Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Video Games Live

Tommy Tallarico
Tommy Tallarico

Member 7546

Level 12.13

May 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 08:40 AM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 06:40 AM #76 of 524
Originally Posted by Hydelloon
Is there a date for VGL Boston?
We are trying to decide which the best venue is for the performance. We have a few different options but lots of places are already booked this year.

What do you think would be a good choice?

Tommy

Double Post:
Originally Posted by el jacko
My apologies if this has been asked already.

Just out of curiosity, excluding licensing rights, what makes you determine what game soundtracks are chosen to be performed in concert? For example, you perform music from Beyond Good & Evil, a choice that I applaud you for but cannot understand (considering the flop the game was). There are many other games that are more popular and have great music (such as Metroid Prime, a game you mention in your press release but choose not to play in concert). How do you decide what music to perform in concert (ignoring licensing issues)?

For the most part the games in our show are AAA titles or franchises... Halo, Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Warcraft, Medal Gear Solid, Kingdom Hearts, Castlevania, Myst, etc...

But we also wanted to throw in a few surprises as well. When picking a few of these "surprises" we wanted to focus on some amazing games that had incredible visuals, music, storyline, etc. They may have not sold incredibly well but TONS of people come up to us after the show and say... "Wow!! I wanna go and play that Beyond Good & Evil game now! I'm gonna go pick it up! It looks and sounds amazing!"

I love being able to shine some light on a few of the lesser known games that deserve to be loved... especially for thier music.

The reason Metroid Prime is in our press release is because I worked on the game and it is one of the titles that is listed under projects I've worked on. Although I too love Metroid Prime... I feel that the music for Beyond Good & Evil plays much better to a live audience.

Another consideration we have is that we're not really trying to just focus on hardcore gamers as our audience. We get a lot of parents, grandparents, girlfriends, non-gamers, etc. They are the ones who are most blown away by the show because they had no idea how great video game music is and has become. Our whole concept from the start was to show the WORLD how incredible video game music has become... not just the hardcore gamers who already know and appreciate how wonderful it is.

Thanks for the question.

Tommy

How ya doing, buddy?
Tommy Tallarico

President, Tommy Tallarico Studios, Inc. (www.tallarico.com)
Founder/CEO, Video Games Live (www.videogameslive.com)
Founder/CEO, Game Audio Network Guild [G.A.N.G.] (www.audiogang.org)

Facebook Personal Page
Facebook Video Games Live Page
Twitter Personal
Twitter Video Games Live
YouTube Channel Personal
YouTube Channel Video Games Live

Last edited by Tommy Tallarico; Aug 3, 2006 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Joe Wiewel
hard worker

Member 259

Level 18.63

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2006, 06:44 PM Local time: Aug 6, 2006, 06:44 PM #77 of 524
I went to Video Games Live in Chicago last night and it was a really great show!

Even though I wasn't familar with some of the music and cinematics, I enjoyed every bit of the entire presentation. It was awesome to hear live, orchestrated music to what was happening on screen!

For what I was familar with, I was blown away. The Mario & Zelda segments were amazing with their orchestrated main themes. The Beyond Good & Evil segment was great! The Sonic segment was the best of what I knew. All zone music from Sonic 1 was played, Dr. Robotnik's theme too! It was cool hearing the old 16-bit music I've known since I was a kid played in full orchestra. The chorus's "SEGA" at the start was a nice touch as well.

Having the orchestra play on the fly to people playing Space Invaders and Frogger was not only cool, but impressive!

"Meet and Greet" was also a nice part of the event. Meeting a few of the 'industry insiders' was a treat!

I have some pictures I took of costumes and the concert, but I'm on a dial-up connection that refuses to upload photos to Imageshack.us, so when I get back on a broadband for a awhile tomorrow, I'll post them.

I had a really good time and I'd like to come to another concert! It was worth the five hour drive from northwest Missouri to Chicago! I know about the one in Indianapolis on the 11th and 12th, but I'll have to get ready to go to college since I go back the week after, so it looks like I won't be making that trip.

I'm sure people have mentioned this before, but it would be great if some CDs or even DVDs of Video Games Live were produced! I'd love to listen to the orchestrations, or even better - watch the show again! And those crappy bootleg videos on Youtube.com don't even come close. :/ (Which reminds me - I looked up into the audience a couple of times and there was this red light in the upper part of the auditorium.... Makes me wonder if parts of the Chicago show will show up on Youtube or Google Video or something similar.) At least I got a T-shirt; better than nothing.

You and Jack Wall have done a nice job, Tommy. Keep up the good work! :biggrin:

Double Post:
Picture time!

Picture of Cloud before the show:

Picture of, I think, Kevin Ryman:

Link:

Mario & Luigi:

The costume contest winners, Aeris & Cloud (a bit out of focus):

Some of the costumes on stage:

Some more:

Picture of the 8-bit segment:

After this picture, I turned my flash off because I didn't want to blind the orchestra players looking my direction.

Here's another picture of the 8-bit segment with the flash off. I'm sorry that Jack Wall's arm is blurred. No flash = slower shutter speeds = blurred movement:

About this time, my camera batteries died. Though, if I take the batteries out rearrange them and then wait for awhile, I can take one more picture before having to do it again.

Sonic segment:

Mario segment:

I forgot to turn the flash off on this one! I really hope I didn't bother any of the players.... >_>

And that's all I was able to squeeze out of my dead batteries. I was doing OK, but the flash finished them off.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Joe Wiewel; Aug 7, 2006 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2006, 02:29 PM #78 of 524
Originally Posted by Tommy Tallarico
We are trying to decide which the best venue is for the performance. We have a few different options but lots of places are already booked this year.

What do you think would be a good choice?

Tommy
Sorry, I woulnt really know of any. Boston is a huge city with a lot of venues. I was hoping VGL would happen during my Fall Break from college so that my girlfriend and I could attend.

I'm uncertain if this question was already asked, but are CDs of the concert available for purchase?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by THIEF; Aug 10, 2006 at 02:14 AM.
Diversion
Jellicle Cat

Member 68

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 11, 2006, 02:22 AM #79 of 524
I'll be at the Dress Rehearsal in Indy in about... 10 hours. Look forward to meeting you, Tommy!

FELIPE NO
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 11, 2006, 09:14 AM Local time: Aug 11, 2006, 06:14 AM #80 of 524
Purchased 3 tickets to the LA concert, me, my boyrfriend and a friend of ours will be there!

Can't wait!

How ya doing, buddy?

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
neothe0ne
River Chocobo

Member 461

Level 25.17

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 03:31 PM #81 of 524
Originally Posted by Hydelloon
Sorry, I woulnt really know of any. Boston is a huge city with a lot of venues. I was hoping VGL would happen during my Fall Break from college so that my girlfriend and I could attend.

I'm uncertain if this question was already asked, but are CDs of the concert available for purchase?
I read on the videogameslive.com FAQ that they're discussing it with publishers or something. BTW Tommy, I was at the Indy show on Saturday. I really enjoyed it, and as most others got a huge kick out of the Frogger event.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Secret Squirrel
River Chocobo

Member 89

Level 24.44

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 09:34 PM #82 of 524
This weekend, I was at the Saturday (Gen-Con) showing of VGL in Indianapolis. Warning: wall of text. This will appear in my journal as well, along with a write-up covering the rest of the weekend......

