Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What To Eat? PROTIP: THIS IS THE MGS4 THREAD

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2008, 02:17 PM Local time: Jun 25, 2008, 02:17 PM #1501 of 1533
Woooooooooords and stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuf =DDDDDDDDDDD
Spoiler:
I never thought about Drebin's injection being what killed Big Boss. Big Boss *did* grumble about how the Patriots "got him" basically, as he was dying. Makes more sense now =3

I figured that was still Liquid's arm. Attached by nanomachines or what-not. Remember that the arm never looked perfectly "clean" (see #2). No doubt the cybernetic look was just on the outside. I'm pretty sure that it was still Liquid's arm. Looks cybernetic, but it ain't =0 If it was cybernetic, then one of the things regarding Liquid "being" Ocelot falls through. Someone would've gone "hay wtf dats not liquid". I figure that it looks cybernetic simply due to the processes that were involved in the attachment.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2008, 02:37 PM #1502 of 1533
Wordy word word word, word word word. Words. Words.

Spoiler:
You could be right about Ocelot. I don't know. This game actually didn't help simplify that plot point at all... In fact, this game honestly just makes it even more convoluted than it ever was previously. It would have been better off if they had just continued with the "Ocelot is Liquid!" plot point, rather than add the whole hypnosis shtick to it in the ending.

I was mostly going by what the database says (which people say is inaccurate anyway...) that Liquid really did take him over in MGS2 but that Liquid promptly had the arm removed afterwards because he didn't like having his mind under another's control-- and then underwent hypnosis as Big Boss claims in the ending to continue tricking the Patriots without really being under Liquid's control.

How this "tricked" the Patriots I'm not sure. Honestly, I wish they would just outright say what the deal with "Liquid Ocelot" is in a interview or something because everyone seems to have their own ideas about it which doesn't lead to as much closure as I (and others) would have hoped for. =/

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Romhacking.net PSN: Kyuuen XBL: Kyuuen
Chie
Wishful Thinking

Member 10785

Level 9.25

Aug 2006

Old Jun 27, 2008, 03:59 PM #1503 of 1533
I've recently been playing this and I have to say that other than the story, I was really surprised how well MGS4 supports sdtv's.
I can clearly read all the subtitles and menus when I'm playing in my room from a distance.
So far I'm running and gunning just to get through the story and up to act 2.
Spoiler:
Laughing Octopus is a bitch with that roll of hers

FELIPE NO
Karasu
... Boss. *broken rib*

Member 5720

Level 20.39

Apr 2006

Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:24 PM #1504 of 1533
Well, I beat the game last night...

All I gotta say, is what a well done game. It answered everything I questioned, and really gave everything closure.

As for the ending...

Spoiler:
I honestly thought Snake would kill himself. If not to stop the virus in his body from becoming a plague, then to end the misery and pain he's felt for years. It was great to see Big Boss alive and give his 'son' a farewell, and bring things to a close.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
cloud baka
la li lu le lo

Member 30272

Level 7.02

May 2008

Old Jun 29, 2008, 07:30 AM Local time: Jun 29, 2008, 04:30 AM #1505 of 1533
Just filling up this space so i can lead up to the spoiler tag, la la la la - ok so this is what i perceived about Ocelot.
Spoiler:
Like Big Boss said to Snake at the end about Ocelot going through mental suggestion about him "being Liquid" is that Liquid never did take over his body. Big Boss went on talking about something like nanomachines and Liquids arm that was put in place of Ocelots never could resemble another identity let alone be someone else completely.

I think Ocelot did this as a ploy to further keep the Patriots watchful eye on him. And in the end i think, he was being exactly like The Boss (his mother) like she sacrificed herself and everything she was for her countries ideals. He told Snake that this is exactly how he planned it from the beginning, everything would start over. Though he also wanted Big Boss' idealism that still made him the enemy so to speak. And Big Boss himself realized he was wrong, this isn't what The Boss wanted.

So in the end of it all i couldn't see him truly as bad as we thought of him to be, he just really wanted to follow in Big Bosses footsteps while trying to keep The Bosses legacy to co-exist with the other. Ocelot really looked up to Big Boss and that's exactly how he got started in all this when he heard Liquid, one of the sons of Big Boss was doing that stuff on Shadow Moses and decided to join his ranks. That's just the way i thought of it to be.

