Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] The Black Mages III news. A bunch of pointless speculation follows.

Vaeran
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5009

Level 2.97

Apr 2006

Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:57 PM #1 of 80
The Black Mages III news. A bunch of pointless speculation follows.

(Sorry, no release date or tracklist yet!)

Uematsu has stated several times that TBM3 was being worked on this year (and I believe he expected it to be released by year's end, as well), but until now there's been no other details available.

This interview surfaced the other day at the Soundtrack Central boards, courtesy of Godai. Relevant bits:

Quote:
G wie Gorilla: How is your band 'The Black Mages' doing?

Uematsu: We are currently planning our third album.
Quote:
G wie Gorilla: What sort of music will be on the new Black Mages-Album?

Uematsu: This time, we will release a double album. The first CD will contain the usual arranged Final Fantasy themes. But the second disc will be something new. We're trying to represent old japanese folk tales in terms of music.
Interesting! It sounds like the second disc will be something not previously attempted in VGM - merging what I suppose would be classical Japanese music with TBM's usual rock style. I just hope the FF side of the album doesn't suffer from having the band's attention divided.

(EDIT: Uh, I guess I need postcount++ before I can post a URL. That's mildly retarded, but okay - if you want to read the full interview, go to the Soundtrack Central boards and look at the first page of the "Game" forum.)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
lightgem
Chocobo

Member 1010

Level 12.35

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 02:37 AM #2 of 80
Greak freaking news. I'm so looking forward to this. I still remember 22.12.04, the moment I held the disc in my hand was sure beautiful, but the time that I waited for it to come out was magical. Now I get to live that moment again.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
neothe0ne
River Chocobo

Member 461

Level 25.17

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 03:38 PM #3 of 80
I've enjoyed the recent work of the Black Mages (One-Winged Angel and Last Battle (FFIII)), mostly because the solos near the end of the songs were less outrageous and more fitting. I no longer enjoy the first album and much of the second due to solos which just don't fit, or performance styles which are too slow for my tastes.

Assuming the third album will be styled more like Last Battle (FFIII) and One-Winged Angel, I think I'll be very pleased.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 06:53 PM Local time: Sep 23, 2006, 09:53 AM #4 of 80
Great news, I hope both discs live up to the standard that the Black Mage's first two releases have set! Can't wait to see some of my favourite battle themes get on there which missed being chosen for the first release...("Premonition" would be awesome, yet it's highly doubtful they'd choose that)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 07:46 PM #5 of 80
I'd be very interested to see if the rock-opera sees the return of opera singer Tomoaki Watanabe (aka mr.goo). I'm also hoping that Keiji Kawamori (who did "The Chase on the Highway" for Advent Children) and Michio Okamiya (who did "Maybe I'm a Lion" on The Skies Above) will arrange, as they have something original to add.

neothe0ne, you might be interested to know that those two tracks you were mentioned were done by Kenichiro Fukui, not the band's main arranger Tsuyoshi Sekito. Though he also did "The Man with the Machine Gun", "Zeromus", "The Skies Above", and "Blue Blast...", which were all fairly controversial additions to the second album.

Quote:
"Premonition" would be awesome, yet it's highly doubtful they'd choose that
Why's that? But, yeah, it would be awesome.

I was speaking idiomatically.
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Sep 23, 2006, 12:25 AM #6 of 80
Last album, a few people (myself included), were expecting Dark Messenger (FF9) to be on TBMII. Once again, here's to hoping it happens on this album.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Sep 23, 2006, 12:59 AM Local time: Sep 23, 2006, 03:59 PM #7 of 80
Originally Posted by Mr. Maul
Why's that? But, yeah, it would be awesome.
Oh, it's just that I thought that it was an underrated track (which I obviously think it isn't). The people who I've talked to about the FFVIII soundtrack didn't think much of it. =/ Oh yeah, and "The Sword Of Doubt" wouldn't be overlooked if it found it's way on the third album. But yeah, I agree with SuperSonic, where's the "Dark Messenger" love?

