Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Music Exposure Club™
Closed Thread

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2009, 01:23 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2009, 11:23 AM #176 of 201
The Argyle Pimps - Invisible Jet-Ski's
Year: 2006
Label: Kamikazi Airlines
Genre: Hip Hop

1. Argyle Pimpin'
2. Howard Hughes
3. Buy Us A Drink
4. Car That Works
5. Handsome
6. Fashionable Club Chicks
7. Geezers
8. Japanese People
9. Old School Metallica
10. Mr. Wendal
11. Phoebe Cates

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

With a comical approach, and unconventional subject matter The Argyle Pimps brush against genius with their retro-lounge sound and a variety show style that is difficult to typify. More than just another indie-rap act, this oddball hip hop duet from Fresno, CA leave an impression on the crowd like old time entertainers, blending humor and flawless rhyme schemes into a thoroughly entertaining experience. Live in concert the stage personas of Boney Beezly and Cockamamie Jamie The White Dean Martin display a finesse that invokes the days of Perry Como and Dino, combined with a comedians sense of improvisation and timing, all bound together with the raw talent and energy of two young emcees with more sarcastic rap skill than they know what to do with. Oh, and EngleBurt handles most of the Maestro duties. Rockin' that Rat Pack style with songs about retirement homes, Aryan metal fans and 90's era rickety cars will make you wind your spine while you snap up your suspenders. I mean, seriously, who else is gonna make music for 90 lb. nerds to groove to?

CHECK THE NAME BADGE, GRANNY. YOU IN MY WORLD NOW

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2009, 01:19 PM #177 of 201
Benga - Diary of An Afro Warrior
Year: 2008
Label: Tempa
Genre: Dubstep

1. Zero M2
2. Night
3. B4 The Dual
4. E Trips
5. Someone 20
6. Light Bulb
7. Crunked Up
8. Go Tell Them
9. The Cut
10. Emotions
11. 3 Minutes
12. Pleasure
13. 26 Basslines
14. Loose Synths
.................................................. .....................................

Smooth soulful dubstep, not that overuse of wobble you'll find permeates most of the genre tracks. This, much like Burial's "Untrue" is best describe as headphone music. That is, music meant for those deep dark recesses in your skull or, you know, a dark dungeon of a club. Just be sure to listen to it in the dark.

GIVE YOU PLEASURE

Spoiler:
Been meaning to contribute to this thread for awhile so why not with a genre I've finally sunk my teeth into, dubstep.

How ya doing, buddy?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2009, 05:15 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2009, 03:15 PM 1 #178 of 201
The Builders and The Butchers - Salvation Is A Deep Dark Well
Year: 2009
Label: Bladen County Records
Genre: Indie/Folk/Roots

1. Golden And Green
2. Devil Town
3. Short Way Home
4. Barcelona
5. Hands Like Roots
6. Down In This Hole
7. Raise Up Your Weary Hands
8. Vampire Lake
9. The Wind Has Come
10. In The Branches
11. The World Is A Top

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

If Tom Waits and Johnny Cash took over a southern church choir, littered it with mandolins, banjos, acoustic bases, hand-made drums, and summoned a dance party, they might call the whole phenomenon The Builders and the Butchers. No other band will make you feel so blissfully compelled to make deals with the devil and make your hands bleed while working like a slave while thinking ever-so-faintly about digging yourself a hole to rest eternally. The follow-up to their 2007 debut is as energetic and somber as its predecessor and, yet, feels a lot more complete and theme-focused.

RAISE UP YOUR WEARY HANDS AND STAND BESIDE YOUR BROTHER

How ya doing, buddy?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2009, 01:40 AM Local time: Jul 7, 2009, 01:40 AM #179 of 201
Ed Harrison - NeoTokyo OST
Label: Unsigned
Genre: Drum & Bass/Downtempo/Ambience

1 Annul
2 Tin Soldiers
3 Beacon
4 Imbrium
5 Automata
6 Hiroden 651
9 Mechanism
10 Paperhouse
11 Footprint
12 Out
15 Scrap I/O
20 Carapace
21 Stopgap
22 Radius
23 Rebuild

NeoTokyo is a Source mod played through Steam with a future dystopian bent. Its primary influence is from Ghost in the Shell, which is evident in a lot of the model and environment design.

The game itself is mostly a pure action, counterstrike kind of affair, but it's notable because the soundtrack for the game is its own entity. You won't hear these tracks during gameplay. It is, instead, 27 tracks worth of external mood setting for the game.

Saxophone and strings meet chimes and hissing snares as one track might be mistaken for Blade Runner or Yoko Kanno, and another might be Amon Tobin. The production values are not super high for the album as a whole, but for an amateur effort, this seems like quite an accomplishment for Mr. Harrison, as it really brings out both the cyber-esque and the asian themes running under the game itself. When you listen, you can imagine crack anti-terrorism squads preparing for a mission, or engaging in counterespionage.

You might notice that the track numbers are odd for this release, but that's because this is the free version released with the mod itself. 15 tracks from the artist's original 27-- just because.
Of course, for the person who must have it all, CDbaby has the complete 2-CD album on sale for $11.

The kind of music on display here is in a painfully small genre, so even if this album tends to stand on the shoulders of giants more than it innovates, it's good enough to keep around for a while.

Favorite tracks: Beacon, Imbrium, Stopgap

Carrier established. Uplink is a go.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Skexis; Jul 7, 2009 at 01:43 AM.
wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2009, 05:36 PM 1 #180 of 201
Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions
Label: Ideologic Organ & Southern Lord
Release Date: May 18, 2009
Genre: Drone

Tracklist:
  1. Aghartha
  2. Big Church [megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért]
  3. Hunting & Gathering (Cydonia)
  4. Alice

Review:
OK, y'all. If you haven't been able to get into Sunn (and/or drone in general), this might be the album to do it. It's their drone/feedback sound, done up with orchestral (mostly wind instruments) arrangements. The result is something both heavier and darker than even the darkest moments on Black One, and even more melodic than "The Sinking Belle" off of Altar.

Most startling is the back and forth between the choir and metal in Big Church (which eventually turns into a chant; the feeling is simultaneously immensely sacrilegious and incredibly sacred), and the incredible feeling of hope brought in the minimalistic horn/trombone chords and runs at the end of Alice. Fantastic album.

