Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Movies/Shows you have seen recently?

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2010, 06:22 PM Local time: Sep 20, 2010, 04:22 PM #1 of 352
Sounds interesting Enceph, but for those of us who don't have HBO, do they have episodes online somewhere?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:55 AM Local time: Sep 20, 2010, 10:55 PM #2 of 352
well I meant more like streaming, but a torrent is fine too.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2011, 06:03 PM Local time: Jul 17, 2011, 04:03 PM #3 of 352
Recent movies I have seen in the theater, possible spoilers in the reviews so spoiler tag.

Spoiler:

X-Men: First Class - This movie was great and I'm almost pained at how simplistic the later trilogy becomes (X-Men: Okay, X2: Great, X-Men 3: ) because this shows a great use of the source material. I really liked the background of Magneto, while Kevin Bacon proves to be enjoyably evil. Why did the black dude have to die (almost) first?

Thor - Natalie Portman edges over to likeable in her role (Her actual acting is bland but she carries enough enthusiasm that it becomes a bit charming), but its Loki, Thor, and Heimdall who really put on a show. It was a fun action romp and I can't wait to see Thor's role in the Avengers. Asgard was a visual feast as well. Nothing groundbreaking, but enjoyable. Loki was surprisingly subtle for a character that is known to later become a villain, while Thor is all Ham and Cheese, like the comic books.

Green Lantern - Meh. Its the movie equivalent of a by-the-numbers coloring book that looks good, but provides little substance. They wasted a perfectly good villain too in Parallax. I can only hope the Sequel rises above this first outing's mediocre existence. Also, the actor playing Hal was the completely wrong choice. They should have went with ANYBODY else. The visuals were really good but that's about it.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Saw this in 3D. Michael Bay once again proves he is the undisputed master of the explosion while I prove to be the master of holding my bladder until the credits. The Megan Fox replacement bitch was the most annoying cunt I've seen since Dolores Umbridge, a character from the movie series below, who was at least INTENDED to be disliked. Also, lotta giant robots fighting, so I at least got my money's worth in that respect. Long movie is looooong

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 - Quick background: I've never read the books, but I recently watched all 7 movies over the course of this past week to get myself refreshed and up to speed on everything. The movie itself was pretty good. It felt a bit short and there were some odd editing / scene transition choices. While I only found out later that they had cut out some material, It was evident that certain characters didn't get as much screen-time as they should have, especially concerning character deaths. The climactic battle felt paradoxically both grand and restrained; it felt like the director couldn't make up his mind about if the final battle should be intimate or grandiose and tried to have it both ways. Regardless of any other complaints or nitpicks, Alan Rickman / Snape was fucking awesome.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:26 AM Local time: Sep 10, 2011, 10:26 PM #4 of 352
I knew right away that Sucker Punch was one of those movies that you had to turn off your brain in order to enjoy the eye candy and spectacle, but holy fuck, what a SHIT ending. Definitely only worth a download, and only if you're not data-capped or anything by your ISP.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I also watched, mostly on a whim, The Holy Mountain, directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky. That ending was ALSO bullshit, but for entirely different reasons (As I understand, it was based off a book that had no proper ending due to author existence failure). Personally, I think this movie was trying too hard, like it was being weird for the sake of itself. Definitely not your average film though, so I could appreciate that it did something different.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2011, 01:35 AM Local time: Oct 3, 2011, 11:35 PM #5 of 352
Go die in a fire, please.
Oh you.

I stand by what I said: it was a cop-out to me. The ending where he breaks the fourth wall felt like a lazy and anticlimactic end to what was otherwise a very involved and supposedly deep movie, but hey-- OPINIONS. *Shrug*

--------

So, I saw The Lion King recently in theaters in 3D (I was on a date), and I have to say it was great seeing the familiar characters again after so long. I half-way thought about downloading Lion King 1/2, but eh... maybe later.

In Television, I finished up with the last episodes of Doctor Who so now I have a long wait until next year when Series 7 is supposed to begin. I wont even pretend that the last episode made complete sense, but with a show like this where the main character is a walking Deus Ex Machina, I've come to accept it as Soap Opera for nerds and I will watch it forever. Fuck what anyone else thinks.

Tangentially related: While awaiting the final two or three episodes of Dr. Who to be released, I became friends with this very nerdy girl, who in addition to being a huge fan of that show, has offered to show me to the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica, which I never bothered to watch back in the day (Hype Aversion I suppose you could say was the main reason), so hopefully that will be enjoyable

Also, Finally, I just downloaded In The Loop and The Thick of It (I have a soft spot for Yes, Minister so after hearing that this show/movie were both spiritual successors, I was eager to check them out-- Bernard Black's avatar/sig combo was also to blame ) so I'll be watching them soon.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Movies/Shows you have seen recently?