Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The Hip Hop/Rap Thread

Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 01:28 AM #101 of 302
I think I'm reawakening my taste for old school hip hop. I've been on a search for all the stuff I used to listen to. I've found most of it.

I always thought Nas had a good style and I think he shows it off best in Illmatic.

I was speaking idiomatically.
reflectiVe
R.I.P., J. Dilla. (Jay Dee)

Member 5717

Level 7.21

Apr 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 02:22 AM Local time: May 2, 2006, 12:22 AM #102 of 302
Originally Posted by Lady Miyomi
I think I'm reawakening my taste for old school hip hop. I've been on a search for all the stuff I used to listen to. I've found most of it.

I always thought Nas had a good style and I think he shows it off best in Illmatic.
Illmatic reminded me of hiphop somehow. I also liked the "It was written" album. Very nice.

Look for Do or Die! You have to remember "Do you wanna riiiiiide in the back seat of a caddy.." Money Flow, Po Pimpin, Still Po pimpin, and Paper Chase were my favorite tracks.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

This is message is dedicated to real Hip-hop

Last edited by reflectiVe; May 2, 2006 at 03:31 PM.
Plug 4
チャールズ

Member 5044

Level 5.75

Apr 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 01:50 PM #103 of 302
Illmatic is one of my fav. rap album ever!

FELIPE NO

男:チャールズマーティノ; プローグー4
Hotobu
Good Chocobo

Member 5982

Level 14.90

Apr 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 05:36 PM #104 of 302
Oh man, yes you did...

Does anybody here ever listen to J-Live?
Just about every day, he's my favorite MC. The creativity and precision in his lyrics never ceases to amaze me.

As for his last album, at first I didn't like it because I listend to it passively. When I went back and actively listend to the lyrics and some of his metaphors I'd rank most of it up there with his best. Stand out songs on The Here After Fire Water, Brooklyn Public, and The Sidewalks. Lyrically the're magnificent.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 10:16 PM #105 of 302
You didn't like "Braggin' Writes" or "Longevity"? "Braggin' Writes" is my favorite.

Just a general question, does anybody here listen to slightly older hip hop?

How ya doing, buddy?
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old May 6, 2006, 07:33 PM Local time: May 6, 2006, 06:33 PM #106 of 302
That's most of what I listen to hip-hop wise.

How ya doing, buddy?
Night Phoenix
The Last Great Hope™

Member 668

Level 20.50

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2006, 03:00 AM Local time: May 7, 2006, 03:00 AM #107 of 302
I can't listen to older hip-hop because I've found that with the exception of a select few gems, the production values of hip-hop sucked majorly before 1992. It just doesn't sound good to me.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2006, 09:17 AM Local time: May 7, 2006, 08:17 AM #108 of 302
You're right about the production values, but that doesn't really bother me. I have no problem with lo-fi records.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Plug 4
チャールズ

Member 5044

Level 5.75

Apr 2006

Old May 7, 2006, 02:29 PM #109 of 302
yesterday I bought some tickets for The Roots and DJ Shadow...coming live in montreal for the jazz fest!!! yes!!!!!!

Ill see the Roots for the third time and finally for the first time DJ Shadow..I always wanted to see this dude live...right now im watching the dj shadow live dvd! hehe..

Most amazing jew boots

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2006, 02:47 PM #110 of 302
Originally Posted by Plug 4
yesterday I bought some tickets for The Roots and DJ Shadow...coming live in montreal for the jazz fest!!! yes!!!!!!

Ill see the Roots for the third time and finally for the first time DJ Shadow..I always wanted to see this dude live...right now im watching the dj shadow live dvd! hehe..
WHAT?! How much are the tickets?! I definitely need to check this shit out!!

Most amazing jew boots

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2006, 03:25 PM #111 of 302
You didn't like "Braggin' Writes" or "Longevity"? "Braggin' Writes" is my favorite.

Just a general question, does anybody here listen to slightly older hip hop?
Isn't Braggin Writes by Dj Premo and j live?

I listen to real hip-hop (rap,etc) Anything that has a hot ass beat and without a egotistical loser (50 cent) is all good. And yes i listen to the old stuff too.

Ghostface's recent album was pretty good.

Clipse of Doom is sick.

FELIPE NO
Plug 4
チャールズ

Member 5044

Level 5.75

Apr 2006

Old May 7, 2006, 03:27 PM #112 of 302
Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
WHAT?! How much are the tickets?! I definitely need to check this shit out!!
I got both for 90$

Hotobu
Good Chocobo

Member 5982

Level 14.90

Apr 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 05:31 PM #113 of 302
Originally Posted by chato
Isn't Braggin Writes by Dj Premo and j live?

I listen to real hip-hop (rap,etc) Anything that has a hot ass beat and without a egotistical loser (50 cent) is all good. And yes i listen to the old stuff too.

Ghostface's recent album was pretty good.

Clipse of Doom is sick.
As far as I know J-live is known for MC'ing that trick while spinning the records at the same time.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 04:19 PM #114 of 302
I just got ahold of Common's "Be" and I think it's pretty good. Has anybody else listened to this?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 04:21 PM #115 of 302
Hell yeah! One of my favorite albums. I wish I were a little bit longer, but then again it's good that it's not stuffed with filler and remixes and interludes and shit.

Favorite tracks are "Faithful", "The Food", and "GO!"

Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 04:26 PM #116 of 302
I'm quite fond of "It's Your World", "Be", and "Love Is". I was a little surprised to learn it wasn't as long as I was expecting. I wonder why he did that.

I agree with you on fillers and interludes. They get old after awhile, especially when you have no idea why they're even there and what they mean.

Most amazing jew boots
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 06:58 PM Local time: May 12, 2006, 04:58 PM #117 of 302
Yeah. I like the album. It's pretty good. Common performed here at my school last week, except I didn't go since I wasn't at the Wizards game. I heard it was awesome as well.

How ya doing, buddy?
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 10:47 PM #118 of 302
Now, I'm kinda curious, what's your favorite album by x-artist that you just can't see yourself parting with? Mine's would probably be "Things Fall Apart" by The Roots.

How ya doing, buddy?
Zimarooski
Carob Nut

Member 3977

Level 3.93

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 12:14 AM Local time: May 13, 2006, 12:14 AM #119 of 302
I'm actually listening to Gnarls Barkley right now, and it's just so damn REFRESHING. Seriously, get the album, St. Elsewhere. It's awesome.

Also, check out Deltron 3030 (2000) and Dr. Octagonecologyst (1997). The latter, Dr. Octagon, actually has a new CD due out on June 27, I believe, his first under the name since 1997. The single out right now, "Ants", even has help from DJ Dexter of The Avalanches. Download it right now off of my Briefcase! It's under the music folder.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/zimarooski@sbcglobal.net

FELIPE NO
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 12:48 AM #120 of 302
I'll check out the album in a few, thanks!

I think my next "I can't do without" album would probably be the one I just got, Common's "Be". Here it is if anybody wants it:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/97zf4t

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 04:54 PM Local time: May 13, 2006, 02:54 PM #121 of 302
Reading through this thread I'm surprised more of you haven't taken the initiative and uploaded more albums to the Music Exposure Club. Hip hop (and by that, I mean GOOD hip hop) is becoming a lesser distributed media and most of you are actually putting forth quite some thought into differentiating it from its mainstream media whore of a sister.

Come see us sometime.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Omega Weapon
Junya Nakano, et al.

Member 6747

Level 5.97

May 2006

Old May 14, 2006, 06:38 AM Local time: May 14, 2006, 05:38 AM #122 of 302
Hip-hop is okay as long as it is the jazz pop stella deus of Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, King of Fighters, Capcom vs. SNK, Deus Ex: The Conspiracy, and Metroid Prime. The composer sure knew what he was doing when he made fuchi komas out of "The Longshoreman" and "Vigor Force".

Other than that, since most mainstream music is instrumental rap it sucks just as much as the vocal rap because it's all one beat and uses timbre to make disturbingly poor 'songs' with terrible sound quality and even worse compositions. The only exceptions to the rule I've found have been Sean Paul, DMX, and Mariah Carrey, since they've both figured out how to compose at the highest level and reach 100% in composition and sound quality without being VGM. Mariah Carrey's newest song was all asanoganawa which means she's reached 200% and might as well be composing for a Xenosaga or R-Type game. Sean Paul's "Temperature" was a very fast paced impressionistic arcus that demonstrated some very high level of poetic skills, especially since he bolroxed in Portugese and not English. DMX was all asanoganawa too and has been ever since I first listened to them. If only they'd do more with their songs . . .

Other than that, most hip-hop begs the question for why the 'composer' shouldn't be oppressed.

Anyway, since I've composed Capcom Vs. SNK and it's trip-hop of the most psyched out levels, I know a lot about every kind of music in practically every style since I've been composing most of my life, with just about four new soundtracks composed in the last year.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2006, 12:22 PM Local time: May 14, 2006, 11:22 AM #123 of 302
Originally Posted by Omega Weapon
Hip-hop is okay as long as it is the jazz pop stella deus of Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, King of Fighters, Capcom vs. SNK, Deus Ex: The Conspiracy, and Metroid Prime. The composer sure knew what he was doing when he made fuchi komas out of "The Longshoreman" and "Vigor Force".