Video Games Live

Performers: Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, Indianapolis Symphonic Choir

MC: Tommy Tallarico, producer for VGL and composer for a ton of US games. (Of course, the one that's most familiar to me is the Unreal expansion pack.) He was also born 8 days after me. =p

Conductor: Jack Wall, who scored Myst IV.

Setup: The concert was divided into sections, roughly for each game or series. The music for the older games tended to be medleys, while some of the newer ones concentrated on the main theme. Above the orchestra, there was a big screen, where they showed video clips of each game. Some of the music had vocals, so there was also a choir, but I couldn't see them from where I was sitting, since they were blocked by the screen. Finally, there was a laser/light show, which added to the experience.

-------------
First Act
-------------
Arcade Medley: After the costume contest, the show opened with ... Pong. But wait, Pong had no music. Well, the orchestra played tones, choreographed to the ball hitting a paddle or the walls. Next, were some fan favorites ... Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, Asteroids, Xevious, slowly moving onto some of the early games that had what we consider music. We even got to hear some music from the VCD games Dragon Lair, and its ilk. Oh, and Tetris too.

Metal Gear Solid: A pretty good selection of music. I never played the game, but recognize it from the Best Song contest. I think we got the first choral work here, too.

Castlevania: This one was awesome, a medley containing many pieces that I love from the series.

Beyond Good and Evil: This got quite a cheer when Tommy announced it. I see why so many liked the music from this game. The beginning of the medley especially intrigued me.

Legend of Zelda: Before this next section, they played a segment recorded by Koji Kondo, where he introduced the game and its music. The Zelda series had some great music, and a nice selection of familiar tunes were represented in this medley. Most would tell you that this was their favorite in the first half.

God of War: Of everything in the concert, this is the only one I flat out didn't know. I checked it out after I got back, and I'm pretty sure The Vengeful Spartan was part of the medley.

Audience Participation 1 - Space Invaders: Tommy selected a member of the audience to come play Space Invaders on the stage, except there was no joystick - he controlled the turret's position by walking along the stage. The orchestra played music in real-time, and got faster when he invariably left a couple of ships on the ends. He didn't win the big prize.

TRON: This was my favorite section of the first half, and a complete surprise -- orchestral music from the movie TRON. (That might sound blasphemous, coming from me, but remember that there was also a TRON video game released at the same time as the movie. Also, the music used in the motion picture was mostly electronic, and shares some similarity with game music.)

-------------
Intermission
-------------
During the intermission, I watched some people play in a Space Invaders tournament, and I'm convinced that no one knows how to play it anymore. You have to take them out by columns or they'll pounce you.

-------------
Second Act
-------------
Audience Participation 1 - Frogger: Two audience members were selected for this one - a game of Frogger on the big screen with real-time orchestral accompianment. A girl from Wisconsin beat an older gentleman to win a Ferrari ... AMD64 Laptop. (I bet you thought it was a car.)

Medal of Honor Series: This was one of the most moving segments of the evening, with some of composer Michael Giacchino's music set to scenes from the second world war. Tommy also shared that during production of the game, Steven Speilburg was so impressed with Giacchino's talent, that he shopped him around in Hollywood, which is how this game music composer ended up writing the scores to popular shows like Lost and Alias.

EverQuest 2: Ah, music from an MMORPG. Pretty good. Maybe someday they'll feature Maple Story. Strangely, some of the in-game scenes made it look like EQ has a plot.

Kingdom Hearts: This was an orchestration of Hikari, but instead of KH scenes, we were treated to scenes from various Disney movies. You know, Peter Pan looks an awful lot like one of the incarnations of Zelda.

The Myst Series: The conductor spoke a little before this set, which is fitting because he composed the music for one of the Myst games. Heh, they showed some scenes from Myst I, which reminded me of the half-day I spent on that game before giving up and returning the CD to my roommate.

Advent Rising: The music from this game is one of Tommy Tallarico's own compositions. It was good, even though the game admitedly didn't sell well.

Sonic the Hedgehog: Ah, hearing an orchestration of Green Hill Zone brought pleasure to my ears. I can't remember if there's ever been any symphonic Sonic music. This was also a medley.

World of Warcraft: By their reaction, I think most of the audience is addicted to this game, so it was fitting. Socks tells me that some of the scenes they showed were from Warcraft 3, as well.

Special Guest - Martin Leung: This was a total shock; I had no idea this was coming. Martin Leung is the infamous Blindfolded Mario Pianist, who made a video and posted it online last year. He performed a piano medley of Final Fantasy music (even a bit of one-winged angel in there). The performance was impressive as always, and the arrangement was solid and a bit unusual. Without a doubt, this was the audience's favorite part of the concert, and the young man got the first Standing Ovation.

Mario: The concert was concluded with a nice medley containing music from Mario. There are so many Mario games, I didn't recognize half of the scenes they showed.

-------------
Encore
-------------
Halo: Tommy had one more surprise for us - a special guest appearance by Halo composer Marty O'Donnell, who introduced music from Halo, mostly the track called Halo. An interesting tidbit - the chanting is done by 5 jingle artists from Chicago.

Encore Encore: Martin Leung came out one more time, to the delight of the audience, and played a medley of Mario music.

-------------
Summary
-------------
The whole evening was quite an experience, and while the main emphasis was on game music, the overall theme of the show was the fun of gaming. Don't miss the opportunity to see it, if the show comes to a venue near you.

My only regret was that I missed the meet-and-greet because I had something else to attend afterwards. Hopefully next time.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Slightly Dark -- updated weekly with rare out-of-print game music.

Last edited by Secret Squirrel; Aug 14, 2006 at 09:58 PM.
Stazarine
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 11139

Level 1.47

Aug 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:05 PM #83 of 524
I haven't been on this forum in a long time, and when I came back, my previous account was deleted. So post count back to zero! boo.

In any case, coming back, I saw this VGL thread. and, like, omg! I've already got tickets to go see it in Hollywood Bowl! I almost died watching the trailer when I stumbled across the VGL site a while back. Bought the tickets months ago. That's how excited I am. ^_^

So basically what I'm saying is that I can't wait!

And, just one question to Tommy. Have you ever thought about doing anime music concerts?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Tommy Tallarico
Tommy Tallarico

Member 7546

Level 12.13

May 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:19 PM Local time: Aug 14, 2006, 09:19 PM #84 of 524
Thank you Joe Wiewel & Secret Squirrel for your kind words. I'm so glad you enjoyed the shows and had a great time! Please keep spreading the word. It's our best means of getting the word out there.

Yo Hydelloon, CD's & DVD's will be coming soon. Maybe by the end of the year. Please sign up on our mailing list on the front page of www.videogameslive.com so you'll get all the info first.

Yo Diversion, It was great meeting you! Please let us know what you thought of the concert! You were there on Friday night correct?

Hi Kairi Li! Thanks for the support!! Can't wait for you and your friends to see the Hollywood Bowl show!!! There's going to be a lot of new & unique stuff and a BUNCH of crazy surprises!! I'm even getting the GoodYear Blimp involved!! (I swear to God!)

