Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 240 Voting/WEEK 241 Nominating

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:12 AM Local time: Feb 15, 2011, 04:12 AM #1 of 26
Song of the Week - WEEK 240 Voting/WEEK 241 Nominating

Song of the Week. 225 Weeks and counting.
Week 240 Voting is open.
Week 241 Nominating is open.

Also it's theme week voting time. I hope you didn't forget, because I sure didn't! (Really, I definitely 100% did not!) Pick your top three choices, in order, from this wonderful list:

a wonderful list for wonderful people:
March of the Intros: Intro/main menu themes can be important for setting the mood of a game, regardless of genre. And they tend to be very short affairs, with some exceptions, so such a week could be an extended 60s week of sorts.

SyFyLis Channel Original Musics: Nominate your most out of this world game tracks with a sci-fi connection. Maybe tie-in with some major sci-fi game/TV series/movie launch.

SotW Unplugged: An acoustic (or faux-acoustic) instrumentation week, acoustic guitar being the obvious example.

The Anti-Battle: Take the eight lowest scoring tracks in SotW history; Vote on Worst of the Worst with negative points given out.

.38 Doujin Special: Temporarily remove the rule against doujin (fanmade remixes) for a week of OCR-inspired madness.

Follin Follies II: Electric Boogaloo: More music from the ever-popular Brothers Follin, who left VGM for the high-profile and exciting world of advertising.

A Word to the Wise Week: Someone liked this David Wise fellow enough to say he gets his own week too.

VGM Fossil Week: Pre-1995 music only. No music that has been composed since Waterworld was in theaters allowed!

Super Hella Irritating Tracks: Crash's Audio Punishment EXtravaganza, bite-sized--only the worst VGM need apply.

Listening in Circles: Racing musics only. Because music from racing games rules. This is a fact proven by real science.

If at First You Don't Succeed Week: Nominate something new from an album/game/whatever from which you've nominated something before, but which has yet to place in any week. This game really does have good music, I promise!

Tracks
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Ardy Lightfoot (Game Rip) - Island of Ruins
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Dark Reign 2 (Red Book Audio) - In-Game 7
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Dune - Spice Opera - Spice Opera
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: GT Legends (Game Rip) - Bluetone
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Kwakfest - Nario Riding Naked on a Totally Righteous Dragon
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: michigan ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Chicago Skyline In The Fog
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Nekketsu Kouha Kunio Kun Music Collection - Vs Soviet Union, Team Theme
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: seiya-murai plug+program - SCI-FI

Voting Rules:
Voters must distribute 6 points among the 8 nominees, giving points to at least 3 songs, giving no song more than 3 points, and giving no more than one of their choices 3 points. Possible ways of voting include:
Spoiler:
"Traditional"
Song1 - 3 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 1 pt.

"Even Stevens"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 2 pts.

"Tough Decision"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.

"Nomination Bias"
Song1 - 3 pts.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.

"Indecisive"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.
Song5 - 1 pt.

"Shotgun Spread"
Song1 - 1 pt.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.
Song5 - 1 pt.
Song6 - 1 pt.

Notes:
Please remember to upload your nominations to the SotW server! Uploaded noms mean a faster, smoother SotW experience for everyone. Server information:
Spoiler:
* Host: ftp.sotw.info
* Username: nominations@sotw.info (that is the actual username; not an e-mail address)
* Password: gff
* Port: 21

Week 241 Nominating:
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Undertale (PC, 2015)
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:04 PM #2 of 26
Damn you, CHz, preempting my hard work on a slightly snarkier SotW this week But hey, it means I don't have to wait until Sunday for someone else to post so I can vote.

