Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS2] Final Fantasy XII

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:53 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 10:53 PM #51 of 4284
I watched the 4 minute "Hope" trailer with the CG cutscenes as well as the 10 minute in-game demonstration. I'm quite excited now for this game. One thing I noticed that it seemed that when the party was fighting the fire bombs, the pace seemed somewhat static and frantic at the same time. The explosions all around Vaan seemed somewhat confusing as it looks like his ass is getting kicked, but the HP meter didn't seem effected too much.

At any rate, if the August 1st release date holds true, then this will be quite conveniently released a few days before my birthday.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

- What we all do best -
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:48 AM #52 of 4284
Where can I find this Hope trailer? I'd like to give it a look.

Most amazing jew boots
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 03:09 AM #53 of 4284
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
Where can I find this Hope trailer? I'd like to give it a look.
Right here:
http://www.ffxii.us/news/030306.php

I was speaking idiomatically.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 04:14 AM #54 of 4284
Thanks.

That was a nice trailer, alright. And I really, truly hope that a good amount of the soundtrack is orchestral, because it's all too rare for midi-inspired music to match up to what was playing in the trailer. I hope they at least make like FFIX and have orchestral music in every single FMV.

It's amazing, however, how very little of the FFXII world we've seen throughout all the previews. I could count all the locations with one hand; a large city, a desert, a beach, and another city. I'm not even sure how many cities we've seen so far, or if they're all from the same city, since the buildings look so similar. I admit this has me a little worried though. One of the many things I expect to see in FF's is a gigantic, diverse world. I'm hoping SE has been witholding more than half of the total locations from the public.

My other gripe is that it looks like the cast list is final. It's the smallest group ever for an FF, and it doesn't live up to the promise of a diverse cast of different races. The only non-human is Fran.

And again, this would've been an excellent game to have in widescreen. Please, Square USA, toss us hi-def users a bone.

Anyway, I truly hope this lives up to the gigantic expectations we all have. Just being another great FF won't be enough for me, this needs to be a giant step forward in the series, as big a step as FFVII was.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:40 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 02:40 AM #55 of 4284
Frankly from the way the battle systems works, I doubt this is the next FFVII.... I'm sure the story is great, along with graphics, and music. Whethere not its engaging enough to get people to keep playing and actually have fun remains to be seen. The demo has me thinking that this game will be less engaging since with gambit your characters can simply do things themselves and you can just sit and watch, hell attacking no longer requires you pressing the buttons.

Then again there are those that regard story and graphics higher than gameplay, so maybe this game will suit them.

Theres barely any hype of promotion going in Japan though, its a rather quiet release compared to KH2. As much as I'm curious about whether or not it has live up to expectations (mind you this was a frigging long wait), this is probably the first FF I will not import, especially since the price has gone up. Defintly more expensive than FFX was for me.

However, if anyone here is gonna import, do tell us what its like, as I may get the NA release if its good enough.

And on another note, considering that SE are now making games to be more cinematic, its shocking that they still have not have their games with widescreen, progressive scan options. Get with the program Square!

FELIPE NO

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :

Last edited by Kairi Li; Mar 5, 2006 at 05:45 AM.
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:42 AM #56 of 4284
I guess these are collectible cards you receive with each bottle of "Potion" in Japan...

There's also a Yahoo auction up for 2 promotional posters:

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h34136098

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:25 PM #57 of 4284
Originally Posted by Kairi Li
Frankly from the way the battle systems works, I doubt this is the next FFVII.... I'm sure the story is great, along with graphics, and music. Whethere not its engaging enough to get people to keep playing and actually have fun remains to be seen. The demo has me thinking that this game will be less engaging since with gambit your characters can simply do things themselves and you can just sit and watch, hell attacking no longer requires you pressing the buttons.
Gambits are AI scripts that you put on your characters so that when they fulfill the condition of said gambit, they automatically perform the function on it. For example Cura if HP < 30% coupled with another one could keep the others alive and let you focus on the enemy.

Wait mode is essentially your regular old FF battle system, except that you can move around and set attacks for your current and next turn. Active mode on the other hand is for folks that don't want to enemies to simply "stop" like the old ones. Maybe you've grown out of the old system?

Quote:
Then again there are those that regard story and graphics higher than gameplay, so maybe this game will suit them.

Theres barely any hype of promotion going in Japan though, its a rather quiet release compared to KH2. As much as I'm curious about whether or not it has live up to expectations (mind you this was a frigging long wait), this is probably the first FF I will not import, especially since the price has gone up. Defintly more expensive than FFX was for me.

However, if anyone here is gonna import, do tell us what its like, as I may get the NA release if its good enough.

And on another note, considering that SE are now making games to be more cinematic, its shocking that they still have not have their games with widescreen, progressive scan options. Get with the program Square!
FF is already pretty big in Japan, and all they'd need would be a few commercials (as they've done) some clever advertising (FFXII Potion anyone?) and Famitsu praising the game. Why waste money when the anticipation is likely fever pitch.

The lack of 16:9 and progressive scan support sucks though, but you're giving the game flogging it doesn't deserve (not as of yet). If we'd done the same to DQVIII, we would have ignored a perfectly good game based on a bad demo.

FFXII's title screen:

Jam it back in, in the dark.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Mar 5, 2006 at 04:37 PM.
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 04:44 PM #58 of 4284
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
FFXII's title screen:
Simple yet stylish looking.

It almost looks like the background within the logo could be an animated movie or something to that effect.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:09 PM #59 of 4284
Yes, that's what I noticed too. The background behind the logo seems like it was probably moving behind it. Looks like duckroll just abandoned the FFXII thread after the title thread was shown.