Yo neothe0ne! Thanks!! Glad you liked the Frogger segment!! I love doing that!! Especially giving away a $2,500 laptop every night!!!

Yo Stazarine, Looking forward to putting on a great show for you at the Bowl! Thanks so much for supporting video game music!!! I'm not too familiar with Anime Music so I wouldn't feel comfortable putting on such a show. Video Games are my passion and my career so I'll be sticking with that. I do however know about a concert in Australia that combines video game & anime music together in a symphony. Here is the website: http://www.eminenceonline.com/anif/

See ya in September!!!!!

Tommy

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Tommy Tallarico

Facebook Personal Page
Twitter Personal
Twitter Video Games Live
YouTube Channel Personal
Joe Wiewel
hard worker

Member 259

Level 18.63

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:26 PM Local time: Aug 14, 2006, 11:26 PM #85 of 524
I'll be darn, There are already bootlegged videos of the Chicago performance! I guess that red light I noticed in the audience turned out to be on the camera that recorded them.

If you haven't been to Video Games Live, I'd check out those videos. The audio quality is much better than the Philadelphia bootlegs.

Double Post:

Darn, I just missed you!

Thank you Joe Wiewel & Secret Squirrel for your kind words. I'm so glad you enjoyed the shows and had a great time! Please keep spreading the word. It's our best means of getting the word out there.

Yo Hydelloon, CD's & DVD's will be coming soon. Maybe by the end of the year. Please sign up on our mailing list on the front page of www.videogameslive.com so you'll get all the info first.
No problem! I had an awesome time, so all I have to do is tell the truth whenever I talk about it with somebody...... You know, it was kind of interesting. During the show, I met some parents who had brought thier kids to the event and really didn't know what to expect. During the break, after the show and even while waiting in line for Meet and Greet, we chatted and they said that even though they really didn't know anything about video games or what was going on on the screen, they still had a good time and enjoyed the show. So, it just goes to show that 1) even non-gamers can enjoy video game music and 2) you guys have done an awesome job!

As far as spreading the word goes, I plan on wearing the Video Games Live shirt I bought around my college campus. I may get some weird looks from non-gamers, but I bet it will draw the gamers out of the crowd to ask me what my shirt's about. :biggrin:

Looking forward to the release of the CDs/DVDs! I've been on the mailing list a long time so I am highly anticipating the e-mail announcing that they're ready to order!

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Joe Wiewel; Aug 14, 2006 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Free.User
See You, Space Cowboy

Member 62

Level 32.80

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:07 AM Local time: Aug 14, 2006, 09:07 PM #86 of 524
Originally Posted by Joe Wiewel
I plan on wearing the Video Games Live shirt I bought around my college campus. I may get some weird looks from non-gamers, but I bet it will draw the gamers out of the crowd to ask me what my shirt's about.
Haha, be prepared. I've donned my shirt around non-gamers, and I've had many weird looks and questions.

Mario Kart DS: 498293-921939____
Star Fox Command: 155-576-696-451____
Metroid Prime Hunters: 4854-1233-4943____
Final Fantasy III: 506891214495____
Xfire: freuser____
Steam: Free.User
____
Stazarine
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 11139

Level 1.47

Aug 2006

Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:17 AM #87 of 524
That's cool. I'm looking for people around where I live to start playin' some anime music really. And thanks for the link. I might check that out next time I'm there in Aussie.

Also, there's another website/forum that you might want to check out if you don't know the place (or the creator) already. It's pianosquall.com. I think he was at E3.

And regarding the shirts, I'm planning on getting one, so I'll be another statistic in getting weird looks

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Stazarine; Aug 15, 2006 at 12:22 AM.
Diversion
Jellicle Cat

Member 68

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 04:34 AM #88 of 524
Yo Diversion, It was great meeting you! Please let us know what you thought of the concert! You were there on Friday night correct?

Tommy
I just got home last night. Unfortunately my car had broken down on the drive back, and I had a bit of a misadventure getting home.

Quote:
The Video Games Live Experience

There is simply no other way I could put this other than an experience. I had tickets to the original tour in the second row in the Detroit show, and it would still be another year after that when I finally get a chance to live this experience. Picked up Dress Circle tickets to the first night of VGL and got ready for a long drive to Indianapolis. 6 hours and a few breakdowns later, I was in Indy and headed over to pick up my tickets. As luck would have it, Becky Young had sent out an email for several people to get to go in during the dress rehearsal and get a little preview. Being a musician myself, naturally this was an awesome bonus to the show. First song I heard while in there was the Mario segment, and it was an absolute delight to hear Jack explaining the song. After we saw the preview for Space Invaders, and I didn't actually catch on right away WHY Tommy was leaping across the stage while playing the game.

After a few hour break recovering some sleep from the drive, it was showtime. Many of the costumes were simply fabulous, and it was so much fun being surrounded by others that share a passion similar to mine. The building was just full of so much energy that night, and the show hadn't even begun yet! After little Zelda won the costume contest, it was finally time! (Note: I'm using SS's template for the order, since I don't remember the actual order of the songs)

Act I
8-Bit Medley - I have IGN Insider, so I've already seen this segment and knew what would be coming, so I immersed myself in the experience and also had a lot of fun listening to the audience react to various sections. There's nothing like hearing those every day themes played by an orchestra... it's simply phenomenal!

Metal Gear Solid - Again, I have seen this piece done on IGN Insider. I never played much from the Metal Gear Solid series, however, the themes aren't unfamiliar to me. Personally, what made this segment really stick out more was the use of a live person on stage and the "!" that appeared overhead as the music deepened: a small effect, but left a lasting value!

Castlevania - This one was also played during the rehearsal, and I absolutely love the music in this series! Castlevania has a distinct style of music that is immediately recognizable if I ever heard it being randomly played anywhere, and the visual cues were also fun to follow during it. This segment impacted me more in the sheer orchestration and just listening to the musical beauty of it. This segment had a strong impact on me, even if it was the third time I heard it that day!

Beyond Good and Evil - During the Friday show it received quite a cheer when it was announced: myself, I have never played the series nor am I familiar with the music. I used the time to expand my experiences and enjoy the music, and it was a great new segment for me to hear!

Legend of Zelda - I've been playing Zelda music on the piano like crazy over the last 2 years, and I may have driven myself to the point where I can't stand the music on certain days, yet despite all of that, the segment still had a fresh feel to it! The section that really hooked me was towards the end of the song, the themes were downplayed in a reflective style, and its tranquility just pulled me right in. There isn't enough respect I can show towards Kondo for writing this original theme: the Zelda series always holds a special place in my heart.

God of War - As others have said, this is a part of the show I had no familiarity in whatsoever. I had never played the game, nor have I ever listened to the music. Again, I let myself get pulled into the music and enjoy the symphonic sound.

Space Invaders - This was fun to watch during the rehearsals. The music was very simply, but the orchestra gave it a great deal of depth that really got your adrenaline going as the invaders got closer to the turret. This was a very unique experience that no other show had ever attempted, because the music was being played TO the game on the screen in real time. Unfortunately the player didn't destroy the ships and win the prize, however, it was still a lot of fun to watch and he still got some very nice speakers!

