Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:27 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 09:27 AM #1251 of 3592
Originally Posted by RacinReaver
I'm asking about the quality improvement from a PS2 to PS3 on an older CRT, not to new technologies (I've seen that plenty whenever I walk into my local Best Buy).

Heh, and it's a shame I bought my LCD display back when they were pretty expensive. I had a really tiny-ass dorm room and wanted enough space on my desk to put both my keyboard, monitor, and a textbook, so I forked out $450 for a really nice 17" Dell monitor (it was a steal at the time, too!). The monitor's still looking beautiful, so I doubt I'll want to replace it any time soon, and there's no way I'm going to be able to drop $600 on a new TV, so I guess I'm stuck with old technology for another generation.

Oh, sorry for my misunderstanding. But yes you'll still see a substantial increase in quality going from a PS2 to a PS3 while using the same screen. The much higher polygon count, sharper textures, far draw distances, smoother animation and higher frame rates the PS3 offers over the PS2 will still be highly noticeable especially on a CRT that can support resolutions above 640x480. You may lose a bit of sharpness having to covert from HDMI to DVI then from DVI to VGA but it wouldn't be a huge loss of quality. This is assuming the CRT does not have a DVI cable, which most do not.

Again, considering PC games try playing Morrowind at say 800x600 at max detail then move to Oblivion using 800x600 max detail. Even at the same resolution, Oblivion is obviously going to look far better thanks to higher capabilities of the Oblivion engine.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Cetra; Sep 22, 2006 at 12:30 PM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:33 PM #1252 of 3592
Not to mention, downscaling 720p or 1080p gives people playing on CRT sets free FSAA (or is it MSAA). Either way, aliasing will likely be less noticeable on regular televisions.

New pictures of the PS3 box, controller, console and cases:

Both PS3 models have trim, the cheaper one having black trim.

The Blu-Ray logo is etched into the upper left of the boxes, above the black strip. Overall, it looks really fucking nice.

How ya doing, buddy?

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Sep 22, 2006 at 01:04 PM.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 01:10 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 12:10 PM #1253 of 3592
Originally Posted by SouthJag
I'm gonna have to check out the new Warhawk trailer. If it's making Skills consider a PS3, it's gotta be worth seeing.
Ahaha, I come off as that anti-Sony? I have to apologize for that. Of all the systems in my current collection, my PS2 enjoys the largest percent of games I own by a LARGE margin. (My 99 PS2 games is something like 19.5 percent of my entire collection). So I'm no anti-fanboy and I'd like to apoligze if I come off like that.

In my own defense, I was planning on getting a unit at launch up until they announced the initial shipment numbers. It was bad enough with the 360, but something like this would be worse and a lot more hellish to put up with. Especially since EB and such up here isn't taking preorders at all, no trade in deals or nothing.

But yeah. Warhawk. Hot. What did you think? I'm just pumped for 32 player online with that and landing and getting out of the aircraft and basically how fucking huge the maps are. That could be such a riot it's not even funny.

As for the cases, they could do without that large plastic bar (for lack of a better word) at the top of them there. Still, they look worlds better than the older mockups.

I was speaking idiomatically.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 01:24 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 01:24 PM #1254 of 3592
Skills, which Warhawk trailer is? The one from GC 2006?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 01:42 PM #1255 of 3592
Quote:
Ahaha, I come off as that anti-Sony? I have to apologize for that. Of all the systems in my current collection, my PS2 enjoys the largest percent of games I own by a LARGE margin. (My 99 PS2 games is something like 19.5 percent of my entire collection).
Well that's no surprise, considering the PS2 has 3 to 4 times more games than any other current system. Glad they made the boxart different from Blu Ray movies.

I'm still hoping for some more surprise announcements. White Knight Story alone was good enough to make a believer of most people, now imagine two or three more titles announced with similar production values.

And to think it's just a first generation game.

FELIPE NO
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 01:55 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 11:55 AM #1256 of 3592
So what happened to the whole PooS idea?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

- What we all do best -
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 02:19 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 01:19 PM #1257 of 3592
Originally Posted by SouthJag
Skills, which Warhawk trailer is? The one from GC 2006?
No, the new TGS one:
http://anon.psjp.speedera.net/anon.p.../h_warhawk.wmv

That, combined with the "Behind the Scenes" stuff from the official site has me pretty excited. The multiplayer capabilities is what's getting me going. (And because I'm a faggot for air combat games).

