Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Part of Laptop LCD screen fades; screen malfunction?

Room
Wark!

Member 12411

Level 7.77

Sep 2006

Old Oct 16, 2008, 05:13 PM #1 of 2
Part of Laptop LCD screen fades; screen malfunction?

I opened my laptop today to discover the left ~3 inches of my laptop lcd screen significantly less lit than normal. It's dark, and gradually fades to normal brightness. It's very noticeable; the rest of the screen looks great.

Before I decide to purchase a new LCD and replace it myself (I'm told it's easy), I want to check with y'all experts if this is indeed a screen malfunction (backlight burnt out or w/e) that can be remedied w/ a replacement.

Thanks in advance.

Tech specs:
Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505
Screen = 15.4" Widescreen XGA display

Roughly 1 1/2 years old, out-of-warranty

edit: this is w/ the power supply plugged in, already tested rebooting, changing screen res, the standard w/ no go.

edit2: upon a restart, the fade has now spread to half the screen. quite amazing. if the screen becomes homogeneously darker it'll at least be easier on my eyes...

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Room; Oct 16, 2008 at 05:35 PM.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2008, 01:15 AM Local time: Oct 17, 2008, 02:15 PM #2 of 2
Dimming is basically a symptom of LCD screen death, yes. It's not easy. What may be easy for a desktop LCD, is definitely not trivial for a laptop. If you got the engineering skills, excellent. If not, then you're gonna have to get it repaired. Sometimes the price is so expensive, you're better off buying a monitor (to use as your primary screen) or another laptop...

But anyway, if you feel you're up to it, here's the link to some useful websites:
  1. Laptop Repair Guide - Replacing Backlight, step-by-step guide with photos
  2. Dell Service Manual for your laptop model

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]

Last edited by Zergrinch; Oct 17, 2008 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Didn't notice your computer as a LAPtop

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Part of Laptop LCD screen fades; screen malfunction?