Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[:plant:] Official MUGEN Thread
Closed Thread

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 06:13 PM #1 of 1438
Official MUGEN Thread

The subject of MUGEN started in the Doujin thread, but I felt that it deserved it's own thread, as the sheer size and scope of MUGEN is gigantic.

For newbies, you can find out what the deal is with MUGEN here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUGEN

For everyone else who wants the short version, MUGEN is a program that enables you to add as many characters and stages from existing games (or custom fighters created from existing templates), then pit them all together in what is undeniably the mother of all crossover fights. Previous official crossovers like Capcom vs SNK or Capcom Fighting Evolution look pathetic by comparison. Here's some videos to better illustrate the insanity.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q6xjtsqen5Q&search=mugen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOB8A...gen%20movie%20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxW4x...h=mugen%20boom

Naruto vs Duck Dodgers, Earthworm Jim vs Goku, a team battle of Evil Dan and Sailor Jupiter vs Wolverine and Mario? There's absolutely no limit to the kind of matchups you can create. Of course, this creates quite a bit of imbalance, especially in the case of custom characters given god-like superpowers (especially the custom DBZ characters. Believe it or not, people found a way to make them more exaggerated), but this was never meant as a serious fighter, just an entertaining orgy of crack-driven fighting bliss.

Unfortunately, MUGEN is also very time consuming to use. You pretty much have to bulid up everything from scratch. Even if you scour the net and download all the characters and stages you can find, you still have to manually set them in via the .def file in MUGEN, along with mp3s, title cards, joypad keys, and anything else necessary.

So because of this, I find this MUGEN thread to be absolutely necessary for newbies like myself to create a program as complete and polished as what was shown in the YouTube videos. There have been MUGEN-related forums in the past that usually closed due to constant complaining over the creators of the characters and stages, but fortunately GFF isn't as anal when it comes to legal issues like that.

So in short, this thread will deliver on the following:

1. Character Requests: Request and provide any rare characters you might have.

2. Stage Requests: Same deal.

3. Song Suggestions: Got a rocking mp3 that would be appropriate for a certain stage? By all means share it with us.

4. Help Desk: Help people out with installing or configuring MUGEN. It's a pretty tricky program, so there's bound to be problems here and there.

5. Screens/Videos: Got some amusing matchups to share? Go ahead.

So let's get started. Here's MUGEN for Windows.

http://rapidshare.de/files/26551866/...patch.zip.html

Here's the most popular screenpack, Everything vs Everything (thanks to BIGWORM).

http://rapidshare.de/files/26550010/EVE.rar.html

And here are some tutorial files.

http://www.mugenfury.com/?lang=en

And a place with some rather rare characters.

http://mugenguild.cjb.net/

IMPORTANT: And here is the quickest and easiest way to get started on MUGEN. EVE is already installed, along with several hundred characters, stages, and music. I definetely recommend you start your MUGEN experience with this.

http://www.torrentspy.com/torrent/53...ers_200_stages

Only two things you should know.

1. Gambit doesn't work, so remove him (but don't just cut him out or you'll mess up the selection screen. replace him with someone else).

2. You'll need a program called 7-zip to open the file. It works like Winrar and it's free.

http://www.7-zip.org/

Phew. Now then, here's my list.

Character Request: Homer (with english sounds. the character was originally made by a spanish author, and came with spanish sound effects. An english version exists).

Song Request: Skill (found in the first YouTube video).

Song Recommendation: "Battle for Survival" (Digital Devil Saga 2)

http://rapidshare.de/files/26569067/...vival.mp3.html

Current Problems: I need help in sorting out the select screen. As you can see here...

The ? boxes take up a bit of the character portraits. I want to cut out some of them to make room.

The other problem is that the EVE screenpack has a very annoying choir sound that plays whenever a Round sign appears (Round 1, Round 2, etc). I'd like to know how to remove this sound or replace it with something better.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Soldier; Jul 24, 2006 at 01:51 PM.
BIGWORM
"You're falling behind, mercenary."

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 04:00 PM #2 of 1438
Same post from the Doujin thread:

This explanation may seem sort of bland, but I'm going to try anyway. When you're adding characters to the select.def, instead of pressing enter and adding a new line for the character, you have to delete the "RandomSelect" and replace that with a character name, so that you're overwriting it instead of making a new line, hence making a new "RandomSelect."

Each row is represented by "/-" and "RandomSelect" if I remember correctly. The "/-" in the row represents blank space in each row. If you take a look at your screencap, mathmatically, the character select screen is 12 "/-", and 26 "RandomSelect" for 14 rows, then it alternates--26 "RandomSelect" and 12"/-" to make up the blank character potrait at the bottom.

