Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] Nintendo DS/Lite discussion thread

WraithTwo
screw attack

Member 239

Level 16.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:20 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 09:20 PM #26 of 738
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
If someone's running at Lvl 4 you can assume:

A - They're playing outside in glaring sunlight.

or

B - Trying to get a tan.

It does seem to wash out the display, and IMO, 2 seems like the best compromise between brightness and battery life.
Damn, 2 does look pretty sexy, and there are occasions where I'm stuck playing outside and can't see a damn thing, so I can see 4 having applications, just not for general gaming X_X.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 04:31 PM #27 of 738
Hmm, here's some more stuff on this mini-DS. Apparently the viewing angle for this incarnation of Nintendo's latest handheld monster is much greater than that of the Gameboy Micro's screen at max brightness. Here's some shots of it playing FinalFight at max brightness versus the GBM.

DSL:

Here's a video of the above: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsyuKneP-3Q

GBM:

Video here.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 04:36 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 10:36 AM #28 of 738
Max brightness is still way too bright, I probably wouldn't use it as most of my DS time stays inside my room.

I wouldn't be at all surprised that leaving the brightness at maximum will damage your eyes and drain the battery faster. It just isn't necessary.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
ApOcaLyPSe_1985
Wiivolution

Member 1331

Level 13.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 04:41 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 11:41 PM #29 of 738
it's a good flashlight
i'm impressed at how crisp the image remains at those various angles.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Fight Nintendo! For everlasting peace!
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 04:42 PM #30 of 738
I know, that's why I'm going for Level 2. I just noticed something else about those screens. The colors are far more saturated and the display is far nicer on the DSL than on the GBM and they're supposed to have the same screen.

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/544...b46ca0ede2.jpg
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/6...c865878320.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/ou8g7q.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/ou8g78.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/ou8g78.jpg

Ok, for those were are still wondering what the battery life numbers are for each brightness/luminosity level, here they are:
Quote:
DS Lite:
Lowest Luminosity: 15-19 hours
Low Luminosity: 10-15 hours
High Luminosity: 7-11 hours
Highest Luminosity: 5-8 hours
Full Battery Recharge time: 3 hours
Oh, and it's glossy on top and underneath, with a matte finish on the inside.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Mar 3, 2006 at 05:14 PM.
Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 06:01 PM #31 of 738
Doesn't Japan have some PDA-type apps for the DS in addition to games? The DS keeps sounding like it has a lot of potential, and yet I still can't justify buying one since I don't really enjoy playing handheld games as much. Nonetheless, I can't wait to see how far Nintendo can extend the device's features.

Also, I wish Nintendo could create something in American that's similar to the exhibit they put up in Shigureden. It sounds like they're really able to appeal to the older generations in their own culture, but I think a lot of American Seniors are scared of electronics.

FELIPE NO
T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 08:37 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 09:37 PM #32 of 738
Cool

Anything over Level 2 is overkill. I set my HD DLP at low lamp mode because the brightness level is pretty darn strong and after playing Smash Bros. Melee, you'll be seeing stars and blasts all night...even when the set is off.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 09:33 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 03:33 PM #33 of 738
I was just playing my Nintendo DS with my blinds open, and I couldn't really see it.

I think the brightness is going to be for the better, whether it be level 2 or 3. Then again, how many times are you going to be playing your DS during the day, outside, in the car, etc? Depending on who you are, I guess. I know I usually don't take mine outside of my room, but there has been a couple of trips where I've taken it in the car, and a slightly brighter level would be nice.

Playing in a car kind of made me sick though.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 09:50 PM #34 of 738
Especially playing Phoenix Wright. Reading and riding don't mix.

I'd probably just stick at two also... At it would be pointless to keep it at it's brightest level wasting the battery.

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 09:50 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 07:50 PM #35 of 738
This is my first time seeing this DS Lite (since GFF really is my only source of gaming news), and I must say it looks fucking beautifully. I'll probably get one eventually, most likely when it hits U.S. shelves. Then I can give my current DS (electric blue) to my brother or something like I did with the GBA to SP. As for the color, I'm not sure yet. I like getting different colored portable devices, so I'm leaning on one of the blue ones (since they're different shades of blue from my DS one anyway)... maybe "ice blue" aka teal.

waka waka

sanemonkey • twitter • last.fm • gfw • backlog • youtube • xbox
Neogin
Wealth of Random Knowledge

Member 641

Level 16.38

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 09:55 PM #36 of 738
Level 2 should suffice, I'd hate to be blinded.

I also wonder what the new DS will look like, considering each new handheld(from, what I remember) had two more succeeders.

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:26 PM #37 of 738
Why is companies seem to think that that smaller is better? The DS is fine like it is. The GBA was fine like it was. Why do we need a DS-Lite and a GBA Mini?

Last edited by Acro-nym; Mar 3, 2006 at 10:31 PM.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:31 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 04:31 PM #38 of 738
Originally Posted by Acro-nym
Why is is companies seem to think that that smaller is better? The DS is fine like it is. The GBA was fine like it was. Why do we need a DS-Lite and a GBA Mini?
It's just like cellphones. They're microscophic and also the reason why I don't own one, but the "small" fad is catching on very quickly. Why? Because it's portable, fits in your pocket, and does what it's meant to.

Mind you, I didn't mind when the SP was released. Bigger screen which folded to prevent scratches, backlighting, basically everything the original GBA should of had, but didn't. The GBA Mini is just a fashion statement, but in the DS Lite's case I don't think labelling it as one would be appropriate.

Then again, keeping your DS in your back pocket, regardless of whether it's a Lite or regular DS, is incredibly stupid and you're just asking for it to get damaged.

