Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Fan Noise. Annoyingly loud, ain't it?

Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:15 AM #126 of 836
Well I finally got my 60gig unit on Monday which I've been playing around with these past 2 days and all in all I'm glad I dropped the cash.

Problem though: I can't get it to connect online. I'm no good at all this technical whatchamacallits and going by the "Easy" and "Automatic" setup yielded no success with just a "IP looking time out". I'm a Comcast high speed internet user and without a router and my modem in the other room I basically unplugged the ethernet cable between my PC and modem and then used a 25ft ethernet cable to connect the PS3 to the modem in the PC's place.

So errr...any help would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Strife
I'm your new travel agent

Member 24747

Level 9.89

Sep 2007

Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:25 AM #127 of 836
you might have to reset the modem every time you switch between the pc and the ps3....

I would suggest you get router, or take your current cable modem back to comcast, and switch it for a cable modem/wireless router that they offer.

FELIPE NO
Karasu
... Boss. *broken rib*

Member 5720

Level 20.39

Apr 2006

Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:27 AM #128 of 836
I dont know if this helps but...when my friend came over with his ps3, we tried it online at first and it didn't work. It was all hooked up, but the problem was, my cable modem connects with a usb connection...so the usb connection was still connected to the computer, and that caused I guess..a confusion with where the internet should be directed to? As soon as I took out the usb connection from the PC, the internet worked on the ps3 .

Hope thats what you're dealing with.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:29 AM #129 of 836
Strife is right. The modem assigns an IP each time it is turned on. So if you change the item without resetting it's not going to assign an IP to the PS3.

So you have to unplug it for 2-5minutes and then plug the modem back in with the ethernet cable already inserted in the desired device. Only way around this is to get a router which allows you to have both hooked up at the same time with no switching.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:31 AM Local time: Oct 31, 2007, 12:31 AM #130 of 836
Every time I turn the PS3 on in my apartment, the wireless router has to reset itself. It's kinda weird cuz it affects the modem too. But I just give it a second and it works fine.

Does it on both wired and wireless connections.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2007, 03:39 PM #131 of 836
Strife is right. The modem assigns an IP each time it is turned on. So if you change the item without resetting it's not going to assign an IP to the PS3.

So you have to unplug it for 2-5minutes and then plug the modem back in with the ethernet cable already inserted in the desired device. Only way around this is to get a router which allows you to have both hooked up at the same time with no switching.
Well this worked and the connection test for the IP and connection was a success but it didn't last long and from then out the system wouldn't even recognise an ethernet cable was plugged in and any attempt to retry the process left me at stage 1 again in trying to get an IP address...

I'll give it another try later and if it still doesn't work then I guess I'll look into getting a router and see if that helps.

How ya doing, buddy?
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2007, 12:52 PM Local time: Nov 2, 2007, 12:52 PM #132 of 836
Hey, so rumors are going around about a new PS3 firmware 2.0 update that's supposedly going to be released soon.

It all started with the latest PSP 2.72 firmware update:
Quote:
Network

* Support for PLAYSTATION Network titles have been expanded.
* Support has been added for [Remote Start]* of the PS3 system under [Remote Play].

*To use this feature, the PS3 system software must be version 2.00 or later. For detailed information about [Remote Start], visit the PS3 Help & Support section at eu.playstation.com and select Connecting to other devices in the General Guides area.
If this is anything what it sounds like, this will make the remote play feature about 147 times cooler than it already is. Kind of a pain to go away for a long time and leave your PS3 on at home in "remote play" mode, so if this will allow the PSP to remotely switch the PS3 on and off, that would be pretty convenient indeed.

I'm a little skeptical about this because I know that if the PS3 is in sleep mode, then there is no network connection. But could a firmware update change this behavior?

ANYWAYS.

It looks like the 2.0 update may be coming very soon. In the comments of this ThreeSpeech blog post, it shows this -
Quote:
9. Hmm.. I wonder when the 2.0 firmware update will show up. Hopefully this month! Strangely enough, it’s what I want the most.

Comment by amras_telemnar — Nov 1, 2007 @ 2:42 pm
Quote:
11. @9 - News on that is coming tomorrow but it will be within the next two weeks!!

