Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 123 Voting/WEEK 124 Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:29 PM #1 of 38
Song of the Week - WEEK 123 Voting/WEEK 124 Nominating

Song of the Week. 100 Weeks and counting.
Week 123 Voting is closed.
Week 124 Nominating is restricted.

Week 123 Voting
The rules for voting can be found here.

Results:
1). [20] iXion - a reticent voice of song -conditional duty-
2). [18] Maruan Series 1 Umihara Kawase Shun ~Second Edition (Game Rip) - BGM 3
3). [16/10.5] Perfect Selection Konami Shooting Battle - Nostalgic (Trigon)
4). [16/9] Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run (Game Rip) - Main Theme
5). [7] F-1 World Grand Prix (Game Rip) - Course Intro
6). [6] Game Music Concert 2 ~ The Best Selection - Wizardry V 'Opening'
7). [4] Kingdom Grandprix (Game Rip) - Norvice Reining
8). [3] Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone (Game Rip) - Githyanki Ahead!

Tracks:
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: F-1 World Grand Prix (Game Rip) - Course Intro
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone (Game Rip) - Githyanki Ahead!
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Game Music Concert 2 ~ The Best Selection - Wizardry V 'Opening'
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: iXion - a reticent voice of song -conditional duty-
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run (Game Rip) - Main Theme
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Kingdom Grandprix (Game Rip) - Norvice Reining
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Maruan Series 1 Umihara Kawase Shun ~Second Edition (Game Rip) - BGM 3
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Perfect Selection Konami Shooting Battle - Nostalgic (Trigon)

Notes:
If you are a member at more than one of the forums in which this event is being held, please nominate and vote in only ONE of the forums. You may, however, comment in the threads at any of the other forums.

Week 124 Nominating
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Here is the link to the corresponding thread in the other forum:
- Soundtrack Central

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by orion_mk3; Mar 17, 2008 at 11:19 AM.
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2008, 07:57 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2008, 02:57 AM #2 of 38
Not sure how popular NES stuff would be around here, but whatever, this is a great track from a game I never knew existed (it was never released in Europe, so that's why, otherwise I most certainly would've owned it back then).

New nomination:

Title: Scotland Theme (NSF rip)
Game: Duck Tales 2
Platform: NES
Company: Capcom
Year: 1993
Download link!

I don't know who composed it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:27 PM #3 of 38
We've had NES stuff nominated and placed before; generally I think we're rather open to chiptunes as a whole as a community. Just look at the Best Chiptune Contest!

I'm pretty sure that our Crack Nomination Research Team (CNRT) will have a composer for you, too

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:16 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2008, 08:16 PM #4 of 38
needs more Game Boy Advance
  • Artist(s): Atsuhiro Motoyama
  • Album/Game Title: Kuru Kuru Kururin (Game Rip)
  • Track Title: Ocean
  • Track Number: 7
  • Year: 2001
  • Additional Information: Going with the track I think people will like more, since I like this one and another one exactly equally (which of course means I'm picking wrong). Cave has a better melody and the benefit of being a stage 5 theme, but the accompaniment in the second half is really abrasive, whereas Ocean's second half is gorgeous and gives me goosebumps.
  • Source(s): Game Credits for Kuru Kuru Kururin

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:11 PM 1 #5 of 38
Heh, I actually had Cave on my nom list.

Next nom:

Artist: Youhei Shiokawa
Album: Doki Doki Majo Shinpan! ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK
Track Title: Forget not Tomorrow
Track #: 12
Catalog #: STF-0016~7
Source: VGMDB
Comments: Yes, this is from that loli touching game for DS. No, I haven't played it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Last edited by Drakken; Mar 11, 2008 at 11:14 PM.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:26 PM #6 of 38
Why are the nominations "pending?"

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:49 PM #7 of 38
Why are the nominations "pending?"
It was supposed to be the voting that was pending; my bad. The track links were taken from the nomination directory rather than the voting directory, as things got a little behind this week, hence the pending and temporary link rigamarole.

That's all been resolved though. Nominations and voting are fully and officially open.

FELIPE NO
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 03:43 AM #8 of 38
BF-1 World Grand Prix (Game Rip) - Course Intro: The first part is nice and thick, almost sultry. I then noticed the short length - 1:53 - and became concerned; that wouldn't be enough time to develop at the chosen pace, and I was correct. The end failed to meet the strong potential established by the beginning. Also, major "BOO" to the cut-off.

Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone (Game Rip) - Githyanki Ahead!: Four minutes of angry strings and drums? I've tried to be less demanding of these nominations but I can't get into this track; it never moves beyond the anger. Thanks, but no thanks.

