Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 193 Voting/WEEK 194 Nominating

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2009, 06:24 PM Local time: Dec 8, 2009, 04:24 PM #1 of 20
Song of the Week - WEEK 193 Voting/WEEK 194 Nominating

Song of the Week. 175 Weeks and counting.
Week 193 Voting is closed.
Week 194 Nominating is closed.

Results:
1). [21] Neotokyo - Annul
2). [20] Aion (Game Rip) - The Still, Sad World
3). [14] dodonpachi DAI-OU-JOU [arrange album] - Mixed Melody (Stage 4)
4). [10] Scarlett Reservation Special CD - -United States 70's-
5). [8] Iji soundtrack - Organ Smash
6). [6/6] Choukou Gasshin Xardion - Ending
7). [6/4.5] Sing!! Street Fighter II Instrumental Version - masked narcissist [BALROG]
8). [5] #ModArchive Story (Game Rip) - Music Madness - Part 1

Tracks:
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Aion (Game Rip) - The Still, Sad World
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Choukou Gasshin Xardion - Ending
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: dodonpachi DAI-OU-JOU [arrange album] - Mixed Melody (Stage 4)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Iji soundtrack - Organ Smash
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: #ModArchive Story (Game Rip) - Music Madness - Part 1
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Neotokyo - Annul
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Scarlett Reservation Special CD - -United States 70's-
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Sing!! Street Fighter II Instrumental Version - masked narcissist [BALROG]

Voting Rules:
Voters must distribute 6 points among the 8 nominees, giving points to at least 3 songs, giving no song more than 3 points, and giving no more than one of their choices 3 points. Possible ways of voting include:
Spoiler:
"Traditional"
Song1 - 3 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 1 pt.

"Even Stevens"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 2 pts.

"Tough Decision"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.

"Nomination Bias"
Song1 - 3 pts.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.

"Indecisive"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.
Song5 - 1 pt.

"Shotgun Spread"
Song1 - 1 pt.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.
Song5 - 1 pt.
Song6 - 1 pt.

Notes:
Please remember to upload your nominations to the SotW server! Uploaded noms mean a faster, smoother SotW experience for everyone. Server information:
Spoiler:
* Host: ftp.sotw.info
* Username: nominations@sotw.info (that is the actual username; not an e-mail address)
* Password: gff
* Port: 21

Week 194 Nominating:
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Undertale (PC, 2015)

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Dec 14, 2009 at 04:38 AM.
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:18 AM Local time: Dec 9, 2009, 01:18 PM #2 of 20
Here's a regular week nomination:

* Album Title: .hack//G.U. GAME MUSIC O.S.T.2
* Artist: Chikayo Fukuda
* Track Title: Blue Sky Town DolòDona
* Source: http://vgmdb.net/album/4216
* File Location: Nominations folder
* Disc Number: 1 (of 2)
* Track Number: 5
* Catalogue Number: VICL-62289~90
* Year: 2007

And votes for this week:

(3 points) Neotokyo - Annul
Terrific, terrific piece. Couldn't help but check out the mod's trailer. Very nice.

(2 points) Iji soundtrack - Organ Smash
Nice upbeat track. I really like how it flows.

(1 point) dodonpachi DAI-OU-JOU [arrange album] - Mixed Melody (Stage4)
Very promising with some very cool sections. But development can be odd at times. A bit of waste.

Special mentions for Aion.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I think therefore I am... I think.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:45 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2009, 08:45 PM #3 of 20
My previously mentioned nomination reinstated:

=== Kaleb.G ===
* Album: PHANTASY STAR ONLINE Blue Burst EPISODE IV SOUND TRACK
* Artist: Hideaki Kobayashi
* Composer: ---
* Disc #: 1 of 1
* Track #: 02
* Track Title: Nostalgia in Solitude -PART1-
* Catalogue Number: N/A
* Year: 2005
* Additional Info: I finally found somewhere to buy this awesome album. Too bad it costed a fortune.
* Source: N/A: Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst Episode IV Sound Track - VGMdb, #gamemp3s
* File Location: nom folder

This will be for week 196 so it doesn't clash with Yuletide (unless you wanna bump me up to week 194 ;}).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2009, 02:10 PM #4 of 20
Aion (Game Rip) - The Still, Sad World Anybody who's read even a handful of my SotW posts shoudl know that this is the sort of thing that does it for me every time. Piano, ghostly vocals, great melody--it's all there. I can't beleive they left this off the official OST, but it was worth combing through all 4GB of the game rip to find.

