffle maker was set to 3 minutes and that worked pretty well. If yours gets really hot, you might wanna cut it to 2:40 or so.
RR's idea about notating the times is good.

Really, the best thing you can do is experiment a few times. I doubt there's anything wrong with the waffle maker. You just need to know what you're doing.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
ava lilly
not a lily

Member 307

Level 16.30

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 09:38 AM #11 of 12
this thread reminds of how I haven't had belgian waffles in the longest time. it makes me sad. ;_;

I think crash and a couple others have kind of covered what I would have thought of already though. just pay attention and have patience with it until you get it right.

Originally Posted by Sarmentosa

I have a Cuisenart non-stick and love it. You do have to add a little cooking spray to help release the waffle as time wears on. Olive oil on a waffle?
well, speaking of teflon pans atleast, you're not supposed to heat the element they're on over medium heat because that causes the teflon to crack and peel and you end up with teflon flakes in your food. if you take care of any teflon cookware you own, you shouldn't have a problem with these "chemicals".

I'm assuming waffle makers have teflon on them as well, atleast the one I have does, so you just have to pay attention to its condition before cooking with it. it's like anything else, you just have to take care of it and you won't end up with these problems.

just to throw something else out there, if you buy any cookware that says "no stick" on it, DON'T USE ANY NO-STICK SPRAY ON IT. once you spray it with something like that, you have to continue doing so for the duration of its use. I just recently got some new no-stick pans and they work beautifully without adding any sprays to them. infact, I find they work even better. <3

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:56 PM Local time: Jun 5, 2006, 08:56 PM #12 of 12
The one in my servery is probably one of those heavy duty expensive ones. But every waffle I made in there came out pristine. It has a two minute timer that beeps when its done. From my relatively easy experience, I just spray the non stick then pour the batter until 2/3 full. I think the amount differs between waffle maker. It's basically experience. Good luck with your waffle making, although it's sad that your experience was not very pleasant.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich > Waffle makers