Game Music Concert 2 ~ The Best Selection - Wizardry V 'Opening': Eh, sometimes this sort of arrangement seems like a good idea on paper but it doesn't work out in the execution. The original track is a bit of a classic and some of the flair is lost in translation. I'm also not big on the "symphony hall echo" that can be felt throughout.

iXion - a reticent voice of song -conditional duty-: What. . . the fuck. . . was. . . that?

Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run (Game Rip) - Main Theme: After I checked my bottled water for signs of illicit tampering, I listened to this track again. Clearly people were on drugs when they nominated tracks for this week, but that's okay! We still love you! This one is surprisingly neat once you accept that this "Eveline Novakovic" person is a schizophrenic Nihilist.

Kingdom Grandprix (Game Rip) - Norvice Reining: Hey, it's our old pal, Hitoshi Sakimoto! This is listenable, though not especially captivating in any particular way. Sample arranging isn't Sakimoto's strength and it shows.

Maruan Series 1 Umihara Kawase Shun ~Second Edition (Game Rip) - BGM 3: Okay, I was hooked the moment the harmonica came in. While this does feel a bit "standard", it is by comparison to the other nominations this week, pretty refreshing. It's cheerful, has some interesting depth and a lot of variance. This one feels ideal for lazy summer days and, hence, is right up my alley. Nice selection!

Perfect Selection Konami Shooting Battle - Nostalgic (Trigon): Rounding it out is the ubiquitous Kukeiha Club nomination! Of course, you can depend on them to deliver quality rockin', this time in the powerballad style. It's enjoyable and should earn a placing this week. I think it errs a bit on the "safe" side for Kukeiha Club - they've done more daring work - but I still found myself bobbing my head in time.

Let's throw some points around!

3 Points: Maruan Series 1 Umihara Kawase Shun ~Second Edition (Game Rip) - BGM 3
2 Points: Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run (Game Rip) - Main Theme
1 Point: Perfect Selection Konami Shooting Battle - Nostalgic (Trigon)

???? - iXion - a reticent voice of song -conditional duty-

After the first four tracks, I was pretty apprehensive, worrying that perhaps I wouldn't hand out points at all this week. Thank God the bottom half came to the rescue and delivered a few keepers.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Opfer
nice

Member 28563

Level 18.16

Mar 2008

Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:36 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2008, 06:36 PM #9 of 38
BF-1 World Grand Prix (Game Rip) - Course Intro: The first part is nice and thick, almost sultry. I then noticed the short length - 1:53 - and became concerned; that wouldn't be enough time to develop at the chosen pace, and I was correct. The end failed to meet the strong potential established by the beginning. Also, major "BOO" to the cut-off.
Well, for the cut-off, this song isn't supposed to be looped, but the in-game sound-test menu would just repeat the song at the end, with no pause whatsoever. So I had a hard time getting the ending right, because for some reason, it also overlays the last note with the beginning of the next run, so I just cut off right there, would've been crappy either way, sorry.

Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 12:59 PM #10 of 38
Not a strong week. Some were meh (Forgotten Realms), some were unexpected (That's a baseball game theme?) and some were just unexplainable (iXion, I'm at a loss for words).

As for the winners:

(3 points) Perfect Selection Konami Shooting Battle - Nostalgic (Trigon): Picking a Kukheia Club song is like cheering for the Red Sox these days: Undeniably good, but plucky underdogs they are no more after the umpteenth quality selection in this contest.

(2 points) BF-1 World Grand Prix (Game Rip) - Course Intro: Glaringly underdeveloped, but it's an Intro song, and what is there sounds pretty right on.

(1 point) Game Music Concert 2 ~ The Best Selection - Wizardry V 'Opening': Love the piano build-up. The second half with the full orchestra isn't as pleasing.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 01:51 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2008, 10:51 AM #11 of 38
Does someone have all 8 nominees from last week (122)? In the middle of my cross-country move I forgot to download them.

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 06:31 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2008, 01:31 AM #12 of 38
This round was very easy to vote for, since there were really only three tracks I liked, and I absolutely loved them to death.

I have to admit, cutesy gamepop and intricate ballads are my fucking WEAKNESS. Anything with melodies that sound like... Well, like Nostalgic, will instantly melt my cold, bitter heart. I can't help but love this stuff, it's just too bloody sweet.

I mean, I can talk "music theory" about how difficult it is to compose something with a moving, catchy melody, and a progression that's both familiar and surprising (this one is a little more familiar and a little less surprising, but listen to something slow from Dream Theater or Stevie Wonder and you'll know what I mean) and whatnot, but in the end, this is just one of those things. It sort of defies rational explanation.