Comment by Three Speech — Nov 1, 2007 @ 2:47 pm
Yeah, it's all speculation at this point, but a lot of people are talking customizable XMB themes (like the PSP), as well as in game access to the XMB, which would totally rock. Hopefully we'll get some more information or at least some confirmation about this big update soon...

EDIT:
AND WHERE THE HELL IS MY HOT SHOTS GOLF 5? I have been anticipating that game for the longest time...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by eprox1; Nov 2, 2007 at 02:12 PM.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2007, 01:33 PM Local time: Nov 2, 2007, 10:33 AM #133 of 836
In-game XMB access would be about the greatest thing they could add at this point.

The 2.0 firmware is also supposed to mark another major cut in required system resources for the Playstation OS. Memory reservations in main memory will be cut in half and video memory by 3/4th of current. The OS will also not require one of the SPEs be reserved though the requirement that a game application be able to give up a SPE on request of the OS will still be required. This was mentioned a few months back so I don't know if they are still on track to introduce this in the 2.0 version, but these changes should eventually come along in a future update.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Cetra; Nov 2, 2007 at 01:46 PM.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2007, 09:52 PM #134 of 836
That would be nice. Then developers can get back to memory hoaring instead of optimizing their games.

Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2007, 01:09 AM #135 of 836
Well I managed to finally get my PS3 online last night thanks to a router a friend at work let me borrow, of course he only tells me today that it's actually broken and only connects 1 device after I asked why my PC wasn't getting online...

Anyways as long as it works until I get my own router then I'm good especially with the Uncharted demo this Thursday. So all last night I basically pissed around setting up my PSN account and downloading various demos for the likes of Heavenly Sword, John Woo's Stranglehold and Ratchet & Clank. I just wish my local video store had more PS3 games instead of the 6 titles they have so then that way I wouldn't have to head out to the next town over to rent from Blockbuster.

Has anyone seen the new PS3 commercials? Seems like there was 1 shown during every commercial break on FOX and during the Heroes reruns on G4.

FELIPE NO
Strife

Member 24747

Level 9.89

Sep 2007

Old Nov 5, 2007, 01:12 AM #136 of 836
yeah, the new commercials look pretty cool, and yes, they did run at least 1 per commercial break during both the episodes of family guy tonight.

Most amazing jew boots
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2007, 02:35 PM Local time: Nov 7, 2007, 02:35 PM #137 of 836
PS3 2.00 Firmware Tomorrow
Quote:
Building on the success and potential of the Remote Play functionality, Version 2.00 will cement the partnership between PS3 and PSP and create a truly global experience. With the ability to turn your PS3 on and off from Wi-fi connection, there is now the opportunity to listen to the music, look at the photos and watch the videos saved on the PS3 Hard Disk Drive, anywhere in the world.

To further enhance the PS3 offering, Version 2.00 allows for the creation of personalised playlists in both the music and photo sections. This simple to use function gives users an opportunity to create unlimited music playlists for all occasions, as well as sharing favourite photos in glorious high definition.

Continuing with the idea of a personalised PS3, Version 2.00 allows for customisation of the XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) menu screen. Change the colour and brightness with the greatest of ease or have something completely different by setting a custom theme. With the potential for new backgrounds to become available on PLAYSTATION®Network in the future, Version 2.00 truly opens up a whole raft of options.

A host of other enhancements includes the addition of an Information Board on XMB to keep people up to date on the latest PlayStation® news, the inclusion of a new PLAYSTATION Network category and logo for easier navigation and Trend Micro Web Security, a free2, state of the art internet security system, designed to give parents peace of mind.
PSP/PS3 remote play functionality has been pretty much fully optimized, but there is still no in game XMB . Customize themes I guess is pretty cool...but I can think of QUITE a few things I would have much rather seen.

What the hell is this picture? Is this the 'information board'? Is it basically like an RSS feed for Sony news or something?

Oh yeah. Uncharted demo tomorrow. Everybody check it out and then buy that game.

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2007, 03:27 PM #138 of 836
The PSP has RSS support, so I would imagine the PS3 would too.