Other than that, since most mainstream music is instrumental rap it sucks just as much as the vocal rap because it's all one beat and uses timbre to make disturbingly poor 'songs' with terrible sound quality and even worse compositions. The only exceptions to the rule I've found have been Sean Paul, DMX, and Mariah Carrey, since they've both figured out how to compose at the highest level and reach 100% in composition and sound quality without being VGM. Mariah Carrey's newest song was all asanoganawa which means she's reached 200% and might as well be composing for a Xenosaga or R-Type game. Sean Paul's "Temperature" was a very fast paced impressionistic arcus that demonstrated some very high level of poetic skills, especially since he bolroxed in Portugese and not English. DMX was all asanoganawa too and has been ever since I first listened to them. If only they'd do more with their songs . . .

Other than that, most hip-hop begs the question for why the 'composer' shouldn't be oppressed.

Anyway, since I've composed Capcom Vs. SNK and it's trip-hop of the most psyched out levels, I know a lot about every kind of music in practically every style since I've been composing most of my life, with just about four new soundtracks composed in the last year.
I'm hoping this post is a rather elaborate joke, but I know I'll be let down.

Sean Paul creates a "fast paced impressionistic arcus"? That's comedy gold, even if we ignore that you made up a word.

Sean Paul, DMX, and Mariah Carey composing at the highest level. Now that I think about it, "What These Bitches Want" and "Keep Your Shit The Hardest" certainly rival Philip Glass in compositional terms.

Not to put down someone who knows a lot about practically every style of music, but "instrumental rap" is oxymoronic.

Seriously though, GTFO.

Omega Weapon
Junya Nakano, et al.

Member 6747

Level 5.97

May 2006

Old May 14, 2006, 01:47 PM Local time: May 14, 2006, 12:47 PM #124 of 302
Actually, the masterers of all of my music and my boss in the VGM field coined the term arcuses for my Kingdom Hearts soundtracks. The composer of Drakengard also uses arcuses. And no, impressionistic is not made up. It's a style of music used in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Seiken Densetsu, and Romancing Saga -Minstrel Song- are all impressionistic. Perhaps you should be trying to use real evidence about what those composers composed at their highest levels instead of pitling away at your integrity by insulting a VGM composer. There's plenty more VGM composers out there who feel the exact same way I do.

Instrumental rap is not oxymoronic because all it takes to make something rap is that its time signature is one beat and it uses timbre. Silent Hill and Resident Evil and Galerians are all instrumental rap because they focus on using sounds of other peoples' dissassocia in their anti-music to make up for their lack in compositional integrity. Most likely though, since every one in rap loves dissassocia it's safe to say you most likely have that disorder because nearly every one in the rap community has already denounced God and questioned his one true religion while they weren't in their studios and turned what was once great objective standards about composing into relatavistic squalor.

In the end, members like you are the joke.

Member 0: "Mommy, what's impressionism and what's an arcus?"

Mommy: "You would know if you didn't plagiarize in your music class!"

In reality, since no one in the rap community could ever hope to compose impressionistically or arcussaly it's proof their melodies will never get complex enough to paint a picture with instrumentals or combine the random with the static in terms of melodies and harmonies.

Now, moron, the theme of Parasite Eve's "Matrix" will come to haunt your dissassocia and make you atone for your crimes against God in your musical preferences. As if songs of the caliber you mentioned could ever outdo the trance of Parasite Eve, the arcuses of Kingdom Hearts, the asanoganawa of R-Type and Xenosaga and Xenogears, and the impressionism of Baten Kaitos.

*OMG, one misused word! That sure does prove videogames ruined my brain after I helped bring wanzers to the US and used my medicinal programs to cure thyroid problems and mental illnesses! Computer programmers and composers are such idiots!! -Omega Weapon does not endorse the previous relatavistic point of view. Relatavists only care about power, not doing the right thing anyway.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Omega Weapon; May 14, 2006 at 02:08 PM.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2006, 01:54 PM Local time: May 14, 2006, 11:54 AM #125 of 302
Why do you so fervently choose to dismiss any artist in favor of video game music? And why are we morons for pointing this out?

Quote:
s if songs of the calibur you mentioned could ever outdo the trance of Parasite Eve
Caliber... That's CALIBER.

Alice was right... Drugs and videogames DO kill your brain.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > The Hip Hop/Rap Thread