So yeah, the cutesy gamepop is also represented with the amazing Maruan Series track. Definitely a keeper there, I totally love it.

And finally there's the F-1 Grand Prix track, which is just really good I think. It's thick and sultry like Crash Landon said, and I don't really mind that it's short and cuts off at the end.

The other tracks... I guess it makes voting easier? But seriously, I'd love to hear some of the stories behind these nominations (particularly iXion and Demon Stone).

3 points - Maruan Series 1 Umihara Kawase Shun ~Second Edition (Game Rip) - BGM 3
2 points - Perfect Selection Konami Shooting Battle - Nostalgic (Trigon)
1 point - F-1 World Grand Prix (Game Rip) - Course Intro

Kaleb--I unfortunately deleted them just before seeing your post.

Last edited by surasshu; Mar 12, 2008 at 06:34 PM.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 09:38 PM #13 of 38
Gah, I lost all my comments to a timed-out login Suffice to say:

BGM 3 - 3 pts.
Course Intro - 2 pts.
Nostalgic - 1 pt.

Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 09:59 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2008, 08:59 PM #14 of 38
I have to admit, cutesy gamepop and intricate ballads are my fucking WEAKNESS. Anything with melodies that sound like... Well, like Nostalgic, will instantly melt my cold, bitter heart. I can't help but love this stuff, it's just too bloody sweet.
You should have been here for my Umihara Kawase nom...maybe then it would've actually placed. ;_;

Regardless, definitely check out the SNES soundtrack. Plenty of cutesiness to go around.

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2008, 08:37 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2008, 03:37 PM #15 of 38
You should have been here for my Umihara Kawase nom...maybe then it would've actually placed. ;_;

Regardless, definitely check out the SNES soundtrack. Plenty of cutesiness to go around.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'm listening to it now, it's totally great.

FELIPE NO
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Mar 13, 2008, 09:00 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2008, 04:00 PM #16 of 38
Very unusual week. First few tracks didn't really hook me, but the latter half was awesome. Still, I don't understand why the iXion hate. So, no one can stop this!

3 points: iXion - a reticent voice of song -conditional duty-
2 points: Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run (Game Rip) - Main Theme
1 point: Maruan Series 1 Umihara Kawase Shun ~Second Edition (Game Rip) - BGM 3
Just missed: Nostalgic

Does someone have all 8 nominees from last week (122)? In the middle of my cross-country move I forgot to download them.
Sure.

Stalky
I think not.

Member 24973

Level 10.75

Sep 2007

Old Mar 14, 2008, 07:29 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2008, 01:29 PM #17 of 38
I'd like to nominate:

Composer: Steve Burke
Album: Kameo Original Soundtrack
Track Title: Hero's Theme
Disc Number: only 1
Track Number: 5
Year: 2005
Source: Sumthing Distribution

Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Mar 14, 2008, 12:23 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2008, 09:23 AM #18 of 38
Thank you, Draconis! Even if I don't participate each week, I still listen. Also, I need to uphold my reputation of having the complete collection of Song of the Week nominees and winners.

How ya doing, buddy?
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2008, 12:24 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2008, 01:24 PM #19 of 38
My next nomination:

* Album Title: Within a Deep Forest (Game Rip)
* Artist: d fast (Harry Damm)
* Track Title: Scales of Zordium
* Source: Nicklas Nygren - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
* File Location: Nominations folder
* Disc Number: NA
* Track Number: NA
* Catalogue Number: NA
* Year: 2006
* Note: The original track doesn't loop so have attempted to loop it once.

I think therefore I am... I think.

Last edited by Elorin; Mar 15, 2008 at 01:54 AM.
Djinova
Why didn't he just...

Member 2441

Level 23.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2008, 09:25 AM #20 of 38
But seriously, I'd love to hear some of the stories behind these nominations (particularly iXion and Demon Stone.)
No story, the iXion track bears little resemblance to the original (maybe the melody).

(2) iXion - a reticent voice of song -conditional duty-
(1) Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run (Game Rip) - Main Theme
(2) Maruan Series 1 Umihara Kawase Shun ~Second Edition (Game Rip) - BGM 3
(1) Perfect Selection Konami Shooting Battle - Nostalgic (Trigon)

katchum
VGM forever!

Member 180

Level 35.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2008, 12:06 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2008, 07:06 PM #21 of 38
Wizardry 5 sounds extremely familiar with some classical music I once heard...

