Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Movies/Shows you have seen recently?

Mighty Tor
Carob Nut

Member 36109

Level 3.73

Jul 2010

Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:49 PM #1 of 352
Thanks to no sports and no good tv, I've been plowing through movies like there's no tomorrow. Let's see if I can remember what I've watched recently.

Django- Not a huge fan of westerns but always a fan of bad asses, and Django fits that mold nicely. Man in black dragging a coffin along behind him able to drop anyone with his pistol.

Event Horizon- Finally checked that out after everyone saying how freaky and scary it is. I was unmoved, decent horror, but certainly not Nightmare Fuel of any high octane variety. Maybe Pandorum will serve better...

The Messenger- Like the Hurt Locker before it, a solid, well made, if politically safe (not a bad thing, mind) movie. Certainly a suck job worth highlighting and recognizing. Also indeed a solid performance by Woody, who despite being easy to ridicule is routinely strong in his movies.

Repo Men- Almost every element could be tied to some other movie, so not entirely original but an entertaining flick if nothing else. Surprisingly, Jude Law works rather well as an action dude.

Big Fan- Strong performance by Patton but a weak and unsympathetic character makes the movie hard to get behind.

Unthinkable- Sam Jackson does some of his standard shout acting while interrogating a terrorist in ways that make Jack Bauer look downright passive. Carrie Ann Moss serves well as the films moral center torn between the potential to save millions vs the utter destruction of one human's civil rights.

Hachiko- A based on a true story of a dog's loyalty to his master, starring Richard Gere who I normally avoid. Now I do not cry at films as a general rule, I may tighten up from time to time, Iron Giant, Finding Neverland, and maybe a couple others but tears just don't happen. The last 20 minutes or so, let's just say I'm glad I was watching this alone on my couch tears flowing. What can I say, dogs are super-effective against me.

There are more, but I've gone on long enough, I'll pile some of the other stuff into a future update. Considering I'm watching about two movies a night these days that may come sooner than later.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
"Science has achieved some wonderful things of course, but I'd far rather be happy than right any day"
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls down of course."
Mighty Tor
Carob Nut

Member 36109

Level 3.73

Jul 2010

Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:15 AM #2 of 352
Tied to? The movie is a less inventive, far inferior version of REPO.
Yes that's the most obvious since the plot is nigh identical, but it also takes a very strong cue from Brazil and some aesthetics from Blade Runner, among other things as well. Also it scores over Repo at least in so far as not featuring Paris Hilton. Like I said, original no, entertaining action flick, certainly.

How ya doing, buddy?
"Science has achieved some wonderful things of course, but I'd far rather be happy than right any day"
"And are you?"
Mighty Tor
Carob Nut

Member 36109

Level 3.73

Jul 2010

Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:39 AM #3 of 352
If by aesthetics from blade runner you mean also influenced by german expressionism, sure. In that sense I suppose Equilibrium and Dark City are heavily influenced by Blade Runner, too.

Original, no. Entertaining action flick, no. Rubbish, start to finish.

You said yourself almost every element could be tied to other films, but the thing is every element can be tied to far superior films that used every element better and in a more clever manner. This movie is about as entertaining as having your balls gnawed on by a badger whilst someone reads Twilight aloud and shows you slides of their last Dan Brown-themed holiday.

I'm not wanting to turn this into a which of us has the bigger film dick competition, or saying you aren't entitled to your opinion. I'm just baffled by it. I think you're the first person I've heard give this movie a positive word. And seeing as how you clearly like some decent cinema, I'm shocked by the deviation.
Guess it depends on your expectations going in. I wasn't expecting much out of it. I enjoyed the action sequences, Schreiber was suitably smarmy, the "twist" while not at all unexpected was set up competently enough, and I got a few laughs out of it.

Look I'm not going to put the film on any best of lists but it gave me what I wanted out of it. Certainly watched much worse and/or far more derivative films (Avatar anyone?), if I had to put a number to Repo Men it would be about a 6 out of 10.

In any case I don't think Repo Men is hardly worth this much time or level of debate. I'm sure I'll come up with far more reviled films that I like far more than Repo Men to baffle people with. I mean come on, I absolutely love The Spirit.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
"And are you?"

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Movies/Shows you have seen recently?