Originally Posted by SOLDIER
Well that's no surprise, considering the PS2 has 3 to 4 times more games than any other current system. Glad they made the boxart different from Blu Ray movies.
Well, that's a not entirely fair thing to say. While there are more games on the PS2, yes, there is also a larger amount of crap on it too. I still prefer the best of the cube's titles above most of what the PS2 has to offer. (Hell, Prime is my favorite game of this last generation. Period.)

The real reason I own that many has nothing to do with how many the PS2 has, but because I resigned to getting most multiplatform stuff for the PS2, if I had a choice.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 02:28 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 02:28 PM #1258 of 3592
Hm....air combat, check. Ground combat, check. Land vehicle combat, check. Really, the GC 2006 didn't give as good as an impression as this new trailer did. Damn, this game really does look awesome -- I thought it was all flight, but this looks really, really damn cool. Thanks Skills for bringing that trailer up!

Most amazing jew boots
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 02:38 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 01:38 PM #1259 of 3592
You're welcome. I just hope that those MASSIVE air battles that you see in the trailer against all those capital ships are available in some sort of online mode. Like one team of 16 tries to defend those while another 16 try to destroy them all or something. That'd be some serious shit.

No details like that exist though, as far as I can tell. Hopefully the official site will have more available shortly.

Most amazing jew boots
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 06:47 PM Local time: Sep 23, 2006, 09:47 AM #1260 of 3592
All this Warhawk talk makes me lust for a sequel to the PS2's Sky Odyssey. SO AWESOME. I think it was a first party developed title and everything, come on Sony. ;_;

Mmm N64 Expansion Pak.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 07:15 PM #1261 of 3592
Apparently, this game has got many an X-Naut (lol, TYD reference) pissed off. The game I'm talking about is Ninja Gaiden Black: Sigma which is basically an uber-enhanced port of the widely acclaimed title. And this thing is running at 1080p @ 60fps.

Resistance: Fall of Man boxart -

Gundam: Target in Sight boxart -

And here we though most games would only be 720p.

PS3 - Monster Kingdom

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Sep 22, 2006 at 08:08 PM.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 09:28 PM #1262 of 3592
Gamespot has a live feed of the TGS showfloor. The only problem is only the first 5 minutes are free.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/event_...=tgs2006&res=1

First details are that Sony is going to continue giving information leading up to the NA release of the PS3. Also some Lair footage was shown that was said to be "incredible".

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 09:44 PM #1263 of 3592
Where's the Lair footage? I heard about the upcoming event sometime in October. Hopefully some sort of megaton will be dropped there or at least fleshed out launch details.

FELIPE NO

eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 09:56 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 09:56 PM #1264 of 3592
2 HDMI ports on the 60 GB PS3?
(Half way down the page)

Interesting...I've never heard of this 'letter box' setup before. What's it used in? Do you guys really think this is plus, or do you think that it just raises the price of the 60 GB model? I know that I would never use two HD TV's lined up next to one another...(Hell. I would never be able to even afford two HD TV's ! Not anytime soon, anyways.)

Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:05 PM #1265 of 3592
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
Where's the Lair footage? I heard about the upcoming event sometime in October. Hopefully some sort of megaton will be dropped there or at least fleshed out launch details.
There's some at the link below recorded off the showfloor given Lair was playable:
http://playsyde.com/news_3493_en.html

Most amazing jew boots
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:27 PM #1266 of 3592
Originally Posted by BlueBomber
2 HDMI ports on the 60 GB PS3?
(Half way down the page)

Interesting...I've never heard of this 'letter box' setup before. What's it used in? Do you guys really think this is plus, or do you think that it just raises the price of the 60 GB model? I know that I would never use two HD TV's lined up next to one another...(Hell. I would never be able to even afford two HD TV's ! Not anytime soon, anyways.)
Damn near useless, further cementing the $600 as a "status" item jam-packed full of pork.

How ya doing, buddy?

eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:39 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 10:39 PM #1267 of 3592
Well, I sort of agree. I was just thinking though, wouldn't this be amazing for multiplayer? I mean, you would only need a single PS3 and a single game for something similar to a Halo LAN party (blasphemy!). I don't know. I hate to say it, but I'm usually the kind of guy who goes for the better/more expensive version of almost anything I purchase. I think I may be doomed to the 60 GB version . Unless I get lucky on Christmas...

