Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 258 Voting/WEEK 259 Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:35 AM #1 of 27
Song of the Week - WEEK 258 Voting/WEEK 259 Nominating

Song of the Week. 250 Weeks and counting.
Week 258 Voting is clos'd!.
Week 259 Nominating is clos'd!.

A Word to the Wise Week
We still need three more noms for this (Wise gameography here). Even if you only know his shitty monkeytunes there were like 8 of those games so get cracking!

Results
1). [14/10] GALAXY FORCE II & Thunder Blade ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Type II [BGM2]
2). [14/9.5] Trajectile (Game Rip) - Toward the Colony
3). [10/7.5] Shining Wisdom - Second Effort
4). [10/5] The Sims: Superstar - The Soundtrack - Botox Forever
5). [7] Oboromuramasa Original Soundtrack - Impermanence
6). [6/6] Mushihimesama Double Arrange Album - I Have Something to Ask You <Ending>
7). [6/5] Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony (Game Rip) - War Upon the East Frontier
8). [5] PixelJunk Eden Original Soundtrack - Wheel window / Garden 7

Tracks:
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: GALAXY FORCE II & Thunder Blade ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Type II [BGM2]
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony (Game Rip) - War Upon the East Frontier
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Mushihimesama Double Arrange Album - I Have Something to Ask You <Ending>
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Oboromuramasa Original Soundtrack - Impermanence
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: PixelJunk Eden Original Soundtrack - Wheel window / Garden 7
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Shining Wisdom - Second Effort
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: The Sims: Superstar - The Soundtrack - Botox Forever
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Trajectile (Game Rip) - Toward the Colony

Voting Rules:
Voters must distribute 6 points among the 8 nominees, giving points to at least 3 songs, giving no song more than 3 points, and giving no more than one of their choices 3 points. Possible ways of voting include:
Spoiler:
"Traditional"
Song1 - 3 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 1 pt.

"Even Stevens"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 2 pts.

"Tough Decision"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.

"Nomination Bias"
Song1 - 3 pts.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.

"Indecisive"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.
Song5 - 1 pt.

"Shotgun Spread"
Song1 - 1 pt.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.
Song5 - 1 pt.
Song6 - 1 pt.

Notes:
"War Upon the East Frontier" was originally encoded in Ogg Vorbis. The original can be found in the extras folder.

Please remember to upload your nominations to the SotW server! Uploaded noms mean a faster, smoother SotW experience for everyone. Server information:
Spoiler:
* Host: ftp.sotw.info
* Username: nominations@sotw.info (that is the actual username; not an e-mail address)
* Password: gff
* Port: 21

Nominating:
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by orion_mk3; Mar 7, 2012 at 10:12 AM.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:22 PM Local time: Feb 22, 2012, 06:22 PM #2 of 27

Additional Spam:
oh geez this week is blowing my mind

How ya doing, buddy?
Undertale (PC, 2015)

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Feb 22, 2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:42 PM #3 of 27
David Wise nom

Album: R.C. Pro-Am (Game Rip)
Composer: gee I dunno
Title: Title Screen
Other info: it plays on the title screen
possibly will upload to ftp if I remember to convert the file

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Joe Wiewel
hard worker

Member 259

Level 18.63

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:00 AM Local time: Feb 25, 2012, 12:00 AM 1 #4 of 27
So I came back to Gamingforce to participate in Best Song Contest 2012, but it seems like the sub-forums pertaining to the Best Song Contest have been removed. (They were there about a month ago I believe.) So I guess the Best Song Contests are a thing of the past.

Anyway, I've been looking at the these Song of the Weeks, and decided that I will participate. I believe that I understand how the nomination and voting process works (I read the Nomination and Voting pages on the Wiki twice), but if I break a rule, please let me know.

So here's my point distribution:

2 points: Galaxy Force II & Thunder Blade - Type II
2 points: The Sims: Superstar - Botox Forever

1 point: Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony - War Upon the East Frontier
1 point: Oboromuramasa - Impermanence

And here's my nomination. I know you guys are looking for David Wise tracks, but I'm only familiar with his "monkeytunes" on the SNES. Donkey Kong Country 2 has already been taken, so I will go with a Donkey Kong Country nomination. If the first Donkey Kong Country's music is too commonly known, no problem. You can disqualify my track if you want.

Album: DK Jamz (Donkey Kong Country's soundtrack)
Artist: David Wise
Disc #: 1 (of 1)
Track #: 21
Track Title: Gang-Plank Galleon
Catalogue Number: DIDX-026334
Year: 1995
Additional Info: Eveline Fischer and Robin Beanland also did some tracks for Donkey Kong Country, but David Wise did most of them. I found which tracks David Wise did for Donkey Kong Country from the Wikipedia article below.

