Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Imagining of past works: Composers you wish would go over their works

Ice.Climber
Wark!

Member 32872

Level 1.10

Feb 2009

Old Feb 4, 2009, 06:35 PM Local time: Feb 4, 2009, 11:35 PM #1 of 3
Imagining of past works: Composers you wish would go over their works

Hi, Have lurked a little while and have decided to add a post in while this is on my mind.

Imagine if you will that one of your favourite composers where given the tools to arrange a track or tracks from previous works to a higher quality. Which would you pick?

I got the idea from reading various negative opinions on Ishimoto's synth work on the Kingdom Hearts II ost and I do agree the quality does pale to a degree compared to the first kingdom hearts.

If Yoko Shimomura could arrange one track I'd like it to 'Darkness of the Unknown', I'd like to hear what could have been if Ryo Yamazaki had worked on the project. Perhaps better choir and string samples I would hope.

Please add in your choices, I'd love to hear them

On a side note, my hopes may be fullfilled with a Ryo and Yoko combination, he seems to have no involvement with Hamauzu this time with FFXIII, perhaps he is working with Yoko on the Versus XIII OST. Only time will tell.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2009, 06:50 PM 1 #2 of 3
I'll bite.

I'd really love to hear John Ottman's "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" with full synths--or an orchestra--instead of tinny MIDI. The music is there, but it is so unbearably tinny in its current form that I can barely listen to it.

Yasunori Shiono needs to get back to composing at all, but I'd love to hear upgraded versions of his Lufia work. Lufia 1 especially--Lufia 2 has pretty good SNES synth (but even that could stand a nice arrangement).

Ryuji Sasai also needs to begin composing again, but I'd love to hear some arrangements of his work. FFMQ has decent sound quality, but Rudra is tinny in places and SaGa is, well, Gameboy. Get a live orchestra and live guitars/drum sets and let them go to town.

And of course it goes without saying that Uematsu's pre-2000 works all need a hearty upgrade, though not a whole lot in the way of arrangements except what's necessary to orchestrate/re-synth the music.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2009, 04:06 PM #3 of 3
I'm going to give you the obvious answer, but just because everyone says it doesn't mean it's true: Final Fantasy VII. What's clear is that Uematsu created a masterful soundtrack right at the junction of a mega-technology shift in gaming aural technology. Not old enough for chiptune/synth appeal, and woefully outdated just two years later because the tools had caught up dramatically. And while his soundtrack has burned brightly for so many, it's clear this is the one most in need of better quality.

By the way, I don't think this is an automatic for all old game soundtracks. They've upgraded countless Mega Man albums, but I'll take the NES originals over the PSX upgrades any day of the week.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Imagining of past works: Composers you wish would go over their works