Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] How do you keep track with your music scenes?

lightgem
Chocobo

Member 1010

Level 12.35

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2007, 01:20 PM #1 of 15
How do you keep track with your music scenes?

More specific, where do you go to read news, find out what have been going on, what are the new releases, or to find out new things ... etc... about your favorite kind of music?
Places I always go to:
Metal Underground for Metal.
Progarchives for Progressive Rock
chudahs-corner and vgmworld for Video Game Music.
Feel free to share yours.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2007, 01:38 PM #2 of 15
I usually just dick around in the iTunes Music Store, read Rolling Stone's music news (the only part of RS that isn't shit), and listen to NPR's All Songs Considered to hear new stuff.

I'm lucky though, since I can get most new CDs for free through my Uni's deal with Ruckus. It's kind of lame being limited to listening on my PC, but it helps me find new and awesome music.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Franky Mikey
Bonkler

Member 6

Level 39.27

Feb 2006

Old Feb 25, 2007, 01:56 PM Local time: Feb 25, 2007, 07:56 PM #3 of 15
Moved to Media Centre.

As for me, I don't really have online sources aside from GFF. I just read a monthly classical music issue (Diapsason, in French) and get most of the information I need this way.

I do check out Hyperion Records' website on a regular basis, since it's a label I generally enjoy and I'm always eager to read about their new releases.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

[ recordings |videos| blog ]
[ 18:14:09 ] [ +Garr ] Setting up form unreal troanmetn
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2007, 02:18 PM #4 of 15
For VGM news, Gamingforce and Soundtrack Central are my prime sources, though I'll sometimes poke around GMRonline and RPGfan too.

For film music news, I have a whole parcel of sites. Soundtrack.net offers the best up-to-the-minute news, but their reviews are kind of lacking. I also regularly frequent Filmtracks, Movie Wave, Movie Music UK, and Soundtrack Express for reviews and such. Occasionally, labels like Varese Sarabande and Intrada offer something as well.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Domino
-

Member 1180

Level 28.87

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2007, 04:59 PM Local time: Feb 25, 2007, 10:59 PM #5 of 15
I have a look in the papers every now and again for music and film news. If I want to find out something online then I generally look around here to see if there is anything that I can find out, if not then I use Google to find what I'm looking for.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2007, 05:05 PM #6 of 15
I occasionally check out Billboard's R&B and Hip Hop charts to see what albums are generating buzz. I also go to RapReviews.com once a week to check up on the new releases.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

kinkymagic
I made more lousy pictures than any actor in history.

Member 1409

Level 16.87

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2007, 08:13 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2007, 01:13 AM #7 of 15
Normally I go to Leppard Promotions, but then I do have a special place in my heart for it because I'm in some of the photos.

How ya doing, buddy?

“When I slap you you'll take it and like it.”
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2007, 08:23 PM Local time: Feb 25, 2007, 06:23 PM #8 of 15
Last.fm has an exceptionally good music discovery engine and is pretty much the source of how I hear about new bands, keep up with favorites and land new albums and recommendations from my friends and neighbors.

Pandora is also pretty rad for getting great new recommendations based on what you already listen to, although it's much more interactive than the tag system on Last.fm.

And for those of you who don't know, we have a tightly knit conclave of music junkies here on GFF as well, so feel free to browse that thread or join in on the recommendations. Some of the best music I've found, I've found through my boys (and girls) down in M.E.C.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
the quiet fox
World Fabricator

Member 2058

Level 9.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:51 AM #9 of 15
For expensive Japanese music that I probably shouldn't be buying but do anyway, I hit up j-poop, or the JPOPSUKI tracker to try before I buy. The blogs listed over at Feed of Pop are often educational and always hilarious.

For domestic releases, I have a subscription to eMusic. It's got its ups and downs, but it's a pretty good service overall.

I do have an account at last.fm, but I don't use the site too much - I just like seeing my charts develop. Still, I like the journal system and how you can see who's writing things about a given artist, which can occasionally give me some ideas.

Most amazing jew boots
1 2 3 4, get down, get down...
Mana Dragon
I'm Back, Where's My Steak?

Member 96

Level 11.62

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:19 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2007, 12:19 PM #10 of 15
For all my metal news and stuff, I go to Metal Archives or the Metal Crypt. Both are good sources to follow.

For my prog rock and indie, I go to multiple places, nothing in particular.

For VGM, most news I get is from this very forum, and a few select other sources.

Other times I just will randomly buy an album for the heck of it, but not too often.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Yarbles
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5247

Level 2.62

Apr 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 03:53 PM #11 of 15
The one site I tend to frequent is Allmusic.com. Allmusic has probably one of the most exhaustive archives of music reviews(all by their staff) that covers every type of music you can possibly imagine (Classical to Jazz, Rock to Country, Electronica to Hip Hop).

One of my favorite things to do at Allmusic is pick a Genre, read about it, then pick a similar Genre from the list and repeat. The place can dominate your time.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 05:21 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2007, 04:21 PM #12 of 15
The vast majority of music information I get comes from either talking to the guys in local record shops or dicking around on USENET. Honestly, I've found some of the rarest, out-of-nowhere kinds of records on USENET. It's a great music resource.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 05:34 PM #13 of 15
I used Prog Archives awhile ago to find out about a bunch of good music I was previously unaware of. For the more notable bands that I listen to (Symphony X, Opeth, Dream Theater, Rush) it's hard not to hear months in advance when new stuff is about to be released, especially considering my friends are more addicted to the internet that I. Believe it or not, I find bands with official myspace pages are very vocal with new news pertaining to albums via bulletins.

For just new music in general I rely on my friends, random research and more recently the Music Exposure Club here.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Ziggy Stardust
Life on Mars?

Member 18789

Level 1.60

Jan 2007

Old Feb 27, 2007, 08:07 AM #14 of 15
I mostly hear about things that are coming out from my friends, since a lot of us listen to the same music. Plus, a lot of the music I like is old anyway. Either that, or I find out about albums months after they came out.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] How do you keep track with your music scenes?