As for Drebin giving the shot to Snake to get Big Boss at the end, i never thought of it that was but it makes sense.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Elmoogle
Review your CD, slacker!

Member 174

Level 11.98

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:01 AM Local time: Jun 30, 2008, 06:01 AM #1506 of 1533
Finally tore myself away from GTA IV long enough to actually give this game a sit down and fought my way through Acts 1 and 2.

First off, oh my god I suck at stealthan gaem. I'm not really having an issue staying alive, but I'm terrible at taking enemies down without alerting the entire county. I've finally just given up on even attempting CQC or stickups and just safely tranq everybody from a distance followed by an angry knife to the face. I've probably spent two thirds of my game time lying face down waiting for alerts to go away.

And man, the enemies have really heightened their IQs. I find myself simultaneously cussing and in awe of the AI every time a soldier kicks me to see if I really am a dead body. Then of course it's ! and five more minutes of running around, cussing, and finding a place to lay down.

As for the story so far:
Spoiler:
Drebin is best character.
What the hell Campbell is a dirty old man.
Kojima has a five year old's sense of humor (haha poop.)
Snake is mean to little girls
Why didn't Raiden cut Vamp's frikken head off after that fight?

Yeah, that's about it so far.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

This picture of a My Little Pony represents my failure to review the Mix CD that was sent to me. Like this image, I am a shining beacon of shame and disgrace.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:36 AM Local time: Jun 30, 2008, 05:36 AM 2 #1507 of 1533
Y'know, I finally beat it, and I must say that this is easily the worst MGS game I've ever played.

I won't even go into the plot itself, how many weird plot holes need filling, or how it's convoluted, trips over itself at every available opportunity, or is just plain full of itself. It's worse than 2. Not a lie. Buttttt....you've all heard that before. At least the presentation itself, graphically and aurally, is superb, but what's wrapped up in that stuff is some prime bullshit.

But the actual, y'know, GAMEPLAY here is failure to the nth degree. Almost every segment is completely linear. There's one exit for most areas. The paths that ARE there don't really leave a lot to the imagination or present options on how you're gonna handle it. Act 1 handled level design the best, but fuck if it didn't turn to shit shortly after. At least the last three major games did this properly. You know all that shit from the trailers about Octocamo and neat uses like the statue pose? Yeah, that shit SURE CAME UP A LOT. Such a neat idea, so wasted.

And the pacing of the actual gameplay segments was so off. Sure, cutscenes. We know. Lots of 'em. But seperating an act like Act 3 into three equal 15 minute sized chunks with 20+ minute long scenes inbetween doesn't ramp up intensity, it's bad pacing. It's TERRIBLE pacing. Hell, it's fucking BROKEN.

Some of the combat options you're given are weak. How many of the plethora of guns did anyone really use? I think the game told me I had fourty of the damn things and I remember using no more than 8. One lethal pistol, one tranq one, the mosin, the m14, the M4,
Spoiler:
the rail gun
, the stun knife, and the chaff grenades. Most of that other shit? Useless. And speaking of which, why can you BUY THINGS? Honestly here, part of the reason you'll be sneaking and knifing and so forth is because you have to get by with what you get. But now I can buy tranq ammo? Yeah, that changes on BBH, but still. The whole game changes because you can be far more liberal with your supplies.

So yeah, the actual gameplay sections of the barely-qualifies-as-an-interactive-experience are shit. Completely and utterly. It's a shame the most fun I had was when
Spoiler:
you piloted Rex. The controls worked there, surprisingly, and for the most part, the combat in Rex against Ray was loads of fun. Shame there isn't a whole game of that.