I hope that helps.

*edit* K, putting in chars today, the blanks are represented by "-/", not what's said above.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
[ SCHWARZE-5 - Helger Collins ]
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 04:44 PM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 11:44 PM #3 of 1438
Here's what I've managed to far with EVE:

The torrent you linked proved a terrific collection of characters and stages. Unfortunately for me it's nowhere near comprehensive enough, but it's a step in the right direction.

I actually did exactly what BIGWORM is suggesting here, took me a while to realize you could add empty spots.

Anyway, there's so much to do. I've played around with alternative system styles, such as the M.A.C.B.Z. style that comes with the torrent, but while the character select screens and fonts are really nice, I have too many characters to fit the screen as is, and I prefer the EVE style over that.

Similarly, the energy bars in the MACBZ look awful, not to mention the round announcer voice was obviously recorded by one of the makers =/

I'm keeping EVE style after all, but I'm going to need to do plenty of alterations. I'm actually pretty satisfied with the CVS2 style energy bars etc, but the Soul Calibur announcer and round choir have got to go. I have no idea if they can be easily removed and replaced, but I'm certainly going to try.
I'm also thinking of fiddling around with the EVE character selection screen, so that selections are a little bigger, I think that's relatively easy to try and do. I am never going to have so many characters as to fill the whole screen, so I might as well use the space for something more useful and pleasing on the eye.

Oh, and whoever that Mai_K character is, she's ridiculously overpowered. And I don't mean Devil Chun Li or Soul Gen overpowered, I mean god damn untouchable. I got her by random select for a Watch match and she'd just obliterate everything, not to mention the 130 hit combo she did on Robo Rock without him getting a single hit in =/

The collection has some real gems, though. Someone made a great 2D sprite of Orchid and she looks a heck of a lot better than in the SNES game. Not to mention the ULTRA COMBO voice samples are still there whenever she does a combo.

Another one I love is Ella there. I've no idea if she's actually from some game, but if she's an original, massive props to the maker. It's obvious she's Sadako from the Ringu movies, but her moves and entry animations take in almost every other possible horror movie gag and I love it. Her EX specials are awesome and the Psycho shower scene pastiche especially made me laugh.

EDIT:
Hahaha aw shit, just noticed the other torrent you found. I simply don't have room for that ;_;

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Jul 22, 2006 at 04:49 PM.
BIGWORM

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 05:05 PM #4 of 1438
Any chance you could .rar up your char pack? How big is it? Wait, are those the chars that come with the torrent SOLDIER provided?

Double Post:
I don't know if you have it or not Qwarky, but you should check out Dragon Claw, a complete original character for Mugen

http://www.reubenkee.com/httpdocs/MI.htm

That site also has Evil Ryu and Evil Ken on the front page. They coincide with each other beautifully fighting, with their own custom intro also.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by BIGWORM; Jul 22, 2006 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 05:38 PM #5 of 1438
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I sort of broke MUGEN when using MWC to configure things. I wanted to get rid of that annoying choir when a round starts, so I deleted the round.snd files. Now I can only select a character but then get booted out when the round starts.

But it's probably for the best, since this torrent file should fix much of the headaches associated with MUGEN. EVE is already installed along with 500 characters and 200 stages.

http://www.torrentspy.com/torrent/53...ers_200_stages

In the meantime, I'll start giving out notable characters that are either hard to find or worth adding to your MUGEN library.

First up is Thor, of Marvel fame.

Thor is, by far, the best original MUGEN creation. I know everyone loves that Dragon Claw character, and I haven't had a chance to play around with him, but I'm utterly impressed by the care and presentation put to Thor. His moves are awesome, yet he doesn't feel as cheap or overpowered as other MUGEN characters.

He even gets his own ending!

Very impressive. If there were more MUGEN customs like this the community would be thriving.

Grab Thor here.

http://rapidshare.de/files/26670082/Thor.rar.html

EDIT: Post was made after Qwarky's post. Glad to see his selection screen is nice and neat, though it seems Ella is still a mystery.

Anyway, unless I can undo the mistake I did, I'll be out of the MUGEN business for a few days (until the 500 character torrent finishes).

I'll still update with characters and such.

Quote:
I'm actually pretty satisfied with the CVS2 style energy bars etc, but the Soul Calibur announcer and round choir have got to go. I have no idea if they can be easily removed and replaced, but I'm certainly going to try.
That's precisely what I want to figure out. The choir is annoying as hell. As for the announcer, I'd probably pick the guy from SFA3 or Capcom vs SNK2, just because the cheesy lines go with the cheesy crossovers.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Soldier; Jul 22, 2006 at 05:41 PM.
BIGWORM

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 05:53 PM #6 of 1438
SOLDIER, I'm 90% done with that torrent you posted. I can upload whatever you need from it, which I'm assuming will be the entire sound DIR correct?

