Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[:plant:] The Gamingforce Disappointment of the Year 2012: A New Skills Bitchfest - voting

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:09 PM Local time: Dec 31, 2012, 07:09 PM 1 #1 of 28
The Gamingforce Disappointment of the Year 2012: A New Skills Bitchfest - voting

The Gamingforce Disappointment of the Year is here once again... wait, no it's not! This is something a little new for 2012/2013 - we're going to tackle the question of what was the most disappointing game of the year for Gamingforce. This doesn't necessarily mean the worst game of the year as I imagine most of us are sensible enough to steer clear of the real stinkers, but we can't help but get our hopes up only to have them dashed by a disappointing experience. Now it might be you just played a bad game despite your better judgement and you feel that needs shaming so you can slap some points on it here too.

So just as with the Game of the Year thread here's how the voting is going to work: each person has 100 points to vote for games released in 2012 (doesn't matter where, but games have to have been commercially released in 2012) and you can allocate them to as many games as you like as long as it totals 100 or less in the end. The only rule is that you can't award any single game more than 40 points. So you could vote two 40s and a 20, or a 40 and six 10s, or any other combination of points as long as it adds up to 100 (or less).

To vote all you have to do is post a reply with your top games of 2012, how many points you're giving each, and a brief explanation of why you feel the game deserves your points.

Example:

GAME A - 40 points
Man game A let me down so bad because...

GAME B - 20 points
I ended up disappointed with game B because...

GAME C - 15 points
Game C gets some points because...

GAME D - 15 points
I couldn't decide between this and C, so gave both points, but D is rubbish because...

GAME E - 5 points
Bad, but not necessarily terrible, but I figure E deserves some points because...

GAME F - 5 points
Like E, F gets a few points because...

--------

Voting will close on Saturday 12th January at 18:00 GMT (that's Englandland time), at which point I'll add all the points together and work out GFF's top 20 disappointing games of 2012, posting the results in a new thread for discussion/people to complain about.

Get voting.

Disclaimer/Rules:
1. If you allocate any game more than 40 points your vote won't be counted.
2. If your points allocation totals more than 100 points your vote won't be counted (totals less than 100 are fine).
3. Votes for games not released in 2012 will be ignored.
4. Only official commercial releases in 2012 count.
5. No negative points. I'll point and laugh and then ignore your vote.
6. Whole integers only. Fractions and decimal places will also lead me to ignore your vote.
7. Any other such idiocy will also probably lead your vote not being counted.

And as ever, I take no responsibility for Skills fucking with stuff, which if you ignore these points he almost certainly will do somehow.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:41 PM Local time: Dec 31, 2012, 01:41 PM 6 #2 of 28
You know what sucked when it shouldn't have?

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (40 points)

"Oh, it's just like Burnout", you say?

nope.jpg

Things Burnout did not have:
- Inaccurate, tank like handling
- Pointless SP campaign that had an inverted progression structure, making the more you play in a particular car the less useful it actually became.
- Autolog that constantly didn't work, disconnecting you, deleting progress you've made, or otherwise not registering the things you were doing around on the map.
- Horrible, idiot cops that are like some sort of eagle eye'd retards. Can see you despite the fact that you're in a building, on the third floor, half a mile from the nearest cruiser? Don't matter none, they're psychic. And since there's no reward or penalty for dealing with them, just get busted and save yourself the time.
- Car movement that didn't automatically crash you when rotated more than 90 degrees in the air. Can't have those licensed cars be upside down now, that's bad.
- Races and situations where you lost not because you fucked up, but because the game just said "nah" and decided to fuck you in the nose with a horse's dick.
- The slow burning realization that the more you play this the more you notice how bad it is.

Things Burnout had that MW doesn't:
- Stunts.
- Multiplayer with a point.
- Car damage model.
- 60 frames per second
- No fucking terrible lighting engine
- The soundtrack had at least two good pieces of music.
- An interesting city to get around in.
- Billboards, jumps, and gates that were in interesting to reach locations.
- A FUN FACTOR

Real talk. I make fun of Tritoch on a daily basis. I tell him how terrible he is. I have given him mountains of shit.

