Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What To Eat? PROTIP: THIS IS THE MGS4 THREAD

Pietak
HEY!!!

Member 1652

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2008, 08:49 PM Local time: May 27, 2008, 10:49 PM #1301 of 1533
What has happened to the KP report? Have there been any new updates since Session 86?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Love it.
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2008, 10:07 PM #1302 of 1533
What has happened to the KP report? Have there been any new updates since Session 86?
No, the KP Report was put on indefinite hold a few months ago due to crunch time in getting the game finished. There is a new report in the game though since you can find and listen to one of Ryan's podcasts on Snake's iPod.

HideChan, the Japanese report, is still going on though with Kojima showing up on a couple of occasions. Actually he was on their a few weeks ago discussing the issue of how the American press and what happened with EDGE magazine and such.

EDIT: Another review is in courtesy of GamePro - 5/5. Some select quotes along with their pros and cons:
Quote:
Every once in a long while, a game will come along and change all the rules. Final Fantasy 7 transformed the RPG genre. Resident Evil helped create a new sub-category of gaming - survival horror - and Grand Theft Auto 3 single-handedly reshaped the gaming landscape. And now comes Metal Gear Solid 4, a game whose potential influence on the current state of gaming is nothing short of tectonic.
Quote:
"[MGS4] sets new standards for graphics, sound, gameplay, and storytelling, and it may be years before it is equaled, let alone surpassed. You will not play a better game this year -- maybe even this decade. If you own a PS3, buy this game the day it comes out. And if you don't own a PS3, well, you better start saving your nickels and dimes."

Pros: One of the greatest games ever created, it satisfies in almost every way possible.

Cons: "Stress" concept is initially hard to grasp, a tutorial for newcomers would of been appreciated.
EGM won't have the review in their new issue since they missed the deadline but the crew did talk about it and the quick point version of what they said...
Quote:
Jeremy:

- MGS4 represents the truest expression of the "Metal Gear" concept the world will ever see.
- Bittersweet that the series is over but at least it goes out in style.
- Controls a welcome addtion but he wishes for a cover system.
- Different approach to the game you dont have to be stealthy if you dont want to, infact many big firefights dont allow for stealth.
- Environments larger than MGS3
- You will find out what "La-li-lu-le-lo" means.
- Usually played stealthly in MGS games but killing people is so effective in this game that he got a high kill count.
- Having Drebin on call for ammo makes resource management less of an issue, also offers ridiculous number of possible weapon choices. But best to trick out a few favorites.

Andrew:

- New camera is a relief.
- Didn't mind the lack of dedicated cover system, to busy rushing into battle and getting Drebin points
- Game really encourages run and gun approach, but you can still play both ways.
- New gear and systems like octo camo and MK2 are great.

Matt:

- Played game on easy and hardest mode. On easy you can run around and not fear anything.
- On harder modes he really found the need for cover, wished the expanded the wall hug system they have.
- Other than that new control scheme does a great job, but does not feel it matches those of Splinter Cell.

Shane:

- Loved Act 1's unpredictable pacing, it ditches the usual hand holding tutorial.
- "The game contsnatly toys with your expectations right before exceeding them"
- Commends MGS4 "shockingly well-realized environments"
- "As always, Kojima productions dedication to stuffing the game with oddles of minutiae elevates the artistry to a level rarely reached in gaming."
Courtesy of NeoGAF.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Simo; May 27, 2008 at 11:10 PM.
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2008, 12:09 AM Local time: May 27, 2008, 11:09 PM #1303 of 1533
Some details I seemed to of missed is John Cygan's voiceover and in that scene you can see Vamp dancing in between the marching Gekkos. Something you can also see clearly in the better resolution....
I knew that voice sounded familiar, I wonder what his role in the game is.
The last piece of new info from the interview involves a returning character that I'll spoiler mark but it's not a major character and somebody who is apart of Snake's support team:
Spoiler:
Rose is back as a psychological counselor with a combat stress platoon. You can call her for psychological advice in the game where she'll give you tips on how to handle Snake's Stress and Psyche gauges and helping to spike the former by asking what day it is.
Spoiler:
Heh, at first I thought this was going to be about Mei Ling, but it's also good to know Rose is making a return (was actually hoping for it). This should give us some insight on how Raiden has changed.