Theme week votes:
1. SotW Unplugged
2. If at First You Don't Succeed Week
3. VGM Fossil Week

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:10 PM Local time: Feb 15, 2011, 09:10 AM #3 of 26
My theme week votes:
1. Listening in Circles
3. VGM Fossil Week

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2011, 01:39 PM Local time: Feb 15, 2011, 07:39 PM #4 of 26
My preference order:

1. Listening in Circles
2. VGM Fossil Week
3. The Anti-Battle

Most amazing jew boots
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:50 AM Local time: Feb 16, 2011, 12:50 AM #5 of 26
  • Album: Tetsudou Seminar Ongakuhen
  • Artist: Minoru Mukaiya
  • Disc #: 1 (of 1)
  • Track #: 15
  • Track Title: MAROON (Hankyu Railway Image BGM)
  • Catalogue Number: QACR-30002
  • Year: 2009
  • Additional Info: Basically the same as the in-game version with a new twenty second passage in the middle, WHY DOESN'T THIS LOOP LIKE THE GAME oh well nominating it anyway because shit rules so just set your music player to autoloop like me
  • Source: QACR-30002 | Tetsudou Seminar Ongakuhen - VGMdb

Also here are some theme week picks:
  1. Listening in Circles
  2. March of the Intros
  3. If at First You Don't Succeed Week

I was speaking idiomatically.
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:55 AM Local time: Feb 16, 2011, 06:55 PM #6 of 26
1. SotW Unplugged
2. VGM Fossil Week
3. If at First You Don't Succeed Week

nom'ing is getting exhausting

Nomination #63

Composer: Carlo Castellano
Album: Invaders Corruption - The Soundtrack
Track Title: Liquid Dance
Track Number: 2
Year: 2010
Catalog Number: N/A
Additional Information: saw album pop up on vgmdb. downloaded album. listened to album. listened to track 2 about 5 times in a row. nom'd.

drippity drop disco, plip plop polka to the FTP!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Feb 16, 2011, 07:00 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2011, 04:00 PM #7 of 26
Stop me if Ys is too popular. Though, unlike much of this album, the track I'm nominating is (to the best of my knowledge) an original track rather than an arrangement.

=== Nominator's Name ===
* Album: Ys Origin Original Sound Track
* Artist: Falcom Sound Team jdk (Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga, Ryo Takeshita)
* Disc #: 1 of 2
* Track #: 9 of 19
* Track Title: OBORO
* Catalogue Number: NW10102720
* Year: 2007
* Additional Info: Ys up off deez nuts
* Source: NW10102720 | Ys Origin Original Sound Track - VGMdb ... then you're done.

FELIPE NO
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2011, 07:53 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2011, 10:53 AM #8 of 26
Stop me if Ys is too popular. Though, unlike much of this album, the track I'm nominating is (to the best of my knowledge) an original track rather than an arrangement.

=== Nominator's Name ===
* Album: Ys Origin Original Sound Track
* Artist: Falcom Sound Team jdk (Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga, Ryo Takeshita)
* Disc #: 1 of 2
* Track #: 9 of 19
* Track Title: OBORO
* Catalogue Number: NW10102720
* Year: 2007
* Additional Info: Ys up off deez nuts
* Source: NW10102720 | Ys Origin Original Sound Track - VGMdb ... then you're done.
I personally think it's too well known, at least on these forums. It made the top 16 in BSC 2008 and I think that usually signifies ineligibility.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:52 AM #9 of 26
I'm fine with Ys. Time was I would have complained, but these days when noms are scarce I tend to see anything that isn't on the level of Final Fantasy or Super Mario as fair game.

Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Feb 17, 2011, 04:33 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2011, 01:33 PM #10 of 26
It made the top 16 in BSC 2008 and I think that usually signifies ineligibility.
That's a good point. Didn't know that. I'll see about doing something different.

How ya doing, buddy?
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:11 PM #11 of 26
Votes for this week and picks for theme week:

(2 points) seiya-murai plug+program - SCI-FI: The best of a meh week. Upbeat with fun synths. No glaring faults.

(1 point) Kwakfest - Nario Riding Naked on a Totally Righteous Dragon: Point for name alone. Oh okay, the music's decent as well.

(1 point) michigan ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Chicago Skyline In The Fog: Piano. But it's the Michigan soundtrack and it's talking about the Chicago skyline? What gives?