TRON - What a guilty pleasure for everyone in that room to listen to this! Unfortunately, the themes I was never as strongly familiar with, so I was lost in the visuals. I remember seeing a Tron video where the actual racers were moving around the stage, and was a bit disheartened that it couldn't be done here. It did give me a chance to focus more on the music, and it was quite wonderful.

Intermission - There was a good "lol" factor when the "Loading Act II" screen came up. A good chance to stretch the legs and wander around the lobby.

Frogger - I remember back around 5 years ago I was at a leadership convention in Austin, Texas. At one point, a group had gone to the regional AMD headquarters, and while there, I had the opportunity to play Jedi Knight 2 on a large screen like this before, and it was amazing because everyone in the room is watching you and cheering you on. This segment was like this, only much better because of the orchestra playing, again, real-time to the player on the screen. If you're familiar with Frogger, you'll know that there's a lot of fast adjustments the orchestra had to do after deaths or successful trips. Both players did good and there were a lot of "oohs" on some close calls, and in the end, a girl won a nice $2500 laptop!

Medal of Honor - I absolutely loved the angle taken here: instead of using in-game footage, real footage from World War 2 was used in its stead, and it was a very heartfelt segment where the music was second to the scenes of the war on the screen, and Giacchino's music truly complemented what anyone would feel while watching war scenes. SS put it well when he said it was one of the most moving segments of the night, because I felt a similar feeling Friday night.

EverQuest 2 - I had a funny feeling during this one, mainly from the visuals, because in my MMO experiences, I have never really had that sort of epic party feeling while playing any MMO. It was certainly a nice touch and a fun segment.

Kingdom Hearts - The second Tommy said Disney the room simply erupted... so many people love these games: they encompass so many childhood memories in an original concept, and in the end, the delivery of the music and visuals really played off of the nostalgia of classic Disney movies.

Myst - "Yes, I talk, too"... Jack's first words of the night! Admittedly I only played the first Myst game, and it was so long ago that I don't remember the music, but given what I heard and saw, I think I need to make a return to the series and give myself the chance to get that experience again!

Advent Rising - I absolutely adore the song "Greater Lights", and I remember listening to it on Tommy's myspace and thinking to myself what I would be listening to if I never had this exposure. It makes me want to take on Tommy's challenge to bring this music to more people. I had 6 years being a church musician a couple years back, and I threw in so many VG songs for instrumentals because they were so gorgeous to listen to. I very much enjoyed this segment: the music was beautiful!

Sonic the Hedgehog - Everything from here to the end of the show was the most amazing experience for me. I absolutely LOVED listening to the Sonic themes performed by the orchestra: I didn't even watch the visuals on the screen here, simply immersed myself in what I was listening to. I look forward to the CD coming out just to relive this experience alone!

World of Warcraft - I'm an addict... so was half the audience when the song was announced. Seasons of War is such a great intro song for World of Warcraft and it gave me chills listening to the music while watching some of the most memorable scenes from the Warcraft series (in particular, Arthas' return to murder his father).

Martin Leung performs FF Music - I've played piano for nearly 16 years now, and even with the experience that I have, I was still completely blown away by this arrangement. The beginning was simple with more reflective themes from the series, but as it progressed in length, it also did in intensity and difficulty. Leung is an extremely accomplished musician and his performance was absolutely breathtaking to listen and watch (those hands!).

Mario - This was a nice melody, but in my opinion, was one of the lower points of the Act, but that may very well be my fault again because I surround myself in the music. It was still a very pleasant piece to listen to, and it was a nice end of the show.

Encore - Michael Salvatori was there for the show, and we were treated to a great Halo medley that I enjoyed immensely. I never played as much Xbox as I did other systems, and as such, never played much Halo, but I still listened to a bunch of the music anyhow. After the Halo segment, Martin came back out to do his familiar bit that so many on the Internet have seen, and it was a nice closing to the show

Afterwards I went out for the meet and greet. It was nice to meet many leaders in the industry, but I was really looking forward to meeting Tommy and Jack. Seriously: you guys have created an amazing show and experience here... I have never been to a show that impacted me so much as this one. I'll get moving on that Rhapsody in Blue arrangement and send it in to ya, and hopefully someday I'll be able to participate in the Video Games Live experience more actively. Thank you for a great evening!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Diversion; Aug 17, 2006 at 05:33 AM.
-=SeRaPH=-
I am Fluffy

Member 11403

Level 8.89

Aug 2006

Old Aug 20, 2006, 04:39 AM Local time: Aug 20, 2006, 08:39 PM #89 of 524
Yo Stazarine, Looking forward to putting on a great show for you at the Bowl! Thanks so much for supporting video game music!!! I'm not too familiar with Anime Music so I wouldn't feel comfortable putting on such a show. Video Games are my passion and my career so I'll be sticking with that. I do however know about a concert in Australia that combines video game & anime music together in a symphony. Here is the website: eminenceonline.com/anif/

See ya in September!!!!!

Tommy
Hello, I was just notified by my staff that someone has been talking about us and decided to put a post. I didn't think anybody in the US would know about us lowly Australians. But yeah, thanks for mentioning us Tommy! I'll probably see you guys in February

Tommy Tallarico
Tommy Tallarico

Member 7546

Level 12.13

May 2006

Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:19 PM Local time: Aug 25, 2006, 10:19 AM #90 of 524
Yo!

Anyone going to PAX (Penny Arcade Expo) this weekend in Seattle?? I'm up here now. They're having a video game cover band concert including Martin Leung, NESkimos, Minibosses and others.

If you happen to go and see me around... please come up and say hi.

Tommy

Double Post:
Originally Posted by -=SeRaPH=-
Hello, I was just notified by my staff that someone has been talking about us and decided to put a post. I didn't think anybody in the US would know about us lowly Australians. But yeah, thanks for mentioning us Tommy! I'll probably see you guys in February

Yo! Are you with Eminence?? Would love to speak with you guys. Send me your contact info through PM here and we should hook up.

Congrats on your success!!

Tommy

Yo Diversion!

Thanks so much for the great review! I'm glad you liked the show!!!!!

Tommy

Most amazing jew boots
Tommy Tallarico

Facebook Personal Page
Twitter Personal
Twitter Video Games Live
YouTube Channel Personal

Last edited by Tommy Tallarico; Aug 25, 2006 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
-=SeRaPH=-
I am Fluffy

Member 11403

Level 8.89

Aug 2006

Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:19 AM Local time: Aug 27, 2006, 04:19 PM #91 of 524
Yo!

Anyone going to PAX (Penny Arcade Expo) this weekend in Seattle?? I'm up here now. They're having a video game cover band concert including Martin Leung, NESkimos, Minibosses and others.

If you happen to go and see me around... please come up and say hi.

Tommy

Double Post:

Yo! Are you with Eminence?? Would love to speak with you guys. Send me your contact info through PM here and we should hook up.

Congrats on your success!!

Tommy

Yo Diversion!

Thanks so much for the great review! I'm glad you liked the show!!!!!

Tommy
Thanks Tommy, and will do.