(I was split between this track, Aquatic Ambiance and Fear Factory, but decided on this track in the end...)

Source: DK Jamz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll upload the track once I get some FTP software installed and configured. It's been awhile since I've used FTPs, considering widespread torrent usage and the availability of direct download sites and whatnot....

Edit: Track uploaded. Also, why would somebody upload a (only) 700K clip of Sailor Moon in Spanish?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Joe Wiewel; Feb 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM.
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:22 AM Local time: Feb 24, 2012, 10:22 PM #5 of 27
So I came back to Gamingforce to participate in Best Song Contest 2012, but it seems like the sub-forums pertaining to the Best Song Contest have been removed. (They were there about a month ago I believe.) So I guess the Best Song Contests are a thing of the past.
Nah, just archived: http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/45...sion-archives/.

(The BSC has traditionally started in the summer, so BSC '012 hasn't happened yet.)

((Also I believe you may have been thinking of the Best Best Song Contest Song Contest compilation event of previous BSC winners.))

Also, why would somebody upload a (only) 700K clip of Sailor Moon in Spanish?
I haven't the slightest idea, but it still makes me laugh every time I see it there so I've never deleted it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:21 AM #6 of 27
David Wise nom!

Game: Monster Max (Game Boy)
Composer: Grant Kirkhope
Track: Stage BGM 7
Track #: 2 on GBS set (for some reason)
Catalog #: n/a
Year: 1994
Source: GameBoy GBS Music - Zophar's Domain
Additional Info: I saw a playthrough of this game just to confirm the context; even though this is the first stage theme in the GBS set, it's actually the 7th (of 7) stage theme you hear in the game (6th if you play the training stage).

Jeez I went through like 80% of Wise's Chiptune works for this. Quite a lot of good stuff, but nothing hit me as hard as the Monster Max soundtrack. David Wise chiptune rock at it's peak right here. Wizards and Warriors 3 came close.

Ripped and uploading to the FTP.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:54 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2012, 01:54 AM #7 of 27
Still can't find a Wise track that agrees with me and reasonably long enough beyond DKC stuff.

In any case, too many hours playing the brillient Witcher 2 and the end result is:

* Album Title: The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings Official Soundtrack - 2.0 Edition
* Artist: Krzysztof Wierzynkiewicz
* Track Title: A Nearly Peaceful Place
* Source: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Official Soundtrack - 2.0... - VGMdb
* File Location: Nominations folder
* Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
* Track Number: 2
* Catalogue Number: NA
* Year: 2011

It's one of the most beautiful town themes I've heard in a long time. Great outside of the game and works wonders in-game.

FELIPE NO
I think therefore I am... I think.
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:06 PM Local time: Feb 25, 2012, 05:06 PM #8 of 27
Still can't find a Wise track that agrees with me and reasonably long enough beyond DKC stuff.
We're up to 8 Wise noms anyway!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:42 AM #9 of 27
YOOOOOOOOOOO

yooooooooo

this week

orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:46 PM #10 of 27
All right, let's do this like Buddhists.

GALAXY FORCE II & Thunder Blade ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Type II [BGM2] Some interesting synth colors, but it really could have used a nice melody to hang them on.

Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony (Game Rip) - War Upon the East Frontier Roanoke was actually the lost colony, not Jamestown, but this is also a shmup set on Mars so I'm guessing historical accuracy wasn't a pressing concern. I recently got this one thru the indie bundle, and there definitely a slight difference in sound between the rip and the official OST. It's also one of the more mundane songs in the game; I'd have been a lot more excited by, say, Secret Mines of New Madrid here.

Mushihimesama Double Arrange Album - I Have Something to Ask You <Ending> Booyah, Basiscape twofer leik wut! People sure do like to arrange Mushihihihihihimesama, and while I'd wager that this low-key strings-and-oboe piece isn't exactly loyal to the original, it's nice enough.

Oboromuramasa Original Soundtrack - Impermanence I was all stoked for Muramasa, coming as it did on the heels of Odin Sphere. I was massively disappointed by the OST, which has for me the same problems that Okami has, but this piece is head and shoulders above the rest. It's a great combination of the eastern feel and tone of the game with a really smashing melody.

PixelJunk Eden Original Soundtrack - Wheel window / Garden 7 I keep seeing PixelJunk get the "Great Original Soundtrack" icon on Gamespot and yet never manage to check said music out. Listening to it now...maybe I'm not missing all that much.

Shining Wisdom - Second Effort A lot like Galaxy Force in that it's some neat synths undermined by a shaky melody (but hey, at least it has one).

The Sims: Superstar - The Soundtrack - Botox Forever With a title like that, I was expecting hair metal or maybe some kind of pop. Instead, it's trance. I'm sure it's very good trance, but I just don't generally care for that whole genre.

Trajectile (Game Rip) - Toward the Colony A trajectile sounds like something you'd have removed in a painful operation. The music is also adorably quirky with a pretty fantastic melody.

The Point Spread
Oboroboromuramuramasamasa - 3 pts.
Emergency Trajectilectony - 2 pts.
Mushihihihihihihihihihhimesama - 1 pt.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:41 AM Local time: Feb 29, 2012, 12:41 AM #11 of 27
Am I really the first on the Takenouchi train again? Ah well.

CHOO CHOO ALL ABOARD

2 points: Shining Wisdom - Second Effort
2 points: Trajectile (Game Rip) - Toward the Colony
1 point: GALAXY FORCE II & Thunder Blade ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Type II [BGM2]
1 point: Mushihimesama Double Arrange Album - I Have Something to Ask You <Ending>

I do want to reiterate how dynamite this week is.

I was the original Masaru Tajima fan, but there was a period where I was having some doubts about the man. After hearing some confirmed solo work I thought was a bit lackluster, I began to think it was possible that it was just a coincidence that he worked on so many games with awesome music and he just had the luck of having outstanding coworkers. After all, Kenji Yamamoto is a confirmed stud and all.

Trajectile's four tracks completely renewed my faith. So much Galactic Pinball in this. This man is one of Nintendo's best <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

And meanwhile over here we have the time sig wank Takenouchi. This fucking guy, WHERE DID YOU GO WE LOVE YOU PLEASE COME BACK

Thunder Blade preceded Earth Defense Force by a few years, so Type II has the earliest bass solo in VGM I'm aware of. Of course, my knowledge is far from complete. Really all that's important is that Koichi Namiki rules a lot.

Everyone loves Hideaki Kobayashi when he goes crazy; I mean, who doesn't love a good IDOLA tune, really. But it's good not to forget that the dude is just flat out good at music, period. He took the kind of bouncy ending theme and turned it into something alternately touching and grand. Would get no fewer than two points in just about any week but this one.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Undertale (PC, 2015)
isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:36 AM Local time: Feb 29, 2012, 10:36 AM #12 of 27
<<3 Points>> Trajectile (Game Rip) - Toward the Colony
<<1 Point>> Shining Wisdom - Second Effort
<<1 Point>> Oboromuramasa Original Soundtrack - Impermanence
<<1 Point>> Mushihimesama Double Arrange Album - I Have Something to Ask You <Ending>

Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:48 PM #13 of 27
(3 points) The Sims: Superstar - The Soundtrack - Botox Forever
(1 point) Trajectile (Game Rip) - Toward the Colony
(1 point) GALAXY FORCE II & Thunder Blade ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Type II [BGM2]
(1 point) Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony (Game Rip) - War Upon the East Frontier

How ya doing, buddy?
Jolteon

Member 35682

Level 17.53

Apr 2010

Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:55 PM #14 of 27
3 POINT(S) - Shining Wisdom - Second Effort
1 POINT(S) - GALAXY FORCE II & Thunder Blade ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Type II [BGM2]
1 POINT(S) - Trajectile (Game Rip) - Toward the Colony
1 POINT(S) - PixelJunk Eden Original Soundtrack - Wheel window / Garden 7

If a piece of music in a video game exists with more time signature insanity than Second Effort, I will give it a big hug. I can not THINK of many that are as/more insane in that attribute in my interpretation than it at the moment, only a few others. {And yes pleast TAKENOUCHI COME BACK I WILL GIVE YOU A HUG

GALAXY FORCE is fm synth bias and also amazing funk bass solo with like the slight delay in the stereo that is pretty snazzy to make it feel more FIULL

trajectile has some weird cool chords on the weird synth patches that are cool weird chords transposed themselves and that is a cool

pixel junk is the cool minimialll delay panning chords echoreverb everything kind of reminds me of orbital for some reasdon

Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:17 PM #15 of 27
3 pts. - The Sims: Superstar - Botox Forever: At first I just liked that beginning synth part (which is awesome btw), but I've grown to really enjoy the whole song.
2 pts. - GALAXY FORCE II & Thunder Blade ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Type II [BGM 2]: 'dat bass solo
1 pt. - Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony (Game Rip) - War Upon the East Frontier
Oh Motoaki, you so crazy - Shining Wisdom - Second Effort

FELIPE NO
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Last edited by Drakken; Mar 4, 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:30 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2012, 12:30 AM #16 of 27
Oops, almost forgot to vote. ^^;

(2 points) The Sims - Superstar - The Soundtrack - Botox Forever

(2 points) Jamestown - Legend of the Lost Colony (Game Rip) - War Upon the East Frontier

(1 point) GALAXY FORCE II and Thunder Blade ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Type II [BGM2]

(1 point) Trajectile (Game Rip) - Toward the Colony

Special mentions for Oboromuramasa and Mushihimesama

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
I think therefore I am... I think.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:46 PM #17 of 27
Christ it was harder for me trying to figure out which tracks I shouldn't give points to.

