Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Maximum signature dimensions

Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:08 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 05:08 PM #76 of 193
Originally Posted by AcerBandit
Well, personally, Shin, I think what's really wrong with www.sega.co.jp's ava/sig is that it's two completely different interests. It's fine when someone like Mush does that b/c he changes them a lot but sega always has this huge Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig sigpic which never matches his avatar. What the hell does metal sonic have to do with GitS SAC 2nd Gig? Nothing, that's what, and neither have any of the other avatars he's had (as far as I know). He's always had that damn sig with no matching GitS avatar.

Unless you're going to pull a Mush, have your ava/sig be around the same topic.

Also, Shin, you're biased against anime and so while I'd love it if it were easy enough for you to just right click on a huge anime sigpic and tell it to not display (unless there is a firefox plugin for that) there's not much we can do about that.
Actually my GITS sig was just a placeholder until I find a newer sig (since I had a copy of it. Soon, I'll make a PNG transparency of Metal Sonic.
And Shin, your sig is an expression of what you like/who you are, it's like a T-Shirt. If an old man had a Pokemon T-Shirt, it'd be out of place yes, but that's up to the person who creates it. Considering everything you've said to me has been condescending, I don't respect what you say very much anymore...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:13 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 01:13 PM #77 of 193
I don't like sega's sig because it's dull and blurry. But that's entirely personal taste. Then again, I've never seen Ghost of the Shell or anything relating to it(it's an anime, right?) so I can't complain about it that much.

I think ava/sig combos should be matching, otherwise it's just annoying. Though anybody who hasn't seen Guu probably doesn't know that Acer's avatar matches his signature, and vise versa.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:18 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 02:18 AM #78 of 193
Originally Posted by www.sega.co.jp
And Shin, your sig is an expression of what you like/who you are, it's like a T-Shirt.
It's awesome that you think novelty T-shirts are a good way to express one's personality, but that's a weird analogy.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:18 PM #79 of 193
Originally Posted by Aardark
Also, since when do signatures and avatars have to match?
They don't. I think the point here though is that something that annoys me isn't true for everyone.

I mean who are you even talking about? Merv? Perhaps there is a reason there's a big-eyed anime character in his ava/sig. Yeah, that would be because he's watching Wandaba Style right now.

Originally Posted by Elixir
I think ava/sig combos should be matching, otherwise it's just annoying. Though anybody who hasn't seen Guu probably doesn't know that Acer's avatar matches his signature, and vise versa.
Well yeah, if anyone was that curious by now they'd know that they can click somewhere in my sig and find a couple easter eggs that'll tell them what my ava/sig is from or they just PM or IM me which has happened quite a few times. A couple of times I've even provided them with said anime to enjoy. Does your ava/sig give you chances to share your interests? [/braggart]

FELIPE NO

Last edited by FatsDomino; Mar 28, 2006 at 07:24 PM.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:25 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 02:25 AM #80 of 193
They don't. I think the point here though is that something that annoys me isn't true for everyone.

I mean who are you even talking about? Merv? Perhaps there is a reason there's a big-eyed anime character in his ava/sig. Yeah, that would be because he's watching Wandaba Style right now.
Well that's super; good thing that image is there, otherwise I wouldn't have known that he is watching it. Ho ho ho. See, I don't really want to complain about any sigs per se, anime or not, but when you start saying that limits should be raised so that you could put larger animated dance sequences in your sig, that just makes me wonder.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:34 PM #81 of 193
What is so terrible about that? I'm only asking for 200kb. That really isn't much. In order to get 200kb for a glorified dance sequence as you'd call it, it most likely couldn't be huge anyway to look half decent.

or

Both just under 200kb.

If that's huge to you then maybe you need to up the resolution on your monitor from 800x600 and join the rest of society.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:38 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 02:38 AM #82 of 193
Yeah, because not wanting the board overrun by 200 kb animated gifs like some Dragonball Z fansite definitely has direct relation to my screen resolution.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:39 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 05:39 PM #83 of 193
What is so terrible about that? I'm only asking for 200kb. That really isn't much. In order to get 200kb for a glorified dance sequence as you'd call it, it most likely couldn't be huge anyway to look half decent.

or

Both just under 200kb.

If that's huge to you then maybe you need to up the resolution on your monitor from 800x600 and join the rest of society.
Actually that'd be nice. For the low bandwidth users, why not give them the option to load the first frame only of the animated GIF? That would turn out to a 10KB Gif at most.

On another note:
I'm trying out a Sonic CD Sig now, it'll have an ugly black background until I make a decent transparency, so live with it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:45 PM #84 of 193
New sig is looking pretty good sega.co.jp

See, it would be nice if we could just have an option you can set so it doesn't display sigpics over a certain chosen size. That way Aardack could set it to 5kb and get a sigpic every century or so and the rest of us could get on with our lives.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:49 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 05:49 PM #85 of 193
New sig is looking pretty good sega.co.jp

See, it would be nice if we could just have an option you can set so it doesn't display sigpics over a certain chosen size. That way Aardack could set it to 5kb and get a sigpic every century or so and the rest of us could get on with our lives.
Or even better, submit a thumbnail, or a 16color version of the sig. Imageshack makes a thumbnail, so why not GFF?

Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:49 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 02:49 AM #86 of 193
Dude, honestly, I didn't realize that not being able to put a movie in your sig literally put your life to a halt. If your situation is honestly so grim, then seriously, go ahead and do it; no more complaints from me.

Most amazing jew boots
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:42 PM #87 of 193
Originally Posted by www.sega.co.jp
Or even better, submit a thumbnail, or a 16color version of the sig. Imageshack makes a thumbnail, so why not GFF?
Actually when making quotes with pictures in them on Something Awful it automatically makes a thumbnail of the picture to make the quote smaller. I think it's pretty nifty.

Originally Posted by Aardark
Dude, honestly, I didn't realize that not being able to put a movie in your sig literally put your life to a halt. If your situation is honestly so grim, then seriously, go ahead and do it; no more complaints from me.
Look dude, I put a lot of time into my ava/sigs and when I'm about to export it and I find out I have to remove 80 percent of the color or resize it until it's tiny and loses a lot of its detail just so it can meet our tiny 50 kb limitation for sigpics I get a little pissed off. Oh and that's AFTER I do a ton of tricks to optimize it in attempt to shave off a couple kb already. I only wanted my current bear sigpic at 200x150. That's hardly asking much but OH NO it's over 50kb. It's easily under 200kb but man that's just too friggin' much to ask for. Go over 50kb and suddenly you're ruining the Internet ESPECIALLY if that gif you've spent a couple hours on comes from an anime. An anime! For fucking shame! For that atrocity I should be locked in jail with all the pedophiles, rapists, and furries!

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:48 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 08:48 PM #88 of 193
Well, these sig rules have been in place for a long time yet you kind of act like they just popped up every time you make a new .gif sig. Not that I don't like the stuff you make, but is it really that necessary? You make some fine static images as well, so I just don't see what's the huge deal.

Then again, in regards to sigs, I am pretty passive. If whatever I make happens to be too big, I just crop/resize. Avatars, on the other hand...

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:09 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 01:09 PM #89 of 193
Since when did effort spent on a sig implicitly justify a relaxation of sig restrictions?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:27 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 10:27 PM #90 of 193

or

I think anyone who rails so much to be able to display these in their sig doesn't have much of a right to complain about what other people display, as you did above.

I don't see why we really give a fuck what people put in there, as long as it's work safe and doesn't distract from having the ability to browse GFF in a timely manner, which is why the sig limit is set low. A signature is a personal expression, so as long as it doesn't ruin someone else's experience (like huge sigs or nudity would), it's fine.

200kb is unnecessary and it has the potential to make 5 MB page downloads based off sigs alone. No, no, no.

and Brandy does her best to understand
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:44 AM #91 of 193
No actually, I've been fairly okay with 50kb. I just like overreacting here because people start going crazy when you go over the limits around here because a couple kb is really gonna kill you. I can't remember if I was as vocal the last time around but I remember Aardy wanting filesize and dimensions reduced for some reason or other and I think that was and still is a crap idea and I'm going to tell him it's a crap idea otherwise who knows someone might actually listen to him.

I don't see what the big deal is. People tolerate 200 kb pictures in posts all the time. So let's just say I decided to get rid of my signature and just post the signature code everytime I post. Would I have to abide by the sigpic rules then? Is it suddenly spam? There are people who sign their posts with their name all the time and they don't get warnings or anything. I see that as almost the same thing.

Really, I don't know who made the 50kb cutoff but they must of had static gifs and jpegs in mind when they made that decision. If you can make an animated gif that looks great, comes out at the size you want, and still makes it under 50kb then that is great, but I don't think if you work that hard that you should have to dumb it down just so it can make that limit if it happens to be over it.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by BlueMikey
I think anyone who rails so much to be able to display these in their sig doesn't have much of a right to complain about what other people display, as you did above.
BlueMikey, fuck off. It was just an example of what an animated gif with a decent amount of frames would look like as a 200kb sigpic. I thought one of the big complaints was that people were saying that one of the reasons for not wanting to up it to 200kb was people would just make really huge, long annoying gifs and so I showed that as an example to prove if you wanted a long gif it's going to end up pretty small if you don't want it to look like total shit. I never said I was going to use it as a sigpic. It was just a god damn example. Because really I can make super fucking annoying animated gif avatars and sigpics easily within the limits now if that's what you think I'm aiming for.

Last edited by FatsDomino; Mar 29, 2006 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Automerged double post.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:59 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 06:59 PM #92 of 193
I would probably never hit the gif ava/sig scene, even though I'm currently making guu gifs. It's fun, but with the restrictions currently in place and even if I did have a clue on optimizing them, it would still come out as a watered down version of the real thing.

I think people don't want everyone having animated gifs - and that, crappy animated gifs. If this situation changed and SSJ3 wasn't banned I'm sure he would dig up a gigantic 300x width Goku with hair floating around like it's underwater. Of course nobody wants that.

Obviously not everybody is going to have a 200kb sig, animated or not. It just makes animated gifs even more difficult to deal with. It's not like we're incapable of changing the replies per page to what, 25 or something. And if somebody decides to clean their cache it'd be a perfect solution.

Viewing 100+ replies per page isn't really necessary either. Even if 200kb seems steep, 100kb does not. Say everyone had a signature that totalled exactly 100kb. That means 10 users = 1 mb. That means 20 users is 2, 30 is 3. I don't have a problem downloading 3 mb worth of images once, which is then stored in your cache and doesn't require you to download them multiple times to view a page. And it's not like you're never going to see the posters in said thread in other threads, so the ones you've already downloaded will already be there.

BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:08 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 11:08 PM #93 of 193
If you can make an animated gif that looks great, comes out at the size you want, and still makes it under 50kb then that is great, but I don't think if you work that hard that you should have to dumb it down just so it can make that limit if it happens to be over it.
"But, see, I made this car. With my own hands. The only problem is that it doesn't go below 50 miles per hour. I hope that's okay, officer. See, you shouldn't get mad at me. Put that ticket book away, I did make the car after all, it was hard! It's not my fault that the car doesn't fit within your laws."

Because really I can make super fucking annoying animated gif avatars and sigpics easily within the limits now if that's what you think I'm aiming for.
I said something, then deleted it, then typed something completely different, and deleted it again. Too easy, sir.

I will reiterate that I don't really give a shit as long as it doesn't make the download too huge and is something we can all safely view at work. Your plan fails these parameters.

and Brandy does her best to understand
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:21 AM #94 of 193
Speeding is a pretty shit example, Mikey. That's like telling me I should be punished for downloading a big file too fast because I'm on a good broadband connection. Uh oh looks like some kilobytes were flying down that information superhighway too quickly and endangered some kilobytes going the good ol' speed limit we set around here. That's complete idiocy.
I said something, then deleted it, then typed something completely different, and deleted it again. Too easy, sir.
I'm not quite following what you're saying there.
I will reiterate that I don't really give a shit as long as it doesn't make the download too huge and is something we can all safely view at work. Your plan fails these parameters.
My sigpics are work-safe and since, unless you have a really shitty webbrower that has no cache what-so-ever, you only have to load them once and whenever you see a post of mine again that image is already there.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:36 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 01:36 AM #95 of 193
If Acer gets his huge fileseize limits because he puts plenty of effort into his gifs, can I claim I put tonnes of effort into biggermiu and have that as a sig? If we can increase file size limits, why not file dimension limits too! I don't like having too trim down my huge as all fuck images just so they fit within your puny standard resolutions!

Comparatively, it's not that much more aggrivating a sig than the inevitable 5 minute DBZ powerup sequences we'd be getting under a limit like is being suggested here either.

FELIPE NO
Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:38 AM #96 of 193
Sorry son, biggermiu doesn't fit in the sig dimensions which I think are just perfect at the moment but hey maybe you can get away with it on April 1st or something. ='D

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:41 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 01:41 AM #97 of 193
But money was donated! And 56k resolutions less than 5000 x 3500 is lame! People with shit displays had to deal with horizontal scrolling since FOREVER. GET WITH THE TIMES.

How ya doing, buddy?
Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:47 AM #98 of 193
Hmmm you might have a point. I mean I haven't experienced some good horizontal scrolling in a good while, what with my 1920x1200 resolution monitor. A few biggermiu sigpics would really enhance my experience. =)

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:48 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 01:48 AM #99 of 193
Be careful what you say. I could take this as staff approval of this idea, you know.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:51 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 08:51 AM #100 of 193
Acer. If your problem is having spent a load of time on something and wanting to show it off, isn't that what Creators Cafe is for?

I didn't mean to sound like it's only large anime pics I dislike, it's large pics of anything that I find objectionable. Anime avatars I dislike simply because they all look exactly the bloody same to anyone with only a passing interest in the field.

If people want a huge, animated sigpic, why not make a thumbnail version themselves for their sig and link to the bigger picture so anyone who's interested can go look (As I believe Acer has at the moment).

Alternatively, could the option to not display pictures while browsing be made more specific so as not to show sigs or avs or pictures all together? That way the filesize could be increased, the 56k kiddies could turn them off and Acer could put some longer cartoons under each of his posts.

Personally I don't care about the filesize so much as the dimensions (and gaudiness). I browse GFF in a window a third the height of the screen (I don't want people at work reading over my shoulder) and often the entire window is full of someone's sig. I'd also quite like an option to turn off the banner at the top for the same reasons...

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support > Maximum signature dimensions