Choukou Gasshin Xardion - Ending Nicely dark and textured music, even if the melody leaves a little to be desired.

dodonpachi DAI-OU-JOU [arrange album] - Mixed Melody (Stage 4) Mixed melody is right. I was really digging the piano intro, but the song becomes a lot more conventional after that. It does pick up after a bit, though it never really finds an equilibrium.

Iji soundtrack - Organ Smash Eh.Grungy guitar and electro-organ don't really do much for me. Even the cowbell can't add a lot of interest.

#ModArchive Story (Game Rip) - Music Madness - Part 1 I like the melody and structure, but this chiptune sounds seriously out of tune, like the recording was screwed up or something. It's also not looped with a hard cutoff, and I think I noticed some volume artifacts too.

Neotokyo - Annul Interesting, with trance-style electronics set against slightly bizarre children chanting and vaguely operatic moaning. The vocal effects are neat, but I'm not sure how much they can carry the rest of the song.

Scarlett Reservation Special CD - -United States 70's- I didn't experience the United States 70's, but this sounds close enough I guess.

Sing!! Street Fighter II Instrumental Version - masked narcissist [BALROG] Never really cared for the whole Street Fighter thing. This vaguely latin piece does at least have a good beat and keyboarding, though.

Good week. There was something to like about almost all the music.

The Point Spread
Aion - 3 pts.
Xardion - 1 pt.
DAI-OU-JOU - 1 pt.
Neotokyo - 1 pt.

Om Nom Nom
* Album Title: EA Playground Game Soundtrack
* Artist: Darrell Brown
* Track Title: Buggin' NB
* Source: EA Playground - VGMdb
* Disc Number: 1
* Track Number: 1
* Year: 2008

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2009, 02:13 PM #5 of 20
An interesting week, but even the top tracks never reach the highs I was hoping for.

(3 points) Neotokyo - Annul: This one's a moody little number. Love the heavier bass elements in this. The voicework in the piece ends up being a plus, though I was in doubt about that listening the first time through.

(2 points) Aion (Game Rip) - The Still, Sad World: Definite elements of Star-Stealing Girl in here. Very lovely piano and orchestral work. The whispering voices effect is only tolerable at its lowest volume, and I'm glad it fades out halfway through.

(1 point) dodonpachi DAI-OU-JOU [arrange album] - Mixed Melody (Stage 4): An interesting pastiche of elements (and a little piano to boot). Like all the tracks this week, it never seems to fully hit its stride.

As for the rest:
Frankly, there have been better versions of Vega's theme (and I've practically heard them all), but masked narcissist has redeeming qualities. Mysterious elements and some judicious string synths make Ending a decent track. United States 70's retains the feel of the spy themes of the era, but it's a little too scattershot. My main beef with Organ Smash lies with its sample selection. Music Madness simply isn't my cup of tea.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Stalky
I think not.

Member 24973

Level 10.75

Sep 2007

Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:10 AM Local time: Dec 12, 2009, 04:10 PM #6 of 20
Voting:
3 Points: Neotokyo - Annul
2 Points: Aion (Game Rip) - The Still, Sad World
1 Point: dodonpachi DAI-OU-JOU [arrange album] - Mixed Melody (Stage 4)

Looks familiar...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2009, 03:35 AM Local time: Dec 13, 2009, 01:35 AM #7 of 20
1 point: Aion (Game Rip) - The Still, Sad World
1 point: Choukou Gasshin Xardion - Ending
1 point: dodonpachi DAI-OU-JOU [arrange album] - Mixed Melody (Stage 4)
1 point: Neotokyo - Annul
1 point: Scarlett Reservation Special CD - -United States 70's-
1 point: Sing!! Street Fighter II Instrumental Version - masked narcissist [BALROG]

what the hell is going on in music madness oh god my brain (is that section starting at 0:27 where the volume gets softer for absolutely no reason intentional)

I really ought to listen to that Xardion arrange album some time (I have a nomination from the original game audio planned, after all).

FELIPE NO
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Stalky
I think not.

Member 24973

Level 10.75

Sep 2007

Old Dec 13, 2009, 05:18 AM Local time: Dec 13, 2009, 11:18 AM #8 of 20
Nomination:
Album/Game Title: Far Cry (PC Game Rip)
Artist: Thomas Baertschi
Track Title: Menu Music
Year: 2004
Source: Game credits, IGN
Notes: It's sadly the only track in the game that is more than a one minute loop

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2009, 06:06 AM Local time: Dec 13, 2009, 09:06 PM #9 of 20
The score to Aion is wonderful, and Aion (Game Rip) - The Still, Sad World is a solid choice to nominate for SotW. It's exceptionally poignant and has a strong, epic film sound to it. The only drawback for me is that it tends to be a bit static at times, though to the song's credit the emotion is sustained throughout on a very palpable level.

In an unfortunate case of circumstance, Choukou Gasshin Xardion - Ending just doesn't come across as particularly engrossing after the Aion offering. Tanaka almost always gets the benefit of the doubt from me, but I'm afraid this here piece doesn't do anything for me.

Not being familiar with any dodonpachi music (:O I know!), I didn't know what to expect from dodonpachi DAI-OU-JOU [arrange album] - Mixed Melody (Stage 4). Can't say I came away from it impressed, nor did it leave any impression or melody with me. It's a well produced track with a slick sound, but isn't really my style.

So my face after listening to Iji soundtrack - Organ Smash was something like O_______+. It's incredibly chaotic, incredibly messy and a huge turnoff. I can see why some people would like this one, but it definitely ain't my cup of tea!

#ModArchive Story (Game Rip) - Music Madness - Part 1 borders on the annoyingly ridiculous, but I can appreciate the quirk going on. I mean, only a little bit. But enough to put this one in the green rather than the red.

I'm still unsure whether or not I truly like Neotokyo - Annul as a piece of music, though I can't deny there's something entrancing about it. I've listened to it a few times and have deduced this: after listening, I find myself feeling empty (-); but I also find myself wanting to go back for more (+). I guess both can be attributed to the isolated and somewhat neurotic nature of the track. Whatever it is, it's interesting and can't be criticised for being too tame or predictable.

Catchy, catchy, catchy. Scarlett Reservation Special CD - -United States 70's- has been stuck in my head ever since I first heard it. It has an awesome sound you don't encounter too often, and some wonderfully slick instrumental choices. I love the jazz flute at 1:21 in particular. All in all just a really entertaining, highly accessible tune that's a great "go to" when you want something succinct and upbeat.

Sing!! Street Fighter II Instrumental Version - masked narcissist [BALROG] has great stomping percussion (which made me like the track in the end), but the melody and "latin" vibe just gets lost for me in the storm that is the coarse and crude keyboard lead. The track isn't as melodically potent as I would like, though it's (i.e. drums) still OK.

what's the POINT of a cup of tea without style?

3 points: Scarlett Reservation Special CD - -United States 70's-
2 points: Aion (Game Rip) - The Still, Sad World
1 point: Neotokyo - Annul
then the rest (too hard to rank 'em this week)

An 'eh' week. Top three were very easy to pick for me, and the rest were just clumped in a pile together, which not much separating them. Let's just say they weren't my cup(s?) of tea.

Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Dec 13, 2009, 08:27 AM Local time: Dec 13, 2009, 03:27 PM #10 of 20
2 points: Neotokyo - Annul
1 point: Aion (Game Rip) - The Still, Sad World
1 point: Iji soundtrack - Organ Smash
1 point: #ModArchive Story (Game Rip) - Music Madness - Part 1
1 point: Scarlett Reservation Special CD - -United States 70's-

I'd have nominated something like Tor's Theme or 3 Cans Later from Iji, far better representations for the soundtrack.

Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:04 AM #11 of 20
(3 points) Neotokyo - Annul
Dreamy, reflective, intense, and epic.

(2 points) Scarlett Reservation Special CD - -United States 70's-
Really nice 70's rock with jazzy elements! I have a soft spot for that type of sound.

(1 point) Aion (Game Rip) - The Still, Sad World
Magnificent and soothing piece which instills peacefulness with grace.

Djinova
Why didn't he just...

Member 2441

Level 23.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:59 PM #12 of 20
Stick - Choukou Gasshin Xardion - Ending
Snakes - dodonpachi DAI-OU-JOU [arrange album] - Mixed Melody (Stage 4)
Snakes - Iji soundtrack - Organ Smash
Stick - Scarlett Reservation Special CD - -United States 70's-

How ya doing, buddy?
ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2009, 02:02 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2009, 08:02 PM #13 of 20
2 points ~ Aion (Game Rip) - The Still, Sad World
1 point ~ Choukou Gasshin Xardion - Ending
1 point ~ dodonpachi DAI-OU-JOU [arrange album] - Mixed Melody (Stage 4)
1 point ~ Iji soundtrack - Organ Smash
1 point ~ Sing!! Street Fighter II Instrumental Version - masked narcissist [BALROG]

Very good nominations this week. Couldn't find more points to give to neotokyo :/

I was speaking idiomatically.
isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2009, 04:53 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2009, 11:53 PM #14 of 20
<<2 points>> dodonpachi DAI-OU-JOU [arrange album] - Mixed Melody (Stage 4)
<<2 point>> Neotokyo - Annul
<<1 point>> Aion (Game Rip) - The Still, Sad World
<<1 point>> Choukou Gasshin Xardion - Ending

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Dec 13, 2009, 09:09 PM #15 of 20
(3 points) Aion (Game Rip) - The Still, Sad World
(1 point) dodonpachi DAI-OU-JOU [arrange album] - Mixed Melody (Stage 4)
(1 point) Iji soundtrack - Organ Smash
(1 point) Neotokyo - Annul

FELIPE NO
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Dec 13, 2009, 09:18 PM #16 of 20
3 Points: Sing!! Street Fighter II Instrumental Version - masked narcissist [BALROG]
2 Points: Scarlett Reservation Special CD - -United States 70's-
1 Point: #ModArchive Story (Game Rip) - Music Madness - Part 1

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:06 PM #17 of 20
3 points: Music Madness - Part 1
1 point: Organ Smash
1 point: Ending
1 point: Annul
Just Missed: -United States 70's-, Mixed Melody, The Still, Sad World, masked narcissist [BALROG]

Not the best week, but certainly one of the most interesting I'd say. Everything vied for a point, though none for 2.

It's really cool to see Kinuyo Yamashita apparently becoming more active, so it really saddens me when I remember I wasn't a big fan of her in the first place.

Question: Any more slots remaining for the 2nd <60 second week?

ZiggyGo
Mountain Chocobo

Member 29067

Level 26.11

Mar 2008

Old Dec 14, 2009, 02:05 AM #18 of 20
3 points: Mixed Melody
2 points: The Still, Sad World
1 point: masked narcissist [BALROG]

Short vote. Just came back from Chicago.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2009, 04:35 AM Local time: Dec 14, 2009, 02:35 AM #19 of 20
Voting is closed and nominations are restricted!

1). [21] Neotokyo - Annul
2). [20] Aion (Game Rip) - The Still, Sad World
3). [14] dodonpachi DAI-OU-JOU [arrange album] - Mixed Melody (Stage 4)
4). [10] Scarlett Reservation Special CD - -United States 70's-
5). [8] Iji soundtrack - Organ Smash
6). [6/6] Choukou Gasshin Xardion - Ending
7). [6/4.5] Sing!! Street Fighter II Instrumental Version - masked narcissist [BALROG]
8). [5] #ModArchive Story (Game Rip) - Music Madness - Part 1

Question: Any more slots remaining for the 2nd <60 second week?
I'm going to announce something related to this in the next thread.

(the answer is yes)

Undertale (PC, 2015)
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:37 AM #20 of 20
Ooh, so close! Ah well. Anything with "Tokyo" in the name is pretty much guaranteed to win on the internet anymore, amirite?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 193 Voting/WEEK 194 Nominating