Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

External hard drive, fat32, PS3, and aids need help

Dagobert
Chocobo

Member 25642

Level 10.44

Oct 2007

Old Jan 6, 2009, 08:07 PM #1 of 3
External hard drive, fat32, PS3, and aids need help

So I bought a 1.5TB external hard drive two days ago to back some files up from my PC. Well once that was done I thought of why not use this external hard drive for my PS3 instead of leaving my PC on to stream any video or music to it. Turns out the PS3 only reads fat32 hard drives and this one was in ntfs. Now I'm also aware that fat32 has a 4gb file size limit which is a problem for me since some of my files are larger than 6gb.

Is there any other file system other than fat32 that the PS3 accepts? I'm guessing not, but w/e. And if it is only fat32, is there some way I can transfer files larger than 4gb?

Also can I install linux for the PS3 on this external hard drive? If so, is there a way I can stream the file that's larger than 4gb to this external hard drive from my PC somehow?

I was thinking of just creating another partition and storing the large files on the ntfs partition. If I do that, could I transfer files from the fat32 partition to the ntfs one at a later time?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:05 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2009, 07:05 PM #2 of 3
The PS3 cannot read anything but a FAT32 drive, unless Linux is installed on the PS3 and even then it can only use EXT3 within the Linux install itself. You can only access FAT32 partitions though the XMB interface.

The only option you could go with is to split the movie files larger than 4GB. I don't really know how well the PS3 could play this back though, like if a seamless playlist is possible.

Most amazing jew boots
Dagobert
Chocobo

Member 25642

Level 10.44

Oct 2007

Old Jan 7, 2009, 01:52 AM #3 of 3
Well I prefer not to split them, but that's fine now I guess I could just stream those ones from my PC after I reformat it. Now what I'm doing is just transferring everything from my PC to my external hard drive so I can format my PC's hard drive. I did create two fat32 partitions on this external hard drive with two ntfs partitions. I made two fat32 partitions one being to back everything up from my PS3 to then restore it after I format my PS3's hdd to install linux and the other one is just to use it for once linux is installed. Not sure why I made two ntfs partitions but w/e. Now for some reason my PS3 is not detecting the external hard drive, do I need to have only one fat32 partition or does the entire hard drive need to be turned into fat32?

Edit: Ok I figured it out, it only works with 1 partition of fat32 in the PS3. Now I'm using PartitionMagic to do all of this, why does it not create a partition larger than 196,600.1 MB? Since with the media not including the ones larger than 4gb it comes up to 220gb which I want to transfer to the fat32 partition.

Edit 2: Well I managed to get it up to 300gb in fat32 by merging two fat32 partitions. Still, is there a way of doing it in the future without having to merge it using PartitionMagic or is there any other tool would better?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Dagobert; Jan 7, 2009 at 04:31 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > External hard drive, fat32, PS3, and aids need help