Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

4th Annual G.A.N.G. Awards announced

Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 03:45 PM #1 of 11
4th Annual G.A.N.G. Awards announced

The 4th annual G.A.N.G. (Game Audio Network Guild) awards were announced at the Game Developers Conference this past week. If you want to see names of people responsible for the games that won the awards, you can go to the official site. Otherwise, here's a summary:

Best Dialogue:
God of War

Most Innovative Use of Audio:
Guitar Hero

Best Use of Multi-Channel Surround In a Game:
Call of Duty 2
F.E.A.R.

Best Arrangement of a Non-Original Score:
Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogies Revenge

Best New Audio Technology:
Microsoft XNA Audio Format

Best Audio Software:
Spectrasonics STYLUS RMX Realtime Groove Module

Best Audio Hardware:
M-AUDIO MicroTrack 24/96

Best Game Audio Article, Publication, or Broadcast:
The Treatment of Music in Games - Part I, II & III, by Jim Charne

Best Interactive Score:
God of War

G.A.N.G. Recognition Awards:
Nile Rodgers and Jim Charne

Best Original Instrumental:
"The Tragic Hero" from Peter Jackson's King Kong

Best Cinematic/Cut-Scene Audio:
God of War

Best Live Performance Recording:
God of War

Best Original Vocal / Pop:
"Katamari on the Swing" from We Love Katamari

Best Original Vocal / Choral:
"Muse" from Advent Rising

Best Original Soundtrack Album:
Jade Empire

Sound Design of the Year (Tie):
God of War
Call of Duty 2

Best Audio/Other:
Lumines

Best Sound Library:
East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Choirs

Best Sound Design in a Sports or Driving Game
Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Rookie of the Year:
Gerard Marino

Lifetime Achievement Award:
Bobbie Prince

Distinguished Service Award:
Paul Lipson, Mark Guleno, Shiloh Hobel, Jerry Lyons, Michelle Sorger

G.A.N.G. 4th Annual Student/Apprentice Competition

Music Composition:
Wilbert Roget "The Awakening of Anubis"

Sound Design:
Carsten Rojahn "G.A.N.G. GTA Contest"

Music of the Year:
God of War

Best Use of Licensed Music:
Guitar Hero

Audio of the Year:
God of War

God of War really cleaned up. Noticeably absent is Shadow of the Colossus. Do you think that's warranted?

Also, what do you think about Jade Empire getting the Best Original Soundtrack Album award? I haven't listened to it, so I don't really have any idea how it is, but I don't recall many people here talking about it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Last edited by Drakken; Mar 28, 2006 at 03:48 PM.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 04:11 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 02:11 PM #2 of 11
Originally Posted by about the G.A.N.G. Awards
The G.A.N.G. Awards recognize music, sound design and voice acting as three distinct disciplines. Award eligibility is not restricted to G.A.N.G. members exclusively - any individual, product or project may receive an award for a contribution to interactive audio.

G.A.N.G. Members may make nominations for any category.
Shame the site only lists the winners and not all the nominees, so we can't tell if the stilted results are due to nomination bias or the fact that G.A.N.G. members really, really like God of War.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 04:12 PM #3 of 11
Originally Posted by CHz
Shame the site only lists the winners and not all the nominees, so we can't tell if the stilted results are due to nomination bias or the fact that G.A.N.G. members really, really like God of War.
I think it's obvious that it's both.

Most amazing jew boots
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 04:55 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 01:55 PM #4 of 11
I don't get what so many gaming press people see in God of War's music. Shadow of the Colossus owns that shit for free. Furthermore, this seems to perpetuate the believe that a game soundtrack isn't worth mentioning unless it's orchestrated and sounds like it came from a movie.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 05:45 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 12:45 AM #5 of 11
Originally Posted by Drakken
God of War really cleaned up. Noticeably absent is Shadow of the Colossus. Do you think that's warranted?

