Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PSP] Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops [PSP]

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 03:41 PM #51 of 98
This is a question that I've really been wanting an answer to for some time now. Does MGS:PO online portion have PSP headset support? Since the game is so teamwork based, I would hope so.

How ya doing, buddy?
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 07:30 PM Local time: Dec 5, 2006, 06:30 PM #52 of 98
IGN gave it a 9.0

Quote:
8.0 Presentation
Portable Ops manages to meld the flavor of Snake Eater with the strategic elements of Acid to make a completely new title.
8.5 Graphics
The Subsistence Engine transitions over to the PSP extremely well. Slowdown, texture tears and camera issues hamper it though.
9.0 Sound
Excellent voice acting is paired with a great soundtrack to make an excellent aural experience.
9.0 Gameplay
Recruiting soldiers is amazingly deep, and you can literally spend hours on end building your forces and taking on sub-missions.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
Ad Hoc, Infrastructure and Cyber Survival, along with recruiting, will easily keep this UMD in PSPs for a long time.
9.0 Outstanding OVERALL
http://psp.ign.com/articles/749/749133p3.html

According to an interview with Ryan Payton, Associate Producer at Kojima Productions the game will take about 15-20 hours to finish. It'll take even longer if you do the all the sub missions.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/747/747782p1.html

BTW, check out the game's homepage. It's got some videos demonstrating the game's features. One of the online features that sounds intriguing is the ability to take your hole unit against another person's. Sounds kinda like a RTS thing, as you gotta pick what soldiers would be good at what positions. The digital comic cinematics look incredible too, meshed in with VA, SE, and a score totally different experience as opposed to just reading everything like a comic. I wonder, could this be the future of comics? From some of the scenes they showed, I'm guessing at one point

Man, can't wait to pick up a copy.

http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/mpo/

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Pietak
HEY!!!

Member 1652

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:28 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 12:28 AM #53 of 98
Well, I've got to wait until Christmas until I can unwrap it and put it in my PSP. Thankfully Booster has come out with DevHook .51, which will allow me to play MPO without a firmware update. Woohoo!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Love it.
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 04:29 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 01:29 PM #54 of 98
Well this one game thats on my list for my PSP, cause lord knows it needs more good games.

On a side note thats more related to MGS3, did you guys know the Calorie Mate food item in the game is an actual snack product in Japan, and Keiffer Sutherland did commercial in Japan for it? (And its a parody of 24?)

http://www.jlist.com/SNACKS/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tg8rQM3v3k&eurl=

Thought you guys might find it interesting. The US should have imported this snack when MGS3 came out, I'm sure there are fans who wanna taste and see why Snake loves it so much.

Most amazing jew boots

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
Pietak
HEY!!!

Member 1652

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:30 PM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 12:30 AM #55 of 98
Ha, yes. I debated with myself whether to import some or not for a time...

FELIPE NO
Love it.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:32 PM #56 of 98
That was one of the best commercials ever, lol XD

Man, I got MGS: PO and man, it is AMAZING!!! I've never seen a handheld game with such high production values before. Also Roy pretty darn cool, now I see why he's looked up to in the later games.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 02:55 AM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 01:55 AM #57 of 98
I just picked it up today too (heh, and luckily my import PSP just came in the mail yesterday). Oddly enough EB didn't have any, they said the game isn't due out till next week (the game's original date). Heh, oh well, at least Future Shop's stock for it came in.

Man, the cinematics are impressive, digital comic is an awesome medium for it! Just recruited my first soldier and the cinematic for it was beautiful, giving more insight on what the Boss meant about loyalty. Kind of a bummer that there's no VA for the codec or the ingame sequences though. Some of the spoken dialogue in the trailers are actually from codec or ingame sequences, which I guess were removed /cut, or never included in the final product (unfortunate).

For gameplay, the controls are kinda awkward. I'm having so much trouble trying to aim/shoot/fpv and other basic stuff, but I'm gradually getting the hang of it. It's also weird to not have a second analog stick to control the camera, which is kinda annoying me right now. Though at least they give you the option to switch controls, which is exactly what I did. Switched the analog stick to be the camera and the D-pad to be movement, this set actually works a little better IMO (less hurt to the thumb too).

Music is great as well, and gives a very similar atmosphere to MGS3. Cinematic pieces are pretty good too, but nothing that really stands out for me yet. Heh kinda just waiting to hear the theme piece used in the trailers. Definitely can't wait till the OST ships.

BTW, regarding the Calorie Mate thing, I remember that commercial. Heh, it was quite the topic back in the MGS3 thread. At least we know Jack snaked during commercial breaks, heh. Actually, I've heard that the Calorie Mates are quite good and affordable (heh, I might consider importing some).

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:07 AM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 06:07 PM #58 of 98
Does the game get better once you have some more squad members? I thought the game was really weird and boring, but then again I haven't played too much yet.

This "capturing" feature. It's so silly. I can't find myself taking this game and the soldier interrogations serious. They should really have made Acid 3 instead.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dizzy
The Latin Cockroach

Member 729

Level 16.74

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:08 PM Local time: Dec 8, 2006, 12:08 AM #59 of 98
Something that kept me thinking about the ending of Snake Eater...

Spoiler:
Big boss is supposed to be the greatest soldier ever. That's why ex-mambers of Fox-Hound wanted his remains. But The Boss kept kicking Snake ass though the entire game and she was killed at the end because she was ordered to. So that means that she was not fighting with full force, making her the real greatest soldier ever. Or at least that what it seems to be. Obviously Ocelot knew this, so why didn't they asked for her remains (or just go to the cemetery and steal her body =P)? It's clear that Kojima Hadn't though of that part of the story when Metal Gear Solid was released, but maybe in Portable Ops they show WHY Snake was superior than Boss. If anyone can answer this while playing the game I'll be very pleased (try not to spoil much of the game please).

Damn, I feel really like a Geek >_>

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

| XBL: Dizzy4U | PSN: Dizzy4U |
| GFF ¡En Español! | My YouTube |
Pietak
HEY!!!

Member 1652

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:25 PM Local time: Dec 8, 2006, 01:25 AM #60 of 98
Also, be sure to use spoiler tags. My ass has to wait until Christmas so...

Anyway, Dizzy:
Spoiler:

When playing against the Boss, in the final battle, she does indeed use all of her strength, it is her lack of perception, which is what Snake uses to win in the battle, that accounts for the downfall of the Boss.

Love it.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 08:15 AM #61 of 98
Also there's this...

Spoiler:
Whether she was or wasn't doesn't really matter. As far as the goverment and the world knew Naked Snake defeated the Boss, and if she wasn't fighting her hardest, Snake sure as hell couldn't tell, therefore everyone including Snake believes that he defeated her. So there you have it.

Pietak
HEY!!!

Member 1652

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 06:56 PM Local time: Dec 8, 2006, 08:56 PM #62 of 98
Quote:
The package; for the European version, is going to be kickass.
Quote:
The image... The image is - real cool. You know?
In a recent podcast by Kojima Productions, hinting at a unique package to hit the European market that is, "Ryan Payton's Favorite," package out of all territories that MPO is to be released.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind having [the cover of the EU MPO], as a poster in my house, it seems like it isn't even a game poster. - It really is cool.
Man, I want to see it!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Love it.
TheXeno
Overlord

Member 13483

Level 8.29

Oct 2006

Old Dec 9, 2006, 05:29 AM Local time: Dec 9, 2006, 05:29 AM #63 of 98
Oh shit, I just beat it. This easily justifies me buying a psp for this one game . I also bought Killzone and Lumines 1 the other day too. The presentation for the story is great, Hayter is at his best. The story is good, expect quite a few twists.

The gameplay is the but the controls feel really awkward after playing subsitance but I got used to them after a couple of hour (one can also customize buttons and there are several different layouts also helped). Also the boss fights are fantastic, I used a tranquilizer on all of them, and I got one or two bosses to join my side by just doing that.

I haven't really messed around with online which was one of the greatest things about subsistance so I might give some immpressions later.

FELIPE NO
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Dec 9, 2006, 11:39 AM Local time: Dec 9, 2006, 10:39 AM #64 of 98
Currenlty I'm at the medical facility, pretty cool. This recruiting thing really becomes useful once you start capturing the more useful units. Such as spy units that'll help you scout out weapons, or medic units that increase you hp and stamina regen rate. Just really disappointed that they couldn't have fit in more voice acting, especially for some of these non-cinematic text heavy exchanges between characters.

Originally Posted by TheXeno
Also the boss fights are fantastic, I used a tranquilizer on all of them, and I got one or two bosses to join my side by just doing that.
Sweet! I'll be sure to the traq when I get to them then. I've also read that if you have saves from other Metal Gear PSP games (eg. Ac!d or the Digital Graphic Novels) that'll unlock some other units as well. I willing to bet thatt the soundtrack will come with some sort of code to unlock a secret character as well.

I haven't really messed around with online which was one of the greatest things about subsistance so I might give some immpressions later.
I've tried joining a game, but apparently there were none to connect to. Did anyone else have this trouble? I figured there'd be a few games being hosted by now, but nothing comes up whenever I connect. Could it be because I imported my PSP ? Meaning I connect to the Japanese network? If that's the case, then that might explain it as Japan's release isn't for another week or so ...

TheXeno
Overlord

Member 13483

Level 8.29

Oct 2006

Old Dec 9, 2006, 11:50 AM Local time: Dec 9, 2006, 11:50 AM #65 of 98
Quote:
I've tried joining a game, but apparently there were none to connect to. Did anyone else have this trouble? I figured there'd be a few games being hosted by now, but nothing comes up whenever I connect. Could it be because I imported my PSP ? Meaning I connect to the Japanese network? If that's the case, then that might explain it as Japan's release isn't for another week or so ...
Hmm....

You have a US region copy right? I would think it would work, there should always be people no matter what the time of day or week in the snake lobby :P

Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:41 PM Local time: Dec 9, 2006, 11:41 AM #66 of 98
Hmm....

You have a US region copy right? I would think it would work, there should always be people no matter what the time of day or week in the snake lobby :P
That's interesting, mine never loaded a lobby. I chose the Free vs. mode (or which ever one it was) on the main menu and all it did was give options was to Join a game or create a game. Oh and yea, mines the US copy (of course).

Hmm... I don't have the PSP on hand otherwise I'd try to connect again.

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 9, 2006, 02:30 PM #67 of 98
the free VS is the Ad Hoc VS, you have to go into campaign and then into multiplayer through the map menu to do online VS

Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Dec 9, 2006, 09:30 PM Local time: Dec 9, 2006, 08:30 PM #68 of 98
Originally Posted by Slayer X
the free VS is the Ad Hoc VS, you have to go into campaign and then into multiplayer through the map menu to do online VS
Ahhh, thanks. I'll give that a try next time. What exactly is the Ad Hoc VS mode then?

Pietak
HEY!!!

Member 1652

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2006, 02:18 AM Local time: Dec 10, 2006, 04:18 AM #69 of 98
Ad Hoc referrs to the presense of other PSP's in the area.

Love it.
Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2006, 04:02 PM Local time: Dec 11, 2006, 02:02 AM #70 of 98
Originally Posted by Dizzy

Spoiler:
Big boss is supposed to be the greatest soldier ever. That's why ex-mambers of Fox-Hound wanted his remains. But The Boss kept kicking Snake ass though the entire game and she was killed at the end because she was ordered to. So that means that she was not fighting with full force, making her the real greatest soldier ever. Or at least that what it seems to be. Obviously Ocelot knew this, so why didn't they asked for her remains (or just go to the cemetery and steal her body =P)? It's clear that Kojima Hadn't though of that part of the story when Metal Gear Solid was released, but maybe in Portable Ops they show WHY Snake was superior than Boss. If anyone can answer this while playing the game I'll be very pleased (try not to spoil much of the game please).

Damn, I feel really like a Geek >_>
I felt the same thing , you will find the answers by the end of MGSPO.
MGSPO story is better than SnakeEater, just finished it.
Gameplay was awkward but for story i am sold.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Pietak
HEY!!!

Member 1652

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2006, 09:34 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2006, 11:34 PM #71 of 98
Originally Posted by Sexninja
MGSPO story is better than SnakeEater, just finished it.
Holy shit.

That's really saying something huge. Are you sure? It is that good? Man, I'm just counting the days!

FELIPE NO
Love it.
Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2006, 05:20 AM Local time: Dec 11, 2006, 03:20 PM #72 of 98
Believe me, why i say this, is because it makes so many new revelations on existing SnakeEater. About true Volgins character and why he launched nuke etc.

There is much more which connects things with MGS4.

Moreover the Script,dialogues are super tight specially in the end.

New Bosses are very well made with proper and meaningful(to the whole series) backgrounds unlike MGS3.

Expect lots of twists. Story picks up later by the end quarter. Specially the end, this game deserves proper polygon Cutscenes because the story itself feels epic in comic style.

Snakeeater is just a 'part',this game makes SnakeEater complete..rest will be spoiler.
So get it.
I m sold.

Masamune
Warrior

Member 16800

Level 1.60

Dec 2006

Old Dec 11, 2006, 01:24 PM #73 of 98
Originally Posted by Dizzy

Spoiler:

Snake Eater:
Big Boss beat her fair and square, yes it was her Mission to die but she said herself she wouldn't make it easy for Snake...She did help snake in some tough situations (helping him escape and shot his leg,...) Big Boss beat her using his head and avoiding her deadly head to hand combat.

Mgs PO ,more info:
Big Boss said she was the greatest warrior he knew, and well as many said he didn't deserve the title..BUT if you played the game Mgs PO he does deserve it. He beats a supersoldier and more importantly GENE....the boss's Battle Commander succesor (he's strong believe me). And well in the end he uses the title cuz he kicksass

As for the game Mgs PO, there is some additional information but not something to go crazy about. I'm disappointed to find more ridiculous "fury/pain" types in this game. The thing that also bothered me were the missions,jeez after a while it gets boring (repeat,repeat) and i understand why hideo needs to repeat every goddamn thing that happened in snake eater but that too afterwhile gets annoying (this suppose to be a game for FANS..if you didn't play snake eater then you shouldn't play this one at all!)

Andohyeah this just topped everything
ridiculous:
Sokolov is ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!! COME ON!!!!!! he was EXECUTED, WTF?

As for closing comments, i expected MORE story devel. in this story, MORE about Big Boss.....andohyeah normally they should've explained why big boss send his son to his fortress...well, it DOESNT! I do love the comic scenes and music, but like i said not something to crazy about.

I'm glad i borrowed the psp of my friend and downloaded the game..XD...cuz i won't be getting this one, it's just not important in the story line. (ohno there's a MR X...as we didn't knew:s come on!)

Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2006, 02:10 PM Local time: Dec 11, 2006, 01:10 PM #74 of 98
Originally Posted by Pietak
Ad Hoc referrs to the presense of other PSP's in the area.
Oh ok, so like people within the same network?

Well got around to playing online, it's pretty fun. But more or less the same as MGO. However, I like how we aren't limited to just one special character (eg. all players on the map can start with Snake) per game. It's also neat to that you can play online with a whole team of 4 or just 1 (depending on how you set them up in the main game). This aspect of the game will definitely get more attention from players once they get better units (eg. bosses, as they might join your side, if you decided to tranq and capture them that is).

Recruitiing via AP scan is really addictive, haha, I spent a couple last hours just walking around campus trying to find more recruits (managed to get an Ocelot soldier, which was the most unique I've gotten).

And man, the different kinds of weapons you can get is sweet. The coolest one being the shield that those backup units use, that you can actually. Though you can't wield it with a gun, it's just so much fun ramming others while reducing the amount of bullets hitting you at the same time.

Pietak
HEY!!!

Member 1652

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2006, 08:38 PM Local time: Dec 11, 2006, 10:38 PM #75 of 98
Originally Posted by Sexninja
So get it.
I m sold.
Oh I've had it. I preordered the day it came out to pre-order with the bonus. Just two more weeks to wait. Ugh.

Love it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PSP] Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops [PSP]