Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

KIDOU KEISATSU PATLABOR

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 01:19 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 11:19 PM #151 of 166
4th consecutive post LOL and bump for happy Police Justice.

I just finished watching Patlabor 1 LE. What a blast.

A few things to note:

Pros:

Rich visuals and textures. The translations this time around are very spot on and even allowed me to interpret and understand the essence of the Ark diemma much better. Just a switch of the wording can open up a new way to interpret that from the Manga release.
They kept the "Sightseeing? No, Combat” intact, thank God. They didn’t keep the labor worker’s lines the same though. This was right after followed by Ohta’s comments that he was trying to be nice while dealing with a taxpayer.

Despite this is the first ever occurrence of me watching an anime that has been totally re-dubbed by the original seiyuu, most of them seem quite in place. I feared that ten years would impact them slightly, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Shinobu’s voice seems a bit more motherly like now, while Ryûnosuke Ôbayashi’s voice work seems to have died down a little. He doesn’t quite capture that suave and slick voice from ten years past, but still, it’s good to hear him sound just peachy in 1998. Note that I don't have a 5.1 surround system, so this might be why. I should check if there is an option for the 2.0 stereo or whatever suits my TV speakers. LOL TV speakers.

Cons:

Since when the hell did Gotoh and Shinobu get promoted to Commander. Their respective ranks are Captain and will stay at Captain. I don't know if this was just a piss poor job at getting their ranks right, while getting much of the rest of the translation spot on. Seriously. This is the biggest peeve I have of this version. I sure as hell didn't pay a ridiculous sum of money just for these guys to screw around with the police rank. Unfortunately, Patlabor 2 will probably be looking at the same fate.

The sound was very unbalanced. Some instances the music was overpowering the voices, such as at 1'16'', assaulting in the Ark. Ohta's voice is muffled out quite a bit with the sound effects, and I don't recall it being this quiet in the Manga release. Other parts, you can barely hear the music. At the pizza parlor, the cheesy, but loveable, 80's background music is so faint that I tried to hear that more than Noa and Asuma's conversation.

With that pointed out, the archives book is my dream come true. 148 some pages doesn’t seem like a lot, but the content there is just mind blowing and allows the reader to appreciate and look at more closely what the movie is pointing out. I found that the first few times I watched the film, I tend to doze off during the E Hoba searching parts, but after seeing that this part of the film isn’t concentrating so much of searching for him, but depicting to both to the detectives and the audience why Mr E Hoba set his cunning and devious plan into motion. Seeing the run down areas of a 1999 Tokyo in animated form was both a treat and yet at the same time, felt nostalgic.

All in all, this was a damn expensive piece of Patlabor goods.

#06076 btw...LOL.

FELIPE NO

- What we all do best -
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 24, 2006, 04:51 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 12:51 AM #152 of 166
Mwahahaha, it's finally here~

Arrived earlier than Amazon predicted, and didn't even got stuck in customs. <3 <3 <3 our postal service for random toll grabs.

Watching this in a sec so bad.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2006, 05:37 PM Local time: Jul 24, 2006, 03:37 PM #153 of 166
Win. Hopefully mine comes tomorrow or Wednesday. IT CAME TODAY!!!! KITTTAAAA!!!!~~~~~

You did have a nice low number.

Whomever gets 0001 or 9999 or even 10000/10000, those numbers win major Ingrams.

Qwarky may not get his hands on the MG Plastic Ingram, however, he might have a shot at the Kaiydo Revoltech AV-98 Ingram =0. Due out this September.

EDIT:

LOL I love my mail man:

WIN.

How ya doing, buddy?

- What we all do best -

Last edited by Spatula; Jul 24, 2006 at 06:57 PM.
BlueNocturne
Syklis Green

Member 2459

Level 7.53

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 02:22 AM Local time: Sep 3, 2006, 12:22 AM #154 of 166
I'm glad I found this topic. Patlabor is definitely my favorite anime franchise. I was wondering if there was an exact release date for the Kaiyodo Revoltech AV-98 Ingram yet. I've been looking around, but havent had any luck in finding a date.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Pyocola
Dried Goby

Member 2248

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 05:41 AM Local time: Sep 3, 2006, 11:41 AM #155 of 166
I've seen several different dates, most of them in the second half of September. On a related note, does anyone know what kind of material these Revoltechs are made of? Is it harder plastic or is it the same, awefully soft and 'rubbery' kind that was used in the earlier Kaiyodo EVAs? (I really hated those. Why is there no Soul of Chogokin Ingram? )

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 01:29 AM Local time: Sep 5, 2006, 11:29 PM #156 of 166
To hell with the toys, HLJ finally got a new shipment of the Master Grade Kits man!

http://www.gamingforce.com/forums/jo...&entryid=11501

GOD DAMANAMNM! I paid $120 too much just for some damn plastic....;___;

That's ....2 new PS2 games right there man! Or 1/3 of my college course.

Okay fine, here's the dinky toy if you're interested, but it's no where near as AWESOME as my beloved MG Ingram.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

- What we all do best -

Last edited by Spatula; Sep 6, 2006 at 01:33 AM.
BlueNocturne
Syklis Green

Member 2459

Level 7.53

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 02:43 AM Local time: Sep 6, 2006, 12:43 AM #157 of 166
To be honest, I've always loved looking at detailed models, but I've never built one myself. For someone with no previous experience of model building, would it be very difficult to build one of those Master Grade Ingrams? I suppose since they snap-together and already painted, it wouldnt be too difficult for a beginner.

