Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Being yourself? or just acting like you are in order to fit in?

SpaceMonk
Syklis Green

Member 26180

Level 6.69

Nov 2007

Old Jun 18, 2008, 01:14 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2008, 01:14 PM #1 of 25
Being yourself? or just acting like you are in order to fit in?

Currently I am involve in this Clinical study where there's not much to do but sleep, eat, read, board games, and watch movies, and something came to my mind.

Try to think about when you are around people, whether it be with friends, family, or random people. When you are socializing with people, try to socialize with a sense and awareness of your emotions and actions. Are you being absolutely yourself or do you tend to act in a way in favor of the other party to fit in?

I try to be myself, but it's hard because I want people to like me and I feel sometimes I have play in favor of others (which sometimes goes against myself). The key is to notice the behavior and try to practice and better yourself.

Here's a cool quote to live by "I rather be like by people for who I am than be liked by people for pretending to be someone that I am not"

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by SpaceMonk; Jun 18, 2008 at 01:49 PM.
Penis Overflow
Banned

Member 30995

Level 5.11

Jun 2008

Old Jun 18, 2008, 02:01 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2008, 02:01 PM #2 of 25
As the ending to Evangelion implies:
Spoiler:

'Nuff said.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2008, 03:32 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2008, 02:32 PM #3 of 25
Currently I am involve in this Clinical study where there's not much to do but sleep, eat, read, board games, and watch movies, and something came to my mind.

Try to think about when you are around people, whether it be with friends, family, or random people. When you are socializing with people, try to socialize with a sense and awareness of your emotions and actions. Are you being absolutely yourself or do you tend to act in a way in favor of the other party to fit in?

I try to be myself, but it's hard because I want people to like me and I feel sometimes I have play in favor of others (which sometimes goes against myself). The key is to notice the behavior and try to practice and better yourself.

Here's a cool quote to live by "I rather be like by people for who I am than be liked by people for pretending to be someone that I am not"
As the ending to Evangelion implies:
Spoiler:

'Nuff said.
These might be the worst back to back posts I've read in months. Of course you make a certain amount of concessions when you deal with other people. That's called being social. If all you do is stand on a soap box and beat your chest about your own outlooks and beliefs, not only will no one want to be around you, but you'll be a complete berke in the process.

And Sane, for your sake, I hope you're kidding.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Penis Overflow
Banned

Member 30995

Level 5.11

Jun 2008

Old Jun 18, 2008, 07:54 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2008, 07:54 PM 4 #4 of 25
What, you couldn't tell?

I could analyze your post and find the obvious flaws to your argument, but you're not worthy of the time, honestly.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Izlude
Fuck you.

Member 1761

Level 10.53

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2008, 08:56 PM #5 of 25
After years of working with people, I've found that although at first I had to try to behave a particular way to fit in with a certain group of people/perform my job better, as time went on that behavior eventually became normal for me.

In simpler terms, behave one way for long enough and it's likely that it will become habit for you and you won't have to try any more.

Most amazing jew boots
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:26 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2008, 09:26 PM #6 of 25
What, you couldn't tell?

I could analyze your post and find the obvious flaws to your argument, but you're not worthy of the time, honestly.
No, I can't tell with you. Because your "good" posts are much the same as your "deliberately bad" posts. You're not an idiot. We get it. Quit trying so hard.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:28 PM 2 #7 of 25
I like the "I'm playing, can't you tell?" argument. Always loved that one.

Anyways, yea. I think one of my major flaws is not bending for societal reasons. If I don't feel like I can be myself at some social gathering or whatever, I avoid the situation. I don't know how to not be me. This is not a very good thing I suppose. I recognize that I need to be more malleable in certain situations where I can't control what's going on. It's something I work on all the time.

I guess I have a really stubborn personality - I really don't change much with a crowd. I love a good laugh and I love to watch people and interact, just so long as I'm not uncomfortable.

FELIPE NO
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:36 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2008, 01:06 AM 1 #8 of 25
If you can't be yourself especially in social surroundings then why bother existing in the first place. If people can not truly accept you for who you truly are then your only denying yourself.

For the longest time I've always cared about what other people thought of me, to the point that in social situations I would literally change myself only to be better received by everyone else. I realized that I was only lying to myself and even if these people had liked me in a lot of these social gatherings it was all a complete lie.

Within these last few years I came to the realization that if people can't accept me for who I am, they can go fuck themselves for all I care. I can understand if people want to change their personalities if they want to get ahead in life or things along those lines. If anyone takes the time to know me, then they're going to know the real me and not some shallow copy of myself.

I would rather accomplish things in my life without compromising the person I truly am. No matter what people think of me I'll always respect their opinion, because not everybody is going to like you, I'd rather people form their opinions on my true personality.

I'm getting married, I have a great job, and I have really good friends and this all happened because I've never felt I had to change myself.

Overall. I personally believe you'll be better rewarded if you stay true to yourself whether or not your in a social situation.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2008, 05:32 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2008, 10:32 AM #9 of 25
I think the saying is something like, "Thank god there's starch in your shirt or there'd be nothing holding you up." I am a complete pushover and far too eager to impress and please people, to the point where I deny aspects of myself to make it so. Maybe that's me. What a conundrum. I'm working on just being myself, but it's very difficult when you're afraid people will hate you for the tiniest deviation from their own norms.

It's not so much of an issue with people who I've known for a good while, but when I'm meeting people for the first time I keep my mouth shut when I disagree or have something different to say because I'm that afraid of being hated. The irony of this being that I believe people generally dislike me anyway, so there isn't much point in it.

Last edited by Bernard Black; Jun 19, 2008 at 05:35 AM.
SpaceMonk
Syklis Green

Member 26180

Level 6.69

Nov 2007

Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:04 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2008, 11:04 AM #10 of 25
What a conundrum. I'm working on just being myself, but it's very difficult when you're afraid people will hate you for the tiniest deviation from their own norms.
Wow! I know exactly what you are talking about. There's sometimes this fear that I have of new and old friends of mine that they will someday hate me if I really decide to just be 100% the self I feel is me, and maybe they will be ok with it and maybe not.

People tell me that with friends that shallow they were never friends to begin with or not even worth your time if they are like that. It's like someone else said in this thread, "not everyone is going to like you" and that's ok, it's just that for some people (including me), it's sometimes hard to deal with the mind thinking too much and just letting it go, learning from the experience, and move on.

Magus-Cie
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 31014

Level 3.52

Jun 2008

Old Jun 19, 2008, 01:55 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2008, 10:55 AM #11 of 25
I find that when first meeting a group of new people I will unconsciously copy a few of their mannerisms and habits out of...I dunno, social preservation? But as time goes on I assert more of myself and less of them.

At the same time though, this makes looking for friends/relationships a bit easier since if I find someone who I don't do this with, either I don't like them at all or they are a great deal similar to me.

I don't know if that is actually understandable or not...I'm quite tired...

SpaceMonk
Syklis Green

Member 26180

Level 6.69

Nov 2007

Old Jun 19, 2008, 08:52 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2008, 08:52 PM #12 of 25
I find that when first meeting a group of new people I will unconsciously copy a few of their mannerisms and habits out of...I dunno, social preservation? But as time goes on I assert more of myself and less of them.

At the same time though, this makes looking for friends/relationships a bit easier since if I find someone who I don't do this with, either I don't like them at all or they are a great deal similar to me.
You make a very good point! I think we all do this to some extinct, some more than others. I think a person's ability to recognize the behavior in others as well as in themselves and choosing what to do with that knowledge greatly varies the degree of an individual confidence, self-esteem, and self identity.

I'm going to change my mind on the idea of "being yourself". I am not going to deny anyone of who they feel they are. The idea of one person of self is of being independent amongst others or seeing themselves as being a part of others, maybe a little of both, or whatever you believe who you are in respect to others or not or maybe it's not something you concentrate on at all; I feel it's too constricting and one dimensional.

With this being said. I want to put this out there again that no matter who you think, feel, and believe you are, others may not feel the same way, for some it doesn't affect them, we brush it off and move on, for others it causes us to reevaluate ourselves, question our actions and beliefs.

Anyways, I think your way of handling things is very good. It's a balancing act , the more you work on it the better you get and in time it's something you don't have to think so much about.

Penis Overflow
Banned

Member 30995

Level 5.11

Jun 2008

Old Jun 27, 2008, 06:28 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2008, 06:28 PM #13 of 25
To avoid being all philosophical and running all my own arguments into piles of shit I'll simply state what I believe in:

The very act of acting differently towards different people is completely natural. These are all parts of who you are, because you are defined by your actions. You probably act differently towards your parents than you do towards your close friends, and certainly much different towards strangers. But all of which still define who you are, therefore, you is a dynamic variable with no set boundaries. There is no set definition of who you are, because no one truly knows. Sure, you may know what you are right now, but right at this very second that person you are is now a person you used to be, for time is always continuing ever so slowly... And you eventually will forget many of the actions that used to be you; but that doesn't mean they aren't you, because everything you are is composed of in the past. Over the course of your lifetime you are consistently composing yourself to be (hopefully) a better version of you. It is only after you die that what you are, in the sense of this lifetime, is a constant.

However, if you compose yourself with actions that are contrary to who you are, the very fact that you did this becomes who you are because a large part of who you are is whether your actions are constant with each other. Acting only involves what other people see your actions are composed of. Actions, on the other hand, is broader; they compose of the things that not only other people see, but the actions only you see, the most important of all being thought. If your acting and your actions become contradictions, you become a contradiction, and you will come to eventually loathe yourself if this conflict of self-interest does not end.

I'll put these two paragraphs into two sentences:

It is impossible to not be yourself, but it is possible to contradict yourself. They have a term for these kinds of people: inconsistent.

So what Sass sees in herself as being stubborn I see as being consistent and self-loving. And I actually admire her for that.

I was speaking idiomatically.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2008, 06:41 PM 2 #14 of 25
To avoid being all philosophical and running all my own arguments into piles of shit
swing an' a miss!

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jun 29, 2008, 09:57 AM Local time: Jun 30, 2008, 12:57 AM #15 of 25
lol yeh shunjy woz kewl ^_^

FELIPE NO
Janus X
Stupid Frog

Member 31258

Level 6.95

Jul 2008

Old Jul 28, 2008, 03:04 PM Local time: Jul 28, 2008, 02:04 PM #16 of 25
I am myself most of the time... which often causes problems. My ''directness'' can be tough to take for many people. I can make ennemies that way, but i prefer that to be someone i am not

Lost_solitude
stop stealing my "me time"

Member 2164

Level 13.85

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2008, 02:21 PM Local time: Aug 6, 2008, 09:21 AM #17 of 25
I always be myself. If you stick to that you will find people who have things in common with you so if someone doesn't then oh well I wasn't put on this earth to impress them.

Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2008, 02:29 PM Local time: Aug 6, 2008, 12:29 PM #18 of 25
When I was in high school, I started out trying to conform to those around me, but by the last few years, it left a bad taste in my mouth. I realized that trying to fit in with the people around me is mostly a bad thing since they are usually fucking stupid, or nothing like me.

Not that I don't like being liked, but I've decided that if you don't really care for how I am when I'm being myself, then we're probaly both better off just staying away from each other.

Layz2504
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 31681

Level 1.34

Sep 2008

Old Sep 7, 2008, 01:53 PM #19 of 25
well, you probably act a little different than you might otherwise around different people. Try not to curse or whatnot around kids, don't talk about sex around your parents, if something makes your friend uncomfortable you avoid that topic near 'em, stuff like that.

As for the "your real friends'll accept you" or "they aren't worth your time if they odn't accept you"- if nobody accepts you, there comes a point where you gotta wonder if maybe there's reason to change how you act.

nanashiusako
Good Chocobo

Member 4749

Level 17.91

Apr 2006

Old Mar 22, 2009, 09:10 PM #20 of 25
I feel that I've always basically been myself while making minor changes to my mannerisms or my way of speech, depending on who I'm with. I'll curse my head off around my friends, but try not to do so in front of my parents or kids. I also think everyone hates me anyway, and I'm so unbearably shy that it's really hard for me to make friends in the first place... Oh, well.

elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2009, 03:37 AM Local time: Mar 26, 2009, 03:37 AM #21 of 25
I'm generally true to myself, but of course, I have to be more polite and conscious of my mannerisms when dealing with certain groups of people, such as strangers, co-workers, professors, employers, and the such. I mean, you won't catch me making popping noises saying "Zoink!" in front of an employer, but at any other time, I most certainly will. As far as social situations in front of my peers are concerned, I've learned that if I have to conform to gain acceptance, it's not even worth it in the long run. Never ends well. Furthermore, if anything, I can't stand it when people just agree agree agree, regardless of what their true opinions are. The most boring ones are the ones who express no opinion of their own.

Now, I do act a bit differently in front of certain people. I've often been accused of acting "fake" in front of friends and being a different way at home. This isn't true at all. Different people bring out different parts of my personality. I'm sillier in front of friends because we play off each other's retardedness, whereas at home, this aspect hits a brick wall. It's just not fun to act that way at home, so while I still do it, it's considerably less obnoxious.

How ya doing, buddy?
xrgtr
Wark!

Member 16756

Level 2.00

Dec 2006

Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:09 PM #22 of 25
For me, sometimes it's very hard to be "myself". In certain classes of the school I go to, due to some of my classmates being... well, not very nice, I'm very silent. Normally, I am usually observing if not actually engaging in conversation with my friends. I guess I could agree with elwe on that part, although I was never accused of being "fake" in front of people.

ziggythecat
I like Chocolate Milk

Member 8650

Level 10.49

Jun 2006

Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:43 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2009, 10:43 PM #23 of 25
I'm not going to lie. I barely even know who I am. I'm not sure how to be true to "myself". i have things I stand up for but i regularly pick my battles. i guess with me the only thing that's for sure is that nothing's for sure. other than the fact that i think boobs are awesome. i doubt anyone will be able to change my mind on that.

FELIPE NO
I like your booty but I'm not gay.
LiveTendiser
Holdin Strong

Member 5978

Level 6.41

Apr 2006

Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:46 PM #24 of 25
You have to balance both. I know in many situations, I can't be myself because the atmosphere and environment won't permit it.

With my friends, I'm myself. With superiors, I conform to the code of conduct. After a while, you get used to it and it becomes second nature to switch your presentation.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Being yourself? or just acting like you are in order to fit in?