Double Post:
Oh yeah, I've read about Ella. She's an original made character to resemble Ella from The Ring movies. She looks as though she was drawn from Freeman from Garou: Mark of the Wolves.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by BIGWORM; Jul 22, 2006 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 05:59 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 12:59 AM #7 of 1438
Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Any chance you could .rar up your char pack? How big is it? Wait, are those the chars that come with the torrent SOLDIER provided?
All my current chars are from this previous torrent SOLDIER found for me
http://www.mininova.org/tor/274128

The chars folder is about 2.6GB =x

I managed to make some room on my HD and downloading the 500 char torrent in order to check if there's anything interesting. I don't really need the whole thing since I already have a working MUGEN + EVE, so I'm just interested in the characters and stages + music, but alas, of course I have to get the whole thing first.

The biggest problem with the mininova torrent was that its select.def file was set for the MACBZ style character select screen (and even then it couldn't fit all the characters on screen, leaving many outside the window awkwardly), so I had to make a report of the rar folders in order to get a list of the character names in text and then copy pasted those into the EVE select.def.

Still, it could have been worse, I might have had to add them all individually =x

EDIT:
Oh, you're already downloading it, good. When it finishes, please let me know if it has actual complete sets of characters (for instance, all the characters for SFA3, or Darkstalkers, etc)

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Jul 22, 2006 at 06:05 PM.
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 06:04 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 01:04 AM #8 of 1438
Can someone post the original Mugen? The link in the first post doesn't work.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
BIGWORM

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 06:09 PM #9 of 1438
K, found it:

http://www.mgbr.net/index.php?end=mu...=131&sid=25827

WinMugen Hack 04_06_2004*

Last edited by BIGWORM; Jul 22, 2006 at 06:15 PM.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 06:11 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 01:11 AM #10 of 1438
I guess unless someone rerapidshares it, you can get the windows version from
http://unofficial-winmugen.jpn.org/

Though I'd actually recommend looking into that massive torrent that comes with EVE and all the characters, cause basic Mugen with only one character is such a depressing sight

Most amazing jew boots

BIGWORM

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 06:16 PM #11 of 1438
K SOLDIER, that torrent is done. Tell me what you need. More than likely I'll just .rar the char dir and upload it

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 06:19 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 01:19 AM #12 of 1438
I can't for the life of me understand how you got it so fast, I'm currently getting 26kb/s 8kb/s max

So, can you give me some idea of the range of games involved? Is the collection more towards original/joke characters or characters from other fighting games? Any full sets? ;_;

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

BIGWORM

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 06:21 PM #13 of 1438
I'm currently extracting it right now. I'll give a rundown of what's included when it's done. I downloaded it so fast because I'm on an 8MB/768KBPS connection--I was downloading at 300kb/s roughly

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 06:34 PM #14 of 1438
You people and your massive internet speeds...or maybe mine just sucks. This warrants a thread later...

Anyway, I'm only at 3%, with ETA at 2 days or so. It's going to take a while, but once it finishes I'll let you know what characters I'll still need.

Quote:
The chars folder is about 2.6GB =x

I managed to make some room on my HD and downloading the 500 char torrent in order to check if there's anything interesting.
Good thing I invested in a 200GB hard drive, full of mp3's, DVD ISO's, PS2 ISO's, anime episodes, and so forth. I'm curious how much space a folder of 500+ characters will take up though. :/

Quote:
Still, it could have been worse, I might have had to add them all individually =x
I wasted 2 days of my life doing that, and I want them back.

Anyway, here's another recommended character: The Alien Queen (Alien vs Predator).

The Queen makes for a cool boss fight, though it's not nearly as difficult as the Metroid. Plus it comes with a fun minigame where you have to eliminate a certain amount of alien spawns.

http://rapidshare.de/files/26676985/QUEEN.zip.html

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Congle line of abuse. Or is that conga-line. Or congaline.
3.1 inches of glory

Member 4123

Level 28.07

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 06:48 PM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 04:48 PM #15 of 1438
MUGEN is just wacky. If there was a way to play on a console then It'd be worth the beans and effort to put it all together :3

FELIPE NO
BIGWORM

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 06:57 PM #16 of 1438
K, seems I'm having problems with the music constantly crashing Mugen, so I'm going to transfer ALL of the character and incorporate them into the Mugen I already have...that and the stages too. Wish me luck. @_@

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 06:58 PM #17 of 1438
Believe me, I'd kill for Nintendo to allow some sort of MUGEN-inspired game for the Virtual Console, giving us the freedom to mix and match the classic games however we see fit. Unfortunately, I know this will never happen, due to licensing issues. I wish there was a way where most of the companies would approve the idea, as long as the program wasn't used to create anything like nude characters (which honestly, isn't worth your time in MUGEN. Sexy Mai isn't quite sexy).

What does sound appealing is the possibility of a MUGEN-related program that would allow online gaming. Sure the fights would be uneven as people would likely used souped up DBZ or SF characters, but it would still be fun as hell.

This is almost sewers worthy.

http://www.mugenguild.net/~bane84/

Ryu, Tyson and Sora are decent customs, but the live characters are just sad. I like how the skinny guy tosses weights at you. :/

Quote:
K, seems I'm having problems with the music constantly crashing Mugen, so I'm going to transfer ALL of the character and incorporate them into the Mugen I already have...that and the stages too. Wish me luck. @_@
Wouldn't it be easier for you to just replace all the music (under their respective .def files)?

BIGWORM

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 07:10 PM #18 of 1438
K, found a workaround. I just dragged all of the characters from the Mugen torrent I downloaded into the Mugen char dir that I already had, then overwrote the select.def within EVE itself (of course after backing it up). Worked like a charm. Now I'm going to import the stages.

Most amazing jew boots
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 07:27 PM #19 of 1438
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7omK...enkai%20battle

Marvin had some cool moves but annoying sounds. Krusty was just plain scary, but Popeye was awesome overall.

I want that Lion-O most of all, though.

BIGWORM

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 07:42 PM #20 of 1438
You want Lion-O? You got him:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...0C7F202AB5917A

How ya doing, buddy?
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 09:11 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 04:11 AM #21 of 1438
Well, I figured out how to change the announcer. The announcer's lines are in a file called fight.snd and your mugen is set to load it by default. Find another .snd file for a different announcer and you just have to edit the fight.def file and change the line

snd = fight.snd

with another .snd file you're going to use. Or replace the fight.snd file in the folder with another one. Either way you'll need to look up a .snd file with the announcer (as I sure as hell don't know how to make my own).

I'm currently using the announcer from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and while he's not great (though admittedly hilarious), he's at least better than the choir
http://rotb.mgbr.net/zips/jojosoundpack.zip

You can also replace the fight sound effects with something else, which is the

common.snd = COMMON.SND

line. But I'm perfectly pleased with the ones in use. Now to alter that character selection screen.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:04 PM #22 of 1438
Excellent. Thanks for figuring out. Too bad I broke my MUGEN before waiting for the solution. Oh well, if I leave the torrent on while I sleep it should finish by tommorow.

The character selection screen is another matter. I've seen some better ones posted in the Youtube videos, including the ability to sort your characters by categories (Capcom, SNK, Anime, etc). Any idea how to do that?

Later on, I'll also want to implement more advanced features, like setting an end-boss (or a random list of bosses), minigames (there's a Duck Hunt one going around), character text (characters from DBZMugen have spanish text) and so forth.

How ya doing, buddy?
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:12 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 05:12 AM #23 of 1438
I think they simply mean leaving comment lines with "CAPCOM", "SNK" and then adding the characters in the order you want manually. There's really nothing that you could tag so it'd sort them for you, unless there's some editing program that could do that. I just use notepad.

Speaking of notepad, after countless and countless retries and restarts:

Only to notice it won't fit even the characters I have right now, much less that ones I get later
For now, the ones at the very bottom shall remain "hidden" secret characters, until I comb through the char folder and throw out the really shitty and stupid characters (like that butt ugly dinosaur).

I really like this look though, maybe I could try somewhere in the middle in terms of mini portrait sizes. I still can't figure out why my selection cursor is still so small, but it's nothing serious.

I also realized Jojo's Bizarre Adventure never had separate rounds, you simply had two life bars, so there's no Round 2 announcements or further, just a "FIGHT". Better find those other announcers soon.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Jul 22, 2006 at 10:14 PM.
BIGWORM

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:04 PM #24 of 1438
Duck Hunt v1.1:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...EBCA3A1BEAFC50

Lizardcommando
WHAT?!

Member 1286

Level 18.96

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:22 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 10:22 PM #25 of 1438
Oh shit, I remember messing around with MUGEN a while back. I only had about 20 random characters ranging from characters from the Street Fighter series to some SNK characters. I also got Zero from SVC:Chaos and some panda named Batang. I couldn't exactly do much with it though. I certainly liked adding in music from Megaman X and Megaman Zero series (namely the remixes from Z2 - Z4). There were some tracks that matched with some of the levels I got, but it's been a while, so i can't really remember...

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [:plant:] Official MUGEN Thread