I won't complain about the story. That's a love or hate it deal, and I most certainly belong to the last camp. If I rant about that, it'd be pages and pages. But I'm interested in how anyone can enjoy this as a GAME. It seriously boggles my fucking mind.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
cloud baka
la li lu le lo

Member 30272

Level 7.02

May 2008

Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:59 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2008, 04:59 PM #1508 of 1533
I won't even go into the plot itself, how many weird plot holes need filling, or how it's convoluted, trips over itself at every available opportunity, or is just plain full of itself.
I dunno MGS2 took me a couple times to even understand most of the things going on. Even Kojima himself that was probably one thing he regretted making the story maybe too complex. I'm trying to think of one thing in MGS4 where there was a plot hole or i didn't understand, i thought the game wrapped up everything throughout the whole series story wise and actually made some sense.
Quote:
But the actual, y'know, GAMEPLAY here is failure to the nth degree. Almost every segment is completely linear. There's one exit for most areas. The paths that ARE there don't really leave a lot to the imagination or present options on how you're gonna handle it. Act 1 handled level design the best, but fuck if it didn't turn to shit shortly after.
I agree it was pretty much linear and sometimes the loading screens needed you to confirm that "yes i wanna continue!" but after my second time through i found some new areas, mainly South America and Europe parts i hadn't been through before. The difficulty changes rotues i think as well such as the following that resistance member. Middle East though i thought was great, but i totally agree it's pretty much linear and you're pointed in the way to go. But hey it beats spending 80% of a game on some offshore oil facility.
Quote:
Some of the combat options you're given are weak. How many of the plethora of guns did anyone really use? I think the game told me I had fourty of the damn things and I remember using no more than 8. One lethal pistol, one tranq one, the mosin, the m14, the M4,
Spoiler:
the rail gun
, the stun knife, and the chaff grenades. Most of that other shit? Useless. And speaking of which, why can you BUY THINGS? Honestly here, part of the reason you'll be sneaking and knifing and so forth is because you have to get by with what you get. But now I can buy tranq ammo? Yeah, that changes on BBH, but still. The whole game changes because you can be far more liberal with your supplies.
Chose your poison? On The Boss Extreme and maybe Big Boss Hard as you know ammo overall is ridiculously limited to other ammo quantities than the previous difficulties. And there is also a few more weapons to unlock through certain gameplay conditions. This is where i found the game to be at its most fun, the different styles you can play and the conditions if you ever felt so compelled to accomplish. The solar gun is hysterical to use especially when Snake recharges and The Patriot which i have yet to unlock seems really nice. I'd have to agree that there is a lot of other weapons one will probably never touch but i guess it goes along with the type of gamer are you the collector type or just happy with what you work with. I did find some better guns to play with after playing awhile such as the sniper rifle the Kojima recommends, before that i never really spent a lot of time in Drebin's shop i guess. As for the chaff grenades, they seemed pretty much useless until Act 4 at certain parts. Can't even buy from Drebin.
Quote:
I won't complain about the story. That's a love or hate it deal, and I most certainly belong to the last camp. If I rant about that, it'd be pages and pages. But I'm interested in how anyone can enjoy this as a GAME. It seriously boggles my fucking mind.
I can say i enjoyed it overall, with a few disgruntled areas such as areas being linear and the confirmation of continuing in next area. There were a few more things but for me the positives outweighed the negatives. I can see how people won't like it much cause its pretty much a different kind of game on its own than from the series which can either be a good or bad thing. Shit i tried playing MGS2 and MGS3 again and i was angered cause i didn't have full control of the camera and the pressure sensitive first person aiming/shooting, i guess that took more skill.

After playing it through 3 times i'm kind of all MGS'd out for the moment. I'll try The Boss Extreme next time after i take a break from it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by cloud baka; Jun 30, 2008 at 08:07 PM.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2008, 08:20 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2008, 07:20 PM #1509 of 1533
But hey it beats spending 80% of a game on some offshore oil facility.
Never thought I'd say this, but no. No it doesn't. The thing about Big Shell and Shadow Moses and so forth is that in order to keep you progressing in one relatively limited area, level design had to be clever and had to allow for all sorts of situations. Here, not so much. It's very much point A to point B and it alters the thinking and way you progress as such.

Quote:
Chose your poison? On The Boss Extreme and maybe Big Boss Hard as you know ammo overall is ridiculously limited to other ammo quantities than the previous difficulties. And there is also a few more weapons to unlock through certain gameplay conditions.
Yeah, it's more limited, but the only real time you'll have issues is if you're not going to use lethal weapons or focus on using things you can't buy. That's more of a gameplay choice you're making rather than how the game presents situations to you. You can either make it harder on yourself or not, but the fact that you CAN do it changes the entire way the game is played fundamentally if you're just not going to limit your own options for whatever reason (be it emblem gathering, prefered playstyle, whatnot). And it's a change I reallllllllllly don't like.

Unlockables, to me, aren't an excuse for bad gameplay decisions or design. If someone wants to go back and play it again to get it, sure. More power to them, but if the experience itself isn't worth replaying because I'm not having any fun, the unlockables seem completely useless to me.

The rest of your post is a well thought out opinion, so I can't really bash it, but there's some stuff I disagree with otherwise. I've just been completely let down by this game is every single way possible, and I wasn't even expecting all that much. It's just more than a little annoying. There's just so much fundamentally wrong with it from several directions that I do not understand it's overwhelming praise.

cloud baka
la li lu le lo

Member 30272

Level 7.02

May 2008

Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:16 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2008, 06:16 PM #1510 of 1533
I was just mostly making conversation, i didn't want to seem like i was coming off to defend it in its entirely or bash what you had to say cause you have good valid points. For the sake of me being redundant though, i agree mostly with what you brought up, the linear gameplay didn't leave much to exploring except probably the first time through. When you play it again and again you can go straight from one are to another with ease. The loading and cutscenes, although they were good, there were some parts it slowed gameplay and pretty much in some situations the mood we were in.

Also the gun variety, there is so many pistols and assault rifles.. don't think many would try them all out if there is one you can pretty much customize to do everything even double as a shotgun for short range encounters or a grenade launcher. The only time i think i was forced to try out a newer gun was my first play through i ran out of bullets with my M4 Custom with Raging Raven. I didn't think to buy more at Drebin's cause i wanted to save up points and i switched to another that held like 200-300 rounds at a time so i wouldn't be re-loading regularly. But overall i still loved the game, just thought i'd bring up some alternative points.

Anyways, i came across some Japanese site through Kotaku, i wish i could read it.. and saw some weird pictures mostly this one:

and.. gonna spoiler it just for the sake of it possibly being a spoiler - it's of Laughing Beauty:
Spoiler:

WTF.. i dunno how or where that Sunny and Naomi picture was taken. Here's the site if anyone is interested Hatimaki Blog - MGS4, it's got some more Laughing Beauty and other weird images as well as a video of even more. Just thought it was a weird thing to share.

Oh yeah don't know if anyone noticed but during Act 4.. (nothing spoiled story wise)
Spoiler:
I never really done this before but just before going into the lower ventilation shaft in Shadow Moses in the beginning i somehow moved the camera to over the top and Snake went on a trip about it saying "Over-the-top view, yeah, just like old times. Over the top." and was awarded Drebin Points like flashbacks, i never seen this recorded so its new to me.

EDIT: Oh yeah another thing i forgot to add to the top of the post. Is it me or does it look like Mei Ling has man hands? LOL i like Mei Ling, she's cute she just seemed to have had abnormally large hands for a lady. Gotta see the ending to see what i mean.

Last edited by cloud baka; Jul 1, 2008 at 06:34 AM.
Strife
I'm your new travel agent

Member 24747

Level 9.89

Sep 2007

Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:26 PM #1511 of 1533
I would have to say that even though this game is very movie-like just like MGS2, I think the the gameplay is very good, and the story finishes solid snake's narrative solidly. I enjoyed the new characters and the cutscenes are very well done, plus the music is as great as it's always been. The small sounds like bullets whizzing by and ambient noise is amazing. It really should be played with a 5.1 sound system.

Just my 2 cents I guess.

FELIPE NO
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:40 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2008, 04:40 PM #1512 of 1533
I can sorta see where Skills are going.
Looking only at the gameplay, MGS4 is somewhat shallow. I had great use of the OctoCam, but the Solid Eye was almost solely used for the nifty overhead map. I only found use for NV at two occations. One where the game almost asks you to use it, and the other one in the beginning and middle of Act 4.

However, I found MGS4 to be a very rewarding experience because of the combination of the story and the gameplay. As a whole, I was entertained from start to finish.