CaptainCommando

Member 11726

Level 1.47

Aug 2006

Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:42 AM Local time: Aug 27, 2006, 09:42 AM #92 of 524
Hey, Tommy. Actually just popped by the forums today myself (I usually try to be helpful over at slightlydark.com, another cool community dedicated to preserving 'rare and obscure game music'). There's a lot of great stuff going on here I've been reading through, a lot of it I hope will be helpful to the research I am doing on videogame music (surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be much out there). There are a lot of good ideas floating around here, some of them addressing problems I have with showing people that videogame music is important when far too many people have prejudices against it. I'm sure you've had to deal a lot with that, too (heck, sounds like even guys like Chance Thomas have trouble, reading about the Grammies). What do you think some good solutions to this problem are?

I was also over at VGL in San Jose during the GDC, but I guess I was kind of exhausted because of the whole conference and I didn't have good seats (I fear I had to dub the area I was sitting in the 'fanboy section' so everybody there tended to get pretty excited and vocal) so I actually didn't enjoy it that much. However, I did really enjoy the GANG awards - that whole day with the Nintendo keynote and Will Wright keynote ended perfectly with that excellent awards ceremony you guys put on. I think if that single day was worth the entire trip. I missed the first few minutes of the awards while walking from downtown, but I was fortunately able to catch the drummer (sorry, I never caught his name!), Blindfolded Pianist, and of course the REALLY amazing Guitar Heroes. All of them were great, and it was nice to see everybody getting awards for the music and audio they had helped make. I also seem to remember they had guys in there with videocameras and I would love to get a copy of the recording. I didn't find any information on the GANG page or Gamasutra, but I hope it's available somewhere. Do you know how I might obtain a copy of this?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
GipFace

Member 11980

Level 1.00

Sep 2006

Old Sep 2, 2006, 06:28 AM #93 of 524
My experience in Toronto

I'm Dave Lim, otherwise known as the PICK ME PLEASE! sign guy that was at VGL in Toronto. Here's my take of it all!

The day started when I called my friend and asked him if he wanted to come with me. Sadly, he couldn't because he had work later that day, but had he known earlier about the date, he would have requested time off for this event. He told me that there was audience interaction during the event, so I headed on over to the VGL site for more details. There, it boasted about giving away a $3000 laptop (Acer Ferrari) to the winners of the interactive symphony at every city. I had only wanted to take in a live performance of video game music, but after reading that, I was a man on a mission.

That laptop was mine to seize!

I immediately started to do some research about past VGL performances, which led me to an OCRemix thread and this thread. I learned that the first game was Space Invaders and the second one was Frogger. I did not need any practice with Frogger, as I whored the game out when I was seven years old on my Commodore 64. Did you know that the best one-button joystick of all-time, the official Atari 2600 rubber joystick, works on the C64? Anyway, I needed some work with Space Invaders, as I never played that one as much as Frogger.

Someone on this thread stated that the best strategy for Space Invaders was to take out a column at a time, presumably to allow for a safe spot when things heated up. After some practice via emulation, I determined that there were two ways to tackle this: Either shoot through the shields and play aggressively, or strafe and only fire through the cracks. I decided on the latter, as I assumed there would be some lag between my movements and the actions on the screen. Also, I would only need to take one step to the side in order to avoid being shot instead of going back and forth should the shields disappear.

Now I needed a way to get up onto the stage. Someone on OCRemix said that one should be on the main floor making as much noise as possible when Tommy scans the audience. This meant that I had to purchase the best tickets in the house. I also learned that only three people (one for Space Invaders, two for Frogger) were going to participate in total. How could I stand out against hundreds of fellow gamers? That's when I came up with the idea about making a sign. I could not find any bristol board around, so I improvised by duct-taping two pieces of cardboard together. Then I took four letter-size sheets of paper, taped them to form a 17"x22" canvas, and wrote down "PICK ME PLEASE!" using a faded dry-erase marker.

I had my strategy, my sign, and my drive. Now I had to put it all together and hope that I would be one of the three lucky people to be picked.

I went downtown and cashed my work paycheque (ugh, dishwashing) at a loan shop because I didn't open a bank account a few days ago. I don't recommend it... 3 percent plus 3 dollars doesn't sound like much, but it tacked on another $11 to my expenses.

Then I walked one block down to Massey Hall. I purchased a $59.50 ticket... wait. The ticket guy told me that after service charges, it would be $70. Lame, but okay. He then told me that I would be seated in the ninth row. Excellent! He had a bewildered look as I presented the sign and told about my plan as he readied the ticket.

I went downstairs and entered the raffle for a poster signed by all sorts of people in the video game industry, as well as some rather weird inclusions such as Gary Coleman. Then I went back up and seated myself.

The person sitting next to me was a fine man named Luke, and we chatted for a while before the show began. He grinned and told me he purchased his tickets at around the same time I did, while his friends who reserved tickets a few weeks ago had to sit all the way at the back. He was attending the fan expo that day, and I told him my tale about my unsatisfying experience in 2003 (another story for another day). We joked about what would happen if the person fixing the overhead lights slipped and fell. Then I told him about my plan to get up onto the stage. He said he would support me during the audience scan.

The musicians took the stage, and the lovely hostess Becky introduced the event. There was some lukewarm applause, and Becky knew we could be a lot better. We were. Then she presented the entrants for the costume contest. The finalists were Scorpion, Zelda, and Solid Snake (in a box), and the winner would be determined by applause. The winner was, of course, Solid Snake, who then lifted his box up to reveal his outfit.

The orchestra warmed up, and Jack, the conductor, leaped out on stage. He then raised his arms for each section for noise. The balcony levels were the loudest; I was trying my hardest to make the floor level respectable, but our section was full of adults who did not want to clap or yell. It's the Toronto Maple Leafs syndrome; the best seats were purchased by fans who were... erm, more reserved about their love of gaming, while the cheap seats were filled with adolescents with a lot of energy.

I won't delve into the lineup since it has been already covered by others, but needless to say, it was all wonderful. Amazing stuff, especially the soprano who did the opera solos.

After Castlevania, Tommy came out and introduced himself and Jack. Then it was time for... AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION! Tommy explained what was going on, and my heart pounded as the adrenalin shot through my body. The moment he muttered the words I need a member from the audience, I stood up, lifted the sign over my head, and shouted TOMMY TOMMY TOMMY at the top of my lungs. Tommy appeared to be surprised at the sight of someone with a sign, and...

I WAS CALLED UP!

Yes! I went up to the stage and lifted the sign up for all to behold to the delight of the audience. Then he asked me about Space Invaders. I told him that I hadn't played it since I was a wee lil' kid, but I didn't tell him that I strategically planned for this very moment. He then told me to put on a T-shirt with the sprite of the defender (which I kept putting on backwards much to the chagrin of Tommy), and told me I was the ship. I shouted in euphoria, repeating his words, but Tommy misheard and reiterated that I was the ship, not the shit. The loudest roar of laughter of the night ensued.

Tommy asked for a two-minute timer. He told me to flail my arms in order to fire. Then he told me the most important thing... the red ship that would fly across the screen would be holding a big prize. I assumed that target was for the grand poobah, the Acer Ferrari, which was in a black box by Jack's side.