Also, if anyone is interested, there's a contest that Bandai Visual has started where you can win some promo items and a hardcover storyboards book that was released in Japan with the 15th anniv. DVDs. In order to enter you have to fill out a survey regarding the quality of the Honneamise releases.

Unfortunately there's isn't a form where you can just select answer, you have to copy and paste the questions and write out answers in an email in send it in. Regardless, I'm still going to give it a shot. If it's anything like the Japanese LE of Ghost in the Shell(packaging looks identical even up to the book), then the storyboard book will be pretty nice.

http://www.bandaivisual.us/patlabor2/news.html

I was speaking idiomatically.
Pyocola
Dried Goby

Member 2248

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 04:19 AM Local time: Sep 6, 2006, 10:19 AM #158 of 166
I'd love all the MG ones, but unfortunately I gave up on model kits many years ago because I realised I sucked, so they'd just be a waste of money. More specifically I sucked at painting them, partly I guess because I didn't know the first thing about airbrushes or coats or how to make them look weathered and stuff and never bothered to find out (and of course to paint the body of an entire aircraft by hand = ugly.) I still have a couple of them on my shelf and looking at them almost makes me cry.

Double Post:
Sent in my feedback to that survey, though I'm not eligible for the prizes (not that I wouldn't want a 'Luxurious sparkling poster' but I guess the storyboard books are the real prizes and I of course already have both of the translated ones.)

Q and Spat, if you complete the survey make sure to mention the lack of the original 2.0 tracks in the audio section in order to prevent something similar happening to GunBuster.

Also, I want more money.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Pyocola; Sep 6, 2006 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 01:17 PM Local time: Sep 6, 2006, 11:17 AM #159 of 166
Blue, as in terms of runners and complexity of the kit, this is what you're looking at. If you want to do a good job, it'll take probably easily 40 hours worth to get everything nice and touched up.

Quote:
To be honest, I've always loved looking at detailed models, but I've never built one myself. For someone with no previous experience of model building, would it be very difficult to build one of those Master Grade Ingrams? I suppose since they snap-together and already painted, it wouldnt be too difficult for a beginner.
Don't be fooled by "snap together" because of the lack of glue. I personally think that glue kits are easier because with the snap together type kits, EVERYTHING must be perfectly aligned because it builds up on itself. Remember that this is a Master Grade kit, therefore you're going to have the right hand of Alphonse having a slide like mechanism that can reach for the revolver, plus the mechanics to get the right leg's "robocop" style gun holster is pretty tricky for beginners. I'll be frank with you, this isn't an easy kit to do, even I had to proceed quite cautiously. Furthemore, IT WILL LOOK FUGLY if you don't paint it, trust me on this, seriously. Just because it's molded in the appropriate colors doesn't mean that the colors themselves look good. It will look like a cheap toy more than anything without a proper paint job.

But, if you're still keen, I'll be doing a build up of the Ingram # 2 in my journal sometime.

EDIT: I did the survey........oooooo...sparkely poster LOL. I did the survey and said some parts were good while others were lacking, and actually added my comments. I particularly noted that the sound wasn't clear, as well as the translation of Commander particularly irked me.

FELIPE NO

- What we all do best -

Last edited by Spatula; Sep 6, 2006 at 01:41 PM.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 06:26 PM Local time: Oct 16, 2006, 04:26 PM #160 of 166
Woo hoo!

Sup Patlabor Fans.

:forgets to respond to email, DOH!:

LOL Sparkling Poster. If it's signed by Yuuki himself, then DAMN! But of course not!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

- What we all do best -
Pyocola
Dried Goby

Member 2248

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 08:23 AM Local time: Oct 22, 2006, 02:23 PM #161 of 166
Aw, I want a sparkling luxurious poster too...

I could be wrong, but to me there didn't seem to be whole lot of interest in the contest so it was probably easy for anyone eligible to win a prize. Too bad I wasn't.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 08:33 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 06:33 PM #162 of 166
Makes me sad that still it's mainly me, Pyo, and Q chatting in this thread ;__;
As you can see, switched my av/sig set to Noa Izumi.

At any rate, there was some talk in 2003 for a live action Patlabor. I really don't know what to say.

Why is that the ugliest Ingram in the world.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

- What we all do best -

Last edited by Spatula; Dec 1, 2006 at 10:22 PM.
Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:47 AM Local time: Feb 26, 2007, 07:47 AM #163 of 166
Because this is the 21st century! Everything must be edgy and futuristic!

On a side note, I found torrents for the TV series and the 3 movies, so I'll be getting into Patlabor too here pretty soon.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:59 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2007, 08:59 PM #164 of 166
After watching the OVAs and TV series again just recently - last month, I say to start with the TV series instead of the OVAs - the OVAs just don't give enough back drop, in my mind, and may turn you off prematurely. Save the movies for last, of course. Where did you find this torrent?

Also, get ready to appreciate the most delicious anime police woman.

See avatar

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

- What we all do best -
BlueNocturne
Syklis Green

Member 2459

Level 7.53

Mar 2006

Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:52 AM Local time: Feb 26, 2007, 10:52 PM #165 of 166
All others pale in comparison to Kanuka.

How ya doing, buddy?
Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Feb 27, 2007, 08:57 AM Local time: Feb 27, 2007, 05:57 AM #166 of 166
Where did you find this torrent?
It wasn't hard to find.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > KIDOU KEISATSU PATLABOR