Most amazing jew boots

Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2008, 01:45 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2008, 08:45 PM #1513 of 1533
Just finished act 4. The bosses were easy though:

Spoiler:
Crying Wolf - I just waited under the tank and kept shooting with a sniper rifle at it when it was close. Took a while, but it was all too easy.
Vamp - It was a bit of a trick to find out how to do proper CQC (since I never use that), but especially with the tranquillizer-gun and well-aimed shots at his head could take him out very fast.
RAY - C'mon, all I had to do it shoot the damn thing.

cloud baka
la li lu le lo

Member 30272

Level 7.02

May 2008

Old Jul 1, 2008, 08:33 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2008, 05:33 PM #1514 of 1533
Just finished act 4. The bosses were easy though:

Spoiler:
Crying Wolf - I just waited under the tank and kept shooting with a sniper rifle at it when it was close. Took a while, but it was all too easy.
Vamp - It was a bit of a trick to find out how to do proper CQC (since I never use that), but especially with the tranquillizer-gun and well-aimed shots at his head could take him out very fast.
RAY - C'mon, all I had to do it shoot the damn thing.
That's what i did for the "no alert" play through takes a bit of a time waiting but eventually you get the shots. The bosses are though ridiculously easy i sorta wished they were a bit harder, however first time through i struggled maybe. but afterwards once you know what you're doing can zip through them like nothing.

About the end of Act 4:
Spoiler:
Aww if all you did was shoot you're missing out on a few tricks. My first time playing i didn't realize i could've switched out to AT missiles and the Laser gun. They seem to have a different animation when you get in close to RAY for the Triangle attack such as jumping on him and while jumping off lasers go wild on him. There is another that ends up spreading lots of missiles on him as well. And if you're close to a building you ram RAY up against the side. Easy enough, but thats the kind of fights i've been waiting for in the Metal Gear serie, probably my favorite fight in the entire game. Very rewarding.

How ya doing, buddy?
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2008, 02:39 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2008, 09:39 PM #1515 of 1533
Now I finished the game. Can't wait to read back all the spoilers I've been avoiding. I got four medals - hyena, pig, cow and puma.

Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2008, 07:03 PM #1516 of 1533
omg nobody ever talks about the "extra" Feature in mgs. Probably because there were only lame camo's and songs to download but now something more interesting has popped up.
Spoiler:
Laughing camo which will increase the laughter of the soldiers that spot you, and raging camo, you get the point. I guess we can expect Crying and Screaming Camo's in the near future.

And also Hind D music from MGS1.
Not sure if this has any sort of effect

Downloading them now.
Well good to see that they just didn't abandon the downloads for the game. I demand liquid camo =0

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

New Record!

Last edited by Shenlon; Jul 3, 2008 at 07:06 PM.
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2008, 02:31 AM Local time: Jul 5, 2008, 01:31 AM #1517 of 1533
I just finished my no kill, no alert, speed run this past weekend (beat it in ~4 hours and 50 minutes, skipped the cut scenes). Granted it was on easy mode, but it did the job of getting me the stealth camo and bandana (+ a handful of other rankings). A tip for Act 3, wear face camo using a face other than Snake's own, it's as good a stealth camo. Heh, and I finally found some Akina poster's, Snake exclaims "Akina!" or "It's Akina!" when he sees them. Also something nifty I found, try the pressing triangle button for the chase sequence in Act 3, as well as the last boss fights in Act 4 and Act 5.

It's Akina!
Spoiler:

Regarding the database, anyone notice how on there they claim Big Boss' first name is John. That's gotta be a mistake right? As he was always refered to as Jack in MGS3, and I was under the assumption that John (Doe) was just a bogus name he gave to Ocelot when he asked BB for his name.

WTF.. i dunno how or where that Sunny and Naomi picture was taken. Here's the site if anyone is interested Hatimaki Blog - MGS4, it's got some more Laughing Beauty and other weird images as well as a video of even more. Just thought it was a weird thing to share.
Haha, yea apparently you get those bonus pictures if you picked up the camera during Act 4's briefing. Heh, I lucked out by not really fiddling with the Mk II during briefings till the Act 4's, which was when I happend to find the Digital Camera. I didn't even realize there was a condition that had to be met till I read about it.

omg nobody ever talks about the "extra" Feature in mgs. Probably because there were only lame camo's and songs to download but now something more interesting has popped up.
Spoiler:
Laughing camo which will increase the laughter of the soldiers that spot you, and raging camo, you get the point. I guess we can expect Crying and Screaming Camo's in the near future.

