Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Expiration Dates

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 08:41 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 07:41 PM #1 of 38
Expiration Dates

Do you eat foods past the expiration date? If so, which ones and how long past the date? Also, have you ever unknowingly purchased something from the store that was past the expiration date?

The only product I regularly use past the expiration date is milk. I usually still drink it within a week past the expiration date, because it still tastes fine to me. But other than that, it's usually on a case by case basis. If it still looks fine, I'll taste it, and if it still taste fine, I just eat or drink it normally.

And from the store, my mom bought me a soda from a gas station that was three months past the expiration date. The thing is, I didn't realize this until I was already halfway done with it. But since I only realized it from the date, and not the taste, I still finished it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
JackTheRipper
fuck

Member 1296

Level 19.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 08:43 PM #2 of 38
I tend not to. Unless it is something like milk or deli meats, there isn't much to worry about. Most of the time an expiration date on things will be like "best eaten by 5/11/09"

There's nowhere I can't reach.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 08:47 PM #3 of 38
I've used eggs months after the expiration date. I only use them in cooking, so they last a long time. If they were really bad, they'd start to smell, which has never happened to me, and I've yet to get sick, so it's all good.

Most amazing jew boots
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 09:04 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 07:04 PM #4 of 38
I currently have some sour cream and onion chips on top of my frige that expired on February 23. They taste just fine (last I checked) and haven't caused any problems. Though I was paranoid at first about eating them, simply because I once almost ate a very old Doritios chip that was mostly blue from mold.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 09:07 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 02:07 AM #5 of 38
Not that I make a habit out of it or anything but if you can get something like a stick of butter or yogurt that's only say a week overdate at half the price or less, it won't do me any harm as those things generally keep very well.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Lee-chan
~キラキラ・マジック~

Member 1899

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 09:20 PM #6 of 38
I don't. In fact, when it comes to dairy products, I'm downright paranoid... but that might be traced back with a sour cream accident I had years ago. Still, it's not something I'd like to repeat.

Aside from that, I'm just really sensitive to the change in taste when it comes to a lot of foods going bad.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 09:21 PM #7 of 38
I do this with bread only because I leave it in the fridge or the freezer instead of out on the counter.

FELIPE NO
xSummonerYUnax
transcience

Member 1170

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:02 PM #8 of 38
Originally Posted by Lady Miyomi
I do this with bread only because I leave it in the fridge or the freezer instead of out on the counter.
Hey! I do the same thing. I unintentionally purchased expired bread last week and didn't realize until I was half done with the bag. Oh well. At least I didn't see any funky mold-ish things growing on them.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Spyer
Yeeeaaaa.

Member 548

Level 18.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:27 PM #9 of 38
No, never. I had some bad experience with expired chips, food, and especially milk. Oh god, I bought some milk, drank it, and then had a weird taste in my mouth. Then I looked at the expiration date and noticed it was 2 weeks expired. I had a very very bad stomach ache for the next 3 days. Some bad times with that milk. Ugh.

Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:31 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 09:31 PM #10 of 38
You guys should notice that food has a 'sell date' on it. Just means the stores have to sell it by them. It should be good for at least another week.

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:59 PM #11 of 38
Originally Posted by RockgamerXIII
And from the store, my mom bought me a soda from a gas station that was three months past the expiration date. The thing is, I didn't realize this until I was already halfway done with it. But since I only realized it from the date, and not the taste, I still finished it.
Soda doesn't really go bad, so don't worry about that.

The only stuff you really need to worry about is dairy products (or fresh meat, not canned).

Everything else I'll eat even if it's years past the date. I had a can of Budweiser the other day, expired Nov 2003. I opened it up, poured it, it was still really fizzy and tasted perfect.

If it's a sealed bag or can, I don't see a problem.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:09 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 09:09 PM #12 of 38
I note expiration dates before using some products as a factor in checking if I should use the product. Basically, this applies to milk (among other dairy products), bread, and meats for me.

I've eaten chips way past the sell by date, but there is one ginormous container of mixed party chips that I've had for almost 4 years now. Everything in it has pretty much lost its texture, and I should really throw it out. Oh well.

waka waka

sanemonkey • twitter • last.fm • gfw • backlog • youtube • xbox
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:21 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 12:21 AM #13 of 38
I generally don't mind eating expired chips or crackers, since I haven't had any bad experiences with that yet. I don't really care for expiration dates on pop, though I hardly drink that stuff anyways. It could be years past its expiration date, and I wouldn't care less-- as long as it isn't a decade old or something! On the other hand, I won't even touch milk, cheese, or yogurt after the expiration date.

kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:51 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 10:51 PM #14 of 38
I always get confused with an expiration date and a sell by date. I'm never sure how long I'm can eat the sell by date by so a lot of food just sits in my fridge because by the time I'm ready to eat it, I'm freaked because it's been so long. Milk really bothers me with an expiration date. It expires so quickly but tastes ok weeks after, I think I still have some milk in my fridge that expired in January.