1 point: Wheel Window - Garden 7
1 point: I Have Something to Ask You (Ending)
1 point: Impermanence
1 point: Toward the Colony
1 point: Second Effort
1 point: Type II [BGM2]
Just Missed: War Upon the East Frontier

Botox Forever, though very good, is way out of it's league here. Sorry!

Stellar week. Possible contender for best of all time.

Jamestown wasn't a shootemup I got too much into gameplay-wise, but so much love and care went into the graphics, music, and overall presentation I couldn't help but love it. The soundtrack version of War Upon the East Frontier actually has some more content than this gamerip version, though I can understand why this version would be preferred over that (that WTF synth guitar solo, the fact that the extra content doesn't play in-game). I do still prefer the soundtrack version, so that's my not entirely satisfying reason of why I didn't give it a point.

Everything else this week: 10/10. Pats on backs all around.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Darkcomet72; Mar 5, 2012 at 08:55 PM.
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:25 AM 1 #18 of 27
oh my god that bass solo, I think I wet my pants

2 points - GALAXY FORCE II & Thunder Blade ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Type II [BGM2]
2 points - PixelJunk Eden Original Soundtrack - Wheel window / Garden 7
1 point - Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony (Game Rip) - War Upon the East Frontier
1 point - Shining Wisdom - Second Effort

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Mar 6, 2012, 04:23 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2012, 11:23 AM 1 #19 of 27
3 points: GALAXY FORCE II & Thunder Blade ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Type II [BGM2]
3 points: Mushihimesama Double Arrange Album - I Have Something to Ask You <Ending>
3 points: Oboromuramasa Original Soundtrack - Impermanence
3 points: PixelJunk Eden Original Soundtrack - Wheel window / Garden 7
3 points: Shining Wisdom - Second Effort
3 points: Trajectile (Game Rip) - Toward the Colony
Just missed 3 points: Botox Forever

It was tough coming up with a satisfactory point spread this week. Yes, I know that's 18. Just do a 18/2+3*3, then divide equally by 6.

P.S. I am an accountant and I suck at math.

Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2012, 06:19 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2012, 09:19 PM #20 of 27
sooooory CHz for the lateness but I will place my votes within the next 24 hours ^^

also the first week in forever with no nom from me and you guys are saying it's the best week ever,

THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2012, 07:36 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2012, 05:36 PM 1 #21 of 27
also the first week in forever with no nom from me and you guys are saying it's the best week ever,
Oh, well I guess when you put it that way, you're hereby banned from nominating music to SotW.

Most amazing jew boots
Undertale (PC, 2015)
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2012, 04:51 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2012, 02:51 AM 1 #22 of 27
MUZZA I'D BETTER SEE SOME VOTES SOON OR I'M GOING TO BAN YOU FOR REAL

Undertale (PC, 2015)
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:15 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2012, 08:15 PM #23 of 27
2 points: GALAXY FORCE II & Thunder Blade ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Type II [BGM2]
2 points: Trajectile (Game Rip) - Toward the Colony
1 point: Mushihimesama Double Arrange Album - I Have Something to Ask You <Ending>
1 point: Shining Wisdom - Second Effort

Special mention to Hashibore-o; "Impermanence" is really cool but yeah, this is a solid week. Gotta pay chipgroove and The Doctor strings. The two I gave 2 points to are fantastic.

FELIPE NO
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:31 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2012, 03:31 AM #24 of 27
Muzza is safe... for now.

1). [14/10] GALAXY FORCE II & Thunder Blade ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Type II [BGM2]
2). [14/9.5] Trajectile (Game Rip) - Toward the Colony
3). [10/7.5] Shining Wisdom - Second Effort
4). [10/5] The Sims: Superstar - The Soundtrack - Botox Forever
5). [7] Oboromuramasa Original Soundtrack - Impermanence
6). [6/6] Mushihimesama Double Arrange Album - I Have Something to Ask You <Ending>
7). [6/5] Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony (Game Rip) - War Upon the East Frontier
8). [5] PixelJunk Eden Original Soundtrack - Wheel window / Garden 7

Delicious bass victory.

How ya doing, buddy?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:10 AM #25 of 27
So 5th place this week is equivalent to 1st place in most other weeks? I will count that as SotW Gold and add it to my trophy case accordingly.

Tags
better than malmophile, grant kirkhope week next, orion is a maimouphobe, ryuji sasai wk ftw, where is kenji ito week

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 258 Voting/WEEK 259 Nominating