As for 2.0, definately not what it could have been. And because I have a hacked PSP the remote play update is no use to me. What a drag...

Uncharted demo, give me a HOO-RA!!

Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2007, 03:54 PM #139 of 836
Information board, LoL. Oh, you mean this.

NO GAMES.
11/10/07

NO GAMES.
11/14/07

NEW BLU-RAY MOVIE.
11/21/07

NO GAMES.
11/21/07

The XMB customization should be aight. At least I'll be able to see the damn icons on my wallpaper now.

I am still waiting for my Blu-ray screen-capture function, as well as 1:85 stretch.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2007, 03:56 PM Local time: Nov 7, 2007, 03:56 PM #140 of 836
Why is the remote play of no use? If you have the latest M-33 custom firmware with the 1.5 kernel, then it's the location free player that was removed - not the remote play feature.

And yeah, I can't fucking wait for that Uncharted demo. I have been anticipating that game for quite some time now.

EDIT:
Yeah, I can't see that Info Board being too...interesting, I guess. I'll just have to wait and see what it really does.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by eprox1; Nov 7, 2007 at 03:58 PM.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2007, 04:20 PM #141 of 836
The auto-on feature requires your PSP to have 3.75. I don't know what version M-33 is currently at however, but my PSP most definately is not 3.75 M-33 which is what matters.

I was speaking idiomatically.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2007, 06:57 PM Local time: Nov 7, 2007, 05:57 PM #142 of 836
I am still waiting for my Blu-ray screen-capture function
You know, I have wanted this function since THE FIRST DAY that I had my PS3.

I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2007, 08:18 PM #143 of 836
I don't know why the movies simply don't have a tag on them like the games. Really, what's up with that?

FELIPE NO
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2007, 08:21 PM Local time: Nov 7, 2007, 07:21 PM #144 of 836
Not exactly what I was referring to, but also, the new Spiderman blu-rays actually do have an image associated with them, rather than just the little blu-ray disc icon.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Strife

Member 24747

Level 9.89

Sep 2007

Old Nov 8, 2007, 12:02 AM #145 of 836
I've only had my ps3 for 2 weeks now, but I have a question... is there any way to see what your friends are playing online? I can see that they are online, but how do i know what they are playing so I can with them?

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Nov 8, 2007, 12:16 AM Local time: Nov 7, 2007, 09:16 PM #146 of 836
I've only had my ps3 for 2 weeks now, but I have a question... is there any way to see what your friends are playing online? I can see that they are online, but how do i know what they are playing so I can with them?
It's not featured yet. I expect a lot of the online functionality is being held back to be put into Home. I just hope they offer a lot of the Home functionality within the XMB once it finally comes out.

And FYI, 2.0 hit a bit early and is available right now.

Last edited by Cetra; Nov 8, 2007 at 12:26 AM.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Nov 8, 2007, 12:30 AM #147 of 836
Oh? From the people I've added , it says "Tekken Dark Resurrection". I thought it was that. As for 2.0 , nothing special.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 8, 2007, 01:44 AM #148 of 836
It does say when someone is playing a PS3 game or downloading content, but that's it. It doesn't say anything when they're playing games off their HDD, PS2 games, or watching a movie.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Nov 8, 2007, 02:09 AM #149 of 836
I think it just plain signs you out when playing a PS2 game.

How ya doing, buddy?
Romhacking.net PSN: Kyuuen XBL: Kyuuen
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 8, 2007, 08:52 AM Local time: Nov 8, 2007, 08:52 AM #150 of 836
This could be cool. PS3 Theme Creator.

Granted, I have no artistic ability whatsoever, but hopefully other people will create some pretty unique and beautiful themes for all of us to use. Maybe they will start popping up on deviant art, or something.

Originally Posted by Slayer X
The auto-on feature requires your PSP to have 3.75. I don't know what version M-33 is currently at however, but my PSP most definately is not 3.75 M-33 which is what matters.
Ah, I didn't realize that the auto on feature required 3.75 firmware on the PSP . In that case, I'm out of luck as well until they release M-33 3.75+...

AAAHHHHH UNCHARTED DEMO TODAY

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Fan Noise. Annoyingly loud, ain't it?