Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Borderlands - Shootan and Lootan

Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:19 PM Local time: Oct 29, 2009, 11:19 AM #101 of 227
Almost level 50, so far second playthrough has been amazing. The only problem is that with a good Mercenary or Firefly mod Lilith just god modes through the whole damn thing

I was speaking idiomatically.
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:25 PM #102 of 227
Does anyone else feel all their bloodwing does is flap all over the place, give away your location, and only fly into some dude right before you're going to snipe him?
I've noticed my bloodwing attack several targets in one release before. However, the amount of inflicted damage was so minuscule I almost would never have noticed it. Damn thing barely makes a scratch in skag pups. I'm contemplating keybinding something more useful to the F key now. That's prime keyboard real estate, might as well make it worthwhile.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:49 PM Local time: Oct 29, 2009, 10:49 AM #103 of 227
Hopefully they'll buff it up a little bit with a patch. Right now I hardly ever use him and can't figure out why I should bother. Then again, many of the perks for the hunter seem mediocre at best.

I'm kinda tempted to just start over as one of the other classes since the sniper rifle seems to be only moderately decent, and his only skill that's actually useful for the sniper rifle that other classes don't have is Focus, which reduces sway. The skills I'm most looking forward to is Relentless, but a "few seconds" seems to only be about five seconds, which means you need to be a kickass sniper to nail one, find another one, and nail him in the head for it to be worthwhile.

I think he's one of those classes that could do well in multiplayer, but trying to do it solo is a bit frustrating.

FELIPE NO
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:51 PM Local time: Oct 30, 2009, 01:51 AM #104 of 227
My Bloodwing oneshots most enemies 2-3 levels below me. But that's because I put most of my points in Rogue. Having a nice Bloodwing damage increase mod helps too.

I actually ended up using a combat rifle much more often than a sniper rifle.

Most amazing jew boots
Lacerta

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:59 PM Local time: Oct 29, 2009, 11:59 AM #105 of 227
I've seen some Hunters on second playthrough with batshit insane Bloodwings. Buzzing about 100% chance to Daze on 9 targets, up to 9k damage each target, 1 second cooldown on the skill.

That thing is a one man army. Until it glitches and gets stuck.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2009, 01:37 PM #106 of 227
Aim better?

Enemies drop shit tonnes of ammo.
Well it depends on the gun. That rifle I was using when we were playing yesterday is fantastic but dear LORD does it suck through ammo fast.

How ya doing, buddy?
Lyth
God of Ruin

Member 406

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2009, 01:42 PM #107 of 227
Hopefully they'll buff it up a little bit with a patch. Right now I hardly ever use him and can't figure out why I should bother. Then again, many of the perks for the hunter seem mediocre at best.

I'm kinda tempted to just start over as one of the other classes since the sniper rifle seems to be only moderately decent, and his only skill that's actually useful for the sniper rifle that other classes don't have is Focus, which reduces sway. The skills I'm most looking forward to is Relentless, but a "few seconds" seems to only be about five seconds, which means you need to be a kickass sniper to nail one, find another one, and nail him in the head for it to be worthwhile.

I think he's one of those classes that could do well in multiplayer, but trying to do it solo is a bit frustrating.

Focus isn't too bad and can be pretty useful, but when you get Calibur up all the way, it can be pretty useful. Trespass in his sniper tree though is really nice. Picking off an enemy from far away without even dealing with the shield first is useful as you can drop enemies way faster.

I use hunter solo, mainly because I can never find a good online match that doesn't lag me out within the first minute of playing, and I haven't really had too much of a problem. I actually get really good damage with my guy though. Though I think my weapons are fairly decent so that may be why. I have an orange sniper rifle that has about 240 - 250ish attack (+3 Fire on it too ) , a non-scoped sniper rifle with about 230 attack, and then a revolver with with about the same attack. I commonly switch my 4th weapon slot with +Shock/Acid/Explosion weapons that I usually leave sitting in my inventory until I need them.

I've also found that Transfusion grenades are my favorite grenades by far.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

I am not a clever pony...
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2009, 02:04 PM Local time: Oct 29, 2009, 12:04 PM #108 of 227
Yeah, the Volcano-type sniper rifle is awesome. A high damage output plus continuous fire damage can put most enemies out or severly damaged. That's why I'm a fan of Maliwan guns.

Though I dig my Vladof and Hyperion guns better though. While my Vladof machine gun has only 113 damage per shot, the accuracy is about 98% while the fire rate is about 10.0. Not to mention the 50+ magazine it has per reload. It's the gun I main right now (and the reason my proficiency in assault rifles is 22 right now).

And that's only in the first playthrough. 2nd one should have something better.