Oh, BTW, I fixed the original shot since it was too dark. What you see above is the edited one. Now comes the task of avoiding story spoilers until the NA launch.

Motsy
Everyday a new adventure

Member 369

Level 13.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:14 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 02:14 PM #60 of 4284
Looks like duckroll just abandoned the FFXII thread after the title thread was shown.
I think I'll be joining him. Don't want ANYTHING spoiled in FFXII for me.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:43 PM #61 of 4284
No, no, he abandoned the thread BECAUSE he's off to play the game. Someone posting the title screen simply let him know that there were folks out there with the game. I think him and Bebpo live in Japan, so I can see why he'd be so anxious to start playing.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:51 PM #62 of 4284

Where's the option menu? What if I want to watch the opening FMV with 5.1 enabled? Dammit Square.

Quote:
I think I'll be joining him. Don't want ANYTHING spoiled in FFXII for me.
Same. I know very very very little about FFXII's storyline, and I'd like it to stay that way. I know we aggreed on not making a seperate spoiler thread for AC and KH2, but I still think FFXII might need one.

Sometimes I think SE wants to make an FF Beach Volleyball. It's a good pic though, but why is Basch included? Considering what he did, you'd think he'd be the last guy Ashe would want to frolick around with...

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:55 PM #63 of 4284
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if the options are asked of you either right after you select new game or they're present in-game. What exactly did Basch do, exactly? I remember hearing that he killed the king because he had sold out his country in exchange for his safety.

How ya doing, buddy?

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:57 PM #64 of 4284
That's exactly what he did. And it's significant because
Spoiler:
the King is Ashe's father.

Vaan has a bone to pick with Basch as well. This, consequently, makes him the most interesting new character. I'm hoping for shades of Delita here (willing to make any sacrifice for the greater good. Needs of the many and all that.)

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 07:04 PM #65 of 4284
I know,
Spoiler:
but he also fought alongside Ashe's husband against the enemy, the one her father sold his kingdom out to. Surely this gets covered in the game, and it'll definitely be a contentious point between him and the rest of the party.

Didn't he kill Vaan's brother after killing the King? Again, everything's a bit fuzzy, but I remember that for sure.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Mar 5, 2006 at 07:17 PM.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 07:15 PM #66 of 4284
Yeah he did. You should mark those as spoilers. Yes it was publicly released info, but it also isn't that well known (I certainly didn't know the bit about Basch and Ashe's fiance). Just saying we should start marking things now. :juggler:

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 07:19 PM #67 of 4284
Thanks for letting me now SOLDIER, I just assumed everyone knew Basch's backstory. It's definitely missing a lot of details that the game will fill us in on, but that's the gist of it I think. IMO, he's redeemed himself in her eyes especially if he's able to explain why he did what he did (Delita greater good deal) as well as fighting alongside her SO.

Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:56 AM #68 of 4284
Thanks for letting me now SOLDIER, I just assumed everyone knew Basch's backstory. It's definitely missing a lot of details that the game will fill us in on, but that's the gist of it I think. IMO, he's redeemed himself in her eyes especially if he's able to explain why he did what he did (Delita greater good deal) as well as fighting alongside her SO.
Yeah I'm aware of Basch's backstory too and you pretty much deal with those events at the beginning of the game in the prologue, hence why we know about them to begin with.

Still I kept some of the character's biography and motivations in the first post as vague as possible as not to spoil it. If it's plot information and screenshots not released by Famitsu/Jump etc during FFXII's pre-release then I'm steering clear of them and I won't be posting them in this thread. Impressions are fine be it your own or via others but just spoiler mark them for god's sake as there's no real need for 2 threads.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:43 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 07:43 AM #69 of 4284
don't know if this has been posted, but an awesome ffxii potion drink commercial!!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hg9bQPoUf_4

Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:29 PM #70 of 4284
Originally Posted by Andrew Evenstar
don't know if this has been posted, but an awesome ffxii potion drink commercial!!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hg9bQPoUf_4
It only marks the third time it's been posted. Someone at GAF tried the stuff. Apparently it tastes like Red Bull only it's blue rather than yellow.

Last edited by Simo; Mar 6, 2006 at 01:15 PM.
Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:05 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 10:05 AM #71 of 4284
Originally Posted by Simo
It only marks the third time it's been posted. Someone at GAF tried the stuff. Apparently it takes like Red Bull only it's blue rather than yellow.
do you know if there's a downloadable version anywhere?

FELIPE NO
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:19 PM #72 of 4284
Originally Posted by Andrew Evenstar
do you know if there's a downloadable version anywhere?
Yep, GameTrailers just put it up:
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1684

Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:47 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 07:47 AM #73 of 4284
Thanks i can't wait for this game!

Tequila
I got a signature.

Member 244

Level 9.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 05:44 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 12:44 AM #74 of 4284
There's one thing about this game that I simply have to admit:
The demo was fun. <3 Looking forward to the final release.

How ya doing, buddy?
I'm a placeholder. I'm there to unnecessarily waste your bandwith and annoy the shit out of you. Too bad that I'm too small to make any difference.
Lord Jaroh
It's all about being a Newbie

Member 2072

Level 13.42

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 05:50 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 05:50 PM #75 of 4284
I'm hoping this game is good. I've been waiting for a good FF game since Tactics (and before that FFVI), however, I'm not anticipating it in any way. I've been let down too many times by Square to let something hype me up anymore.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS2] Final Fantasy XII