Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Okami Original Soundtrack / similar works

LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jan 18, 2009, 09:41 AM Local time: Jan 18, 2009, 03:41 PM #1 of 17
Okami Original Soundtrack / similar works

Hi there,

I recently purchased the Okami OST and the piano arrange, after having both for some time in my digital collection.
I'm easily convinced to buy piano arrangement albums (*g*), but even the source music (the OST) is great. Currently listening to disc 2

Well, I already looked up the OST on VGMdb and take a look at the composers discography:
- Masami Ueda: Lots of Biohazard here, also DMC (Devil May Cry) works and some album I don't know (Tricky Sliders)
- Hiroshi Yamaguchi: Okami seems to be his only work
- Rei Kondoh: Sengoku Basara compositions and DMC4 (I don't know Sengoku but AFAIK DMC4 is pretty rockish)
- Akari Kaida: She looks interesting - from what I can see I already own her BoF works (the boxset), the Luminous Arc OST and the Rockman 9 arrange
- Junko Karashima: I only see beatmania and GuitarFreaks here

I'm now looking for similar works like Okami. DMC and Biohazard drop from the race. DMC is too much rock for my taste, Biohazard is also nice listen - but a whole lot different than Okami. beatmania and GuitarFreaks... well *g*

Can someone possibly comment on the two remaining albums I mentioned above? The Tricky Sliders one and Sengoku Basara.
Or does someone have an entirely different idea what material could be also interesting if I like Okami?

Greets,
liquid

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Jan 18, 2009, 02:23 PM #2 of 17
Well, I think Okami was a novel challenge for all those involved. They developed the soothing lyrical style for the game. About the closest I can think of in Capcom's catalog is Onimusha, particularly Onimusha 3, but they're pretty different in approach overall. Both are just Japanese-inspired.

Tricky Sliders is pretty much hip-hop as it's a snowboarding game; a bit like 1080 Snowboarding but much better. Sengoku Basara is pretty exotic and kinda crafts fusions with world, acoustic, electronic, and rock instruments. However, it's more of an action soundtrack that a soothing one.

I personally don't recommend the piano arrange. It's not bad, but it takes away anything that was original about the soundtrack and replaces it with derivative arrangements.

Most amazing jew boots
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jan 18, 2009, 03:50 PM Local time: Jan 18, 2009, 09:50 PM #3 of 17
OK, thanks Mr. X - going to take a listen at the Onimusha series then.

I'm not that into hip-hop so I think I'll skip the Tricky Sliders OST. But Sengoku Basara sounds interesting, maybe I try this one out as well.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2009, 03:27 AM #4 of 17
Yeah, all are solid albums, but a matter of your personal stylistic tastes really. I actually haven't heard much Onimusha, but it's the closest I think of at least from Capcom.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Secret Squirrel
River Chocobo

Member 89

Level 24.44

Mar 2006

Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:13 PM #5 of 17
I haven't found an album that's quite like Okami, but I have stumbled across plenty of tracks that could have fit right into the game. It's be a difficult task to try to remember them all (sometimes it's a single track on an album somewhere), but I do remember that there were a bunch on Kagura-souenshu. I'll try to think of some more.

Most amazing jew boots
Slightly Dark -- updated weekly with rare out-of-print game music.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jan 21, 2009, 08:54 AM Local time: Jan 21, 2009, 02:54 PM #6 of 17
Thanks Secret Squirrel, I'll take that one into consideration too.

Most amazing jew boots
KeyLogic
Good Chocobo

Member 23833

Level 16.19

Aug 2007

Old Jan 28, 2009, 03:38 PM #7 of 17
LOL. You posted this on the 18th, so sorry dude. I know it was one of your requests, and mines too, so I requested elsewhere and someone responded to me on the 19th. It was just weird timing I guess.

FELIPE NO
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jan 28, 2009, 05:00 PM Local time: Jan 28, 2009, 11:00 PM #8 of 17
Huh, sorry KeyLogic - I'm not sure I understand you.

I had the Okami album and the piano arrange on my VGMdb wishlist since a long time. I didn't request it anywhere, since I already had a good VBR rip of both albums from #gamemp3s.
The reason I bought it: I had some spare money which I wanted to spend to (partially) clear out my wishlist. Okami was picked because I was somehow in the mood

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
KeyLogic
Good Chocobo

Member 23833

Level 16.19

Aug 2007

Old Jan 28, 2009, 05:28 PM #9 of 17
It was a PM that I sent to you awhile back regarding a lossless rip of the soundtrack, I told you about the first person that I requested it from but he fell through at the last minute. Recently, someone else decided to fill the request and this time he's using my most recent tutorial to do it. He responded one day after you bought it.

LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jan 28, 2009, 07:36 PM Local time: Jan 29, 2009, 01:36 AM #10 of 17
It was a PM that I sent to you awhile back regarding a lossless rip of the soundtrack, I told you about the first person that I requested it from but he fell through at the last minute.
Yeah, I remember that - and so...?

Recently, someone else decided to fill the request and this time he's using my most recent tutorial to do it. He responded one day after you bought it.
???

I posted the initial post on 18. January, but the package already arrived around the 10. January (I remember writing the post roughly 1 week after the discs had arrived). I did the order (on YesAsia) on 1.1.2009 - so long before the time I started the thread.

I really dunno what kind of connections you see here, but I'm well aware of your Okami request - but honestly I never did feel the urge to fill it.
(i) It's a five disc album.
(ii) I currently try to restrict the access to my desktop system as much as possible, so I won't twiddle around with the various dev projects I have running on them (mainly because my advisor keeps bugging me to continue on my diploma).
(iii) I've a general shortage of time since the semester is nearing its end and I have to prepare the people I'm tutoring to pass the exams (which proves quite hard since they're especially unmotivated in this semester - and I really mean UNMOTIVATED....)
(iv) My laptop drive is unreliable when it comes to CDDA extractions - and it also has the bad habit to scratch discs, with the probability of a scratch directly coupled to the value of the album...)

And now let's please continue on-topic, ok?

Mr. X was already very helpful - I found the Onimusha albums in my digital archive, looks like #gamemp3s releases to me. Didn't have the time though to thoroughly hear through them.

Still looking for the Kagura-souenshu album, haven't found it yet. Might issue a request for it, but I'm pretty stocked up with albums at the time (Vagrant Story DigiCube release arrived today) - so this could take a while (until my VGM pipeline runs empty so to speak *g*).

Greets,
liquid

There's nowhere I can't reach.
KeyLogic
Good Chocobo

Member 23833

Level 16.19

Aug 2007

Old Jan 28, 2009, 08:24 PM #11 of 17
LOL. I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way, I wasn't accusing you of anything or saying anything negative about you, I wasn't expecting you to fill my request, I was actually offering it to you at the time, the "someone else" I was referring to was because the first guy baled on me (not his fault either).

Well anyway you're right, I didn't mean to derail this topic, I'm back with you guys now.

The Red Steel OST has some similarities but possibly less melody then Okami. Maybe you might still be interested though.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jan 29, 2009, 07:20 AM Local time: Jan 29, 2009, 01:20 PM #12 of 17
LOL. I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way, I wasn't accusing you of anything or saying anything negative about you, I wasn't expecting you to fill my request, I was actually offering it to you at the time, the "someone else" I was referring to was because the first guy baled on me (not his fault either).
No offense taken, I was merely confused because I didn't see any reason for your reaction in your first posting.

Well anyway you're right, I didn't mean to derail this topic, I'm back with you guys now.

The Red Steel OST has some similarities but possibly less melody then Okami. Maybe you might still be interested though.
Thanks, I should have this one - but probably didn't listen to it well enough. I'll give it a try, thanks KL!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Secret Squirrel
River Chocobo

Member 89

Level 24.44

Mar 2006

Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:38 PM #13 of 17
I can't believe this was so long ago. Anyway, I found another one with similar music:

Tokyo Mono Hara Shi Karasunomorigakuen Kitan Gakusou

I was speaking idiomatically.
Slightly Dark -- updated weekly with rare out-of-print game music.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:38 PM Local time: Sep 1, 2010, 07:38 PM #14 of 17
Yep, that's a great recommendation - perfect blend between old-fashioned japanese and modern style

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2010, 06:57 AM #15 of 17
Soul of the Samurai is a soundtrack with many traditional Japanese elements like Okami, yet mixed with other genres like rock, funk and electronic music. If you would like to give it a listen, you can find it here: Soul of the Samurai (PSX) | Lost VGM

FELIPE NO
Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2010, 06:59 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2010, 12:59 AM #16 of 17
Have you considered the soundtrack of Bayonetta? While mostly bereft of traditional Japanese influences, it does reunite Ueda, Yamaguchi and Kondoh for another 6-CD marathon and if Okami's blend of epic scale and quirky irreverance appealed to you, you might find something to like here as well.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Sep 22, 2010, 03:53 AM Local time: Sep 22, 2010, 09:53 AM #17 of 17
I know the Bayonetta score very well and IMHO it's terrible, I can't really stand it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Okami Original Soundtrack / similar works