(1 point) Dark Reign 2 (Red Book Audio) - In-Game 7: I enjoyed the last third, I just wish it didn't take so long to get there.

(1 point) Nekketsu Kouha Kunio Kun Music Collection - Vs Soviet Union, Team Theme: Damn you Ruskies!! This has a Soviet tinge to it, which is nice for chiptuneage.

Votes for theme week:

1. The Anti-Battle
2. SotW Unplugged
3. Word to the Wise

Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Feb 17, 2011, 06:42 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2011, 03:42 PM #12 of 26
I'm replacing my Ys nomination with a new one.

Here's something that I've been waiting to nominate, but wanted at least a year to pass since its release, and by the time voting happens it will have been a full year. This is my favorite track released in 2010.

=== Kaleb.G ===
* Album: DO-DON-PACHI DAI-FUKKATSU BLACK LABEL Original Sound Track
* Artist: Manabu Namiki
* Disc #: 1 (of 1)
* Track #: 2 (of 17)
* Track Title: Vertex (Stage1)
* Catalogue Number: CVST-0012
* Year: 2010
* Source: CVST-0012 | DO-DON-PACHI DAI-FUKKATSU BLACK LABEL Original Sound Track - VGMdb

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:00 AM #13 of 26
But it's the Michigan soundtrack and it's talking about the Chicago skyline? What gives?
*Lake* Michigan, the body of water on which Chicago lies. The game is about mist from the lake and hideous creatures that dwell within.

How ya doing, buddy?
Opfer
nice

Member 28563

Level 18.16

Mar 2008

Old Feb 19, 2011, 05:11 AM Local time: Feb 19, 2011, 12:11 PM #14 of 26
Nomination:

Album/Game Title: Tower of Heaven - Original Soundtrack
Artist: Flashygoodness
Composer: Flashygoodness
Track Number: 02
Track Title: Stairway to Revelation
Year: 2010
Source: Tower of Heaven - Original Soundtrack - VGMdb

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Feb 19, 2011, 07:21 PM Local time: Feb 19, 2011, 04:21 PM #15 of 26
3 points - seiya-murai plug+program - SCI-FI
2 points - Ardy Lightfoot (Game Rip) - Island of Ruins
1 point - Dark Reign 2 (Red Book Audio) - In-Game 7

honorable mention: Kwakfest - Nario Riding Naked on a Totally Righteous Dragon

Even though "Island of Ruins" was my nomination, that "SCI-FI" track is a pretty cool guy. Good week on the whole.

FELIPE NO
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2011, 05:56 PM #16 of 26
My theme week votes:

1st: Listening in Circles (800% accurate description)

2nd: A Word to the Wise Week (Composer spotlight weeks need to happen more often)(Kirkhope is still better)

3rd: March of the Intros (I also like the idea of a contextual theme; something in-game related that ties the music together, which the other themes don't have)

Votes and regular nominating coming up shortly.

orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:06 AM #17 of 26
Ardy Lightfoot (Game Rip) - Island of Ruins Nicely atmospheric, but would be better with some more meat on dem bones.

Dark Reign 2 (Red Book Audio) - In-Game 7 Certainly sounds dark, but more in the "spooky sonic wallpaper" way than the "great listen out of context" way. But I'm sure it's gangbusters in-game, and there are some neat rhythm bits here and there.

Dune - Spice Opera - Spice Opera Oh god more Dune. Long, rambling, and with some really odd samples, it doesn't do much for me at all. Where's Toto when you need them?

GT Legends (Game Rip) - Bluetone Guitars and a loungy sound. If that's all you demand, you get it here in spades.

Kwakfest - Nario Riding Naked on a Totally Righteous Dragon Winner of the Best Title Ever award, easily. No music could cash the check that title writes, although the tune is cheesy and fun.

michigan ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Chicago Skyline In The Fog If you don't like icy piano solos you best stop listening now. I like icy piano solos.

Nekketsu Kouha Kunio Kun Music Collection - Vs Soviet Union, Team Theme In Soviet Russia, NES plays you! Decent chiptune.

seiya-murai plug+program - SCI-FI Not as sci-fi as the title promises, but not bad.

The Point Spread
3 pts. - Chicago Skyline
2 pts. - Best Title Ever
1 pt. - Syfy

Nom
Album: SimCity Societies
Composer: Trevor Morris
Track Number: 01
Track Title: Kittens, Cake and Cotton
Year: 2007
Source: VGMdb

Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:33 AM #18 of 26
"Shortly" lol

3 points: Nario Riding Naked on a Totally Righteous Dragon
2 points: Vs Soviet Union, Team Theme
1 point: Spice Opera
Just Missed: everything else

Love this week. Kaufman channeled DiCola with stunning accuracy in parts of his tune, I had to give it 3 points.

Nomination coming up... shortly?

EDIT: Oh yeah I should probably change my avatar as well.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:19 PM Local time: Feb 22, 2011, 10:19 AM #19 of 26
Have to agree that this is a great week. Voting was really tough and I was torn between rewarding tracks I really like to recognising more cool tunes.

(2 points) seiya-murai plug-program - SCI-FI
This was surprisingly good. Gosh, what kind of game is this?

(2 points) Kwakfest - Nario Riding Naked on a Totally Righteous Dragon

(2 points) Dark Reign 2 (Red Book Audio) - In-Game 7

Wish I had points for these: michigan, Ardy Lightfoot and Dune

Theme week preferences:
1) SyFyLis Channel Original Musics
2) .38 Doujin Special
3) VGM Fossil Week

I think therefore I am... I think.

Last edited by Elorin; Feb 21, 2011 at 09:24 PM.
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:40 AM Local time: Feb 22, 2011, 04:40 PM #20 of 26
Comments! The audience pretends to cheer.

Ardy Lightfoot (Game Rip) - Island of Ruins is very disappointing. I love the atmosphere and the artificial voice sample, but the track goes absolutely nowhere. This is a damn shame because I would have been a sucker for this one had it shown off a bit...more.

Dark Reign 2 (Red Book Audio) - In-Game 7 is unnoticeable until 1:53 when *snaps awake* something happens! Later on an electric guitar happens. It elicits apathy. Overall this one sounds like OK spooky background music, but it's not up to much on a standalone level.

Dune - Spice Opera - Spice Opera is certainly not the best from a generally fantastic soundtrack, but I still dig it. It gets samey towards the end, though the intrigue carried by the hybrid combination of sounds is something that on the whole appeals to me.

GT Legends (Game Rip) - Bluetone: (not my cup of tea at all nom, sorry)

viiiiiiiiirt! Kwakfest - Nario Riding Naked on a Totally Righteous Dragon probably deserves to win this week. It's an agreeable concoction of cheese and synth and fun and soaring guitar, which is usually a successful VGM formula. It could have done with a catchier melody, but what's here is undoubtedly enjoyable.

michigan ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Chicago Skyline In The Fog is one of those pieces that demand me to be in a certain mood in order to enjoy fully. At the moment I'm more in a mood which allows me to enjoy the track above, so I can't help but struggle to get into this one. Icy, sparse and emotive in a beautifully understated manner for sure (and I will save it for later), but I don't know if it will get points here.

The melody in Nekketsu Kouha Kunio Kun Music Collection - Vs Soviet Union, Team Theme sounds so authentically Russian, like a Tetris BGM only better. The chip action here is insanely catchy and engaging, and I get hooked by the section starting at 1:05 every time. The whole Nekketsu Kouha Kunio Kun Music Collection is a tour de force of great music and I recommend people to look into getting it.

I'm familiar with quite a few of Seiya Murai's BGM's from the pop'n series and Mitsumete Knight and despite the lack of composer credits for the latter I can only assume he is a good melody-maker. seiya-murai plug+program - SCI-FI is a solid arrangement of the pop'n tune, though gets a tad over-the-top and confusing at times. Still, it beats most of the competition in this particular week.

itallic (and therefore better) POINTS

3 points: Nekketsu Kouha Kunio Kun Music Collection - Vs Soviet Union, Team Theme
2 points: Kwakfest - Nario Riding Naked on a Totally Righteous Dragon
1 point: Dune - Spice Opera - Spice Opera
4th: seiya-murai plug+program - SCI-FI

5th: michigan ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Chicago Skyline In The Fog
6th: Ardy Lightfoot (Game Rip) - Island of Ruins
7th: Dark Reign 2 (Red Book Audio) - In-Game 7
8th: GT Legends (Game Rip) - Bluetone

Gap between the first four and the last 4 tracks is huge, however it must be said that I still enjoyed this bumpy week. =)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:18 AM #21 of 26
3 points - Dune - Spice Opera - Spice Opera
2 points - Nekketsu Kouha Kunio Kun Music Collection - Vs Soviet Union, Team Theme
1 point - seiya-murai plug+program - SCI-FI

Oh yeah, and theme week votes:
1. A Word to the Wise Week
3. VGM Fossil Week

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by TheKnightOfNee; Feb 22, 2011 at 04:43 PM.
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:12 AM Local time: Feb 22, 2011, 06:12 PM #22 of 26
2 points: Dune - Spice Opera - Spice Opera
1 point: Dark Reign 2 (Red Book Audio) - In-Game 7
1 point: GT Legends (Game Rip) - Bluetone
1 point: Kwakfest - Nario Riding Naked on a Totally Righteous Dragon
1 point: Nekketsu Kouha Kunio Kun Music Collection - Vs Soviet Union, Team Theme

Nomination:
  • Album: Milk Race (ZX Spectrum Game Rip)
  • Artist: David Whittaker
  • Track Title: Title
  • Year: 1987

Theme week votes:
  1. A Word to the Wise Week
  2. VGM Fossil Week
  3. Listening in Circles

Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:03 PM #23 of 26
(2 points) Dune - Spice Opera - Spice Opera
(2 points) GT Legends (Game Rip) - Bluetone
(1 point) Kwakfest - Nario Riding Naked on a Totally Righteous Dragon
(1 point) seiya-murai plug+program - SCI-FI

Theme Weeks:

1.A Word to the Wise Week
2.SotW Unplugged
3..38 Doujin Special

Nomination:

Album: Virgin Games Greatest Hits / Volume One
Composer: Mark Miller
Arranger: Tommy Tallarico
Track #: 9
Title: Victory (Robocop vs. The Terminator)
Year: 1994

Most amazing jew boots
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:47 AM Local time: Feb 24, 2011, 12:47 AM #24 of 26
2 points: Dune - Spice Opera - Spice Opera
2 points: Kwakfest - Nario Riding Naked on a Totally Righteous Dragon
1 point: GT Legends (Game Rip) - Bluetone
1 point: Nekketsu Kouha Kunio Kun Music Collection - Vs Soviet Union, Team Theme

Nario Riding Naked, like every track on the album, was written in one hour for a compo. (and it wasn't even the best track)

Fuck yes mysterious fantasy dungeon basslines, Island of Ruins is pretty rad. No points, but I offer free hugs.

Great week.

EDIT: Oh yeah I should probably change my avatar as well.
False.

Undertale (PC, 2015)
ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:54 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2011, 06:54 PM #25 of 26
Votes!

1 point ~ Kwakfest - Nario Riding Naked on a Totally Righteous Dragon
1 point ~ Nekketsu Kouha Kunio Kun Music Collection - Vs Soviet Union, Team Theme
2 points ~ seiya-murai plug+program - SCI-FI
2 points ~ michigan ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK - Chicago Skyline In The Fog

And nomination:

Album: Super Monkey Ball Step & Roll
Composer: Unknown (Teruhiko Nakagawa?)
Title: World 3 ~ Chimpan Sea
Add. info: it comes from a youtube rip. It looks that the game was ripped but the music was segmented. So a youtube guy joined the parts but it looks like he didn't realease the rip anywhere else.

Already uploaded to the FTP

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 240 Voting/WEEK 241 Nominating