Not sure if you guys caught it now given the other wealth of info in the post but that "Metal Gear Saga" theme on YouTube link....well it looks like it's legit considering that the Japanese iTunes store has the entire soundtrack up for grabs and you can sample each track including the above posted.
MGS4 OST via Japanese iTunes Store

Glad to see "Old Snake" is some of the TGS '06 trailer music. "Mobs Alive" is also the music that was featured in the E3 2K7 trailer and among my favorites. Glad its on the CD! Listening to all these samples has my very happy I purchased the OST along with hearing them in the game.
"Mobs Alive" is the first track I'm gonna jump to. Can't wait to hear it in its entirety. After that it'll be "Atonement", love that track too. "Metal Gear Saga" was really good, I really liked that cue from the MGS3 version of the theme. Though, it's still not the true MGS theme, nothing can replace the established theme IMO.

Oh and mine just shipped early this morning as well (I think I got the e-mail around 4am). Haha, if I'm real lucky I'll
see it in the mail on Friday. But knowing from previous experiences with CDJapan, that's not likely gonna happen. I always seem to have to pay duty taxes on items I purchase from them.

FELIPE NO
cloud baka
la li lu le lo

Member 30272

Level 7.02

May 2008

Old May 28, 2008, 01:08 AM Local time: May 27, 2008, 10:08 PM #1304 of 1533
The last piece of new info from the interview involves a returning character that I'll spoiler mark but it's not a major character and somebody who is apart of Snake's support team:
Spoiler:
Rose is back as a psychological counselor with a combat stress platoon. You can call her for psychological advice in the game where she'll give you tips on how to handle Snake's Stress and Psyche gauges and helping to spike the former by asking what day it is.
Spoiler:
I had almost forgot about her until i watched the special DVD we got for pre-ordering, though i loved MGS2, i do admit her codec sessions with Raiden did get on my nerves.. maybe it was cause i was playing 10 hours straight with no sleep. But good to hear she's still around.

While somewhat on the subject i'd really like to see how this "stress" factor plays in effect, i'm hoping it won't get totally in the way. But MGS3 introduced something new like fixing wounds and such i thought was pretty cool, hopefully maybe its along the lines of this but a bit more introduced.

"- Loved Act 1's unpredictable pacing, it ditches the usual hand holding tutorial."
I assume he's talking about the beginning of the game where Snake is in a cloak somewhat and his gun is jammed because its an ID-tagged one and you get seamless cutscene and gameplay combinations going. So it's utter chaos with the hail of gunfires and gekkos moving about.. i absolutely love what they did beginning it like that without a tutorial as stated and so you're just trying to escape everything. More games should be like this i can only think of a handful, just brilliant to absorb you in.

On a side note.. i had a dream this morning were i had Octocamo on and i'd drop to floors and hear it kick in, it was cool but weird lol. I want this game now!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2008, 06:39 AM Local time: May 28, 2008, 04:39 PM #1305 of 1533
Spoiler:
according to Famitsu this is Mei Ling
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/ar...1004435973.jpg

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Sexninja; May 28, 2008 at 06:42 AM.
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2008, 07:36 AM Local time: May 28, 2008, 02:36 PM #1306 of 1533
Oh my god, CUTENESS! I wanna BANG you!

Can't believe I'm being hit on by the famous Solid Snake etc.

Spoiler:
How she's changed trades from nerdy girl making a SOLITON Radar, possibly in her basement, to being... captain? I'm very curious about

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2008, 09:45 AM 2 #1307 of 1533
If you guys want the OST here's the first CD courtesy of GoldenEyeRa at TUS:
MGS4 OST - Disc 1

Of course I got it just so I can listen to "Old Snake" and "Mobs Alive".