Double Post:
PS3 is MUTE.
Just read this via Evil Avatar. Honestly, this is a pretty big plus for me. My roomate has an X-Box 360, and whenever I play it I literally have to turn up the volume on our surround sound just to drown out the noise the console creates. The external power brick is also annoying as hell - glad to see the PS3 eliminating this annoyance. This is one reason the PS3 is so massive, I guess.

Last edited by eprox1; Sep 22, 2006 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:35 PM #1268 of 3592
Originally Posted by BlueBomber
Well, I sort of agree. I was just thinking though, wouldn't this be amazing for multiplayer? I mean, you would only need a single PS3 and a single game for something similar to a Halo LAN party (blasphemy!). I don't know. I hate to say it, but I'm usually the kind of guy who goes for the better/more expensive version of almost anything I purchase. I think I may be doomed to the 60 GB version . Unless I get lucky on Christmas...
Make it well known you want a 20GB PS3, or the cheap one. Play to the fact that you want them to save money, they'll figure out which is the lower priced model. And price = quality. Bose is proof enough of that.

Quote:
Double Post:
PS3 is MUTE.
Just read this via Evil Avatar. Honestly, this is a pretty big plus for me. My roomate has an X-Box 360, and whenever I play it I literally have to turn up the volume on our surround sound just to drown out the noise the console creates. The external power brick is also annoying as hell - glad to see the PS3 eliminating this annoyance. This is one reason the PS3 is so massive, I guess.
Yeah, it's been known already. The PS3 was tested at UL, and that was the consensus. Then there was some sort of leak at another place where it was being tested with Blu-Ray movies on loop and it was still cool and quiet after 28 straight hours.

Here's a little treat for all of you, 720p Resistance trailer:

http://blog.hinjang.com/media/files/...ce_trailer.wmv

Most amazing jew boots

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 23, 2006, 01:06 AM #1269 of 3592
A look at the photo and web browser.

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/6358

The 3D slideshow effect for the pictures and the Firefox-style browser are very nice.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 12:58 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 12:58 PM #1270 of 3592
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6158499.html

Ah well. No US price drop. However, on the plus side the article says all 20GB PS3s will include HDMI ports.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 01:09 PM #1271 of 3592
This is good newsand bad I suppose. But honestly when you're spending $500 is another 50 really that big a deal? Sure it would be nice but I rather spend the extra $50 if it'll give me a better quality product. Especially one that I'll use pratically every day.

FELIPE NO
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 01:32 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 12:32 PM #1272 of 3592
Another 100, not 50.

It's just that, unlike the 360, the shit included in the premium package this time around is completely useless.

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 01:41 PM #1273 of 3592
The premium of the PS3 has the Wi-Fi and the flash memory reader, and an extra 40GB (60GB total). Which is worth more then $100. So it's still a deal, therefore both the core and premium PS3s are decent packages where the core 360 was a bloody crime and M$ deserved a lot more flack then they got for putting that piece of shit package out.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 03:25 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 02:25 PM #1274 of 3592
I can't see myself EVER using the flash memory reader, to be honest. Whoopee? I can use my PSP memory card or the CF from a digital camera for...what? I dunno. Probably nothing terribly interesting. Just like how I don't use the PSP memory card for anything outside of game saves either.

And I doubt I'll use up much space at all on the hard drive. My 360 is close to a year old now and I've used up....maybe 150 megs or something in saves? I dunno, I'd have to look. Then close to another 750 MBs for DLC over however many games? Assuming that the saves and shit that goes onto the PS3 hard drive are of even remotely similar size, I can't imagine myself using up too much HDD space unless I get something like an MMO.

And I suppose the built in wi-fi is the greatest argument for it. Every room in my apartment is wired for ethernet, so I don't have to worry about that myself. But this is the only practical component that might be important for GAMING with the machine.

And you forgot the HOT CHROME TRIM. (lol)

Most amazing jew boots
Mercury
Flaore la ureque!

Member 525

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 03:35 PM #1275 of 3592
The Wi-Fi could be useful to some, especially those who wants to put their PS3 in the living room, plugged in the home theater, and are not geeky enough to have a LAN access already in place there...

As it been said that there will there be a way to replace the HD, for say a 160GB one?

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread