Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:42 PM #101 of 3592
Megalith jumped the shark as the article even says there's no direct quote and all he says is that when it rolls around, the game's up. They're assuming that his comments on the Blu-Ray issue = delay, and therefore a delay of the console itself is delayed.

"Coming Spring 2006" doesn't exactly sound like a launch date, especially when it could easily be referring to E3 2006.

I was speaking idiomatically.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
RYU
Hoshi X Hayabusa

Member 173

Level 33.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:46 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 12:46 AM #102 of 3592
Playstation 3 Delay Confirmed Officially
Quote:
Sony's CEO Howard Stringer told an interviewer from Variety Magazine that the PS3 has been "officially" delayed until later this year due to complications with the chipset. According to the article, the PlayStation 3 will hit the market sometime around the holiday season, and it could possibly take then even longer to make it to the US.

"Sony’s new PlayStation 3 was widely expected to be introduced this spring, but will be delayed as the company fine-tunes the chips that are crucial to the success of the console’s Blu-ray function. The PlayStation 3 —- which is being called “the poor man’s Blue-ray” —- is vital to Sony’s plans because it plays Blu-ray discs as well as videogames.

Sony will roll out the PS3 by year end, in time for the holidays. If PS3 “delivers what everyone thinks it will, the game is up,” Stringer boasts.

Blu-ray is the system developed by Sony to view next-generation high-definition DVDs. Rival format HD DVD is championed by Toshiba. Microsoft recently joined the HD DVD camp, a move that came as its Xbox 360 videogame console is trying to grab market share from PlayStation, the industry leader."
source

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:49 PM #103 of 3592

FELIPE NO
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:24 PM #104 of 3592
Originally Posted by Variety
Sony's CEO Howard Stringer told an interviewer from Variety Magazine that the PS3 has been "officially" delayed until later this year due to complications with the chipset. According to the article, the PlayStation 3 will hit the market sometime around the holiday season, and it could possibly take then even longer to make it to the US.
And yet Stringer doesn't say a word about delaying it, Variety says he said it though, so it must be true. Way to applaud the vague.

Quote:
Sony's new PlayStation 3 was widely expected to be introduced this spring, but will be delayed as the company fine-tunes the chips that are crucial to the success of the console's Blu-ray function.

The PlayStation 3 --- which is being called "the poor man's Blue-ray" --- is vital to Sony's plans because it plays Blu-ray discs as well as videogames.

Sony will roll out the PS3 by year end, in time for the holidays. If PS3 "delivers what everyone thinks it will, the game is up," Stringer boasts.

Blu-ray is the system developed by Sony to view next-generation high-definition DVDs. Rival format HD DVD is championed by Toshiba. Microsoft recently joined the HD DVD camp, a move that came as its Xbox 360 videogame console is trying to grab market share from PlayStation, the industry leader.

Software makers, electronics firms and Hollywood studios have lined up behind one or the other, or both.

For Sony, the stakes of the rivalry are colossal. The new discs are seen as a way to energize flattening DVD sales. Both the systems also make movies harder to pirate.
It says the console as been delayed, but when? Who said it? That's essentially all it says on the machine.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:53 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 04:53 PM #105 of 3592
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
And yet Stringer doesn't say a word about delaying it, Variety says he said it though, so it must be true. Way to applaud the vague.

It says the console as been delayed, but when? Who said it? That's essentially all it says on the machine.
The article notes flattening DVD sales, I was not aware of this. I thought DVDs were doing very well. But anyways, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are going to take two years at least to get as popular as DVDs did early on and that's if everyone loves the formats. But with two formats and restrictive DRM, that's highly unlikely.

How ya doing, buddy?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:17 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 01:17 PM #106 of 3592
Originally Posted by RYU
Playstation 3 Delay Confirmed Officially

source
Well that basically confirms that europe won't see the PS3 until 2007, and america probably won't either.

Oh well, I can wait. So long as they get the backwards compatibility sorted out on the official launch date there won't be much of a problem. As a side, this is a great excuse to spend money elsewhere, on more important issues.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:24 PM #107 of 3592
Originally Posted by www.sega.co.jp
The article notes flattening DVD sales, I was not aware of this. I thought DVDs were doing very well. But anyways, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are going to take two years at least to get as popular as DVDs did early on and that's if everyone loves the formats. But with two formats and restrictive DRM, that's highly unlikely.
Well, what other reason would Hollywood have behind pushing these two formats and the amount of DRM they're requiring of each? They're simply taking advantage of the slowing DVD sales to introduce the successor as HDTVs are purchased. Hollywood's increased influence as opposed to the original DVD shows that they're trying to nip pirating in the bud, something that's causing the entire industry problems.

I, however, fully welcome our DVD overlords.

Edit: Where does Stringer say the console is delayed? Variety says he says it in the interview, but iz not theah.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:43 PM #108 of 3592
DVD sales are going down due to the cheap price of DVD burners.

Why lie.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
neothe0ne
River Chocobo

Member 461

Level 25.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:48 PM #109 of 3592
And because of pirates, to watch next-gen DVD's on the computer, we need a new computer monitor, graphics card, and disc drive? To watch them on a TV, which should be superior, we need a new HDTV and a new disc player?

Something's out of place here, but it almost seems like Hollywood wants to make itself a niche instead of being mainstream.

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:51 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 01:51 PM #110 of 3592
Originally Posted by neothe0ne
And because of pirates, to watch next-gen DVD's on the computer, we need a new computer monitor, graphics card, and disc drive? To watch them on a TV, which should be superior, we need a new HDTV and a new disc player?

Something's out of place here, but it almost seems like Hollywood wants to make itself a niche instead of being mainstream.
PIRATES TAKING OVER.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if alot of people stuck with the current generation of items: PS2, Gamecube, xbox, and DVDs mainly because they're all freely available, quite easy to understand, and all of the above can be pirated.

Also, I haven't heard anything of next generation DVDs requiring you to fork out for a new monitor in order to play them.

Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:11 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 06:11 PM #111 of 3592
Or, you know.. it could be the fact alot of movies lately have been shit.

FELIPE NO
Keero
Time-Shifter

Member 754

Level 7.21

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:50 PM #112 of 3592
Originally Posted by Shonos
Or, you know.. it could be the fact alot of movies lately have been shit.
You know...I have never..ever thought of it that way. Payout for movies is getting lower for the stars, for production also.

Most amazing jew boots
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:55 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 05:55 PM #113 of 3592
Delay in a product that really never had a release date.

Something tells me there is a business perspective to this more than a hardware related delay. When Sony made a vague Spring 2006 release date last year I think they expected the XBox 360 to do much better than it has been and the PS2 support to taper off far more than it has. But here we are a year later and the PS2 is still dominating in hardware sales with a huge amount of AAA titles due out sometime this year. Seems like they would just like to get what they can out of the PS2 before introducing the PS3 to the market.

I'm not really considered about anything though. The developer support speaks louder than anything else could and it looks like the Playstation is going to be the best choice for games yet again.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Terran Gell
Nurse Demon

Member 1265

Level 3.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 03:37 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 01:37 PM #114 of 3592
Another bit of info about the potential delay.

http://www.gametrailers.com/viewnews.php?id=3007

There's nowhere I can't reach.
quazi
I apologize for nothing!

Member 353

Level 15.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 03:48 PM #115 of 3592
Originally Posted by neothe0ne

Anti-piracy pirates haven't figured it out yet. Effective anti-copying measures need to do one and only one thing. They need to make it easier to pay for the products you use rather than steal them. This new wave of anti-copying measures ironically does the exact opposite. It almost only targets the users who buy products with their own money. If you steal ripped Blu-Ray files that have their copyright protection cracked then you don't need to deal with any of this mess. Way to go MIAA.

How ya doing, buddy?