I had some iced tea today and the bottle was going to expire tomorrow. I still drank it but I felt a bit skeeved.

Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:53 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 12:53 AM #15 of 38
I usually try not to. With fresh things, like milk, cheese, produce, etc., I will definitely throw it out if past expiration date. Processed foods like soda, crackers, etc., I will still eat it. First I'll take a bite, and if it sucks, I'll chunk it. Otherwise it's still good to me.

FELIPE NO
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 01:10 AM #16 of 38
Originally Posted by JazzFlight
Soda doesn't really go bad, so don't worry about that.

The only stuff you really need to worry about is dairy products (or fresh meat, not canned).

Everything else I'll eat even if it's years past the date. I had a can of Budweiser the other day, expired Nov 2003. I opened it up, poured it, it was still really fizzy and tasted perfect.

If it's a sealed bag or can, I don't see a problem.
And it didn't bother you?

Can't something go bad in the bag?

Fleshy Fun-Bridge
Hi there!

Member 907

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 01:14 AM #17 of 38
The only expiration dates I might pay any real attention to are the ones placed on commercially packaged beef products.

It turns out that a lot of meat packagers are injecting these packages with carbon monoxide; this has the effect of making the meat appear fresh and pink indefinitely. Visible inspection to tell if its spoiled becomes virtually impossible and the only way you'll really know is to either go by the date on package, or physically handle and smell the meat.

Rachelle
Syklis Green

Member 2670

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 01:33 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 07:33 PM #18 of 38
My flatmates and I don't share cooking or food, so I usually take some time to finish a loaf of bread. So long it's not grown mould or gone dry and hard I usually just chomp it down. Most dry packages foods taste fine to me even though their past they use by date. The only thing I usually don't touch after its expiration date is milk and yoghurt and meat....

Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 01:33 AM #19 of 38
Originally Posted by ElectricSheep
The only expiration dates I might pay any real attention to are the ones placed on commercially packaged beef products.

It turns out that a lot of meat packagers are injecting these packages with carbon monoxide; this has the effect of making the meat appear fresh and pink indefinitely. Visible inspection to tell if its spoiled becomes virtually impossible and the only way you'll really know is to either go by the date on package, or physically handle and smell the meat.
Is there proof of this anywhere? Oh man, that's disgusting...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Fleshy Fun-Bridge
Hi there!

Member 907

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:18 AM #20 of 38
There is some effort to get the FDA to ban this process.

USA Today article
WA Post article
PR Newswire Article

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:35 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 11:35 PM #21 of 38
I never drink milk on the printed expiration day. My stomach tends to be very sensitive, so I'd rather not take any chances with milk. The same can be said for all other foods.

EmpyreanHorizon
The cow is stuck...

Member 2562

Level 6.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 04:34 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 05:34 PM #22 of 38
What about medicinal drugs? We consume them as well, right? and they have expiration dates as well, right? I had this bottle of tylenol once. expired two months before. I still took two every eight hours and my headache went away. So i suppose that's okay? Maybe i'm just really ignorant but it was two in the morning, my head was throbbing and the pharmacy was closed. Oh well.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 09:17 AM #23 of 38
Originally Posted by EmpyreanHorizon
What about medicinal drugs? We consume them as well, right? and they have expiration dates as well, right? I had this bottle of tylenol once. expired two months before. I still took two every eight hours and my headache went away. So i suppose that's okay? Maybe i'm just really ignorant but it was two in the morning, my head was throbbing and the pharmacy was closed. Oh well.
I used to work in a pharmacy, and the pharmacist told me medicine is good for a year after the expiration. Expiration dates on drugs assume that the drugs were stored in the worst possible conditions (too hot or cold). At least with over the counter pills, they don't go bad, they just lose their potency. We used to stock up on Tylenol and the like when they'd get marked down for being close to expiring.

FELIPE NO
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:34 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 09:34 AM #24 of 38
I had to dump a whole heap of passionfruit yogurt down the toilet last night. It was two months past the 'this will probably kill you' date. It had fuzz and cool yellow stuff on it. But yeah. I don't really care about those little printed dates. Virtually everthing seems to keep a few days after it. "THIS MILK INSTANTLY GOES BAD IN FOUR MINUTES"

Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 07:39 PM #25 of 38
It's probably psychosomatic, but if I know something is past the expiration date, it always tastes funny to me, even if it seems completely okay. I should know better, though. Being an engineer, I'm familiar with the concept of "factor of safety" which is used to make absolutely sure nothing screws up. So that date is probably the expiration date under worse than the worst conceivable circumstances.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich > Expiration Dates