Favorite 'nade so far is the rain-type.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Lyth
God of Ruin

Member 406

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2009, 03:32 PM #109 of 227
The rain type is nice, but it's stuck in a relatively small area. So despite it's high damage, you really need to be accurate for it to be useful. I used my Explosive Longbow grenades for a while, mainly because I could open an assault from super long distance with it, and then just waste everyone else with my sniper rifle before they got to me. What I like about the transfusion in that I can just throw it, and it will hunt down the enemies that it's damaging, so I don't need to worry about aiming too much. Plus, it can be a real life saver if my health gets low by being caught in the fray. I will admit that I also am very fond of the Proximity grenades as well. Throw them somewhere, then pull an enemy and have them run through them all. They get blown up before they can even get close enough for their guns to be accurate.

I only have one Hyperion gun right now, and it does like 24 damage. I keep it around because it's so accurate and it's an automatic, so even though it's got low damage, I can chain 10 crits in a row and still drop the enemy pretty quickly.

I'm also still only on my first playthrough >_> I'm only level 26 right now, and I just did the first two missions for Crazy Earl. The " Kill bandits and other things " one and the " get c-bomb, use them to blow shit up " one.

I've very fond of my Volcano Sniper Rifle, because if there's a group of enemies near each other, I can shoot the ground in between them all, and it will usually set them all on fire and drop the whole group in a matter of seconds.

I am not a clever pony...
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Oct 29, 2009, 03:40 PM Local time: Oct 29, 2009, 01:40 PM #110 of 227
Quote:
I've seen some Hunters on second playthrough with batshit insane Bloodwings. Buzzing about 100% chance to Daze on 9 targets, up to 9k damage each target, 1 second cooldown on the skill.
That sounds like a pretty solid use of the skill point reset, actually. Start off by buffing up your weapons, then once you can get your bloodwing to attack multiple targets and can speed up its cooldown switch over to him for your main damage dealing. I'm underwhelmed by the skills which increase X stat after killing an enemy as a hunter since, generally, I'm using a slow rate of fire rifle and can only get one or two shots off. The one which restores my HP is pretty nice, though I don't know how useful it'll be in the long run.

Most amazing jew boots
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2009, 03:45 PM Local time: Oct 29, 2009, 02:45 PM #111 of 227
Riotous Remedy is a life saver. You'll really notice it when/if you put more than 2 points into it.

Also, Relentless with 3+ points makes you ruin motherfuckers day. Revolvers and sniper rifles with recent fire rates will destroy shit every way from sunday with the speed boost.

FELIPE NO
Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:10 PM #112 of 227
I still enjoy plugging away at Too Human every once in a while (killing 12000 airborne enemies to fill the quest for an Epic Graviton Pulse Charm is going to take a while), so Borderlands does pique my interest.
As for the various bugs, I am pleased to report that Gearbox is getting on the ball in terms of addressing them: according to this IGN article, a patch for the 360 version will be unleashed at 0200 CST; those for the PC and PS3 will be released 'eventually'.

Most amazing jew boots
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
Jarf'd
Wark!

Member 34676

Level 2.12

Oct 2009

Old Oct 29, 2009, 08:59 PM #113 of 227
I've also found that the Hunter set is kind of limited, but you can power up you r bloodwing pretty nicely. It's saved my butt quite a few times. I feel the trick is putting most into rogue then going for cool down (Adding targets is wonderful). His other skills don't seem all that useful as aiming can be tricky sometimes it seems.

As with weapon Flynt(?) Drops a pretty nice shotgun but it goes right through the clip. Just another example really of potential ammo wasting.

Anyone have a suggestion on a hunters best class mod type with a rogue spec? I find them all over the place and haven't really decided on a solo mod. Though Survivor's team health regen helps quite a bit.

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2009, 09:18 PM Local time: Oct 29, 2009, 09:18 PM #114 of 227
Debating how to build my Soldier as I truck along. I'm kind of hopping all over the place. I was doing the talent to buff overall bullet damage, but now I decided to stop that and work on the turret giving ammo regen. Might max it out. Never know when it might come in handy, particularly for weapons that use less ammo.

Speaking of which, I just killed Bonehead. Would be further, but I've been getting sidetracked with stuff lately (in life, that is). Loving this game still. I got the static assault rifle and fell in love with it. Then I found a rocket launcher. I mowed through Bonehead's men, but noticed my weapons weren't doing jack. Then I pulled out my "big gun". Mistah Launcher made short work of him. Just got a third weapon slot, and I think my big boom-boom gun will stay in that spot <3

Most amazing jew boots
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2009, 03:40 AM Local time: Oct 30, 2009, 01:40 AM #115 of 227
Permanent bullet damage, Scorpio damage rate, Fitness, Aid Station and Cauterize are Soldier fundamentals. The rest is up to you.

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2009, 04:56 AM Local time: Oct 30, 2009, 04:56 AM #116 of 227
Gotcha, chief :V I'll work on those first, then. Guessing that the shield regen perk is a must as well? It'd make Scorpio even handier.

