Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PC] Audiosurf: Ride Your Music

Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2008, 08:51 PM #1 of 45
Audiosurf: Ride Your Music

Think Klax + Amplitude. Audiosurf is an independent game by Invisible Handlebar that generates its levels entirely from music on your computer. You load the game up, select one of the 14 game modes (Three major game modes, eleven variations of them to make them more challenging), select a song and start playing.

The object of the game is to control your vehicle as it rides along a multi-laned track while colliding with colored blocks to form chains of at least three of the same color. The speed and shape of the stage, the amount of blocks in it, and their positioning is all determined by the music file you specify. Of course, the background music for the level is also the specified track.

You accumulate points by racking up huge chains of the same color (Some colors are worth more than others) or hitting special blocks that, when dropped to the bottom of your playing area, instantly give you points. Completing other tasks, such as avoiding any grey blocks in one type of game mode or getting almost all of a certain color in another, will net you bonuses at the end of the song. The game then uploads your scores and people who play the same song can match their best runs against yours.

Here's a couple of videos to show what the gameplay's like:

The game runs for $10 on Steam. I strongly recommend dropping the money on it as it's an incredibly awesome use of a few minutes if you've got the free time every now and then.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2008, 09:49 PM Local time: Feb 15, 2008, 08:49 PM #2 of 45
Definitely. I'm having a blast with the Killer7 OST.

Current pro high score on Fury of the Storm. OH YEAH.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and the going of Him.

Last edited by StarmanDX; Feb 15, 2008 at 09:58 PM.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 07:09 PM #3 of 45
I spent the better part of last night trying to get the Ninja Mono achievements. It started with me getting Ninja Adept on ELO's Mr. Blue Sky (first try, too!,) then getting Ninja Legend on Shake Ya Body from Lumines. I finally managed to find a few 7 minute songs that weren't by Dragonforce and got Ninja Master while playing Muse's Citizen Erased.

All in all, good times and much frustration to be had, especially since I could have had Ninja Maser earlier while playing Emerson, Lake & Palmer's Fanfare for the Common Man, but ended up catching a gray block with about less than a minute left.

This tells me that they changed the traffic placement a lot since the beta, considering I was never able to get Ninja Mono stealth in the beta.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:45 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 09:45 PM #4 of 45
I only happened to grab this game due to the unavoidable adverts Steam likes to place in my way when I want some good old Team Fortress 2 action. However, I love music games and the idea of a dollar off only sweetened the deal.

I didn't hear of the game at all before hand, but I'm definitely having fun times playing to some of my favorite tunes. I still have a long way to go to figure out the actual game mechanics...I'm just thankful there isn't a system in place to make you fail if you overfill too many columns/hit too many greys >_> Needless to say, I haven't hit too many high score boards just yet.

But definitely worth the $10!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |
Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:00 AM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 09:00 PM #5 of 45
/v/ was raving about it, so I picked it up while it was $9. I suck pretty bad at it so far, but it's definitely worth the money. Best Music visualization ever.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:30 AM #6 of 45
I might have to get this. I have so many songs I could be amused for a long time.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:50 AM #7 of 45
If you want to make the game a bit different (at the risk of hardcorefags yelling at you for making the game "EASY MODE," but who cares about them,) I strongly would recommend playing with an Xbox360 game pad.

It does make the Mono a little bit easier, but I'm so used to playing with the game pad now that I wouldn't play Audiosurf any other way.

FELIPE NO
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 01:29 AM #8 of 45
I didn't realize there was gamepad support. I'll definitely have to try it out with a 360 pad now.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 04:52 AM #9 of 45
Damn you people.

With this thread, you forced me to go and buy this incredible game that wouldn't let me SLEEP. WHY MUST IT BE SO ADDICTIVE?!

On the plus side, I'm glad I passed over Pulse (iPod) and Beats (PSP) because Audiosurf is the first procedurally-generated music game that I am seriously impressed with. Songs that change tempo often are the most fun, I just love when a dive+speed-up comes out of nowhere.

9/10 A+++ MUCH FUN YES. I hope they have some updates in the coming weeks to streamline the interface a little more.

Most amazing jew boots
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:05 PM #10 of 45
Damn you people.

With this thread, you forced me to go and buy this incredible game that wouldn't let me SLEEP. WHY MUST IT BE SO ADDICTIVE?!

On the plus side, I'm glad I passed over Pulse (iPod) and Beats (PSP) because Audiosurf is the first procedurally-generated music game that I am seriously impressed with. Songs that change tempo often are the most fun, I just love when a dive+speed-up comes out of nowhere.

9/10 A+++ MUCH FUN YES. I hope they have some updates in the coming weeks to streamline the interface a little more.
I concur with everything you just said. This game is so RAD I might die from it.

(I forget which song it was, but even some "uphill" songs were pretty intense. If I have any reservations about this game it may be the lack of interest in using a different "character". The pusher just seems to be perfect for me.)

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Dopefish; Feb 17, 2008 at 12:57 PM.
Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 01:20 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 11:20 AM #11 of 45
I'm going to go and fish around some more a bit later, but does anyone know anything about the science of the game? Basically, how do they turn all that music into such amazingly good track renditions? That's what really impressed me when I was playing the game at first.

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |
IdleChill
The IceGator

Member 60

Level 20.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 04:35 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 04:35 PM #12 of 45
Time limited demo.

I will now have to purchase it. I'm hooked.

Jinn
Thief of Tazmily

Member 260

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:41 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 09:41 PM #13 of 45
I downloaded the demo of this last night just to see what it was all about and found that I simply had to buy it today. This game is so great! Wonderfully simple yet horribly addictive. I know I shouldn't be playing it the way I have been (like, all night), but I just can't seem to contain myself.

While most songs work great with the game, it feel like some of my music was really made for this game. Wow. I think anyone that likes music should buy this game, plain and simple.

Oh shit.
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 09:48 AM #14 of 45
Another user here who picked up the demo... and had to purchase the full version shortly after. I'm really loving this game.

The only problem I see with it is the 'score comparison' thing. It seems that a song isn't the 'same' if it's not named/tagged the same. With so many rips of the same songs out there, it's not really 'exact', you know?

chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:02 AM #15 of 45
Yeah, they're planning on adding MusicBrainz support in the future to be able to identify similar songs that are just tagged differently.

FELIPE NO
IdleChill
The IceGator

Member 60

Level 20.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:46 AM Local time: Feb 18, 2008, 11:46 AM #16 of 45
Anyone else having a problem where you're in fullscreen mode and shift+tab to chat and the mouse dissapears? I know SimDaddyGT and myself have been struck by this curse. It's rather annoying to not have a curser.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 05:50 PM #17 of 45
Yeah, it happens to everyone.

If you minimize the game and then bring it back up, your mouse should come back. That's what I've done to fix it.

Most amazing jew boots
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:02 PM Local time: Feb 18, 2008, 06:02 PM #18 of 45
All I'm gonna say about this game is:

Through the Fire and Flames ain't got NOTHIN' on Mega Man 2: Dr. Wily First Stage in terms of difficulty.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:24 PM #19 of 45
On another note, about the Xbox 360 gamepad-ness.

How'd you get it to work? I have mine hooked up, and it doesn't seem to do anything in the game. Is there some kind of option to enable gamepad support?

IdleChill
The IceGator

Member 60

Level 20.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:20 PM Local time: Feb 18, 2008, 10:20 PM #20 of 45
On another note, about the Xbox 360 gamepad-ness.

How'd you get it to work? I have mine hooked up, and it doesn't seem to do anything in the game. Is there some kind of option to enable gamepad support?
It just worked for me as I plugged it in and after Windows installed the proper drivers. I didn't have to change any settings, as I didn't see any in the game anyway. Your controller work for other things on the PC?

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:00 PM #21 of 45
Requesting a friends list for the OP.

The66thDopefish if you bother, Taco.

Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:00 PM #22 of 45
Yeah, works fine everywhere else.

Maybe it's cause I have the XBCD drivers installed, rather than the default Windows ones... Blah.

[edit] If you're making up a friends list for the OP, add me as well: Yggdrasill.

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Feb 19, 2008, 01:22 AM Local time: Feb 18, 2008, 11:22 PM #23 of 45
What can I say? Instead of getting the demo, I ended up paying for the full price. It's damn amazing. Loving it already.

How ya doing, buddy?
Amayirot Akago
WRYYYYYYYYY!!

Member 12969

Level 21.07

Sep 2006

Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:59 AM Local time: Feb 19, 2008, 09:59 AM #24 of 45
Bought this last week only to forget about it completely, until I remembered last night and had a go at it. By golly, best 10 bucks I ever spent. It's trippy, challenging, and hella addictive, even if some songs don't work as well as others.

One of my fav songs to use so far: Music Instructor - Hymn

Most amazing jew boots

Anime lover, gamer, and dreamer
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:33 AM Local time: Feb 19, 2008, 02:33 AM #25 of 45
Can you actually buy this game without having Steam? I don't feel like installing a whole content delivery system just to buy one game; I really don't.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PC] Audiosurf: Ride Your Music