Get it here

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:32 PM 1 #181 of 201
Cream - The Very Best of
Label: Polydor
Release: May 9, 1995
Genre: Blues-rock

Tracklist:
  1. Wrapping Paper
  2. I Feel Free
  3. N.S.U.
  4. Sweet Wine
  5. I'm So Glad
  6. Spoonful
  7. Strange Brew
  8. Sunshine of Your Love
  9. Tales of Brave Ulysses
  10. SWALBR
  11. We're Going Wrong
  12. White Room
  13. Sitting on Top of the World
  14. Politician
  15. Those Were the Days
  16. Born Under a Bad Sign
  17. Deserted Cities of the Heart
  18. Crossroads
  19. Anyone for Tennis
  20. Badge

Review:
Umm. Yeah. Hopefully no review is needed, as IT'S CREAM. Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce, and Ginger Baker. If you don't have these songs, go ahead and grab this album.

There will be a quiz.

Bum, bum, bum, b-bum bum (I Feel Free)

William Shatner - Has Been
Label: Shout! Factory
Release: October 5, 2004
Genre: Shatner + Ben Folds = WIN

Tracklist:
  1. Common People
  2. It Hasn't Happened Yet
  3. You'll Have Time
  4. That's Me Trying
  5. What Have You Done
  6. Together
  7. Familiar Love
  8. Ideal Woman
  9. Has Been
  10. I Can't Get Behind That
  11. Real

Review:
Well. It's William Shatner doing spoken word stuff, as is his wont. The difference between this and Transformed Man are A: no dramatic monologues from various plays, B: the only cover is of Pulp's "Common People" instead of odd arrangements of psychedelic tunes, and C: the majority of the music is written or arranged by Ben Folds (who is awesome). Shatner's voice is also much more level on this album; while Transformed Man is a great example of how something might sound good on-stage but awful when recorded and beamed straight into your ears (resulting in one of my favorite guilty-pleasure albums ever), his speech on Has Been has a fantastic flow to it. He uses it both naturally and self-parodically, depending on the general feel of the song, and occasionally one can find themselves simply relaxing into his speech. There are various guest artists on the album, including Brad Paisley (who also has writing credits for the final track), Aimee Mann, HENRY ROLLINS (fuck yes) and Lemon Jelly.

Some of the more striking tracks are the gospel-flavored "You'll Have Time," the unaccompanied poem on his wife's death "What Have You Done," and the blast of a rant shared with Rollins, "I Can't Get Behind That." All in all, it's a highly enjoyable listen.

I CAN'T GET BEHIND A FAT ASS

Fear of Pop: Volume 1
Label: 550
Release: November 17, 1998
Genre: Studio Production FUN/Pop/Experimental/Varied

Tracklist:
  1. Fear of Pop
  2. Kops
  3. Slow Jam '98
  4. In Love (feat. William Shatner)
  5. Interlude
  6. Avery M. Powers Memorial Beltway
  7. I Paid My Money
  8. Rubber Sled
  9. Root to This
  10. Still in Love (feat. William Shatner)

Review:
More Ben Folds & Shatner for you! In this case, we have some WTF musical shit going on, and, at times, it seems that Folds, John Mark Painter (of Fleming and John (and Fleming's on the album too) and Caleb Southern are playing the studio like it's a new toy. The result is fantastically fun, and extremely enjoyable... unless you go into listening to the album expecting some normal piano-pop-punk, like a lot of folks who knew Folds was involved. ANECDOTE: one of my friends, who was as much a Ben Folds Five freak as I was, absolutely hated this album when it came out, going so far as to say "fuck Fear of Pop." I disagreed.

I PAID MY MONEY, AND I'M GONNA SEE ALL THE MOVIE

Most amazing jew boots
Schadenfreude
grave danger

Member 819

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2009, 03:53 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2009, 04:53 AM 1 #182 of 201
Bohren & der Club of Gore - Black Earth
Year: 2002
Label: Wonder
Genre: ...Doom Jazz?

1. Midnight Black Earth
2. Crimson Ways
3. Maximum Black
4. Vigilante Crusade
5. Destroying Angels
6. Grave Wisdom
7. Constant Fear
8. Skeletal Remains
9. The Art of Coffins

Imagine lounge-ish jazz being played at doom metal tempos (tempi?), complete with doom metal's somewhat characteristic love of bass. Or just download this instead. Slow, (sometimes) heavy, mysterious, noir-ish and oh so very, very good. Music for dark city streets, steamy sewer gates and those lonely nights. Anyone seen Eli, Eli Lema Sabachthani? You know the opening scene? Yeah. This album. That scene. Perfect.

Imagine Khanate, sans Alan Dubin, as a jazz band: O'Malley on mellotron/rhodes/piano and Plotkin on sax. Or the other way around.

DOWNLOAD

Will upload their '08 album soon-ish.

And, oh yeah, hi GFF!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Yushiro
Able Squad, More Like Awesome Squad

Member 4745

Level 10.03

Apr 2006

Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:56 AM #183 of 201
Lacquer: Overloaded
Year: 2003
Label: BMG (France)
Genre: Electronica/House/Synth-Pop

1 The Host
2 Go With The Flow
3 Electronize
4 Behind
5 The Tosser's Song
6 Time For Yesterday
7 Sweet Forever
8 No Love
9 Strangers
10 X
11 Track 11 (<- This is the actual trackname)
12 Overloaded
13 Endless Summer
14 Behind [Armand Van Helden Mix]
15 Behind [Cosmo Vitelli Mix]

Some of you may have already been introduced to Lacquer through this video...

YouTube Video

...but this is some of the best electronica I've personally ever heard. Lacquer, aka Stephane Jounot, a French DJ, has crafted some tracks pretty much unlike anything else. Best tracks: The Host, The Tosser's Song, Behind, X, Overloaded.

GET IT...OR ELSE.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Yushiro; Aug 11, 2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Image not showing.
NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2009, 02:09 AM Local time: Aug 10, 2009, 05:39 PM 1 #184 of 201
Andrew Jackson Jihad - Can't Maintain
Label: Asian Man Records
Released: 2009
Genre: Folk-Punk

Track Listing
1. Heartilation
2. Self Esteem
3. Love in the Time of Human Papillomavirus
4. Evil
5. You Don't Deserve Yourself
6. Olde(y) Tyme(y)
7. Kazoo Sonata in C Major
8. We Didn't Come Here to Rock
9. Truckers are the Blood
10. Love Will Fuck Us Apart
11. Sense, Sensibility
12. Who are You?
13. White Face, Black Eyes

Review:
For the past couple years, I’ve heard people try to put Andrew Jackson Jihad into concise musical compartments, more often than not of their own invention. Post-folk, folk-punk and even anarcho-folk have been thrown around as descriptions. I’ve even heard them referred to as an Americana band, because though there’s something very modern American about a lot of their songs, this is a long, long way from good-‘ol-boy balladry. I’m pretty sure Woody Guthrie, however much of an influence he may have been (they previously aped a verse of his on “Survival Song,” off 2007’s People Who Can Eat People Are The Luckiest People In The World) never wrote a love song about throwing rocks at dogs.

Every band eventually grows up though, often with mixed results. With Can’t Maintain, for the first time, AJJ feel like a band that’s starting to see the beauty in all the bullshit, rather than the other way around. This evolution, unlike many for punk bands with a following like theirs, comes naturally. The last three tracks of People… showed them moving toward a more sincere (but not less ferocious, by any stretch) mode of writing. This was also apparent on their EP Only God Can Judge Me, with the track “Guilt: The Song” standing as a haunting tale of regret, spurred on by a mournful, cathartic duel between cello and slightly out-of-tune acoustic guitar.

On Can’t Maintain (the title is cribbed from the Notorious B.I.G. song “Things Done Changed”), Sean Bonnette and Ben Gallaty (the two main members amidst the rotating host of backing musicians) tap into the well of late-20s fear that has spurred some of their most beloved songs like “Growing Up” and “Candle In The Wind.” Here, that manifests itself in the form of tracks like “Self Esteem,” in which Bonnette sings about how “I’m afraid to go out in the streets/Reminders of my failure everywhere that I will be.” If there’s one overarching theme to this record, it’s the raging phobia of not having found love or success at a time when everyone around you is starting to act like we’re told adults are supposed to.

The big change that I’ve managed to get through three paragraphs without addressing is the major spike in instrumentation. Previously, you got Bonnette playing acoustic guitar, Gallaty playing the upright bass and…well, with a few exceptions, that was pretty much it. As soon as the opening electric trill of “Heartilation” kicks in, you’re very aware that AJJ aren’t in Kansas anymore. Never has a kick drum sounded so much like a revelation as it does after a few albums that sounded like they were recorded in a bathroom in single takes. Purists will likely cry foul at the presence of synthesizers on “Self Esteem,” or the twinkling bells on “We Didn’t Come Here To Rock,” but that’s the name of the game.

What’s interesting is that Asian Man Records is putting this album out, which conjures memories of another band that put out their first two records on that label, Alkaline Trio. It might seem more than a bit hyperbolic to put Can’t Maintain in the same category as Maybe I’ll Catch Fire, but I don’t think it’s nearly as inappropriate as most would think, not when both records are testaments to their respective bands hitting their stride. The difference is that while Trio arguably peaked there, AJJ seem like they’re just warming up, as evidenced by songs like “Truckers Are The Blood” and “Who Are You?,” probably two of their best songs to date.

On the former, Bonnette uses the metaphor of America as a diseased human body to paint all the wage slaves as the cure, whether it’s the truckers in the song or the punks writing it. On the latter, an ode is sung to his never-there father, but it’s atypical in that it’s a thank-you for not staying around to mess his life up. This is the central strength of the album; a lot of the lyrical territory is fairly well-worn, but every track sounds new and vital. (Yes, even the kazoo interlude in the middle.) This is a band humming with the strength of figuring out how to be young and angry without writing songs like “Fuck White People” all the time. More than anything, this is a record that leaves you salivating at what this band is going to be capable of moving forward.

Review Link

DOWNLOAD LINK

One of the best albums I have heard this year.

Seris
zzzzzz

Member 1928

Level 33.66

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2009, 09:34 PM #185 of 201
Architecture in Helsinki- Places Like This
Label: Polyvinyl
Released: Aug 21, 2007
Genre: Indie Rock

Track List:
1. Red Turned White
2. Heart it Races
3. Hold Music
4. Feather in a Baseball Cap
5. Underwater
6. Like It or Not
7. Debbie
8. Lazy (lazy)
9. Nothing's Wrong
10. Same Ol' Innocence

REVIEW

Their rock song "Same Ol' Innocence" has gotten some popularity on the radio, which is unfortunate, because that song is probably the worst example of what this band and, this album especially, represents. The songs are all up-beat, goofy, fun, and make you want to get up and dance, or sing along as loud as you can while driving your car.

Their style of music can mostly be attributed to a sort of indie theme, but it's not nearly as pretentious in sound. The band is all about feeling good and making you feel good too with its weird lyrics and funky sound. I know that after hearing this album, I had a smile on my face. Hopefully it puts one on yours, too.

DOWNLOAD NOW!

How ya doing, buddy?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2009, 10:56 PM Local time: Dec 18, 2009, 08:56 PM #186 of 201
Fashawn - Boy Meets World
Label: One Records

1. Intro
2. Freedom
3. Hey Young World (feat. Aloe Blacc & Devoya)
4. Stars
5. Life As A Shorty (feat. J.Mitchell)
6. The Ecology
7. Our Way (feat. Evidence)
8. Why
9. Samsonite Man
10. Father
11. Sunny CA (feat. Coss & Mistah Fab)
12. Bo Jackson (feat. Exile)
13. Lupita
14. When She Calls
15. Boy Meets World

At a time when the game is dominated by 30-something rappers, who wallow in repetitiveness, mediocrity and MAKINITRAINNIGGAMAKINITRAIN we sometimes forget that hip-hop is the music of the youth.

Recognized as a leader in Central California’s hip hop scene, steering a vibrant pack of young artists with his innovative style and originality in his music, twenty-year-old Fashawn is more than ready to take on the world with his debut album “Boy Meets World”. I saw this cat play to a packed house here in Visalia and got a chance to talk to him after the show when I purchased his album, which was produced entirely by Los Angeles native Exile, “’Boy Meets World’ is just a story about a kid growing up,” explains Fashawn, "Nothing more.".

This album represents that vital element, telling the story of a young man from Fresno, California (an hour north of where I am), trying to avoid poverty’s pitfalls and rise above his circumstances. On “Intro,” the album’s opening skit, young ’Shawn turns down a chance to hustle for a shot at a rap career, before bragging about his ferocious flow (“I can turn a whole metropolis into a peninsula/Ink-pen emperor, slang remain infinite”) over Exile’s chopped-up organ and swollen bass groove.

Though he’s adept at boasting (see: “Bo Jackson”), Fashawn’s real strength is his ability to articulate the inner struggles of a good kid from a bad place. “Where I’m from, brothers die every day, sunny CA/Learn the ecology on how we behave,” he spits over Exile’s dramatic string sample on “Ecology.” In sharp contrast to the album’s somber tone is “Hey Young World.” Here we have Fashawn, barely out of adolescence himself, reminding those younger than him that their dreams are within reach.

Featuring requisite guest appearances from the likes of Blu, Evidence, Planet Asia and producer Exile, Boy Meets World is a phenomenal debut from such a young MC, and it resonates a lot more strongly than the work of some rappers decades his senior.

I KNOW IT SOUNDS A LITTLE LIKE I MIGHT BE PREACHIN'
BUT AIN'T NO STAR IN THE SKY THAT AIN'T WORTH REACHIN'

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 12, 2010, 04:11 AM #187 of 201
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Year: 1991
Label: Virgin Records
Genre: Trip-Hop

1. Safe From Harm
2. One Love
3. Blue Lines
4. Be Thankful For What You've Got
5. Five Man Army
6. Unfinished Sympathy
7. Daydreaming
8. Lately
9. Hymn of The Big Wheel

------------
I'm sure most know/have heard Massive Attack's "Mezzanine" which is quite easily the best trip-hop downtempo album not by Portishead. Their debut tends to get a lot less love. It's not as dark as Mezzanine but their trip hop are a lot more apparent here. It's just as smooth and easy going as anything they've every done. I'm terrible at writing these things so here's what Daddy G had to say about recording the album:

Quote:
We were lazy Bristol twats. It was Neneh Cherry who kicked our arses and got us in the studio. We recorded a lot at her house, in her baby's room. It stank for months and eventually we found a dirty nappy behind a radiator. I was still DJing, but what we were trying to do was create dance music for the head, rather than the feet. I think it's our freshest album, we were at our strongest then.
I take a small step/ Now it's a giant stride/ People say I'm loud/ Why should I hide?

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2010, 04:38 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2010, 02:38 AM 1 #188 of 201
Foals - Antidotes
Label: Subpop

1. The French Open
2. Cassius
3. Red Socks Pugie
4. Olympic Airways
5. Electric Bloom
6. Balloons
7. Heavy Water
8. Two Steps, Twice
9. Big Big Love (Fig 2)
10. Like Swimming
11. Tron
12. (blank)
13. Hummer
14. Mathletics

It's hardly the cure for anything but Antidotes, the debut album from Oxford's Foals, is a strong addition to the eternal tradition of dance-friendly art rock most recently exemplified by Franz Ferdinand and Klaxons. The five ex-public schoolboys that make up Oxford's Foals are hardly lacking self-confidence--comically cocky frontman Yannis Phillipakis could annoy for the nation and the band rejected producer David Sitek's original mix--but Antidotes is anything but pony. After spending their youth in rigorous "math rock" outfits, Foals started out in 2005 with the stated intention of having fun. Rather delightfully, this amounted to the discovery that audiences are well disposed to acts they can dance to. A clutch of well-received singles and a guest spot on popular sixth-form satire Skins sealed their popularity. Their origins in academic rock are sometimes obvious, but fine drummer Jack Bevan keeps things moving throughout. Opener "The French Open", with its gleeful chanted vocals (in French) and fashionable Afrobeat tinged guitar lines, evokes Talking Heads' dada nonsense classic "I Zimbra", itself older than any Foal. First top thirty hit "Cassius" saw jazz-punk back in the charts for the first time since that perennial football crowd favourite "Papa's Got a Brand New Pigbag". "Olympic Airways" is a charming if oblique tale of escape that couldn't be further from the bus stop/chip shop style while "Red Socks Pugie" already sounds like a single in waiting. The lyrics might charitably be described as impressionistic and Phillipakis's voice remains nondescript. But with better tunes than Bloc Party and a self-conscious precision that recalls Mogwai in their pomp, the effortlessly pretentious Foals are unmistakably the sound of 2008.

UN PEU D'AIR SUR LA TERRE~

Delta Spirit - Ode To Sunshine
Genre: Roots/Folk

1. Tomorrow Goes Away
2. Trashcan
3. People C'mon
4. House Built for Two
5. Strange Vine
6. Streetwalker
7. People, Turn Around
8. Parade
9. Bleeding Bells
10. Children
11. Ode To Sunshine

An amplified, rocking version of '60s protest folk. The raw spirit of indie rockers the Walkmen and Spoon combined with the soulful passion of the Violent Femmes, the Waterboys and Bob Dylan. All of these comparisons have been made in attempts to describe Delta Spirit, the southern California 5-piece who might just be one of the most important new bands of the decade. Each description contains elements of the truth, but the real answer to the question "Who is Delta Spirit?" lies within Ode to Sunshine, the band's captivating debut. The group's DIY ethic shines throughout the album, with songs honed razor-sharp over a year of non-stop touring across America. Opening sold-out tours for Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Cold War Kids, and Dr. Dog, the band developed a riveting live show and gained a loyal following amongst tastemaker music fans, earning them invites to national festivals like Austin City Limits, Noise Pop and Sasquatch. So it would not be an understatement to call Ode to Sunshine one of the year's most highly-anticipated debuts. But don't take our word for it; in the words of Delta Spirit: "If you're feeling what I'm feeling come on, all you soul searching people come on."

I FINALLY FOUND A CURE FOR MY OWN CANCER

ava lilly
not a lily

Member 307

Level 16.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2010, 04:14 PM #189 of 201
School of Seven Bells
Label: Vagrant Records
Genre: Dream Pop, Shoegaze, Electronic

1 Iamundernodisguise 3:46
2 Face To Face On High Places 4:39
3 Half Asleep 4:19
4 Wired For Light 4:56
5 For Kalaja Maria 4:16
6 White Elephant Coat 4:16
7 Connjur 4:39
8 Sempiternal/Aramanth 11:23
9 Chain 4:21
10 Prince of Peace 3:05
11 My Cabal

-----

I'm not really sure what to say about them in terms of a review, but I highly recommend them. The vocalists are twin sisters that used to play in On!Air!Library! and opened for Interpol back in earlier 2000s. The guitarist apparently played in another band that opened for Interpol and upon meeting eachother they ditched their last bands and formed a new one. They have a really great ethereal sound that you just get lost in. Their style of writing is to apparently start with the lyrics, which is the absolute main focus, and everything else is just accompaniment.

!!!DOWNLOAD!!!

Lovely little album. Give it a chance!

(also if anyone wants to replace my rapidshare link to that album with something more secure, please do!)

I was speaking idiomatically.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2010, 03:47 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2010, 01:47 PM 2 #190 of 201
Ra Ra Riot - The Rhumb Line
Label: Barzuk

1. Ghost Under Rocks
2. Each Year
3. St. Peter's Day Festival
4. Winter '05
5. Dying Is Fine
6. Can You Tell
7. Too Too Too Fast
8. Oh, La
9. Suspended in Gaffa
10. Run My Mouth

Get the Flash Player to play this audio file:

Ra Ra Riot is a band I've had in my collection for a while. A friend of mine told me she saw them playing in Weehawken, NJ and told me to see their live show. I was finally able to comply last night when my sister and I saw them play at a little wine club called The Cellar Door here in Visalia and the rest, as they say, is history. They are a six-piece band from Syracuse, NY and sound like Vampire Weekend and a small chamber orchestra had glorious orgasmic sex and this was their combined result. The band hasn't had a very easy road though. Their original drummer drowned in Massachusetts and their first singer quit before their original EP (which was really the only recorded material they had for well over 2 years while they toured) was released. Still, there's something incredibly haunting about their live performance as Wes Miles voice is carried by the cello and violin with the rest of the set calmly providing a rich texture to their performance.

Much of The Rhumb Line sounds like an elegy-- though Pike co-wrote roughly half of this album's songs before his passing. "Dying Is Fine", with its ee cummings-borrowed lyrics ("Death, oh baby/ You know that dying is fine/ But maybe/ I wouldn't like death, if death was good") is sadly apropos, but it eventually explodes into an anthemic, cheery chorus. "Winter '05", set before Pike's death, is more mournful: You can hear the band's loss in the elegant, weeping strings, the descriptions of lonely cemeteries, and Wesley Miles' vocals as he sings, "If you were here/ Winter wouldn't pass quite so slow." It's rare for a band to survive the death of a key member, but Ra Ra Riot are actually thriving, turning The Rhumb Line from a potential "what could've been" record into a rousing, poignant testament to Pike's life and his former bandmates' resilience.

P.S.: I fell in love with their cellist Alexandra as well and told her as much when we hung out with them after the show and the whole band signed our copies of this album. You kind of have to see her in person to see why she's the most adorable girl I've ever laid my eyes on because, seriously, pictures don't do her justice by a lifespan. She's a tiny little firecracker who's incredibly shy until she starts pulling that bow across the cello and then it's like she disappears into a world of her own. If only to witness that again, I hope they come back here again and it's quite possible it will happen when their next album drops later on this year.

MY BED'S TOO BIG FOR JUST ME...

wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2010, 10:13 PM #191 of 201
Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
Label: Drag City
Release: February 23, 2010
Genre: Folk/Blues/Joanna Newsom

Tracklist:

Disc 1
  1. Easy
  2. Have One on Me
  3. '81
  4. Good Intentions Paving Company
  5. No Provenance
  6. Baby Birch

Disc 2:
  1. On a Good Day
  2. You and Me, Bess
  3. In California
  4. Jackrabbits
  5. Go Long
  6. Occident

Disc 3:
  1. Soft As Chalk
  2. Esme
  3. Autumn
  4. Ribbon Bows
  5. Kingfisher
  6. Does Not Suffice

Review:

I don't quite know how to describe this album. It's bluesy, it's folky, it's got some really nice jazz stuff going on, and then... she plays the harp. Not on every track; she also accompanies herself on piano at times. Her voice is softer, less harsh than on Ys that came before. Her stories still don't always make a lot of sense (I don't know if I'm quite literary enough to get all of the allusions), but I don't care.

The first disc is probably the best out of the three (but it's all still good) with the "fun" story of "Have One on Me," the catchy piano riffing and chorus of "Good Intentions Paving Company" and the gorgeous ode to an aborted fetus "Baby Birch." At least I think that's what the song's about. YMMV. Still, the rest of the album is rather enjoyable, so go on, give it a listen.

But when you come see me / In California / You cross the borders of my heart

FELIPE NO
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Jun 2, 2010, 02:54 PM Local time: Jun 2, 2010, 03:54 PM #192 of 201
Since it has been a while since I posted anything here, I figured I'd make this post a twofer.

Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
Artists: David Byrne and Brian Eno
Released: 2008
Label: Todo Mundo

This one is for anyone who enjoyed Strange Overtones in SAUS this year. This album follow in the foot steps of My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, released in 1981, which was the first full album released by Byrne and Eno under their names. Eno had contributed quite a bit to the Talking Heads as their producer, having a definite influence on the band's (and more specifically David Byrne's) style, and co-writing songs with the band.

Everything That Happens Will Happen Today is quite a departure from Eno and Byrne's prior collaborations, although their respective styles are still quite evident and recognizable. The serene quality of much of Eno's ambient work is definitely present, as is Byrne's unique way with words. A testament to the matured styles of both individuals, this album is well worth a listen.

Everything You Download You'll Download Today

Stop Making Sense [Film Soundtrack Edition]

Band: Talking Heads
Released: 1999 (album), 1984 (film)
Label: Sire

What is Stop Making Sense? If we're talking about the concert film, it's only one of the best (if not the best) concert films ever to grace a cinema screen. If were talking about the album, and this version in particular, well, it's pretty much the same thing as far as albums taken from concert films. Without a doubt, this is my favorite Talking Heads album. The setlist is incredible, the performances consistently great, and the band is in top shape. The only unfortunate incident throughout the whole thing is Genius of Love, a song by two members of the band from their other band The Tom Tom Club. I left it on here so that you could all judge for yourselves how mind-boggling it is that they actually let this get into the film, and consequently, the album. Let's not dwell on that, however, as even this little bit of a dark spot doesn't come close to succeeding in tarnishing this gem of an album.

For anyone who doesn't know the Talking Heads, there is no better way to get into their music than by giving this album a listen. And if you've played Rockband, you'll appreciate David Byrne's beat-box accompanied performance of it at the head of the album. The Talking Heads is one of the bands that helped solidify the definition of New Wave as a musical genre by departing quite markedly from the close association it had to punk. By incorporating more and more varied influences as the band matured, the Talking Heads were able to bring a new and fresh sound to just about every album they put out.

As a side-note, I'll prompt anyone who enjoys this album and has not yet seen the film from which it is derived to give it a viewing as soon as possible, as it doesn't disappoint.

I've Nothing Clever To Write Here

Happy listening!

Juggle dammit
ava lilly
not a lily

Member 307

Level 16.30

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:31 PM #193 of 201
Marina and the Diamonds: The Family Jewels
Year: 2010
Label: Chop Shop?
Genre: Indie Pop

1 Are You Satisfied?
2 Shampain
3 I Am Not a Robot
4 Girls
5 Mowgli's Road
6 Obsessions
7 Hollywood
8 The Outsider
9 Hermit the Frog
10 Oh No!
11 Rootless
12 Numb
13 Guilty

Hmmm dunno if this'll count as needing exposure (I don't listen to the radio...), but I'm digging on it recently. Her voice is like Regina Spektor and Fiona Apple and has a sound like both mixed with Florence and the Machine? Something like that. Anywho, she's fun, quirky, has some groovable tunes. I particularly like Shampain.

MARINA AND THE DIAMONDS - THE FAMILY JEWELS

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:22 AM Local time: Aug 26, 2010, 09:22 AM 1 #194 of 201
Children of Nova - The Complexity of Light
Label: Not Signed
Genre: Experimental/Prog

1. The Complexity of Light
2. Arcaedion
3. The Fall of Aphonia
4. Second Sight Blackout
5. The Order
6. We Collide

Get the Flash Player to play this audio file:

Children of Nova is an experimental/prog band from San Diego, CA and was introduced to me by one of my students during our summer Street Fighter sessions over Xbox LIVE. "The Complexity of Light" is a concept album that plants the seeds of a story written by singer Teo that's supposed to be fleshed out in future albums, much like Coheed & Cambria has done with their albums. Most of the band is still in their early 20s and, for band as young as they are, I have never heard a sound and mind like this. About the closest thing we've ever seen like them is early Mars Volta (we're talking "De-Loused In The Comatorium here) and even they needed a lot of heroin to reach the levels of songwriting that they achieved by the time "Frances The Mute" was released. Their musical timing is ridiculously tight, there's amazing guitar work and, although the falsetto vocals suggest "emo bitch boy band", the lyrics set the whole production apart and there's clearly great production at work here; especially for an album that was pretty much self-produced and independently-released. You should listen to this band because The Mars Volta doesn't sound like they're going to put out another "De-Loused In The Comatorium" any time soon and this will be your fix until that happens. And, please, if you like the music, buy the album as it's only $5 on their music store; most of you will spend multiple times that amount on internet porn anyway and you're better off supporting good music than supporting your wad on your keyboard. (It's getting crusty)

I CAN'T KEEP THEM ANYMORE

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2010, 07:46 PM Local time: Aug 26, 2010, 07:46 PM #195 of 201
Bus Stop Stallions - Don't Block It!
Genre: Funk/Soul/R&B

That beat is hot! BSS bring in the best of rhythm-fueled funk with some great trumpet, sax, and trombone work that lends a great punch to these "out on the town" tracks. You almost feel ashamed that you're not wearing a zoot suit.

This kind of sharp, blaring brass has fallen out of style from a lot of popular music, but it really is a shame when you see how the Bus Stop Stallions put it to good use. Not only does the music really shine, but their live show simply can't be missed. The band has a great personality and plays off of each other very well, doing one-offs and extended solos with little more than a glance at one another, and managing to mesh the showmanship and the dance with the music and the funk. It's really too bad the cover of the Michael Jackson song "Get On The Floor" couldn't be put on the record for obvious reasons, because it managed to redo the somewhat forgettable disco tune into a unique brass-powered pop spectacular.

If I had any complaints with the album, it would be with the band's use of chorus effects for the lead singer. He has such a prominent and clear voice, that it almost feels like it muddies the waters to change it in such an unnatural way.

It's hard not to like any track off this infectiously funky record, but a few of my favorites include: Without a Sound, Taxi Driver, The Gift, and Make Me.

Make me, make me, feel all right tonight!
(Also on CDbaby)

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Aug 31, 2010, 01:31 PM Local time: Aug 31, 2010, 11:31 AM #196 of 201
Placebo - Without You I'm Nothing
Year: 1998
Label: Virgin
Genre: Alternative Rock

1. Pure Morning
2. Brick Shithouse
3. You Don't Care About Us
4. Ask For Answers
5. Without You I'm Nothing
6. Allergic (To Thoughts Of Mother Earth)
7. The Crawl
8. Every You Every Me
9. My Sweet Prince
10. Summer's Gone
11. Scared Of Girls
12. Burger Queen/Evil Dildo

My girlfriend recently got me into this band after almost 10 years of not having listened to them. After the almost impeccable release from the bands self-titled album with Nancy Boy rocketing to the top of U.K charts the band’s drummer Robert Schultzberg left the band mid-1996 due to personal interests. Steve Hewitt, a past drummer of the band filled his position. They spent the end of 1996 and the majority of 1997 touring. Placebo was then invited to play at David Bowie’s 50th birthday leading to a guest appearance on “Without You I’m Nothing” which was released in October 1998.

Following rising to commercial success throughout Britain it was time for Placebo to burst into relentless American music scene. The band offer a darker, more mature sound on their second album providing unforgettable singles but does disappoint with a poor performance by the other songs on the album.

Musically “Without You I’m Nothing” is definitely not the album for anyone interested in amazing solos or insane fret board work instead Placebo stick to what they know best, harmony among instruments and excellent rhythms. The opener “Pure Morning” displays a terrific rhythm which is driven by thumping drums and simple electric guitar although it may be labeled by some as repetitive “Pure Morning” displays the true capability of the band and is one of the better tracks.

Although musically and vocally the band does deliver, there are some tracks that are much below Placebo’s usual standard. The poorer tracks on the album are slower and contain little instrumental and lyrical work. “Ask For Answers”, “My Sweet Prince” and “The Crawl” are some of my least favorite tracks but are still decent songs though.

The more rock influenced songs on the album are all very high quality “Brick Shithouse”, “Scared of Girls” and “Allergic” are all examples of the rockier songs, although these tracks don’t contain many great instrumental pieces or lyrics their simplicity and ideas used by the band make them some of the better tracks on the album. “Burger Queen” and “Summer’s Gone” are slower electronic influenced songs. Burger Queen is one of the albums highlights, it is a soft, calming track which really makes it a top album finisher. “Summer’s Gone” is a great track that has a very regrettable tone.

The singles off the album are my personal highlights though. “Pure Morning” and “Every You, Every Me” are both lyrically outstanding and all instruments work very well in the tracks. “You Don’t Care About Us” is a bouncy, more upbeat track that is obviously designed for commercial success. A complete contrast from that track is “Without You I’m Nothing” which is darker and more emotion, Brian Molko and David Bowie’s voices work well together in the track and promote the brooding feeling of the song.

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS BETTER

Seris
zzzzzz

Member 1928

Level 33.66

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2010, 06:00 PM #197 of 201
NEBULAR SPOOL/Exposery
Year: 2007
Genre: Electronica

TRACK LIST
1. Zombie Viking Amazone
2. The Great Coffee Escape
3. Hairstyles Of The Dead And Buried
4. I Want But I Replicant
5. Heresy
6. Swamp Women Time Ago
7. Huzun Horizon
8. Taboo
9. Slow Motion Split Second Decision
10. Tom Is Not My Friend
11. Oceanseas Of Waterterrain
12. Dementia

I'm not good at describing much of anything, but I can say with confidence that Nebular Spool is unlike any other branch of electronic you've heard. In this album--1 of 3--Exposery, it's less about sounding techno-tuned and bleepy bloopy and more about creating an atmosphere by piecing clips of melody together; what you get are actual songs, and not just noise like some electronica can be. Give this album a shot; put it on while you're doing something else, and you'll soon find yourself humming along to Huzun Horizon or Taboo or hell, just about every song. They're all catchy.

DOWNLOAD NOW!!!11

BRAD SUCKS/Out of It

TRACK LIST
1. Dropping out of School
2. Certain Death
3. Fake It
4. Bad Sign
5. There's Something Wrong
6. Gasoline
7. Total Breakdown
8. Understood by Your Dad
9. Out of It
10. You're Not Going Anywhere

Lookee here again it's another indie rock album! Here's Brad Sucks, the one man band that everyone hates. Although everyone should love him and his music instead. Brad Sucks is indie meets rock meets folk with a little bit--and I mean very little bit--of electonic mixed in to create a very... Mellow(?) sound. Without sounding too purple prosey, I would call his music "summer evening" music, because that's the kind of atmosphere I feel it sets. Download it and judge for yourself.

WHAT WOAH WHAT??? WHOA DOWNLOAD

I was speaking idiomatically.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:45 AM Local time: Nov 14, 2010, 11:45 PM 2 #198 of 201
JAZZ IN YOUR PANTS!

Soil & "PIMP" Sessions is a band that I got introduced to purely by accident. I heard some jazz over a bar's sound system while we were waiting for a band to start playing a set and I instantly wondered who they were. This was almost a year ago. As it turns out, that night someone DID tell me who it was when I was trashed and, since I didn't fucking remember, I never found out who they were until someone on GFF (Kishin, I believe), told me I should watch "Michiko to Hatchin" and the opening title ("Paraiso" from their album "6") was performed by them. Upon doing some petty research I found that the band was made up of 6 members: Shacho ("The Agitator"), Tabu Zombie (trumpet), Motoharu (saxophone), Josei (keyboards), Akita Goldman (stand-up bass) and Midorin (drums). Apparently, the band was a culmination of Sacho The Agitator and Zombie doing live jazz improv jam sessions during a DJ's set around clubs in Tokyo. Gradually the other members were brought on to texture up the sound and the band line up was finally cemented when the DJ sets were dropped in 2003. By 2009, they had 5 albums recorded and a 6th on the way when they managed to squeeze into an anime soundtrack and subsequently start to gain some much-deserved international recognition.

I don't even truly know how to explain a band like Soil & "PIMP" Sessions. A lot of my kids walk into my office or lounge while I'm spinning this stuff on my computer and they say, "You like jazz?" and you WANT to say, "THIS IS NOT JAZZ, YOU LITTLE SHIT. THIS IS AN EARGASM AND YOU'RE A WASTE OF SPACE IF YOU DON'T REALIZE IT!!!". Of course, we live in the real world and the best you can muster is, "Man, this isn't jazz, this is something else entirely. I mean, it has the structure, parts and improvisational feel of jazz but this kind of energy is something that only a country like Japan can produce." After all, these are the same people who invented tentacle porn.

Little by little, they cultivated what can only be described as a nuclear explosion of energetic music and to dismiss them as modern jazz is pretty much missing the point. Kenny G plays "modern jazz". Soil & "PIMP" Sessions stages cosmic-level audible orgasms and, sadly, most of you petty humans are too wrapped up drooling at MTV's "reality" lineup while some guido cocksucker points at his chest while drinking Jagerbombs; your musical orgasm being forever unreachable by your pathetic pattern-maintaining, gossip-gorged lives.

But don't listen to me. I'm an asshole. Listen to the music instead:

(Click the album covers to download)

Soil & "PIMP" Sessions - PIMPIN'
Year: 2004
Label: Victor Japan
Genre: JAZZ IN YOUR PANTS

1. Intro 0:49
  2. Fuller Love 6:14
  3. Wives And Lovers 5:44
  4. Harbor 4:32
  5. First Lady 4:36
  6. Pimpnosis 2:02
  7. Mature 6:30
  8. J.D.F 2:54
  9. 16 Blues 5:15
  10. CARNAVAL 1:16
  11. Satsuriku no Theme 1:12

------

Soil & "PIMP" Sessions - Pimp Master
Year: 2005

1. No Taboo 3:39
  2. Filter 0:07
  3. Suffocation 3:44
  4. Stinger 4:26
  5. Waltz For Goddess 4:27
  6. Avalanche 5:42
  7. A Wheel Within A Wheel 6:50
  8. J.D.F. # 2:42
  9. Low Life 3:51
  10. No Matter 1:06
  11. Mo' Better Blues 5:35
  12. Wasted Time 5:31
  13. Master of Pimp 0:52
  14. --- 1:14

------

Soil & "PIMP" Sessions - Pimp of The Year
Year: 2006

1. Memai 4:10
  2. Summer Goddess 4:44
  3. Worldwide 5:01
  4. Crush! 3:40
  5. Sabotage 4:36
  6. Scoop Out 3:59
  7. Sahara 7:04
  8. Ha Hen 6:18
  9. The Black Widow Blues 4:09
  10. The White Widow 1:35
  11. i-rony 4:21
  12. Last Long 4:23
  13. Satsuriku New Wave 2:52
  14. Need For Speed 3:14

------

Soil & "PIMP" Sessions - Pimpoint
Year: 2007
Label: Brownswood

1. Dawn 4:57
  2. Aie 5:02
  3. マクロケ 2:40
  4. マシロケ 4:28
  5. We Want More!!!!!! 3:56
  6. Zambezi 5:41
  7. Red Clay 6:12
  8. Hype Of Gold 5:56
  9. Pluto 5:27
  10. The Party 2:51
  11. Funky Goldman 3:57
  12. Slaughter Suite 3:52
  13. Scales 4:54

------

Soil & "PIMP" Sessions - Planet Pimp

1. I.N.T.R.O. 0:49
  2. Hollow 4:45
  3. STORM 3:39
  4. Fantastic Planet 3:29
  5. GO NEXT! 4:58
  6. Darkside 4:41
  7. Sea of Tranquility 4:05
  8. The world is filled by... 4:24
  9. Khamasin 6:26
  10. Struggle 8:53
  11. ミンガスファンクラブ 1:03
  12. Mars 6:06
  13. SATSURIKU Rejects 3:03
  14. Sorrow 4:29

------

Soil & "PIMP" Sessions - 6
Label: Brownswood

1. Seven-Intro Sound Collage by Djkentaro 2:59
  2. Keizoku 2:59
  3. Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag 6:10
  4. My Foolish Heart Crazy in Mind 4:31
  5. Double Trouble 1:14
  6. Pop Korn 4:05
  7. Quartz and Chronometer 5:25
  8. Paraiso 3:48
  9. My Foolish Heart Crazy on Earth 4:22
  10. Mirror Boy 6:10
  11. Stolen Moments Feat Jamie Cullum 7:29
  12. After the Party 4:20
  13. Satsuriku to Heiwa 4:42

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:52 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2010, 08:52 PM #199 of 201
The Gits - Enter: The Conquering Chicken
Year: 1993
Label: Broken Rekids
Genre: Punk/Alternative

1. Bob (Cousin O.)
  2. Guilt Within Your Head
  3. Seaweed
  4. A Change Is Gonna Come
  5. Precious Blood
  6. Beauty Of The Rose
  7. Drunks
  8. Italian Song
  9. Social Love I
  10. Social Love II
  11. Spear And Magic Helmet
  12. Drinking Song
  13. Sign Of The Crab

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The Gits are a punk/alternative rock band from Ohio but really made their mark in the late 80's/early 90's grunge scene of Seattle, WA. I was introduced to them by my girlfriend who watched a documentary about them a while back. They independently recorded one album and, after much gigging and gathering a following for their highly-reputed rowdy live shows, they recorded this album right around the time that they would have been looking to be signed to a major record label. Sadly, tragedy struck one night when their Singer Mia Zapata was raped and murdered one night in 1993 on her way home and the band disbanded soon afterwards. The album cover is a painting of Mia painted by a friend of the band and the album was released posthumously.

Budgie - Never Turn Your Back On A Friend
Year: 1973
Label: MCA
Genre: Metal

1. Breadfan
  2. Baby Please Don't Go
  3. You Know I'll Always Love You
  4. You're The Biggest Thing Since Powdered Milk
  5. In The Grip Of A Tyrefitter's Hand
  6. Riding My Nightmare
  7. Parents

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Often thought of as a cross between Black Sabbath (due to their plodding, molten-heavy riffs) and Rush (due to their singer's high-pitched, Geddy Lee-esque wail), the somewhat obscure British metal outfit Budgie has influenced countless outfits, despite enduring countless lineup shifts throughout their history. The group originally formed in 1967 in Cardiff, Wales, comprised of members Burke Shelley (vocals, bass), Tony Bourge (guitar), and Raymond Phillips (drums), and by the early '70s, they'd inked a deal with MCA Records. This is probably their best known album and a lot of you have probably heard Metallica's cover of the opening song "Breadfan" from their "Garage Inc." album.

Rain - Rain
Year: 1972
Label: Sunbeam Records
Genre: Proggressive/Psychedelic

1. Can You Help Me Sing My Song
  2. To A Dreamer
  3. Mother's Evil Child
  4. Love Me Still
  5. All Your Days Are Long
  6. Let Our Hopes Run Our Dreams
  7. Song To Barbara
  8. You Take Me Higher
  9. He Could Have Known
  10. As I Played My Song (For You)

Recorded in 1971, but straddling the decade just past, the Philadelphian quartet’s free-flowing mood swings charted a gentle path—often within the same song—from the sun-kissed psych-pop harmonies of the mid-’60s to early dalliances with the dark forces of progressive rock. This sole album is a lost classic touching on power-pop, progressive rock, folk and psychedelia, boasting glorious melodies, harmony vocals and superb musicianship. Recorded under the aegis of the legendary Enoch Light in New York, it was barely released but has gone on to acquire a major cult reputation. Thanks to Sunbeam Records, this album has found a new home on record shelves everywhere.

Various Artists - The Funky Precedent
Year: 1999
Label: No Mayo Records

1. Triple Optics (Live Funky Precedent Mix) - Dilated Peoples
  2. Concrete Schoolyard (Funky Precedent Edit) - Jurassic 5
  3. Musically Inclined - Abstract Rude & Tribe Unique
  4. S.N.T. (Live At Peacepipe) - Cut Chemist And Miles
  5. Journey To Anywhere (With Piano Bar Intro) - Ugly Duckling
  6. The Audition - DJ Rhettmatic Of The World Famous Beat Junkies
  7. Getcho Soul Together - The Breakestra
  8. Cumbia De Los Muertos - Ozomatli
  9. Building - Blk Sonshine
  10. To The Outside - Damon Aaron
  11. Good Vibrations - Miles
  12. Ambiguous Figures - Styles Of Beyond
  13. Make It Plain - Divine Styler
  14. Project Bliznaiznowed - Aceyalone
  15. Get Sober - Black Eyed Peas
  16. Save The Music - Myka Of Freestyle Fellowship

This is an album I've been promising sprout I'd upload for him to prove to him that there was, indeed, a time when Black Eyed Peas didn't suck flaccid donkey schlong, that they once stood for something other than being superfluous, repetitive, greedbags and that, once a woman is involved in anything (like when that cunt Fergie joined them), it goes to shit. (THAT'S RIGHT I SAID IT WHAT) An outstanding compilation of Los Angeles-based hip-hop, Afro-soul, and funkdafied jazz, The Funky Precedent is more than just your run-of-the-mill underground comp. Its talent and diversity of sound captures the myriad styles of music that runs through L.A.'s Southland, from the rebellious riddims of Afro-Latin fusionists Ozomatli to the resurrected hardcore funk of Breakestra to the old-school/new-school hip-hop meld of Divine Styler. An album designed to appeal to more than just deep-underground heads, The Funky Precedent personifies L.A.'s past, present, and future. Its proceeds originally went to fund music programs in Mission High School in San Francisco and Freemont High School and Manchester Elementary School in Los Angeles.

FELIPE NO
Jinn
Thief of Tazmily

Member 260

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2011, 02:40 AM Local time: Mar 31, 2011, 01:40 AM #200 of 201
Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
Indie Folk

That's right, folks. It's here. The time has come. You can all be glad to be alive again.

Okay, the above may be a bit of an overstatement, considering that I don't know whether everyone around here listens to Fleet Foxes or not, but for all of you who do, you know what an amazing band they are. For those of you who don't, grab their Sun Giant EP and Self Title, then give this baby a spin. You'll thank yourself in the end. You will find such a soothing, inspiring, masterful, earthy, and epic sound waiting for you if you do.

For all of you who've already been acquainted with these fellas, let me tell you that Helplessness Blues has all the articulate beauty and irresistible draw that the self title had and then some. It's hard to hear at first, truth be told, but once you give the album a play through or two, you'll find that it may even surpass its incredible predecessor. The lyrics are taken a step further, the layers of sound are far more complex, and the harmonies leave nothing to be desired. One of my favorite albums in quite some time.

Anyway, I've gushed enough. Just grab it. It will make you love the world again~

FLEET FOXES!

Oh shit.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Gamingforce Music Exposure Club™