I was ready! I was prepared! How could I lose? That laptop was mine! Then it began...

The other two reports in this thread had the Space Invaders players losing. Now I know why. There was a two-second lag between my movements and the actions on the screen, making any action outside the shields a gamble. I lost a life in the first ten seconds. On the second life, I attemped to move between the second and third shields, but it kept moving me behind the shields. I yelled in agony as I tried to adjust, and I lost yet another life. Eventually I cleared two columns, but by then it was too late, as the enemies were getting too close to the shields. Then the red ship flew by at the worst possible moment; the moment after I dodged to the right in order to avoid a shot. I tried to move all the way to the left side in order to get off a flurry of shots, but the lag made it impossible to catch up. Noooooooooo! My laptop! :aargh:

Ten seconds later I lost my last life. I didn't last two minutes, and I couldn't even destroy half the enemies. I keeled over and hung my head as I awaited my fate. What an embarrassment. All that work for nothing...

But then Tommy announced that I would still receive something! As well as keeping the t-shirt, Tommy gave me a Radeon X1800 GTO (the budget version of the X1800 XL), and a copy of Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter. He then informed the audience about ATI's Canadian roots. Due to my hyper-competitive nature, I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed because I really wanted the laptop. However, I could not complain one bit as the consolation package was worth approximately $375.

Luke was proud of me and said that the loss wasn't my fault, that I was set up to fail. During the intermission, more people came up to me, talked about the sign in general, and asked for my picture. It seems that due to my unique way of getting myself noticed, I became an instant celebrity among the other attendees. They told me that it would be all over the internet, that there would be many imitators at future VGLs. Know that I was the original.

After intermission was over, Becky said they picked two people during intermission for the Frogger duel. I immediately raised my eyebrow when she escorted a teenage girl and an older gentleman out. Didn't one of the VGL reports in this thread also mention a teenage girl and an older gentleman being picked? Then Tommy put up a 90 second timer and talked about the Acer Ferrari for the winner while a shot of the laptop was displayed on the big screen. Wait a sec... I only saw one laptop besides Jack. Could it be that I never had a chance of winning it?

I told Luke that they picked a teenage girl and an older gentleman before, and since the girl won last time, I declared that the girl would also win this time. The gentleman went first, receiving a real controller. Great... had I saved my sign up for Frogger, I would have had a much easier time playing for the laptop. Instead, I watched him make mistakes such as avoiding the pink frog (worth 200 extra points upon reaching home) and mistiming log jumps. In the end, he put 4 out of 5 frogs in, scoring 2590 points.

Then the girl came up. While she also avoided the pink frog, she was good enough to complete the level right before the 90-second timer expired, scoring bonus points from the game timer. As a result, she trumped the gentleman's score with 4620 points and walked away with the laptop. *sniff* I hardly knew ye, oh Acer Ferrari...

Then the rest of the lineup played out, but man, can Martin Leung play the piano. That blindfold video was so not fake, as he did it again in front of our very eyes. Tommy put a hand up to his face and shook his head as Martin played Earthworm Jim banjo-style (Tommy said earlier that Earthworm Jim wasn't done because they couldn't find a banjo player). Later on, Tommy mentioned that the winning GH2 score was around 81600 points. I don't play GH2, so I wouldn't know if that score was good or bad.

After it was over, I went downstairs for the Meet 'n Greet. More pictures of me and the sign were taken. Then Becky came over and talked to each of the people waiting in line. Wow, is she ever gorgeous. Then I noticed that she wasn't wearing any shoes, leaving her feet solely covered by see-thru pantyhose. Man, that's hot! Wow, seeing her like that totally made my day because it made her cuter than ever.

AND I DON'T HAVE A DIGITAL CAMERA, ARRRRGH!

But someone else took a picture with the two of us. Wow, her skin felt so smooth... but she probably already has a boyfriend anyway. Oh well, I cherished what little time I spent with her.

I got a bunch of video game-related people to autograph their name on the sign. While speaking to Martin, I told him that his web site needed to be a bit more personal, that he should write a blog or something. Martin said that he would take my suggestion into consideration. Then I got to speak with Jack and Tommy. Jack admitted that the controller for Space Invaders wasn't working too well for the correspondent (aha! I was sabotaged!), while Tommy said that after seeing the sign, he had to pick me. They said that I was the very first person to come up with the idea of using a sign to stand out. I wished them the very best as I shook their hands one final time.

As I left the Meet 'n Greet area, I shouted PICK ME PLEASE one more time for one last round of cheering. Then someone said I sucked at Defender. I told him that the game was Space Invaders! Jeez, you'd think the name would be easy to remember, eh?

Looking back, I should have had Becky sign the sign too. :doh:

Out of all the video gaming experiences I ever had, such as winning the very first Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament in Canada at Playdium in 2001, or being declared Toronto's Pokemon master by the Nintendo tour crew in 2000, or meeting the Pure Pwnage (purepwnage.com) cast last March, I can safely say that this topped them all. It would have been #1 even if I hadn't won anything... but the prizes were the cherries on top of a deliciously smooth sundae.

Thank you Tommy, Jack, and the whole choir, orchestra, and stage crew for putting this all together and giving thousands of people a performance they will never forget. I can only dream of having the job you do, travelling from city to city in order to deliver a unique, unforgettable experience. Whatever you are planning in the future, do know that Toronto will always welcome you with open arms. I'll be telling everyone I know about it.

Total amount spent: $106 (tix, fees, transit)

Now if only there was a picture of Becky's feet in pantyhose... :dopey_love:

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by GipFace; Sep 2, 2006 at 06:34 AM.
Aktrez

Member 12042

Level 1.00

Sep 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 11:22 AM #94 of 524
Hey Gipface,

This is Becky Young, Events Director for Video Games Live. I wanted to thank you for this great write up about the concert.

I also wanted to just comment on a few things.

First, the laptop is only given away during the Frogger competition. This is because each event is sponsored by a company (IE: the Interactive Symphony starring Frogger presented by AMD.... The Interactive Symphony starring Space Invaders presented by ATI... etc) Therefore, you wouldn't have won the laptop on the Space Invaders one. The ATI card is pretty sweet though!!

In regard to picking the audience members... I do that MYSELF so I can assure you that it is not fixed. At each event I try to pit two people against each other who you may not always see... a mom and a little kid (not related of course) a dad type and a little girl type. This is so our very wide audience base all has someone to root for. Remember, this is a symphony and we have a lot of the older generation out there getting introduced to all of this "video game" stuff.

The way it worked this time was that I went down into the bar area and shouted "WHO WANTS TO PLAY FROGGER" The very first person to come to me was that dad with his son. I asked him if he had ever played before and he said all the time. So... OK... score one.

I then said "I need a girl now" and that is when the girl came up to me. I asked if she ever played and she said never.

So, it is by no means fixed (in fact, there was a room full of people who saw me do this) I really had no idea the girl would win at all! By all odds, it seemed daddy was going to take the cake.

Anyhow, thanks again for all your enthusiasm. You definitely were a bright star of the event that night!