I paid for his copy of this for Christmas right before it came out.

This is honestly the biggest insult I have ever given him and it makes me feel legit awful.

Mass Effect 3 (20 points)

You're chuggin' along for a while, and while the game sort of shits on a handful of otherwise excellent characters, the early parts look good. Sound good. Make a bit of sense.

Then BAMPH

EDI is now a cylon with some serious vagina goin' on.

Also this:

Deus ex machina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also none of your choices mattered at all.

Not even counting the cheap, universe shitting technicolour endings, the whole back half of "build the magic space cannon" and the whole fill this bar to have enough space resources that also don't matter for a fuck, you've still got something that's bland as hell.

If you just stop and think about the design philosophy behind it for a moment. At no point during any gameplay segments outside of two specific areas, can you holster your weapon. You are always pointing it out. Ready to fucking shoot some shit. Always. See a space problem? Shoot it with a space gun. That's the fix. There's no subtlety. There's no nuance. The other games had this, to some extent. Here you've got some soulless, "get it out for the quarter's bottom line or you're fired" design where the original vision is completely lost. It's dumbed down and stretched thin. So many contrivances for no reason. It's practically insulting.

Saved by the tacked-on bullshit MP that is actually fun as hell for some reason. They lucked into that and it saves the whole deal. Also why it's not getting 40 points.

-----

EDIT OH YEAH

Here's one

Code of Princess (40 points)

Seriously what the fuck. How can this come from such pedigree, and be sooooooooooooo shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Single digit frame rate? yup
Everyone has cheap bullshit Infinites? yup
Your progress is entirely dependent on your gear? yup
You will be forced to grind because you will run out of time infinitely juggling metal spiders? fucking giga-yup
Worst, least amusing, largest try-hard dialog this side of Pony fan-fiction? mayupudyne

Holy shit, the thing is terrible. Self referential to a fault, the game tries to make you smirk by constantly drawing attention to how big Solange's tits are because every character mentions it. Even the one who refers to himself as a "level 99 sage". It's like a CAD comic having sex with a GOTTA GO FAST jpg

And be ready to play the same fucking stages a million times with slightly different enemy layouts when you run into a dude who just will take 2 HP damage of his 1500 HP per strike. So go grind. Juggle assholes in the corner with your auto infinites. That's fun. Burst accomplishes nothing of value. You will just run out of time otherwise.

All stat based. Don't bother with the other shit.

Also if you've got more than two sprites on screen the game runs so slowly that you can actually initiate a combo, go take a vacation to mexico, and then come back before you have to buffer the next half of the inputs.

Vomit inducing.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:30 PM Local time: Dec 31, 2012, 08:30 PM #3 of 28
Assassin's Creed III - 40 points
I love the Assassin's Creed series I really do. I loved the first despite how flawed it was, absolutely adored 2 and Brotherhood, and even Revelations which was feeling somewhat tired and churned-out (and amusingly featured no revelations what-so-ever) I still enjoyed. So I was pretty excited about Assassin's Creed III.

I can't say the American Revolution particularly excited me, that was clearly there more for the US audience, but some of what they were talking about doing sounded really cool. Sadly the final product is a boring mess of a game that fails to push the formula in any interesting directions, fails to address fundamental issues that have existed since AC1, ditches some core mechanics (like, say, stealth) and manages to swap the ever charming Ezio for a plank of wood; a miserable, whiney plank of wood at that.

I did have some fun with AC:III but it was just me dicking about with fun ways to kill guards. Nearly every bit of scripted action was dull or frustrating, or a glorious combination of both. And I've not even touched on the Desmond stuff... ho boy. To go into all the issues I have with the game would see this spiral into a multi-page rant so I'll just say that the more I played the game the more I just wanted it to be over. I've gone from someone who loved the series and would buy any game without question to not giving a crap about the series. It is that poor. Without a doubt my biggest disappointment of 2012.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012) - 30 points
Oh Criterion what did you do? This seemed like such an obvious highlight of the year - cross Burnout Paradise with the cops and street race trappings of Need for Speed. Sadly what happened is they crossed Burnout Paradise with the soulless money-grabbing mentality of EA resulting in a hollow shell of a game.