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Muzza; Sep 23, 2006 at 01:03 AM.
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 23, 2006, 01:04 AM #8 of 80
Ah awesome. I've been waiting for this news for awhile. I play the entire first album on guitar at least once a week now.

Some stuff I'd love to see: FFIV: Red Wings, or Fight 1 or 2, FFV: Decisive or Last Battle, ANYTHING from FFVI, particularly the Dream Oath Opera, that'd totally rule. From FFVII, perhaps Birth of a God, from FFIX, Jesters of the Moon, We are Thieves, Ancient Passage and Evil Messenger.

Anything that they can make rockin' is good in my book anyhow...though I would personally hope for less of the singing. Detracted from the seriousness of it for me.

I'm actually very interested in this second disc though. I'd love to hear more stuff from that that I "haven't heard" already. I favor thier style as a prog band, so anything different would definently be awesome.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
HylianLink
Wark!

Member 1417

Level 3.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 12:53 AM #9 of 80
Originally Posted by Servilonus
Anything that they can make rockin' is good in my book anyhow...though I would personally hope for less of the singing. Detracted from the seriousness of it for me.
It's funny that you should say that, i actually quite like the vocal's in BM albums, i made a workout edit of The Skies Above (cut out the slower begining) because it gets me pumped out and makes me want to run faster. While i don't fully understand what he's singing, that japanese guy is a talented singer.

Last edited by HylianLink; Sep 24, 2006 at 01:09 AM.
Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 02:40 AM #10 of 80
ANYTHING from FFVI, particularly the Dream Oath Opera, that'd totally rule.
Good god yes. That, and "The Day After" from FFVI are begging to get the BM treatment.

lightgem
Chocobo

Member 1010

Level 12.35

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 11:17 AM #11 of 80
The vocal in The Skies Above is OK, but the solo at the end is a killer.

Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 01:11 PM #12 of 80
Originally Posted by HylianLink
It's funny that you should say that, i actually quite like the vocal's in BM albums, i made a workout edit of The Skies Above (cut out the slower begining) because it gets me pumped out and makes me want to run faster. While i don't fully understand what he's singing, that japanese guy is a talented singer.
Well it's not as if I <i>can't</i> stand it per se, but it certainly detracted my liking of the song. If they were going to do something like that, I wish they would have used a dedicated English speaking singer, from an established band or something. Guy IS a talented singer but when you get someone attempting to pronounce certain syllables from a non-native language, it comes out a bit weird. I'd rather if he was just singing in Japanese. But I was less fond of the female vox in Otherworld. Song was already heavy; they didn't really need to touch it.

If they DID do the Dream Oath Opera though, I wouldn't mind if they used that guy again. Heh, they could use him AND the female vocalist from Otherworld, and they got a Draco and Maria right there. But if I could pick any song for them to do, it'd totally be the DDO. I used to play that song on guitar (and bass) alot. I'd love to be able to play a BM version

The Day After would be awesome too (another song I can play), but I think it'd be better in like a FFVI medley of dark world themes (like Dark World, and Searching for Friends, which would also work well by itself, bass line++)

Some other songs from FFVI I'd LOVE to see would be: Mines of Narshe (cool with a jazzy prog spin), Returners, Mystery Train, Serpent Trench, Save Them!, Slam Shuffle, Devil's Lab, New Continent, Fierce Battle, The Magic House, and Last Dungeon. There's too many. Just MOOOOAR FFVI. I'd seriously give a left nut for a Black Mages FFVI arrange album (Ok, I probably wouldn't if they asked me). But I doubt Uematsu would ever want to revisit an entire album anyway.

Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 04:04 PM #13 of 80
Since they did Zeromus, Dancing Mad, Otherworld, and One Winged Angel so well, I would absolutely DIE to hear The Extreme. I can only vaguely picture some of the many possibilities the song offers, especially with it's busy bass line.

It's quite a pep up to hear that BM3 is in progress, and that they're not stopping at 2. I also like how they're gradually branching out from being just "FF battle music".

How ya doing, buddy?
Lolman
Syklis Green

Member 279

Level 8.62

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 04:24 PM Local time: Sep 25, 2006, 12:24 AM #14 of 80
If they DID do the Dream Oath Opera though, I wouldn't mind if they used that guy again. Heh, they could use him AND the female vocalist from Otherworld, and they got a Draco and Maria right there. But if I could pick any song for them to do, it'd totally be the DDO. I used to play that song on guitar (and bass) alot. I'd love to be able to play a BM version
Fun fact: mr. goo is Draco at "Tour de Japon" and "Voices" concerts. :biggrin:

Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 05:18 PM #15 of 80
Originally Posted by Summonmaster
Since they did Zeromus, Dancing Mad, Otherworld, and One Winged Angel so well, I would absolutely DIE to hear The Extreme. I can only vaguely picture some of the many possibilities the song offers, especially with it's busy bass line.

It's quite a pep up to hear that BM3 is in progress, and that they're not stopping at 2. I also like how they're gradually branching out from being just "FF battle music".
I suppose it could work. I'm not a huge FFVIII fan, but if combined with Maybe I'm a Lion, they could do a whole FFVIII last battle suite.

I was also worried about them stopping after BM2, and I sincerely hope they keep going strong (as if not implied by my unyielding enthusiasm). BM is how I found GFF in the first place, actually.

Also, as much as I love battle themes, they tend to be overdone, and I would like to see thier spin on other types. For the most part, BM1 was all prog-metal (which I love), but I'd like to see, for example, a jazzy-fusion style of Narshe Mine.

Originally Posted by lolman
Fun fact: mr. goo is Draco at "Tour de Japon" and "Voices" concerts. :biggrin:
Heh, that's something. That makes it even more apropo than I thought.

FELIPE NO
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 07:11 PM #16 of 80
Hell, yes. I completely forgot about that song. This and Premonition would be awesome on a Black Mages album.

How ya doing, buddy?
bighunt
Driving under the radar....

Member 608

Level 13.78

Mar 2006

Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:44 PM Local time: Sep 25, 2006, 01:44 PM #17 of 80
This is great news. i really liked the first two cds and the live performances were great. perhaps more FF8 music??? (please....)

Magusstorm
Sumire Kanzaki

Member 6605

Level 13.78

May 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:55 PM Local time: Sep 30, 2006, 06:55 PM #18 of 80
I agree the Skies Above is a real good track. I hated much of Black Mages II though, I liked the Battle of the Four Fiends and Skies Above. The second disk ruined some very good battle themes such as Maybe I'm a Lion. I think though that the first CD was in my opinion was the best, you couldn't beat the J-E-N-O-V-A and Those Who Fight Further tracks. I would want Decisive Battle and Summoned Beast Battle of FFX remixed as these were pretty good tracks, plus the battle theme against Edea in FFVIII. I am looking very forward to the third Black Mages CD with excitement and worries. I just hope that they pick some good themes and remix them well.

Double Post:
I do agree with Bighunt, they do need to remix some of the FFVIII battle themes especially on how the ruined the Maybe I am Lion track with that real shitty remix.

Double Post:
Plus to SuperSonic: Premonition was the battle theme against Edea and Ultimecia wasn't it?

The Cherry Blossom Garden Thread
My Request Thread

Games of the Moment: Final Fantasy IX, Valkyrie 2: Silmeria
Soundtrack of the Moment: Biohazard: The Umbrella Chronicles

Sakura Taisen

Last edited by Magusstorm; Sep 30, 2006 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:21 PM Local time: Oct 1, 2006, 11:21 AM #19 of 80
Originally Posted by Magusstorm
Premonition was the battle theme against Edea and Ultimecia wasn't it?
I'll answer on SuperSonic's behalf; yes, "Premonition" is played when you fight Edea in both disc 1 and disc 2. I'm not sure about Ultemicia though, unless you just mean when you fight Edea while she's possessed by Ultemicia...

Well, it's an awesome tracks nonetheless.

Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:36 PM #20 of 80
Those Who Fight Further is my fave BM track. It is just damn awesome.

I'm looking forward to the third album. I don't care what tracks they'll use, but I hope there's a rendition of Locke's theme

Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:42 PM Local time: Sep 30, 2006, 06:42 PM #21 of 80
Liberi Fatali or The Landing would make some interesting rock tracks. A chocobo compilation would be cool too.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 03:01 AM #22 of 80
I do agree with Bighunt, they do need to remix some of the FFVIII battle themes especially on how the ruined the Maybe I am Lion track with that real shitty remix.
I really like Maybe I'm a Lion on BMII, it was probably one of my favorites on the album.

Seems like I'm the only one who doens't really care that much for the FFVIII OST.

I still wonder how they'd be wanting to be expressing japanese folk tales on the second disc. I can't imagine that really working without lyrics, and if it DOES involve lyrics, I hope it ISNT Mr. Goo entirely, I don't think I'd be able to take it seriously. If they do an english story, have the singer be english, and if it's a japanese story, have it be a japanese singer. That's all I ask for vocals.

Magusstorm
Sumire Kanzaki

Member 6605

Level 13.78

May 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 12:18 PM Local time: Oct 1, 2006, 06:18 PM #23 of 80
Originally Posted by Muzza
I'll answer on SuperSonic's behalf; yes, "Premonition" is played when you fight Edea in both disc 1 and disc 2. I'm not sure about Ultemicia though, unless you just mean when you fight Edea while she's possessed by Ultemicia...

Well, it's an awesome tracks nonetheless.
Muzza: In the first part of the battle against Ultimecia ''Premonition'' is played and half way into Griever's battle until he uses Shockwave Pulse.

Double Post:
Servilonus: With me I was a fan of the FFVIII OST but not of the game as much. The game was good but didn't follow on as strongly as that of Final Fantasy VII. Plus I feel uneasy about them doing vocals after what happened with BMII. I hated Otherworld but Skies Above was pretty good.

Slash: Liberi Fatali deserves a remix indeed. It was a excellent track

And plus, I would love to hear some the FFXII battle themes remixed. Hitoshi Sakimoto did such a excellent job, that it would interesting to hear some of the Final Fantasy XII battle music remixed.

FELIPE NO
The Cherry Blossom Garden Thread
My Request Thread

Games of the Moment: Final Fantasy IX, Valkyrie 2: Silmeria
Soundtrack of the Moment: Biohazard: The Umbrella Chronicles

Sakura Taisen

Last edited by Magusstorm; Oct 1, 2006 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 06:23 PM Local time: Oct 2, 2006, 09:23 AM #24 of 80
Muzza: In the first part of the battle against Ultimecia ''Premonition'' is played and half way into Griever's battle until he uses Shockwave Pulse.
Oh, now you mention it it's really clear in my mind...I should really play it again my FFVIII knowledge is growing rusty. =P

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
MrSatan
I'm the best, and the best thing is you know it!

Member 270

Level 15.87

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2006, 09:13 PM #25 of 80
I agree the Skies Above is a real good track. I hated much of Black Mages II though, I liked the Battle of the Four Fiends and Skies Above. The second disk ruined some very good battle themes such as Maybe I'm a Lion.

Double Post:
Plus to SuperSonic: Premonition was the battle theme against Edea and Ultimecia wasn't it?
what???
dude with all my respect, maybe im a lion is one of the best songs from TBM2
but hey taste are different right?
anyway, this are really good news indeed!!!
i was waiting for this, and i was waiting to order the other 2 cds.

Double Post:
Since they did Zeromus, Dancing Mad, Otherworld, and One Winged Angel so well, I would absolutely DIE to hear The Extreme.
you are so damn right dude!!!!
The extreme all the way up kick ass song

Last edited by MrSatan; Oct 2, 2006 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [News] The Black Mages III news. A bunch of pointless speculation follows.