Keep Gaming,
Becky Young
Events Director
Video Games Live

P.S. My feet!?!?! Interesting...... :doh:

Last edited by Aktrez; Sep 3, 2006 at 11:33 AM.
Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 04:58 PM Local time: Sep 3, 2006, 02:58 PM #95 of 524
Is it just me or does it look like this thread is starting to get a lot of replies from those closely involved in the game music industry? Kind of cool, huh?

Most amazing jew boots
Tommy Tallarico
Tommy Tallarico

Member 7546

Level 12.13

May 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:12 AM Local time: Sep 6, 2006, 08:12 AM #96 of 524
Thought some people may be interested in these press releases that went out today. It's an exciting honor for us to celebrate all of this incredible game music to people around the world. Next stop, Hollywood Bowl in two weeks! Lots of incredible suprises. That press release will be coming tomorrow. I'll make sure to post it here.

Our London show will be performed in Surround Sound!

Thanks!

Tommy

================================================== ======

VIDEO GAMES LIVE™ BRINGS PIONEERING SHOW TO NEW CONTINENT!

First Ever Video Game Concert In South America To Take Place During Electronic Game Show In São Paulo, Brazil

Landmark Event Being Presented by Futuro Communications and Intel

Having sold to a massive 11,000 crowd on its debut performance in the US last year – making it the largest video game concert in the world – Video Games Live™ will continue its ground-breaking World Tour by performing the first ever video game music concert in South America. On November 19th, VGL will bring its one-of-a-kind entertainment experience to Via Funchal in São Paulo, Brazil. The concert, sponsored by Intel, will be the closing event of the Electronic Game Show, an annual video game convention that draws over 30,000 people.

“Although there are a huge number of gamers in Brazil, we’ve never had a show as big as Video Games Live here,” says Fabio Santana, editor of Electronic Gaming Monthly Brasil. “I’ve been receiving an incredible amount of e-mail from readers since we published the details about the Brazilian show. They’re happy that they can actually be at this show, instead of just reading about it or watching parts of it online. I think the Video Games Live concert will also help educate people outside Brazil about the well-established and fast-growing game industry we
have here.”

“This is going to be an amazing experience for all of us,” says Tommy Tallarico, famed video game composer and co-creator/executive producer of Video Games Live. “We’re getting a tremendous response to our announcement, and we can’t wait to bring the VGL experience to South American fans.”

Video Games Live features music from the most popular video games performed by top orchestras and choirs, combining exclusive video footage and music arrangements with synchronized lighting, solo performers, electronic percussionists, and unique interactive segments. Video Games Live is once again opening the doors early to present a pre-show festival, including a costume contest where audience members come dressed as their favorite video game characters to compete for prizes. Other prizes will be given away throughout the evening during the Interactive Symphony segment, starring one of the most beloved classic arcade games of all time, Frogger, celebrating its 25th anniversary this year. Two audience members will compete for 90 seconds while the orchestra plays along, changing the musical score on-the-fly depending on what the contestants are doing on screen. This unique interaction with a live symphony has only ever been attempted and performed at Video Games Live.

The audience will also be treated to a special solo performance by Video Game Pianist Martin Leung who will be performing his exclusive Final Fantasy® piano arrangement consisting of over ten Final Fantasy® favorites. After the performance, there will be a meet-and-greet where fans can interact with renowned game composers and industry luminaries.

Video Games Live’s Brazilian debut is presented by Futuro Comunicação, a major communications company that develops products and services for pioneering communities. The show is being promoted by Circuito, one of Brazil’s most active production companies. Tickets are available now: http://www.viafunchal.com.br/shows.asp?ID=201

Video Games Live features music and exclusive synchronized video from popular franchises such as Mario™, Zelda®, Halo®, Metal Gear Solid®, Warcraft®, Myst®, Final Fantasy®, Castlevania®, Kingdom Hearts, Medal of Honor™, Sonic™, Tron, God of War™, Tomb Raider®, Advent Rising, Headhunter, Beyond Good & Evil™, Splinter Cell®, Ghost Recon™, Rainbow Six®, EverQuest® II and a special retro Classic Arcade Medley featuring over 20 games from Pong® to Donkey Kong® including such classics as Dragon's Lair, Tetris, Frogger, Gauntlet, Duck Hunt, Rastan, Space Invaders, and Outrun!

About Video Games Live™ (www.videogameslive.com)
Created by two industry leading video game composers Tommy Tallarico and Jack Wall, Video Games Live (produced under their company Mystical Stone Entertainment, LLC) is the front runner in the field of live game music performance. Video Games Live is an immersive concert event celebration featuring music from the biggest video games of all time. The debut performance launched on July 6th, 2005 at the world famous Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles with the LA Philharmonic with over 11,000 people in attendance making it the largest video game concert in the world.

###

================================================== ========

THE GROUND BREAKING VIDEO GAMES LIVE HITS UK SHORES

AN IMMERSIVE CONCERT THAT BRINGS VIDEO GAMES TO LIFE

For anyone who’s ever picked up a games console, the event you’ve been waiting for has finally arrived. VIDEO GAMES LIVE, brought to you by AEG Live, is the first ever concert to celebrate music from the biggest video games of all time from ‘Mario’ to ‘Final Fantasy’. Having sold out to a massive 11,000 crowd on its debut performance in the US last year – making it the largest video game concert in the world - VIDEO GAMES LIVE will now navigate its way successfully through to the next level when it hits UK shores on November 25th at London’s Hammersmith Apollo.

Share the intensity and thrill of the gaming world’s most powerful compositions, as a live orchestra and choir recreate the best video game music on a spectacular stage. The show combines exclusive video footage and music arrangements, synchronized lighting, solo performers, electronic percussionists, cinema surround sound and interactive segments to create an explosive entertainment experience. With music from the retro days of ‘Pong’ to the fast paced action of ‘Halo’, VIDEO GAMES LIVE will transport you into the heart of the gaming world. There will also be spectacular prizes, first time playable games and the opportunity to meet Britain’s top game designers and composers.

“Video games and their music have evolved into our culture,” said Phil Harrison, President, Worldwide Studios, Sony Computer Entertainment. “This event helps to celebrate video games as the significant global art-form they have become, as well as receiving the artistic respect they deserve.”

Celebrate the music from the games you love when Video Games Live comes to London this November.

First UK date: 25 November – Hammersmith Apollo, London

Tickets are £25 and go on sale on 6 September at 9am and are available from the 24-Hour hotline: 0870 405 0448 or online @ www.aeglive.co.uk

Video Games Live features music and exclusive synchronized video from popular franchises such as Mario™, Zelda®, Halo®, Metal Gear Solid®, Warcraft®, Myst®, Final Fantasy®, Castlevania®, Kingdom Hearts, Medal of Honor™, Sonic™, Tron, God of War™, Tomb Raider®, Advent Rising, Headhunter, Beyond Good & Evil™, Splinter Cell®, Ghost Recon™, Rainbow Six®, EverQuest® II and a special retro Classic Arcade Medley featuring over 20 games from Pong® to Donkey Kong® including such classics as Dragon's Lair, Tetris, Frogger, Gauntlet, Duck Hunt, Rastan, Space Invaders, and Outrun!

Created by two industry leading video game composers Tommy Tallarico and Jack Wall, Video Games Live (produced under their company Mystical Stone Entertainment, LLC) is the front runner in the field of live game music performance. Video Games Live is an immersive concert event celebration featuring music from the biggest video games of all time. The debut performance launched on July 6th, 2005 at the world famous Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles with the LA Philharmonic with over 11,000 people in attendance making it the largest video game concert in the world.

For further tour information contact: -
Nadine Bibi @ The Outside Organisation on 020 7436 3633
email: - Nadine.bibi@outside-org.co.uk
Check out www.aeglive.co.uk

Double Post:

We just sent out this press release today. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Thanks!

Tommy

================================================== ======

VIDEO GAMES LIVE™ RETURNS TO THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL WITH A SPECTACULAR NEW SHOW SEPTEMBER 21, 2006

Featuring Live Orchestral Excerpts of the New Halo® 3 Score

Special Musical Guests to Include BT, Steve Vai, Dweezil Zappa, Video Game Pianist Martin Leung, Game Composers, and More

LOS ANGELES – September 7, 2006 – Off the heels of sold-out shows around the world, renowned video game composers Tommy Tallarico and Jack Wall are bringing their immersive concert celebrating video games back to the world-famous Hollywood Bowl for the second time on September 21, 2006. The new Video Games Live™ concert features music from the most popular video games performed by top orchestras and choirs, combining exclusive video footage and music arrangements, synchronized lighting, solo performers, electronic percussionists, and groundbreaking interactive segments to create an explosive one-of-a-kind entertainment experience.

The concert will feature the celebrated Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, led by Video Games Live co-creator and conductor Jack Wall, with an opening act from famous recording artist Brian “BT” Transeau previewing selections from his new album “This Binary Universe.” Legendary guitarists Steve Vai and Dweezil Zappa will be performing along with the orchestra, as well as special appearances by well-known video game composers. New segments include a live performance of excerpts from the new Halo® 3 score as released this year at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, and the world premiere of Civilization IV, plus a rare special acoustic performance by the original Lucas Arts composers performing Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, and more.

Video Games Live will make history by being the first to bring the symphonic score from Final Fantasy® to the Hollywood Bowl. Fans will also enjoy a special solo performance by Video Game Pianist Martin Leung who will debut his unique Final Fantasy® piano arrangement consisting of over ten Final Fantasy® favorites. Special interactive segments involving the audience will take place during the show, including a live interactive Space Invaders game, a Frogger competition, and even a special interactive appearance by the Goodyear Blimp. The evening will begin at 5:30 pm with an exciting pre-show festival that includes game competitions, pre-released game demos, a costume contest, and the “meet and greet” session with famous game composers and designers from all over the world, available free to all ticket holders.

“We are thrilled to bring Video Games Live back to the Hollywood Bowl, where the show debuted last year in front of 11,000 people,” said Tommy Tallarico, famed video game composer and co-creator/executive producer of Video Games Live. “It’s such an exciting honor to be playing on the most famous stage in the world. I think it speaks volumes about how important video games have become to our culture.”

“The one important thing to understand is that Video Games Live is really an event for the whole family,” added Wall. “We include something for everyone, and even if you don’t play video games, you’ll be blown away by the show.”

New music and exclusive video has been added to the already spectacular line-up of games including Mario™, Zelda®, Final Fantasy®, Halo®, Metal Gear Solid®, Warcraft®, Myst®, Kingdom Hearts, Medal of Honor™, Sonic™, Tron®, God of War™ and others, plus there will be a new and expanded Classic Arcade Medley featuring tributes to the games that started it all.

The pre-show festival and costume contest will begin at 5:30 pm and is free to all ticket holders. Tickets ($3- $65) are currently on sale at www.ticketmaster.com, or http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0B...1&minorcatid=1 to link directly to the VGL ticket page. The show will begin at 8:00 pm.

Created by two industry leading video game composers, Tommy Tallarico and Jack Wall, Video Games Live (produced under their company Mystical Stone Entertainment, LLC) is the front runner in the field of live game music performance. Video Games Live is an immersive concert event featuring music from the biggest video games of all time. The debut performance launched on July 6th, 2005 at the world famous Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles with the LA Philharmonic with over 11,000 people in attendance making it the largest video game concert in the world.

About the Hollywood Bowl
One of the largest natural amphitheaters in the world, with a seating capacity of nearly 18,000, the HOLLYWOOD BOWL has been the summer home of the Los Angeles Philharmonic since its official opening in 1922, and in 1991 gave its name to the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, a resident ensemble that has filled a special niche in the musical life of Southern California. The 2004 season introduced audiences to a revitalized Hollywood Bowl, featuring a newly-constructed shell and stage and the addition of four stadium screens enhancing stage views in the venue. To this day, $1 buys a seat at the top of the Bowl for many of the Los Angeles Philharmonic's concerts. While the Bowl is best known for its sizzling summer nights, during the day California's youngest patrons enjoy "SummerSounds: Music for Kids at the Hollywood Bowl," the Southland's most popular summer arts festival for children, now in its 38th season. Attendance figures over the past several decades have soared: in 1980 the Bowl first topped the half-million mark and close to one million admissions have been recorded. In February 2006, the Hollywood Bowl was named Best Major Outdoor Concert Venue for the second year in a row at the 17th Annual Pollstar Concert Industry Awards; the Bowl's summer music festival has become as much a part of a Southern California summer as beaches and barbecues, the Dodgers, and Disneyland.

Tickets ($3 - $65) are on sale now at the Hollywood Bowl Box Office, by calling Ticketmaster at 213.480.3232, at all Ticketmaster outlets (Robinsons May, Tower Records, and Ritmo Latino locations), or online at HollywoodBowl.com. Groups of 12 or more may be eligible for a 20% discount, subject to availability; call 323.850-2050 for further details.

For general information or to request a brochure, call 323.850.2000.

###

Press contacts:
Karen Olin/Bret Ingraham
mPRm Public Relations
(323) 933-3399
kolin@mPRm.com
bingraham@mprm.com

How ya doing, buddy?
Tommy Tallarico

Facebook Personal Page
Twitter Personal
Twitter Video Games Live
YouTube Channel Personal

Last edited by Tommy Tallarico; Sep 7, 2006 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Citizen Meh

Member 4866

Level 1.10

Apr 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 01:51 PM #97 of 524
Bought my Hammersmith ticket! Looking forward to it!

Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 03:17 PM #98 of 524
Pardon my ignorance but I noticed that Metroid is noticeably absent from the Video Games Live line-up. Is this due to licensing issues, or is there some other factor?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Stazarine

Member 11139

Level 1.47

Aug 2006

Old Sep 12, 2006, 02:47 AM #99 of 524
I can't wait. I'm very excited. ^_^

José
Bronx Rican

Member 7683

Level 3.73

May 2006

Old Sep 14, 2006, 08:30 PM #100 of 524
Originally Posted by Stazarine
I can't wait. I'm very excited. ^_^
I, on the other hand, apparently will have to stop holding my breath: after missing the last northeast boat (i.e. Philly), and with New York pushed to God-knows-when-if-at-all, I'll come back sometime in 2007.

How ya doing, buddy?
José - Veteran G*A*M*E*R

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Video Games Live