Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Video Game Shelves

SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:57 PM #1 of 4
Video Game Shelves

So, I'm starting to run into a space issue with my game collection as shown here (sorry for the picture quality, took it with my cell):

fuck huge image:

And there seems to be 30-32 inches above the rack on my back wall that I can work with:

another fuck huge image:

Dimensions: 40" W x 77 1/2" H

Not to mention all of those NES, SNES, and N64 games I'd like to put in some universal game cases with sleeve inserts and print some covers off from the cover project to make it look nice (and it helps protect it from dust). Hey, it turned out pretty well for all of my Sega CD, Dreamcast, and PS1 games in DVD cases.

So either I can:

1. Purchase a new shelving unit that will fit my needs.
or
2. Take a crack at building one myself.

Now I've been looking at option #2 going to websites like Lowes and Home Depot, get about two 1"x6"x8' boards (cut them down to 6 feet each since my room is only a little taller than that), and then more of the same lumber to cut into as many separate shelves as needed.

Has anyone here ever built their own video game shelves to house their games and can possibly share some of their experiences on what to do and what not to do?

Or is there a video game/media shelving unit at a store that you'd recommend getting instead to fit a large number of games?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by FatsDomino; Aug 12, 2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: guys please keep your huge images in spoilers or resize them appropriately or something - yeesh
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:32 PM Local time: Aug 12, 2013, 07:32 PM #2 of 4
I am waiting for Philia and Angel of Light to repost theirs again.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2013, 06:32 PM #3 of 4
Well I've kinda talked myself out of building my own shelves and will wait until next month to see the deals for media shelving units, but I did finish putting all of my games into either DVD cases, Universal Game cases, or DS cases. This took about 3-4 months off and on.

Spoiler:

I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Most amazing jew boots
Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2013, 06:44 PM Local time: Oct 6, 2013, 04:44 PM #4 of 4
Building shelves is one of the easier things you can do as a first step into the world of building your own furniture if all you want is a simple, functional shelving unit.

Measure the intended height of the unit and buy 2 1x10s (or whatever depth is sufficient for your purposes) that are long enough to be cut to the appropriate length. These will be the sides of the shelving unit. Ensure that these are straight, wood has a tendency to warp and you don't want that garbage for shelves. Pick some good ones.

Determine the intended inner width of each shelf (that is, from the inside of one vertical board to the inside of the other vertical board). Buy as many 1x10s that can be cut to this length as you intend to have shelves. Remember that you need one for the bottom.

I find it useful to box out the bottom level like in the following photo. You're just raising the bottom shelf up a little bit and putting a front and back on it. This helps to counteract any shear forces that would potentially cause the entire unit to buckle sideways.

Spoiler:

Using L brackets (or some other manner of fastener if that is your preference), hang your shelves between the two sides. Depending on the width of the entire unit and the weight of what it is carrying, you may want to reinforce it through the middle with another vertical support board. The easiest way to go about this is just put another board up the middle in the beginning and then cut the shelves to fit.

If your shelves are particularly tall, and particularly heavy, you may want to screw the frame itself to a couple of wall studs. It will never fall over, ever.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Tags
:carpentry101:

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Video Game Shelves