J-Man
Taller than a tree

Member 102

Level 23.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:47 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 08:47 PM #39 of 738
As with everything other than genitals, the smaller and cooler you can get something to be, it is automatically way cooler than something that performs the same function but is bigger. It's all about portablilty.

FELIPE NO
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:16 PM #40 of 738
And yet, we want larger televisions, computer monitors, rooms, houses, and stereos. We're setting a double-standard. Some equipment is better big and some isn't? Maybe, one day, it'll get to the point when there are only the two extremes: really big or really small. How could adapt to that?

scotty
I'm not your friend, buddy...

Member 649

Level 24.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:38 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 08:38 PM #41 of 738
Already got a DS, so I wont be buying this. I can wait until they come out with the Nintendo DS 5, complete with back light brightness level 20, that is roughly the size of a credit card, complete with a third screen that displays mario dancing and making a fool of himself 24-7... then I may go kill who ever made it.

Most amazing jew boots
T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:24 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 01:24 AM #42 of 738
And yet, we want larger televisions, computer monitors, rooms, houses, and stereos. We're setting a double-standard. Some equipment is better big and some isn't? Maybe, one day, it'll get to the point when there are only the two extremes: really big or really small. How could adapt to that?
Interesting point, of course I believe this only applies depending whether you are in or outdoors. Remembers riding the subway as a kid with people lugging there huge boom boxes.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:44 AM #43 of 738
Originally Posted by Elixir
Mind you, I didn't mind when the SP was released. Bigger screen which folded to prevent scratches, backlighting, basically everything the original GBA should of had, but didn't.
That's EXACTLY what I was trying to say earlier in chat to Skills.

The SP was a HUGE improvement over the original GBA in features and usage, however the only benefit to getting a DS Lite would be that it's....smaller?

Honestly now, why bother? The button swapping isn't really a huge problem in my mind since I never hit the power button by accident or anything like that. I'm not going to rush out to get something that I have no real incentive to buy. Maybe if it fired missiles or something I'd get one.

#654: Braixen
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:55 AM #44 of 738
Originally Posted by J-Man
As with everything other than genitals, the smaller and cooler you can get something to be, it is automatically way cooler than something that performs the same function but is bigger. It's all about portablilty.
Like the DS lite is so much smaller, and thus more portable, than the current DS.

You saw the pictures in the first post, there isn't that much of a difference in size between the two.

So far, I fail to see a reason to really just immediately throw money at this. I'm not really seeing the adjustable brightness as a "must-have," and I don't really care about the better screen quality (my DS blows away my SP, and that's all I care about.) The only thing I see as a difference is that I want to call it the "iDS," what with the whole iBook look going.

If you don't already have a DS, I could see getting the DS lite. If you already have a DS, why fucking bother?

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 01:16 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 04:16 PM #45 of 738
Yeah, it should be the other way around. TVs small enough get lost in the lounge room, portable music players the size of a record player. Game Boy Macro with cinema sized screen and family sized pizza tray buttons comin' soon!

Old Mar 4, 2006, 01:28 AM #46 of 738
Originally Posted by Merv Burger
Like the DS lite is so much smaller, and thus more portable, than the current DS.

You saw the pictures in the first post, there isn't that much of a difference in size between the two.

So far, I fail to see a reason to really just immediately throw money at this. I'm not really seeing the adjustable brightness as a "must-have," and I don't really care about the better screen quality (my DS blows away my SP, and that's all I care about.) The only thing I see as a difference is that I want to call it the "iDS," what with the whole iBook look going.

If you don't already have a DS, I could see getting the DS lite. If you already have a DS, why fucking bother?
Well the main thing that attracts me to the DSlite is that I can view it from any angle. With the DS I always have to view it at a certain angle or it looks like crap and my hands start to cramp up after a while. I'll still keep my DS if I get a DSlite. It would be good for multiplayer.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Akai-chan
Firebrand

Member 685

Level 3.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 01:37 AM #47 of 738
Same for me...It's especially awkward if someone is trying to watch you play and the only way they can see is if they stick their face right into yours!

Not to mention the new stylus is pretty nice-looking... =D

Most amazing jew boots
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 01:42 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 07:42 PM #48 of 738
Originally Posted by Akai-chan
Not to mention the new stylus is pretty nice-looking... =D
I think by the pictures of the DS Lite's stylus I can pretty much say that it's longer than the original DS stylus. I can't play any DS game with the original stylus, I was forced to buy some chinese brand which expands. They're excellent, so having the same sized stylus in the Lite as what they had for the original DS would be idiotic.

I'm still considering buying one. I mean, it's slightly smaller, right. It has a longer stylus, right. The screen is a little bigger, and the buttons are spaced a little more apart from eachother. Okay? It's a slightly upgraded DS, but that's really it. The brightness side of things is a nice feature, but apart from that I haven't seen much in the department of new additions.

scotty
I'm not your friend, buddy...

Member 649

Level 24.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 01:45 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 10:45 PM #49 of 738
Its for the people who have no DS already, if they didn't buy it in the first place for some reason nintendo just fixes up what some of those reasons may be hoping to boost sales, and attempt to make a mockery of the PSP. If previous DS owners want to buy it then thats ok with them too. I personally don't really care enough to get one, but if my current one is stolen (I already got my Ipod Nano stolen) then I will consider buying one when I'm feeling too rich.

Most amazing jew boots
Proto
Random Idiot

Member 1377

Level 4.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 01:55 AM #50 of 738
If it's possible to trade a DS for a DSL, I am doing that. My DS has a dead pixel. ;_; And I will be likely playing the DSL for quite a bit where I am going. Sometimes, the sunlight is so bright, I could hardly see the screens. And the DSL is smaller in size, which is good. I'm really liking what I see.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] Nintendo DS/Lite discussion thread