Almost none of the design decisions that goes into this game make a great deal of sense in reality and lend to frustrating or stupid experiences. Skills already touched on it, but for each of the 41 cars (which is somewhat slim pickings when you're talking about real cars) there are only 5 events. Each event unlocks items for the car in question to make it better and more capable at competing in the later, harder events. But once you've done all 5 events and unlocked everything there's no reason to keep using the car, that car is now useless and can't get you any further really.

The campaign is also a pretty shallow affair with 10 Most Wanted cars to challenge and take down. But this isn't like the Most Wanted of 2005, there's no personality or story to these cars they are just white cars that you race against. Unlocking them requires hitting various point thresholds and near enough everything you do in the game will get you some points. In fact they're thrown at you so fast that without really trying you'll unlock the majority of Most Wanted cars to challenge. And that's it, done.

Again this is a game I could easily get into a mass rant about. Ultimately not the worst of games but this should have been just so much better. Massively disappointing.

Mass Effect 3 - 15 points
Mass Effect 3 is by no means a terrible games, there's still a decent amount of the core experience on show throughout the game and the gunplay is perhaps at its strongest in the series. However what truly makes the Mass Effect great is the universe they created, the depth of the world, the characters and then all the choices you get to make within that world and seeing how they play out.

Sadly by virtue of narrative drive you're never really afforded the time to stop and just take in the world. This is understandable given where the story is and where it needs to get to, but still it's a shame to feel somewhat rushed through things and not have the chance to do much on the sides.

Then there's that ending. Now I didn't agree with all the bitching going on on the Internet, the calls for changes and what-not. I don't think they should have released new endings, but they should have done something better first time. At the very least they should have managed expectations a lot better. The biggest failing of the ending for me was it seemingly ignored a lot of what Mass Effect came to represent. Sure I was given one final choice, but for the majority of the end sequence you're forced to just listen and hit a button to continue every now and again. For a game so full of interaction and choice suddenly I had none.

There's many other little niggles and issues I could talk about, but ultimately the lasting feeling I have toward the game is disappointment, and so it earns a place on this list.

Diablo III - 10 points
I had never played a Diablo game before. As has probably been covered a number of times I wasn't ever much of a PC gamer and so Diablo was a series that had passed me by. But there was a lot of buzz for Diablo III, I like loot games, and plus some local friends who had it were encouraging me to nab it so we could play co-op. That was good enough for me and so I purchased Diablo III. Then I began the metagame of actually connecting the servers.

The game itself was fine and I enjoyed chunks of it, but there was nothing that grabbed me sufficiently to keep me coming back time and time again outside of finishing the campaign with friends. The story takes itself way too seriously for how goofy it is and nothing about the setting was particularly exciting. Given all I'd heard and expected about the addictive gameplay of Diablo, well it wasn't happening for me.

Then throw on top the money-grabbing nature of the auction house, the frustrating mess of always-connected gameplay (hooray for solo play lag), divided player servers (no playing with US peeps for me) and the countless, countless errors just trying to connect. Once I was done with the campaign that was me done, which given how bloody pricey it was left me thinking it was probably a mistake in the long run.

FEZ - 5 points
Ah FEZ. Yes this is on my game of the year list because it really can be a wonderful game. But it's also entirely frustrating at times for some of the reasons I laid out in the GotY thread. The game is very quick to nudge and wink at you when something on the screen is part of a sneaky puzzle but you never actually know if you have the tools to decipher it, so you can be left feeling stupid that you can't figure it out until hours later when you stumble upon the key elsewhere in the game world.

There's a lot of love and attention in the game, but it is a little aware of how clever and referential it is being which does give it a bit of a smug tone at times. Plus Phil Fish's attitude is not a particular gamer friendly one. Dear Phil: regardless of whether or not you are some downtrodden indie dev if you release a broken game you fix it, simple as.

By no means a bad game, but this could have been an absolute corker and isn't, which is disappointing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:32 PM #4 of 28
Disclaimer: I don't play shit games. I'll be like skills and say that just by the general consensus that these games are going to SUCK.

RE6 - 40pts LOL WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED HERE. XD This is NOT a game. NO SIR. Its an unholy mess developed by a 600 manned money scheme. The best part? The camera angle! They patched it immediately and makes you wonder why or WHO the fuck would even change it afterwards.

Silent Hill Downpour - 10pts MEH. Its just ugly. UGLY UGLY UGLY and gutwrenching to play. I tried to play it for more than 5 hours... and just turn it back because its so MEH. Silent Hill still have issues getting the combat down right, the theme is still missing and they just had to throw in the whole flipped room scenario like the game can appear insane... instead of this sombering hell landscape I've missed from the ps1 era.

Silent Hill HD Collection - 40pts. I'll just leave this video to explain just HOW... miserably royally and up in the ass of all time fucked up this is.

YouTube Video

Burnout Crash - 4pts Massive disappointment galore. Its NOT our favorite burnout, nope.

Fez - 3pts BROKEN like a beaten dead horse.

Prototype 2 - 3pts That stupid beefycake protagonist. No thanks. My preferred protagonist being the villan? Awesome. Plot though? MEHHH. Nope.

Honorable mention -

PSP port of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment that never came. What the fuck. WHAT TEH FUCK!!!!

Whew. I had to look at THIS list to remember what games I've passed over due to the massive amount of disappointment in it. It can help you guys too if you're forgetting something.

Most amazing jew boots
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:21 AM Local time: Jan 1, 2013, 04:21 AM #5 of 28
There's no subtlety. There's no nuance.

Tales of Graces ƒ - 40 points
Real disappointment of the year 2012. Was so exciting to hear about, right? The first new Tales game to come to the US since the excellent Tales of Vesperia, an enhanced port of the well-received Tales of Graces. Should be another great time, right?

Wrong.

Nevermind the fact that Asbel isn't Yuri, murdering people left and right. Nevermind that the first three hours are an agonizing limp through the collective childhood of every horrible JRPG protagonist. Nevermind that those first three hours you don't have access to the full battle system.

It's that

for the entirety of the game

no one can fucking tell

THAT RICHARD IS POSSESSED JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Final Fantasy Phoneteen; Jan 1, 2013 at 06:29 AM.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:36 AM Local time: Jan 1, 2013, 01:36 PM #6 of 28
Max Payne 3 and Mass Effect 3.

Neither is a bad game by any stretch, but they are, in a word, disappointing. I absolutely love the first two games from either series, so a third chapter was something to look forward to.

Due some really bizarre design choices and oddities, Max Payne 3 fails to feel like a great Max Payne game, but also ends up a fairly unsatisfying and often times frustrating cover-based shooter you simply can't play like a Max Payne game. The graphics veer from completely astounding attention to detail and advanced animation, to some very lazy and unfinished things here and there. The writing and cutscenes can be GTA4 standard one moment and very repetitive "oh no they got away again" the next. You'll struggle to actually have fun with the combat. You'd love to try and play it like a max payne game, but max will put away his gun (and aiming reticule) after about 5 seconds of not aiming with the new over the shoulder zoom button. You'd like to not be forced to crouch behind cover constantly, but if you don't press the go-to-cover button, enemies will literally shoot you through walls, as well as have incredible aiming accuracy and inhuman reflexes. Ultimately it's a fairly engaging narrative and a character study, hidden inside a fairly frustrating third-person cover shooter.

Mass Effect 3 has some great moments, but ultimately it is not what I want from Mass Effect. ME2 already gimped a lot of the things I loved about the first game, and the shooting is even more streamlined and emphasized than before. Skills said it well, you can't even holster your weapon, so the game plays like a straight up action game. As third person shooter, it's fairly good, but it's so much less engaging an experience because of it.

The less said about the ending the better. I don't consider myself entitled when I feel the ending failed to end such a long saga in a satisfying manner. It was not mysterious or open to interpretation, it was badly written and poorly judged. It made me want to not replay the previous games again because I know what's coming up.

I feel Bioware made a mistake making the Reapers attack at the start of the game. The whole game should have been about preventing the reapers from ever appearing in the first place. This would have left better room for world exploration and discovery like in the first two games.

Again, in no way a terrible game, but very disappointing, cause you can easily see how much better it could have been.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Jan 1, 2013 at 06:39 AM.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:14 PM Local time: Jan 2, 2013, 02:14 PM 3 #7 of 28
Need for Speed Most Wanted, 40 disappoints - Others have elaborated, so there isn't much for me to add about why this was so terrible. My first thought with this game was "Burnout Paradise with licensed cars? Sign me up." Then after playing it and discovering how badly EA'd this game had gotten, it just made me sad. The spiritual sequel to a great game, two years later, should not be markedly worse in virtually every respect than its predecessor, period. It was like EA went to Criterion in February and told them to have the game on the shelves in October.

Diablo 3, 40 disappoints - I played Diablo II to death, okay. I wore it out. I knew that Diablo 3 wasn't going to be the same, wouldn't be as good. I knew that. A lot of the important developers were no longer at Blizzard. Hey, it happens. What I didn't expect was a game that felt hardly anything like a Diablo title. The core of the game, the looting, was a joke, with the only things that mattered on gear being damage totals, primary stats, and critical rate/dmg. Go look at some of the top tiered Diablo 2 equipment and compare them to any of the "good" Diablo 3 equipment. The polished visuals couldn't have found the trademark Diablo grit with a microscope. The story was melodramatic garbage that seemed to have mostly forgotten the events of Diablo 2. The Diablo 3 that we got seemed like it was developed by people who resented the success of Diablo 2. Nowhere is this more evident than them needlessly killing, in the first act, the character, and voice, most associated with the first two games. The only reason they killed Decard Cain was to appease Jay Wilson's massive hate-on for the success of Diablo 2. It makes no sense.

Mass Effect 3, 15 disappoints - Here are the 15 points that Mass Effect 3 left on the table in the "Best game of 2012" contest. It had no business getting less than 40 points there, and yet, terrible ending, awful MacGuffin, and Kai Leng (Kai Leng wasn't very interesting in the book, why is he in the game too?) hurt its cause. I would have liked a little more to the story beyond wrapping up loose ends from the previous two games, plus chasing a pretty awful MacGuffin introduced as delicately as a freight train. Look, I understand that a lot of the design decisions in the first two games, Mass Effect 2 especially, painted them into a corner when it came to design decisions here, but just because a character could possibly die in a previous game doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to recruit them here. Let me roll with Wrex, and if my imported save flags him as dead, either give me a placeholder Krogan, or no character at all. Also, sometimes I might want to bring a character with me just because I like the character, not because they fill a specific combat role (hey, this character can use Overload, gotta bring her, or this character can team with my biotic Shep to cause biotic explosions, gotta bring her). The characters they give you basically just do that, fill combat roles. I'm glad you let me recruit Garrus and Tali, but you could do better. What was their excuse for not letting me have my Wrexes and Mirandas? "We didn't want to record that much dialog"? Do better. You can virtually only get the best ending if you also play various Mass Effect related things outside of the single player campaign. I suppose they can't be faulted for that, since the difference between the "best" ending and any other ending is like the difference between getting the regular flu and swine flu. Either way, you're not going to be very happy.

NCAA Football 13, 5 disappoints - No one cares about this game but me, and that's ok. Each July, I get the newest $60 roster update. It is a guilty pleasure that I can live with. Each year, they tweak the gameplay and some of the "season" mode mechanics, generally improving the game from year to year. Why is it worth 5 disappoints? Each year, the menus get slower and slower, this year no exception. I want to play stupid football, not watch menus slide around for 5 seconds each time I want to go from one screen to the next. Also, the achievements suck.

FELIPE NO
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:17 AM Local time: Jan 3, 2013, 05:17 AM #8 of 28
Resident Evil 6 - 40 shitpiles.
"Dramatic Horror" apparently means taking Call of Duty, Gears of War, and Resident Evil 4+ stitching them together into a terrible quasi-action abomination. It doesn't even really know what the hell it's supposed to be. If Capcom needs to look at what modern survival horror is they need look no further than Demon's and Dark Souls. Just imagine an RE game running with that kind of engine and the proper story, and that's all you need to envision to know what clueless shit RE6 really was.

Diablo 3 - 30 shitpiles.
Ridiculous potential blown by making a game more "business" than game. It was and has been clear that the unpolished release put the gameplay second and the RMAH first, and the player base realized it early on. Subsequent attempts to "fix" the gameplay ended in failure, and now they've even gone and dumped organized PVP. Hope the money you got from RMAH transactions was worth ruining the staying power of the Diablo franchise Blizzard. Torchlight II thanks you.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star - 20 shitpiles.
Hype train was moving full steam ahead until I got into my first battle. Then came the glorious wreck where I discovered the cargo was mountains of assholes. An RPG battle system, where the only active selection to attack was "Magic" controlled by finite stickers. So we've come from the fantastic Thousand Year Door to the unique and quirky platforming in Super Paper Mario, to THIS? It seems like everything original but Kid Icarus and Theathrhythm on the 3DS have been grave disappointments.

WWE '13 - 10 shitpiles.
Yukes and THQuality. If you love running grapple spam, hackers online (lol 360), and endless glitches, please buy this game. Glitches can sometimes be hilarious, and the game did bring us the gold that is Bazza's VGCW stream so it isn't a total disappointment. Yukes and THQ clearly have no idea what they are doing with the WWE license, once again proven this year.

HONORABLE Other shitpiles:
- Street Fighter x Tekken and Asura's Wrath. DLCAPCPOM.
- New Super Copy Paste Bros. 2. Super Mario 3D Land at least tried.
- Code of Princess. All that needs be said was laid out earlier in the thread.
- Silent Hill HD Collection. What is this Konami I don't even
- Dark Souls PC release. Durante's mod saved this from being total shit.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:21 AM Local time: Jan 6, 2013, 10:21 PM #9 of 28
Ninja Gaiden 3 - 40 DissPoints

Ninja Gaiden has been one of my favorite action franchises since it got the 3D treatment during the first Xbox's best years with the rereleased Ninja Gaiden BLACK being one of the greatest, most tightly-controlled and hardest games ever to grace the original Xbox. Ninja Gaiden II, while not being as good as its predecessor, was a fantastic update on the new console and still remains the single most difficult game on the system. Then Tomonobu Itagaki, the series creator, bolted and the modern series became a shit-stained harmless rail shooter. I already have Panzer Dragoon Orta. BONUS POINTS: I played it on the PS3 using the PlaystationMOVE controller for added facepalming hilarity.

Need For Speed Most Wanted - 40 DissPoints

Everyone who already mentioned this already said a great deal about this. I really had high expectations coming into this game too because I loved Need For Speed Hot Pursuit and was hoping that the update would receive a similar treatment. Having said that, it turned out I already had this game. On the PS2. A Limited Edition. Where it was infinitely better. With a better soundtrack. And better everything.

I didn't play any other games released this year. I mainly spent the year playing through my backlog or buying old games I found in the bargain bin.

Most amazing jew boots
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:44 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2013, 10:44 PM #10 of 28
I didn't play enough games this year to leave any sort of meaningful comment, but I still wanted to mention I really enjoyed reading this thread. More of this, please.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:42 PM Local time: Jan 12, 2013, 02:42 AM #11 of 28
I like how Ence played three games this year.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:10 PM Local time: Jan 11, 2013, 07:10 PM #12 of 28
NEW games. Seriously. It's actually pretty sad.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:43 AM Local time: Jan 12, 2013, 05:43 PM 1 #13 of 28
I like how Ence likes Ninja Gaiden for being challenging then goes and plays Bayonetta on Easy.

I was speaking idiomatically.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:01 AM Local time: Jan 13, 2013, 12:01 PM #14 of 28
With only 7 votes I'm not even going to both collating these. Clearly this was a failed experiment, but some interesting comments anyway so have a read above.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:03 PM Local time: Jan 14, 2013, 08:03 PM #15 of 28
Like I said in someone's journal (Yours or Qwarky's I think), I really don't get why so many people expressed disappointment at how ME3 turned out.

Did any of you watch the trailers for the first ME game? The ones where you could switch between characters at will, interupt conversations and get different reactions and were promised an entire galaxy of planets to explore? Then when they actually played ME1, did anyone else think it odd that it was a one character only deal, the conversation choices were highly scripted and there were only actually 6 or so planets to explore with the rest being featureless mountain ranges with "hidden" items on them? What about buying into how your choices would affect the outcome of the story then the entire game boiling down to deciding whether or not to save the council at the end, that wasn't a let down at all? This is all before you get into the painfully badly worked combat system and the fact that the game is waaaaaay to easy on the difficulty modes available from the start and who could really be arsed to play through more than once?

Then along came ME2 and the combat system had been improved a tiny bit but at the expense of any pretence at being an rpg any more. There were still only a handful of planets to actually explore, the dialogue was sillier than ever, it was still far too easy and once again, the whole thing basically boiled down to one choice at the end and picking the right team in a puzzle akin to putting square pegs in square holes.

I've not played ME3 yet but I will because despite my comments above, I really enjoyed playing the ME games. Once I got over the disappointment of the the first game's pre-release lies, the game in itself is enjoyable and I went into the second one expecting more of the same. When I come to play ME3 I'll expect the story to be silly, the script retarded, the combat system derivative and the whole thing to be laughably easy. I'll also imagine that no matter what I do during the game, it'll certainly ask me near the end which ending I want to see. I'll accept all this because Ive played the other ones. Honestly, and I accept that this might be the case based on what some of you guys have said, ME3 would have to be complete fucking garbage to not live up to my expectations because I base my expectations on previous experiences.

Is it the fact that Shepard dies at the end that gets people so butthurt because that's just flat out gay. The main character dies in plenty of games, films, books, tv shows and so forth without people crying about it.

Most amazing jew boots
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:25 PM Local time: Jan 14, 2013, 08:25 PM #16 of 28
Is it the fact that Shepard dies at the end that gets people so butthurt because that's just flat out gay. The main character dies in plenty of games, films, books, tv shows and so forth without people crying about it.
Have you actually read what people said above about why they were disappointed with ME3? At no point did anyone mention the fact that Shepard dies being an issue.

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:39 PM #17 of 28
Of course everyone will line up to purchase Bioware's next epic saga even if ME3 had literally required you to punch yourself in the groin to get the best ending. Repeatedly. Keep punching. Collect those victory points.

Additional Spam:
Kind of want Bioware to just go in for Kojima-level player trolling at this point honestly

Last edited by The unmovable stubborn; Jan 14, 2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:02 PM Local time: Jan 14, 2013, 11:02 PM #18 of 28
Basically Shin has no idea why people disliked ME3 and he won't before he plays it himself.

Everyone enjoyed ME1 and 2 immensely, and that's exactly why ME3 is such a massive letdown of a final chapter. Not because they expect it to be this or that, but because the game and story overall fails to end the saga in a satisfying manner. As I said before, it wasn't open to interpretation or "brave" or "unusual", it was rushed and poorly judged.

Most amazing jew boots

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:35 PM Local time: Jan 14, 2013, 10:35 PM #19 of 28
I've tried to read up on why people were so upset about ME3 and nowhere does anyone seemingly come right out and say it. There's just tons of people saying it was crap but whilst I read the overview of each ending, I haven't seen the specifics.

I tend not to get too drawn into game stories anyway. Knights of the Old Republic 2 remains one of my all time favourite rpgs and is probably the one I've played the most times and that doesn't even have an ending.