Also, what do you think about Jade Empire getting the Best Original Soundtrack Album award? I haven't listened to it, so I don't really have any idea how it is, but I don't recall many people here talking about it.
It's an american award, remember. I don't see what's so strange about this outcome.

I was speaking idiomatically.
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:41 PM #6 of 11
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G
Furthermore, this seems to perpetuate the believe that a game soundtrack isn't worth mentioning unless it's orchestrated and sounds like it came from a movie.
And yea, then the heathen did say: let it be thus perpetuated, for such is pleasing to mine ears

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:18 AM #7 of 11
Originally Posted by Drakken

Best Original Soundtrack Album:
Jade Empire

Music of the Year:
God of War
And the difference is...what? I have the same problem with the Grammys and their "Album of the year and Record of the Year" bs.

FELIPE NO
Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:20 PM #8 of 11
Gotta give props to Wilbert Roget, aka bustatunez, for his victory in the 4th Annual Student/Apprentice Competition. We never got to meet while he was busy at Yale and I was home for the summer, but Wil's a great guy and I wish him nothing but success. His track was short and sweet, fit the contest's middle eastern motif to a T, and featured Star Salzman on vocals. Nothing but quality there.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:38 PM Local time: Mar 30, 2006, 11:38 AM #9 of 11
Sounds like you gots tha cunnekshunz.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery
Onyx
Chocobo

Member 384

Level 10.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 08:17 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 07:17 PM #10 of 11
Quote:
I don't get what so many gaming press people see in God of War's music. Shadow of the Colossus owns that shit for free.
At least SOTC should have gotten best Interactive Score. God of War having an Interactive Score my ass.

And I'm extremely confused about God of War winning "Best Dialogue." They noticed that GOW had dialogue? While the story was very good, the dialogue wasn't anything I'd write home about...who the hell gives out an award for "Best Dialogue," anyways? Way to go, Tommy T.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:11 AM Local time: Apr 1, 2006, 01:11 PM #11 of 11
I'm a bit confused over the need for a "Music of the Year" and a "Best Original Soundtrack of the Year" distinction. Can a Music of the Year winner also be the Best OST of the Year? I'm thinking there are some differences between the two categories but the ones I can think of now are not very strong.

I've always been a bit disappointed with the selection of games the GA.N.G. awards highlight. While I am rather supportive of Western VGM, the G.A.N.G. awards are much too heavy on Western VGM. While I can understand the slant for Western material for the Oscars/Emmys, it's not like games from the East don't reach the mainstream population in the West. It's a pity only big name/popular Japanese games ever make it to the awards. And even then, I was rather surprised SotC even made it (then again, SotC didn't seem to make so big an impact where I come from). Perhaps, as some have pointed out, the awards are very fixated on orchestrated material.

I do think it makes more sense for the G.A.N.G. awards to have a few categories for "foreign VGM."

With regards to the Best OST winner, while I do like Jack Wall's work, Jade Empire didn't really impress me that much. Admittedly, it's pretty good. I appreciate how Wall strived for an authentic oriental sound and some of the traditional Chinese nuances were nice. But after a while, Jade Empire isn't particularly impactful, creative and original. Save for a few exceptions, there isn't enough variety in the soundtrack. I do think Wall did more interesting work in the Myst games. Then again, my opinions are based without game context so I might be missing something.

In hindsight, I think I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the score for Jade Empire because it doesn't quite live up to what I've come to expect for a wuxia (roughly translated as "martial arts") game. Having been raised on a plethora of wuxia flicks and drama serials for as long as I can remember, I've come to expect all things wuxia to have a certain style and spirit. I don't quite hear that in Jade Empire. Sure, it captures a traditional Chinese sound but where's the soul of the swordsman? Not substantial enough, I fear.

On that note, I think Hirota's and Nakano's use of the cymbals is a bit more interesting and impactful. :P

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
I think therefore I am... I think.

Last edited by Elorin; Apr 1, 2006 at 02:31 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > 4th Annual G.A.N.G. Awards announced