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Oct 30, 2009, 12:16 PM Local time: Oct 30, 2009, 10:16 AM #117 of 227
Just started a new game with a Soldier and found the going a lot easier than as a hunter.

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2009, 05:22 PM Local time: Oct 30, 2009, 03:22 PM #118 of 227
Gotcha, chief :V I'll work on those first, then. Guessing that the shield regen perk is a must as well? It'd make Scorpio even handier.
Shield regen is also a nice addition. However, if you plan to use the Scorpio more often, I suggest buffing up Deploy (Support Branch) and Refire (Infantry Branch). It wholly depends if you like to play with others (hence the suggestion Aid Station and Cauterize as a probable fundamental) or by yourself (which you can use Overload, Defense or any single-person beneficiary).

Tons of strategies for the Soldier. So far, I've been using this (Still a level 43):
Borderlands: Skill Tree

And found this:
Borderlands: Skill Tree

As well as a multitude of combinations. I primarily play Single Player but with open invite. Thank god for Point Reset option in New-U terminals.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2009, 06:04 PM Local time: Oct 30, 2009, 05:04 PM #119 of 227
Getting rid of some garbage on the PC version.

Instead of selling, figure you guys might want some of it, since you seem to be so very slow and low leveled.

-CLASS MODS-
Sniper Class Mod [Level 22]

-WEAPONS-
MAL100 Desert Masher [Level 16]
TDS Double Anarchy [Level 25]
VRR50 B Blue Volcano [Level 25]
Sorry, everything's gone. Given away the sniper to animechanic and everything else was just vendor trash anyway, so.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Oct 31, 2009 at 02:22 PM.
Strange|Gnome
Wark!

Member 3386

Level 1.34

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2009, 06:52 PM #120 of 227
Don't suppose anyone is lurking around looking for people to split the four-pack with?

Most amazing jew boots
What is the world, but that which we make of it?
Lacerta

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:45 PM Local time: Oct 30, 2009, 09:45 PM #121 of 227
I started up a Soldier this morning, got to New Haven. My turret hates me. I'm kind of wondering if I should pick up Stockpile, since I have a class mod later on that does the same thing only better and is always active. I kind of want to go pure support with him anyway though. If the turret didn't have such a giant cooldown it would be a bit easier on me since I wouldn't have to pick up the two skills to have a constant turret available at every battle.

edit: Oh yeah, 360 and PS3 (supposedly PS3, I know 360 got theirs already) got a patch to fix various things, one of which included the Siren's Phase Strike. It still apparently sucks balls when it really counts, but it's not as horrible as before. They fixed it by simply making her do an animation then exiting Phase Walk, as opposed to her exiting Phase Walk while meleeing. Seems it does maybe ~6k to equal level Badass/BadMotha/SuperBads, and ~22k to everything else.

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:39 PM Local time: Oct 31, 2009, 06:39 AM #122 of 227
I just got this on PC, is anyone else suffering from a laggy mouse movement? The game itself runs perfectly respectable ~60fps, but the mouse movement (in menus, not when aiming) is really sluggish. Also, I it feels like the up/down movement is way faster than the sideways movement when aiming... I wish you could set the sensitivity of both axises. I'm glad I got it on PC though cause the game is pretty unforgiving when aiming. That would've frustrated the hell out of me if I had to do with the 360 controller.

Anyway, the game is totally great, but the Hunter is a useless pile of shit in my experience. It was my first choice to play with, because I thought I'd enjoy sniping (I enjoyed it in Far Cry 2). But it seems most enemies are clairvoyant and know where I am before I even get there, so most of my time was spent running backwards frantically trying to shoot guys through the head. Also, did that bird ever do anything for anybody else? I think I would've done more damage if the F was a flashlight.

Anyway, restarted with Soldier now and it's really great. I love the setting and the style of the game, and I can't wait till I get more into the meat of it. I've specifically avoided reading any guides (which is why I chose that shitpile of a Hunter class, I guess), so I can discover my own way of playing without being influenced by other people's tactics.

How ya doing, buddy?
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:13 AM Local time: Oct 30, 2009, 11:13 PM 1 #123 of 227
Disable mouse smoothing. Taco posted a fix on it earlier in the thread. It's like a whole new game without it.

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:36 AM Local time: Oct 31, 2009, 07:36 AM #124 of 227
Disable mouse smoothing. Taco posted a fix on it earlier in the thread. It's like a whole new game without it.
Brilliant, glad I asked, thanks a lot. Kinda sad that you have to hack into the game like it's Quake 2 or something, but at least the options are there. And of course the game is awesome, so I'll suffer through some pain for that.

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:25 AM Local time: Oct 31, 2009, 06:25 PM #125 of 227
Skills I want that blue volcano =o

I've been trying to find a good sniper rifle for a while now. Everything I get has nice damage but no elemental effects =/

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Borderlands - Shootan and Lootan