And also Hind D music from MGS1.
Not sure if this has any sort of effect

Downloading them now.
Well good to see that they just didn't abandon the downloads for the game. I demand liquid camo =0
Yea, they've actually been updating the Extra's content every Thursday. Heh, I really hope they get around to releasing more face camos too. Or maybe even more alternate costumes (even though the menu says for Octocamo) Eg. MGS1 and MGS2 sneaking suits.

Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2008, 03:50 AM #1518 of 1533
the thing about the extra download for camo's is that it seems to be just different textures for the octocamo kinda like for MGS3 (santa outfit =0), and not any new materials like loose clothing which is something I'm hoping for. Like you said, it would be fun to have the mgs and mgs2 sneaking suits to go along with the young snake face camo. I really don't see this happening until the re-release the game much later. Really hoping they put the Downloaded content to full use though otherwise whats the point.

I actually got the stealth camo and assassins creed outfit along with a few other things on my second play. I'm on my third play and trying to go for the big boss emblem which takes a lot of trial and error. I'm on act 2 with nearly an hour. . . it actually took me longer than that but I exit and re-load ~_~

New Record!
cloud baka
la li lu le lo

Member 30272

Level 7.02

May 2008

Old Jul 5, 2008, 11:46 AM Local time: Jul 5, 2008, 08:46 AM #1519 of 1533
Heh, and I finally found some Akina poster's, Snake exclaims "Akina!" or "It's Akina!" when he sees them.
I never saw the ones in Act 3 till my last play through when the resistance member took another route. We ended up going the through park and there is a statue part where you can pose really quick and he ends up coming back to "relieve" himself in front of you. After that we came across a couple guards.. he back trailed and yelled "hey look at this!" tossed a grenade and ran making all guards go into caution, i got pissed at him. But after that all cleared i met up with him starring at her picture. I read about it but something i always forgot to actually do, haven't seen the other she is laying down it's under one of those bridges with the waterway and the helicopter going around right?
Quote:
Regarding the database, anyone notice how on there they claim Big Boss' first name is John. That's gotta be a mistake right? As he was always refered to as Jack in MGS3, and I was under the assumption that John (Doe) was just a bogus name he gave to Ocelot when he asked BB for his name.
I just recently played through the first parts of MGS3 couple weeks ago and he did refer to himself as John or John Doe, i couldn't remember about Jack. So i looked it up and he does go by both names, just those closer to him i guess wants to call him Jack. Here's the link about him Metal Gear Wiki - Big Boss, like always its cluttered with spoilers so look at your own risk. He went by a few other names too. It's funny how the main characters like Solid Snake and Raiden, including Big Boss have very common run of the mill names.

Quote:
Haha, yea apparently you get those bonus pictures if you picked up the camera during Act 4's briefing.
Damn wish i wasn't so thorough lol that picture is hilarious given the situation and those two.

Oh yeah, about Assassin play through if you're going for the emblem which also leads to Altair costume. Just for the record if anyone missed out on the chance to get Knife counts or CQC the first 2 Acts where they're easier. In Act 5 you could seclude yourself to an area with just one Haven Trooper and keep doing a knife stun or CQC grab and then wake them up and redo it again, it'll count. I did this because i use to do CQC and then Knife Stun them thinking it counted but it didn't, only the CQC counted. So just FYI.

The camo sounds interesting i'll have to get them next time i played. I took a break from playing it awhile cause i was going to try and attempt the Big Boss Emblem. I'm kind of hesitant but i'm gonna try, only real hard part i played on Solid Normal without using a recovery item and non-lethal was the Act 3 chase sequence, it's like they have certain enemies that only shoot at you and so you need to aim for them first. I had to re-do lots of times to figure out which ones did it, but the smoke grenades blue and green (which make them cry or scream) work well for when the chase stops at certain points and the Twin Barrel with V-Ring ammo is perfect even though reloading after every shot kinda sucks, it's easier to pin point than the Mk. II tranq even though landing a shot anywhere knocks them out. Thanks for the camo info be something nice to play with.

