Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] Advance Wars: Happy Fun Apocalypse

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 01:16 AM #1 of 17
Advance Wars: Happy Fun Apocalypse

Players of previous Advance Wars games probably recall all the happy times as they sent wave after wave of infantry men to their horrible deaths all for the sake of strategy. Known for its bright graphics, peppy COs, and Olaf's sexy parties the series has delivered great strategy gameplay for years now.

Well, everyone's dead. Some meteors came and wiped out all the Lucky Charms flavors. Days of Ruin focuses on the remnants of humanity battling it out to survive against raiders, insane admirals, and maybe some mutant zombies but probably not.

There was already a thread on SB, but a few more people have picked up the game recently and there was still some discussion going on. I've enjoyed the campaign mode so far, though it's a little lame that you don't learn about CO powers until halfway through the game. One of these days I'll get around to trying a wi-fi battle.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 02:12 AM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 01:12 AM #2 of 17
I've only got a few missions left in the campaign and I still haven't seen a CO Power. Most of the time the combat's very vanilla - good for balance in wifi, bad for making things interesting.

On the other hand, I like what they've done with the units, except I miss Black Boats. =/

How ya doing, buddy?

Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and the going of Him.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 02:57 AM #3 of 17
Could Tabitha be any more overpowered. I'm just glad her CO zone is small.

Either way, game is fun as hell! Less about hoarding CO powers and more about strategy now. Also the music is all kinds of rock.

How ya doing, buddy?

#654: Braixen
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 07:25 AM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 05:25 AM #4 of 17
I went back to Dual Strike pretty quickly. I missed that zany (Super) CO Power shit too much, and people are more anal about the rules than Smash Bros' tourneyfags.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Para
Style & Sexy

Member 889

Level 18.77

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 03:42 AM #5 of 17
Could Tabitha be any more overpowered. I'm just glad her CO zone is small.

Either way, game is fun as hell! Less about hoarding CO powers and more about strategy now. Also the music is all kinds of rock.
If someone is playing Tabitha (like me), best way to take her out is to always provide your frontlines with a shitload of artilery and make sure that you punish and punish hard on the counterattack if Tabitha attacks. Really... with no CO zone on her first half of her charge bar, she is the only one who can charge her own bar so you need to take advantage of that. After the first half, the game rolls in favour of Tabitha :P Which also brings the question, how often Tabitha get to use her CO power? Not often since she's limited for the 1st half.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Missing that one music track:
Fire Fight - Mission X // Frostbite

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 05:02 AM Local time: Feb 18, 2008, 03:02 AM #6 of 17
Honestly, there are few times in any given battle where it's wiser to use her Power than whoring out her Zone. Most people tend to disperse their troops when she's about to max her CO bar, so it's better to just sit around with the bar maxed.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Feb 18, 2008, 06:56 AM Local time: Feb 18, 2008, 11:56 AM #7 of 17
I'm struggling with campaign mission 25. Keeping that east airport is turning out to be a real fucking nuisance.

Must unlock Tabitha though.

FELIPE NO
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 05:03 AM #8 of 17
So I've made it to chapter 24, despite some issues along that can be chalked up to my terrible skill regarding Fog of War Maps, but I've enjoyed the game a ton and a half. The trial maps are pretty interesting ways to test quick strats or just discover some stuff you might not have considered before. All in all I've done about 14 of em.

Also, despite the "darker atmosphere" the game sure enough includes some very uplifting humor, like the 'Tactics' sessions you can view during the missions, which they decide to use as a corner to make the COs on various sides toss insults at each other (the 'War Room' is neutral territory, to quote Waylon) before showing you what to do. Even if you know what to do on the maps, these are a must see. Especially the Will/Tabitha comedy hour later on. Extra hilarious.

By the way, did you all know Mr. Bear hates you? He really does. Although rumor has it that Mr. Bear is a big liar.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

#654: Braixen

Last edited by Tails; Feb 21, 2008 at 05:07 AM.
Para
Style & Sexy

Member 889

Level 18.77

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2008, 08:51 PM #9 of 17
Ho hum... anyone got a good strategy in a map where there's only ground units + fog of war + multiple choke points for vehicles (caused by river fords)? Usually I would go with artillery but what if the enemy is already entrenched? Seems almost impossible to break through... (map im talking about was web river or something like that).

Most amazing jew boots

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2008, 09:04 PM Local time: Feb 22, 2008, 07:04 PM #10 of 17
For the kind of mission you've described? Use Lin, send the infantry into the mountains, and just start probing with recons and the cheapo units. Whenever you pass a good point for artillery/rockets/anti-tanks and the enemy isn't already there, bunker down with them. Take advantage of any and all forests, of course.

If you're playing a human, the best advantage you have isn't cover, but rather the enemy's ignorance of your progress on the map. If you come to a forest that you're pretty sure the enemy has, don't bother making your presence known. Move around their assumed line of sight and wait for a good opportunity to attack. Unless you have a fantastic defensive line set up that'll pummel the shit out of your opponent. Then just stay put or carefully draw them out with bait.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Para
Style & Sexy

Member 889

Level 18.77

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2008, 01:33 AM #11 of 17
No mountains in the map. Very little forest. Lin was taken. My entrance was all entrenched by rockets. Go take a look at the map. Its a default map from the game.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

RisingPhoenix
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 28098

Level 2.50

Feb 2008

Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:11 AM #12 of 17
Is it generally harder or easier than Advance Wars: Duel Strike? I loved that game but it got VERY HARD VERY FAST. I'm not very good on the strategic front so I struggled with the game a lot. I wish there was an easier setting...I like to be able to win. >>;

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:01 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2008, 10:01 AM #13 of 17
I don't know about others, but I found this game to be a relative breeze, mainly because CP powers aren't as game changing as they used to be. It really comes down more to actual strategy than to waiting for that CP power to come into play so you can destroy the opposition. I wrapped up the single player campaign in a couple days and took care of all the trial maps a few days afterwards. Right now I'm sitting at everything S rank (it's easier to get in this game) and the last mission just one point away from it =/

As always, multi-player is just as hard as the person you play, but since I've been a strategy fan, it is tons of fun to get into an engaging battle with a person over wi-fi.

Looking back, the game isn't really that worth it for the single player, it's all about the multi-player (especially the wi-fi) in the end.

How ya doing, buddy?

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |
Para
Style & Sexy

Member 889

Level 18.77

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2008, 06:19 PM #14 of 17
So who plays Wifi in this?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 01:51 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2008, 11:51 PM #15 of 17
I do, but the single player still takes up most of my time.

I don't think I ever notified that I created the GFwiki FC page for the game a while back. Might explain why no one's been updating it. (Tails is no one.)

I also cleaned up the other DS friend code pages at the time.

FELIPE NO
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 07:05 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2008, 04:05 AM #16 of 17
There's no better way to practice then by getting smacked around by human competition.

395266-

Although good luck finding me on at any decent hour.

This is my first AW game and I'm really liking it so far. Haven't played a strategic title like this in a long time and this one is pretty satisfying. I'm only on mission 13 and haven't touched any of the trial missions yet, so I'm pretty inexperienced.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
Para
Style & Sexy

Member 889

Level 18.77

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 06:37 PM #17 of 17
This is my first AW game too and im enjoying much as well.

Question: Anyone found online games where Penny would be good use?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] Advance Wars: Happy Fun Apocalypse