It goes like this:

la do mi la si do re do si la sol#. Mi la do mi do la faa. Re sol si re si sol mii. Do fa la do la fa ree. Si mi sol# si sol# mi doo.

I wish someone knew the title of that song. (I think something like Carl Orff or something)

Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Mar 15, 2008, 03:51 PM #22 of 38
Decent week.
(2 points) F-1 World Grand Prix (Game Rip) - Course Intro
(2 points) Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run (Game Rip) - Main Theme
(2 points) Perfect Selection Konami Shooting Battle - Nostalgic (Trigon)

Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2008, 09:17 AM Local time: Mar 16, 2008, 10:17 PM #23 of 38
Quite an interesting week. Here's how I voted:

(3 points) iXion - a reticent voice of song -conditional duty-
I actually like this track a lot. Thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful quirkiness and oft times goofball nature of the track.

(2 points) Forgotten Realms Demon Stone (Game Rip) - Githyanki Ahead!
Haha, this is one nomination I've been meaning to make after I played Demon Stone. Owing to the often intense action of the party-based action game, it's quite understandable why the track is as it is. But even outside of the game, I really like its rousing energy and sweeping quality. And the Drow character's theme in the middle.

(1 point) Maruan Series 1 Umihara Kawase Shun ~Second Edition~ (Game Rip) - BGM 3
Very pleasing. Not the most original but its charms are ahrd to deny.

F-1 could have gotten a point. The intro was promising but I did wish the track could have done more. Wizardy also nearly got a point.

FELIPE NO
I think therefore I am... I think.
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:39 AM #24 of 38
(2 points) Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run (Game Rip) - Main Theme

Nostalgia + techno/dance + hooking voice samples - lack of a definite melody = Pretty neat little piece of old school VGM that could have been better, but also worse.

Power ballad! Excellent and succulent guitar work, clean sound, and great melody. The only point that prevents it from being on the top of my list is that it feels a tad slow, not as dynamic as I prefer rock to be, plus it's missing the highly emotive lyrics.

(1 point) Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone (Game Rip) - Githyanki Ahead!

For tense and dreadful orchestral music, "Githyanki Ahead!" is certainly ahead of many others of its category. The string arpeggios at 1:00 were moving. I liked it, yet this genre of music is not my favorite, so this is why I haven't attributed more points to it.

(1 point) Maruan Series 1 Umihara Kawase Shun ~Second Edition (Game Rip) - BGM 3

Happy & sweet! Not among the most virile VGM out there, but "BGM 3" is quite nice and harmonious.

--------------------

F-1 World Grand Prix (Game Rip) - Course Intro

OK tune with a decent rock structure, yet it's slightly underdeveloped and lacking a thrilling element.

Game Music Concert 2 ~ The Best Selection - Wizardry V 'Opening'

Beautiful and well performed orchestral music. I try hard to be open to all kinds of music existing on Earth (and beyond!), yet I haven't reached the point yet where I would love all genres equally. Classic orchestral is unfortunately one of those still in the "work in progress" category. Sorry, but I still reckon how great this track is.

iXion - a reticent voice of song -conditional duty-

An experimental tune that is actually interesting, especially during the final. I probably wouldn't be able to listen to this kind of structure for an hour long, but taken in a small dose, it's special and worth a listen.

Kingdom Grandprix (Game Rip) - Norvice Reining

Not bad, yet not exciting enough to receive any of my limited points.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2008, 06:54 PM Local time: Mar 17, 2008, 01:54 AM #25 of 38
An unusual week.

(3 points) Game Music Concert 2 ~ The Best Selection - Wizardry V 'Opening'
I'm a bit disappointed, I expected something more than 1 point and some positive mention for my nomination. I think it's great in many aspects, but the first minute and half of the piece is utterly beautiful, so many emotions captured in that inspired build-up. After of that the piece adopts a more pompous tone and develops exquisitely, with exuberant passages, till its conclusion. I know it's not perfect, its two major flaws are due to the average execution of the composition by the orchestra and, above all, the poor recording quality.

I think this is the first sotw nomination from the legendary konami battle albums, which is a bit strange. This track, particularly, has never impressed me, yeah, it's pretty solid but for the most part not very exciting. However that last guitar solo is SUPREME, I didn't remember it that good.

(1 point) Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run (Game Rip) - Main Theme
Good enough in spite of the eccentricity that accuses this track. Also, its unnecessary long is a factor that plays agaisnt. But these catchy effects are addictive, and not precisely insubstantials.

Rest of nominations are plainly unmemorable.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 123 Voting/WEEK 124 Nominating