Here's 2 tracks from the 2nd CD - "Father & Son" and "Atonement". Both sound fucking so good. Plus a third track "One More Reboot":
Atonement
Father & Son
One More Reboot
While somewhat on the subject i'd really like to see how this "stress" factor plays in effect, i'm hoping it won't get totally in the way. But MGS3 introduced something new like fixing wounds and such i thought was pretty cool, hopefully maybe its along the lines of this but a bit more introduced.
Stress gauge seems something like the stamina gauge but it only rises when Snake is under alot of stress like being in the thick of battle or even having to navigate through dark, tight tunnels especially if you're claustophobic....which apparently Snake is. If the Stress gauge gets too high then you can either have a cigarette or whip out the girlie magazine to help lower the gauge.

Also new Famitsu Wave is out which contains a new trailer as well as a page revealing the earlier returning character for Snake's support team along with another returning character that I'm pretty sure sexninja may of posted but without any foreword before his spoiler I have no fucking idea. Either way here's the Famitsu scan:
Spoiler:

Also thought you guys might get a kick out of this..

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Simo; May 28, 2008 at 10:05 AM.
Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2008, 10:15 AM Local time: May 28, 2008, 08:15 PM #1308 of 1533
Spoiler:
and some people on other forums were already getting ON for naomi, for me rosemary looks much more my type, man she has turned much sexier.
and wtf with the name in scan?

it says mailing, if i remember correctly it was meiling?

i hope solidus comes back too, to make things all moe dramatic

Those second disc links giving me errors?
anyone else having problem?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Lizardcommando
WHAT?!

Member 1286

Level 18.96

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2008, 01:55 PM Local time: May 28, 2008, 11:55 AM #1309 of 1533
Haha! What the fuck? That's a pretty funny screencap. I wonder if there's a video online.

As for the spoiler in Simo's post:

Spoiler:
Is it just me or do they look too much alike? Blegh, maybe it's because their hair looks similar.

Last edited by Lizardcommando; May 28, 2008 at 01:58 PM.
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2008, 04:21 PM Local time: May 28, 2008, 03:21 PM #1310 of 1533
If you guys want the OST here's the first CD courtesy of GoldenEyeRa at TUS:
MGS4 OST - Disc 1

Of course I got it just so I can listen to "Old Snake" and "Mobs Alive".

Here's 2 tracks from the 2nd CD - "Father & Son" and "Atonement". Both sound fucking so good. Plus a third track "One More Reboot":
Atonement
Father & Son
One More Reboot
Awesome thanks for the links. "Desperate Chase" is another great composition by HGW. The man can write great chase music, "Sidecar - Escape From The Fortress" and "Sidecar - On The Rail Bridge -" were my favorite tracks from MGS3 and "Desperate Chase" is easily becoming another one of my favorites. Oh and the full version of "Love Theme" is really really good too.

Man, I wish they didn't release the soundtrack before the game. It's like another tease before the main event.

Heh, and the removal of the bandana was pretty neat. I wonder that option is actually available to us in the game (though personally I'll never remove, it's iconic).

As for the spoiler in Simo's post:

Spoiler:
Is it just me or do they look too much alike? Blegh, maybe it's because their hair looks similar.
Spoiler:
Haha, that's exactly what I thought when I first saw the screen. It's definitely the hair that's throwing me off. I also didn't figure Mei Ling to be a Navy Captain either, at least I assume that's the position she's in now.

EDIT:
Aw man, I so glad they got HGW back, he has yet again made some great contributions. Pretty much enjoying everything he's composed. Haha, and man "BB Corps" is creepy, I love how they actually added in the emotions of the unit.

Last edited by Hantei; May 28, 2008 at 05:09 PM.
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2008, 07:45 PM 1 #1311 of 1533
Haha! What the fuck? That's a pretty funny screencap. I wonder if there's a video online.
Yep there is right here:
VIDEO

Awesome thanks for the links. "Desperate Chase" is another great composition by HGW. The man can write great chase music, "Sidecar - Escape From The Fortress" and "Sidecar - On The Rail Bridge -" were my favorite tracks from MGS3 and "Desperate Chase" is easily becoming another one of my favorites. Oh and the full version of "Love Theme" is really really good too.