I should play ME3 just to see what all the wailing and gnashing of teeth was about but I was going to wait for an ultimate edition with all the dlc in it. Chances are knowing me I'll really enjoy the game and totally not see what everyone is on about but then I do have a history of liking things most people think are garbage.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:54 PM Local time: Jan 14, 2013, 05:54 PM #20 of 28
Think of it as Terminator 2 to Terminator 3.

You go from "No fate but what you make" to, in the last six minutes, "fuck that, told by fate".

Everything they ever tried to present as an idea or concept in Mass Effect is torpedo'd by three. Not just the ending, either. I mean ANYTHING. Think about whatever defines the series for you and it's undoubtedly shat upon by three in some capacity.

It was a hackneyed shithouse of a conclusion that's an insult to the player. There's little redeeming to it beyond the MP, and that gets stale when you realize you paid to play an F2P title without getting any of the premium bonuses for it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:23 PM Local time: Jan 14, 2013, 07:23 PM #21 of 28
I don't play enough games because of my OCDness lately, but there is an obvious one.

Diablo 3 (40 points) + 60 =100 points
- Basically Russ denoted why. Anyways, yes it was good on the first playthrough, even though the story was trash. The graphics were good too along with the Act 1 cinematic. However, just the first playthough does not cut it for a Diablo game. Auction = trash, items drops = debable, items = crap, skills = fun at first, then you realize that they are basically just neat effects without any real choice involved. They actually took out a ton of stuff that worked in D2 instead of expanding upon it. That equals an inferior game. The designer's idiotic statements after the game was launched essentially confirmed to everybody that he didnt care what anyone else thought or wanted, or that he knew what he was doing with the franchise. The Diablo franchise creator even bashed the game and then the D3 director preceeded to continue to talk trash and nonsense.

I loved Mass Effect III even with the ending debable. Then again, I didn't see the original ending by itself. I played it after they already had the DLC.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Grundlefield Earth; Jan 14, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:15 PM #22 of 28
Assassin's Creed 3 - 40 points

It may sound stupid, but I'd rather play a soccer game than Assassin's Creed 3. I'd rather play a sports game than AC3. Doesn't that sound stupid? Assassin's Creed 3 was a major disappointment simply because it is so inferior to AC2. AC2 was a smooth building-jumping ride through perfectly designed cities with a fairly interesting story that made me want to keep going. I think it's one of the best games of all time. AC3 was horseshit throughout downtown Boston (a hellhole to get around in these days) with a protagonist so shitty the (initial) antagonist was more interesting and likeable.

AC3 isn't ALL bad, but just extremely disappointing.

(To be continued...?)

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:22 AM Local time: Jan 16, 2013, 11:22 AM #23 of 28
Think of it as Terminator 2 to Terminator 3.

You go from "No fate but what you make" to, in the last six minutes, "fuck that, told by fate".
But without the end of Terminator 3, neither of the other films make any sense because without the war and Skynet then there'd never be terminators in the first place to send back through time.

Just saying.

Anyway, ME3 is on my list of things to get once all the DLC comes bundled and I can get it for less than £20 which shouldn't be long now so I can find out for myself and you can all call me a terrible person for really enjoying it.

My biggest dissapointment of the year in terms of gaming is that there's still no news about Too Human 2 or Suikoden 6...

FELIPE NO
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:25 AM Local time: Jan 16, 2013, 07:25 AM #24 of 28
My biggest dissapointment of the year in terms of gaming is that there's still no news about Too Human 2 or Suikoden 6...
Dyack being forced to recall and destroy all unsold copies of Too Human is one of the funniest stories of the year, though.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:11 AM Local time: Jan 16, 2013, 04:11 PM #25 of 28
Hahahaha, I didn't hear about that. I know Silicon Knights were apparently hiring last year but lord only knows to what end. Probably some game we'll see in 2023.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [:plant:] The Gamingforce Disappointment of the Year 2012: A New Skills Bitchfest - voting