FELIPE NO
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2008, 01:35 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2008, 08:35 PM #1520 of 1533
Well, doesn't Johnny's grandfather say something about Jack is short for John, or something like that? Jack's his, well, pet name or something.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

espressivo
Chocobo

Member 1378

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2008, 07:02 PM #1521 of 1533
for those who've played through the game with no kills:

Spoiler:
how do you beat screaming mantis? when i played through the game the first time, i noticed that both the health and stamina bar decrease when you shake the controller. does this count as a kill? and also, when you fight the BBs in their armored form, does using lethal weapons count as a kill even though they don't really die? and another, does destroying those metal ball things and the geckos count as kills?

I just want to make sure before I start a no kill, no alert game.

DarthSavior
PUT YA GUNS ON

Member 188

Level 12.90

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2008, 07:16 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2008, 02:16 PM #1522 of 1533

Spoiler:
how do you beat screaming mantis? when i played through the game the first time, i noticed that both the health and stamina bar decrease when you shake the controller. does this count as a kill? and also, when you fight the BBs in their armored form, does using lethal weapons count as a kill even though they don't really die? and another, does destroying those metal ball things and the geckos count as kills?

It does not count as a kill. On my first playthrough I beat her with that method and still got the item you get for killing a Beast via non-lethal means.

(for people who went through a "no-kill" run) I played through Act 2 on Hard and the part where

Spoiler:
Where you're on Drebin's vehicle with the machine gun and you're fighting off the Gekkos/soldiers, it pisses me off when the soldiers climb right in front of you when you're pummeling the Gekkos with the machine gun, giving you a kill. How do you people prevent yourself from accidentally killing soldiers who try to climb up in your machine gun's line of fire?

Oh, and those photo sessions with the beauties are hawt.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by DarthSavior; Jul 5, 2008 at 07:18 PM.
cloud baka
la li lu le lo

Member 30272

Level 7.02

May 2008

Old Jul 6, 2008, 02:06 AM Local time: Jul 5, 2008, 11:06 PM #1523 of 1533

Spoiler:

What DarthSavior said.
It does not count as a kill. On my first playthrough I beat her with that method and still got the item you get for killing a Beast via non-lethal means.
IF you use lethal weapons resulting in emptying their life bar while in armored, yes it counts. You still need to use non-lethal if you're doing the whole game that way, Screaming Mantis is the only exception like he said. If it's your first play through only way you can tell is by collecting their trophy during the Beauty phase, so make sure to pick them up along the way if you're doing non-lethal. Good thing is, if you did collect one or more, you only have to collect the one you didn't get from previous playthrough.

As the metal balls and Gekkos, no they don't count, anything unmanned like the Strykers(sp?) tanks, flying machines, and so forth are fine. Except those guys in the armor suits only in Act 2 during the getaway part. Chaff grenades don't work on them at all like the strategy guide suggests, if you have the Solar Gun fully charged shots at them work though.

Quote:
(for people who went through a "no-kill" run) I played through Act 2 on Hard and the part where

Spoiler:
Where you're on Drebin's vehicle with the machine gun and you're fighting off the Gekkos/soldiers, it pisses me off when the soldiers climb right in front of you when you're pummeling the Gekkos with the machine gun, giving you a kill. How do you people prevent yourself from accidentally killing soldiers who try to climb up in your machine gun's line of fire?
I guess just be more conservative shooting like aim at the Gekko's head/neck area and be choosy about when to shoot. Could take out 3-4 Gekko then get off the gun CQC the PMCs that climb up. I think thats where i mistakenly got my only one and had to replay the chapter after Laughing Octopus over again so it wouldn't be there. Best advice i could give.

Last edited by cloud baka; Jul 6, 2008 at 02:08 AM.
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2008, 04:47 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2008, 11:47 PM #1524 of 1533
swedish dude finished it, 3 hours and 31 min.

:lol:

no homo
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2008, 05:25 PM #1525 of 1533
thats nothing, some dude finished it in 2 hours and 40 minutes or around that time. He posted the whole thing on youtube which I'm using as a guide so that I get get that emblem and its actually useful. Guys name on youtube is Tyndis.

New Record!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What To Eat? PROTIP: THIS IS THE MGS4 THREAD