Man, I wish they didn't release the soundtrack before the game. It's like another tease before the main event.

Aw man, I so glad they got HGW back, he has yet again made some great contributions. Pretty much enjoying everything he's composed. Haha, and man "BB Corps" is creepy, I love how they actually added in the emotions of the unit.
Yeah but I really like Toda's tracks too. Overall the OST, at least the first disc, "Atonement" and "Father & Son" is outstanding especially in all 3 composers mix together. That's all I'll be listening to though and it's a nice treat before the game's release!

Speaking of which...I guess it was inevitable since the game is shipping to retailers June 6th but it looks like somebody as got a copy early over on GameFAQs. They've managed to post some details and screengrabs including these never before seen caps. NO SPOILERS:

Kind of a shame considering spoilers will no doubt hit everywhere which pretty much means a submergence from the internet earlier than planned. Pretty fucking bummed my EBgames isn't doing a midnight launch either..

FELIPE NO
Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2008, 10:39 PM Local time: May 29, 2008, 08:39 AM #1312 of 1533
Any translation of that hebrew in lovetheme?

Karasu
... Boss. *broken rib*

Member 5720

Level 20.39

Apr 2006

Old May 29, 2008, 01:08 AM #1313 of 1533
Love theme is fucking beautiful. Holy lord its amazing.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Tagonist
The Age of Legends

Member 22583

Level 14.69

May 2007

Old May 29, 2008, 03:16 AM Local time: May 29, 2008, 10:16 AM #1314 of 1533
I think the track's name "Love Theme" is something of an understatement. Don't know wether that's deliberatly done or not, but "Love Theme" sounds like "oh yeah, well, the obligatory love theme, something generic with strings". Couldn't be more misleading.

These are the Books of Harrow
They are our doom and our salvation
Learn from them, or we will all perish
cloud baka
la li lu le lo

Member 30272

Level 7.02

May 2008

Old May 29, 2008, 04:37 AM Local time: May 29, 2008, 01:37 AM #1315 of 1533
Thanks for music download links, disc 1 is amazing. Mobs Alive and Desperate Chase being my favs of the disc. Love Theme is great to, i also liked the mix they used for Brawl, i guess it wouldn't be on there but i'd like to have it instead of having it loop on the Wii.

The new screen shots look beautiful as well, and WTH?! We don't start off with Octocamo? Well thats kind of weird but oh well, looks like we'll still get it pretty early anyways. As for the midnight release, no info yet from Gamestop, but i'm assuming they'll post something the week of. Also those pre-ordering through online both regular and CE of the game will ship overnight and be there on June 12th guaranteed or you get a nice refund.

Really wish i had a HDTV for the game, i was thinking about getting an HDMI to DVI cable for my flatscreen monitor cause it supports HDCP, but only problem is sound. I don't have anything or want to be using more money on something like that, i know bout Y-Cable but nothing to hook it up too. I also opted for a cheap 19" LCD HDTV thats around $279 but i'm still strapped for cash. Ah well, i'm sure it'll still be good on my standard TV, but HD looks amazing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Lizardcommando
WHAT?!

Member 1286

Level 18.96

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2008, 02:19 PM Local time: May 29, 2008, 12:19 PM #1316 of 1533
The link to MGS4 OST Disc 1 is no longer available.

Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2008, 02:33 PM #1317 of 1533
The link to MGS4 OST Disc 1 is no longer available.
I'll work on uploading it to Sendspace then!

EDIT: Done - Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

Last edited by Simo; May 29, 2008 at 03:08 PM.
Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2008, 01:01 AM Local time: May 30, 2008, 11:01 AM #1318 of 1533
Spoiler:

The official site has updated to include Mei Ling and Rose in the character profiles. There's sound clips too!

Rose's VA is listed as Jennifer Hale {samus aran and more check imdb}

Crying Wolf's VA has changed again back to what it originally was.

also people are getting their artbooks already, anyone interested in scanning and posting or no?

There is some jap mag confirming solidus wont be back and bigboss will make appearence in past or present that is mystery.

damn i wanted solidus

and yea rose has broken up with raiden

N4G.com : MGS4 Meristation Review

Lizardcommando
WHAT?!

Member 1286

Level 18.96

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2008, 01:23 AM Local time: May 29, 2008, 11:23 PM #1319 of 1533
Thanks for re-uploading the soundtrack, Simo.

FELIPE NO
Tagonist
The Age of Legends

Member 22583

Level 14.69

May 2007

Old May 30, 2008, 04:55 AM Local time: May 30, 2008, 11:55 AM #1320 of 1533
Eurogamer gives it a 8/10. Cue fanboy rage. This just further deepens my disagreement with most of EGs scores of late.
And no I haven't read the review. Way too spoilery.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2008, 05:08 AM #1321 of 1533
I got the new issue of PSM with the huge review on this. I've been fighting temptation to read it, but it seems just about every other page in the mag has something on MGS4. So I gave in and while I don't think there's anything HUGE spoilerific from the game in the review, it's made me want this game even worse now. 11 days and counting.

How ya doing, buddy?

Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2008, 08:49 AM Local time: May 30, 2008, 06:49 PM #1322 of 1533
There are two breed of gamers who will get MGS4, regardless of any review

There are ones with PS3 and no good title, will play any good high budget proper title, since PS3 lacks exclusives[ps has serious drought].

Then there are those who are ardent fans, who have already purchased PS for this game or will do immediatley within launch month.

I don't think reviews matter much for estabilished franchise, who can just sell on 'names'.

GTprologue had onemillion preorders and other games selling so well[like GTAIV, Bshock, AC, ME, CoD4}, i wonder if MGS4 will be multi million.

IGN review is up too, 9.9.

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2008, 01:28 PM Local time: May 30, 2008, 12:28 PM #1323 of 1533
Eurogamer gives it a 8/10. Cue fanboy rage. This just further deepens my disagreement with most of EGs scores of late.
And no I haven't read the review. Way too spoilery.
How does one disagree with something they've never read about a game they've never played?

Come the fuck on here.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
BlindMonk
A ride! Now that's a good idea!

Member 28143

Level 18.68

Feb 2008

Old May 30, 2008, 01:47 PM Local time: May 30, 2008, 01:47 PM #1324 of 1533
That Eurogamer review played extremely fair given the polarizing nature of MGS. I think I'm going to be checking that site more in the future.

Tagonist
The Age of Legends

Member 22583

Level 14.69

May 2007

Old May 30, 2008, 01:51 PM Local time: May 30, 2008, 08:51 PM 3 #1325 of 1533
True. As I said, it's not entirely rational, fanboyism that is.
For some reason I'd expect this game to score higher. But thinking about it (and checking the older scores) EG always scored the MGSs a little lower than others, Snake Eater (not Subsistence) also "just" scoring an 8.

It's this fanboy thing. I WANT the game to be good. And not just good, but mind blastingly amazing. So any hint that it won't be is a bit of a letdown and causes some not entirely thought through reactions. Especially since I don't exactly care about any kind of review. I'll buy this game anyway. And chances are, I'll like it a lot.

But this is just part of a bigger issue, basically that of gaming reviews and the scoring system in general. I think a system that's basically just a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" would be something I favor. No more "yeah, but this racing game is .563% better than this shooter!"

But that's pretty much off topic now. Till now EGs review is the lowest score it's got so far. Other reviews are a lot more positive. But having read (other) reviews by people like tim rogers from pushactionbutton, this is probably not going to be the lowest score the game will get.
I mean, MGS4 seems - from what I can gather - to be following an very old fashioned formula, and adding several layers of glitz (and hopefully some improved controls) onto that. Personally, I'm not one of the people shunning "old fashoined" games that have a strict seperation between interactivity and narrative, or in general games that don't reinvent themselves with each iteration (and, which game actually DOES that anyway? Since IV that's not even something that can be said about Quake. )
But looking at a lot of criticism GTA IV got for example was mostly about that. Why play IV, it's III all over again with shiny graphics. Which is both true and false, but game reviews tend to always be highly subjective.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What To Eat? PROTIP: THIS IS THE MGS4 THREAD