"Oh sirrah"
-Hedonism Bot
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:24 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 09:24 PM #116 of 3592
Originally Posted by quazi
Anti-piracy pirates haven't figured it out yet. Effective anti-copying measures need to do one and only one thing. They need to make it easier to pay for the products you use rather than steal them. This new wave of anti-copying measures ironically does the exact opposite. It almost only targets the users who buy products with their own money. If you steal ripped Blu-Ray files that have their copyright protection cracked then you don't need to deal with any of this mess. Way to go MIAA.
Since most of the copy protection deals with output, it looks like they're too confident in their "invincible" data protection. Watch within two years we'll be as far with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray cracking as we are with DVDs now.

T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:25 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 01:25 AM #117 of 3592
Originally Posted by www.sega.co.jp
Since most of the copy protection deals with output, it looks like they're too confident in their "invincible" data protection. Watch within two years we'll be as far with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray cracking as we are with DVDs now.
I wouldn't be surprised if it happens sooner. During the beginning of the year I would look forward to whatever Sony ARccOS protected discs I could get my hands on. But finally Sony has taken note that it's pretty much a lost cause but I look forward to whatever protection they dish out next.

http://www.forbes.com/2006/03/10/mac...rtner=yahootix

Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:55 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 11:55 PM #118 of 3592
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
Well, looks like the nice folks over on GAF have found out what the name of Insomniac's 8th title is. BTW, this is that WWII/Sci-Fi first person shooter shown at last year's E3 if anyone forgot.

I-8 (never really a name) is actually Resistance: Fall of Man.
So is David Bergeaud composing for it or what.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 04:00 AM #119 of 3592
That's all the info that's been leaked about it, Kaleb. You wouldn't be wrong to bet he'll probably be working on the game's tracks, since it looks like the Ratchet games are over and he's been involved with most of Insomniac's games thus far.

FELIPE NO

Terran Gell
Nurse Demon

Member 1265

Level 3.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:12 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 04:12 PM #120 of 3592
This just in...

http://www.gametrailers.com/viewnews.php?id=3019

Most amazing jew boots
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:34 PM #121 of 3592
Big anouncement? What else is there to show?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 08:04 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 02:04 PM #122 of 3592
Quote:
Gamesindustry.biz also has information from unnamed European sources, who indicate that Sony will make a "a major announcement" next week. The sources, however, wouldn't elaborate further or even confirm that the PS3 would be involved.
This doesn't sound right. They've gotten information from an unnamed source, but when they talk to the unnamed source, they don't elaborate. And why is it unnamed?

Could be a rumour.

Most amazing jew boots
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:18 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 02:18 PM #123 of 3592
Originally Posted by Freddy Krueger
Big anouncement? What else is there to show?
So people say about the Revolution, but Nintendo insists that there's more to it than the remote.

Anyway, this could just mean an announcement date (Yeah, right) or something similar.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 01:28 PM #124 of 3592
Yeah Sony just officially announced the PS3 launch delay:
Quote:
14-Mar-06 12:28 ET In Play Sony to delay the release of its PlayStation 3 next-generation video game console - DJ (SNE) 47.48 +0.71: Dow Jones reporting that Sony Computer Entertainment will delay the release of its PlayStation 3 next-generation video game console until early November because the copy protection technology for the Blu-ray Disc has not been finalized, The Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported in its Wednesday morning edition.
http://www.mainichi-msn.co.jp/today/...20147000c.html

That's November for Japan by the way. The Nihon Keizai Shimbun has been wrong in the past though so hopefully we'll see some more confirmations later on tonight.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 01:59 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 11:59 AM #125 of 3592
Yeah, well at least I can budget my time accordingly and it'll help to "digest" the current games I have now. Honestly for me the PS3 can wait while other games get the attention they deserve.

Perhaps if I start getting on the PS3 games too soon, my backlog of PS1 games will never be finished since perhaps my mind will "expect" next gen graphics for everything I play then on subconsciously, perhaps not letting me fully enjoy PS1 games.

But I WOULD be saddened if FFXII was delayed any further. Even if they were to delay it, we don't have an official date yet for FFXII NA release. Oh well.

- What we all do best -
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread