Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 207 Voting/WEEK 208 Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:22 AM #1 of 28
Song of the Week - WEEK 207 Voting/WEEK 208 Nominating

Song of the Week. 200 Weeks and counting.
Week 207 Voting is debuffed.
Week 208 Nominating is weakened.

Results:
1). [21] beatmania IIDX 16 EMPRESS ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - Mind Mapping
2). [20] The Blithe, the Blend & the Bizarre - Mutants
3). [12] Microsoft Puzzle Collection (GBC Game Rip) - Rat Poker
4). [10] Ragnarok Online 2: The Gate of the World (Game Rip) - Albrassia Field
5). [8] ROCKMAN X ALPH-LYLA with Toshiaki Otsubo - Epilogue - The Transient Silence ~ENDING STAGE~
6). [7] Devil's Crush (Game Rip) - Main Theme
7). [3/3] Lux-Pain (Game Rip) - Fate
8). [3/2] Tempest 2000 The Soundtrack - Future Tense

Tracks
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: beatmania IIDX 16 EMPRESS ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - Mind Mapping
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Devil's Crush (Game Rip) - Main Theme
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Lux-Pain (Game Rip) - Fate
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Microsoft Puzzle Collection (GBC Game Rip) - Rat Poker
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Ragnarok Online 2 - The Gate of the World (Game Rip) - Albrassia Field
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: ROCKMAN X ALPH-LYLA with Toshiaki Otsubo - Epilogue - The Transient Silence ~ENDING STAGE~
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Tempest 2000 The Soundtrack - Future Tense
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: The Blithe, the Blend and the Bizarre - Mutants

Voting Rules:
Voters must distribute 6 points among the 8 nominees, giving points to at least 3 songs, giving no song more than 3 points, and giving no more than one of their choices 3 points. Possible ways of voting include:
Spoiler:
"Traditional"
Song1 - 3 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 1 pt.

"Even Stevens"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 2 pts.

"Tough Decision"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.

"Nomination Bias"
Song1 - 3 pts.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.

"Indecisive"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.
Song5 - 1 pt.

"Shotgun Spread"
Song1 - 1 pt.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.
Song5 - 1 pt.
Song6 - 1 pt.

Notes:
Please remember to upload your nominations to the SotW server! Uploaded noms mean a faster, smoother SotW experience for everyone. Server information:
Spoiler:
* Host: ftp.sotw.info
* Username: nominations@sotw.info (that is the actual username; not an e-mail address)
* Password: gff
* Port: 21

Week 208 Nominating:
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:09 PM #2 of 28
Hey, the version I uploaded of Main Theme didn't loop. What's up with that?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 01:53 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2010, 02:53 AM #3 of 28
Here's a new nomination:

* Album Title: The Sword of Xuan Yuan Side Story: The Clouds Faraway Game Original Soundtrack
* Artists: Wu Xinrui & Zeng Zhihao
* Composers: Wu Xinrui & Angela Chen (CSHA)
* Track Title: Tears Running Madly (Battle Theme)
* Source: Xuanyuan Jian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ; ????? ??? - ???????????? ; http://shopping.g-music.com.tw/ECPro...=4713469220044
* File Location: Nominations folder
* Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
* Track Number: 11
* Catalogue Number: EXP00004
* Year: 2010 (Jan 12 released)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
I think therefore I am... I think.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 02:36 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2010, 11:36 AM #4 of 28
Didn't have time to get a nom in for this week, but I'll try to come up with something for 208.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 07:05 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2010, 04:05 PM #5 of 28
Hey, the version I uploaded of Main Theme didn't loop. What's up with that?
I noticed that the one you provided didn't loop, so I found a different rip where it did loop and used that copy. Is that a problem? I can switch it with the one you uploaded if you want, but I personally didn't notice any difference in sound quality or anything.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Apr 6, 2010, 07:24 PM #6 of 28
It just seems too long if it's looped...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 09:29 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2010, 06:29 PM #7 of 28
Was that a yes, you'd like it switched, then? I'm more than fine with that; the track is in that fuzzy middle area where I'm never really sure whether to loop or not. I'm okay with the looping in this case, in no small part because I love the hell out of that track, but it's a quick swap on my end if that's what you want.

FELIPE NO
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:19 AM #8 of 28
(3 points) The Blithe, the Blend and the Bizarre - Mutants: Excellent, excellent song, but doesn't this fall under Doujin? To me, it seems to be an outside composer remixing C64 tracks. PP004 | The Blithe, the Blend & the Bizarre - VGMdb

(2 points) beatmania IIDX 16 EMPRESS ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - Mind Mapping: A nice midtempo electronic piece. My beef with the occasional beatmania et al nominees is that they all seem hyper-speed Jpop tracks. Thankfully, this is something different.

(1 point) Ragnarok Online 2 - The Gate of the World (Game Rip) - Albrassia Field: Okay, I admit it -- I'm choosing this on instrument samples and atmosphere alone. I really wish the track actually did something, but the empty calories that are here are good enough.

As for the rest:

Devil's Crush is a very good track but it doesn't need to loop. Rat Poker has a nice beat but this is one time where the Game Boy synths are distracting me. Just about what I was expecting from Alph Lyra with Transient Silence. Fate's not bad, but it feels like a Lufia knockoff. Future Tense does nothing for me.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:16 PM #9 of 28
Devil's Crush is a very good track but it doesn't need to loop.
That's why I uploaded one that didn't loop, but I don't care because this is out of my hands. No offense CHz and I don't particularly care if you change it or not.

THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2010, 08:34 PM Local time: Apr 8, 2010, 05:34 PM #10 of 28
(3 points) The Blithe, the Blend and the Bizarre - Mutants: Excellent, excellent song, but doesn't this fall under Doujin? To me, it seems to be an outside composer remixing C64 tracks. PP004 | The Blithe, the Blend & the Bizarre - VGMdb
It does, but Ouwehand has composed music for no fewer than 11 games (listed on his homepage), so it falls into the unofficial-work-by-a-pro-composer category.

That's why I uploaded one that didn't loop, but I don't care because this is out of my hands. No offense CHz and I don't particularly care if you change it or not.
Man, I just wanted a straight answer of "yes, please switch the track," not dancing around the point and then saying "this is what I was talking about" when someone else comments on it.

I've switched tracks before, it's not a problem! Really! I really don't think that whether or not a track loops is a big deal, providing it does actually get through the track all the way through at least once, but if you think that the extra length harms it, just say so and I'll swap it. We're spending way too much time on something trivial.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Undertale (PC, 2015)
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2010, 01:55 PM #11 of 28
beatmania IIDX 16 EMPRESS ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - Mind Mapping These Beatmania tracks crop up like a bad rash every few weeks, and they don't generally make much of an impression on me. This week's selection is a little better than usual thanks to the chippy samples it uses and a slightly greater emphasis on melody and development over mindless trance.

Devil's Crush (Game Rip) - Main Theme In my opinion, all songs should be looped always with only a few obvious exceptions (like cutscene music). It should be as law. The music itself isn't bad, with some nice bits interspersed with some fairly long dry stretches and a few cringeworthy instrument selections.

Lux-Pain (Game Rip) - Fate I knew from the first few notes that this was an Ito piece; his fingerprints are all over it. As far as hist stuff goes, this is middling but at least upper middling, like a reject from Romancing SaGa 3.

Microsoft Puzzle Collection (GBC Game Rip) - Rat Poker Not sure I want to know what "rat poker" involves. According to Mobygames, pink rodents and balls are heavily involved (!). At leas the music doesn't have any bizarre sexual overtones, being as it is competent C64-style bleepiness.

Ragnarok Online 2 - The Gate of the World (Game Rip) - Albrassia Field There's a melody here, but the song is really all about a peaceful, pastoral atmosphere (I thought about it for Piano Week, but there was too much else going on). I especially like the bits of jazzy color that get thrown in here and there to liven up the cyclical music; it's like Gershwin meets Glass.

ROCKMAN X ALPH-LYLA with Toshiaki Otsubo - Epilogue - The Transient Silence ~ENDING STAGE~ With a name like that, I certainly didn't expect smooth 80's jazz. And, to be fair, as 80's jazz goes it's not bad.

Tempest 2000 The Soundtrack - Future Tense Random dialigue quotes = instant fail. This sounds like what I expected from Beatmania: mindless, disorganized, trancey noise.

The Blithe, the Blend and the Bizarre - Mutants I was a bit troubled about this one before CHz cleared it up, but can now approach it from a neutral POV. It's an okay funk cocktail, but its best part (the ballad guitar near the loop) isn't built upon enough to make up for the longer, duller music that precedes it.

The Point Spread
Albrassia Field - 3 pts.
Mind Mapping - 1 pt.
Fate - 1 pt.
Rat Poker - 1 pt.

Nommon
* Album Title: Riz-Zoawd
* Composers: Hitoshi Sakimoto
* Track Title: Sandy Beach of Star Fragments
* Source: VGMdb
* Disc Number: 1
* Track Number: 20
* Catalogue Number: KDSD-00264~5
* Release date: Feb 25, 2009

THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2010, 03:02 AM Local time: Apr 10, 2010, 12:02 AM #12 of 28
Alright, so.

I've got a trip coming up, and I'm going to be gone for more than two weeks. Kaleb will NOT be able to cover for me, so the choices are either one or more people take up voting management, track research, etc. while I'm gone, or we put this sucker on hiatus. I'll be gone from April 21 to May 7, so that affects the end of Battle 26, all of Week 209, and the start of Week 210.

Anyone interested? If not, Kaleb suggests checking out Rimo's new site Lost VGM in the interim.

Undertale (PC, 2015)
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Apr 10, 2010, 04:33 AM 1 #13 of 28
This was a stacked week of songs.

Some of these songs made me smile when I heard them. Well, not really. I didn't outwardly exhibit any emotions while listening, I just sort of sat there. It's kind of like when a movie review says, "Audiences will stand up and cheer!" and holy hell do I ever hate that phrase. No one ever stands up and cheers during a movie. You do that and the man behind you will dump his 44 oz. drink on your head and people will toss popcorn kernels and Buncha Crunch pieces at you. Stay in your damn seat when you watch the movie. And don't howl with laughter at that joke you already saw in the previews 40 times. It's not funny anymore. Keep that chuckling to yourself. So, in honor of the more reserved emotion that is existing internally and not really seen, I'll rate these songs with smilies that sort of just sit around and don't make appearances often.

- 16 whole IIDX games at once - Mind Mapping
- Tempest 2000 for your Atari Jaguar home console - Future Tense
- Blithe and Bizarre and Bologna Bites - Mutants

I would've given the Devil's Crush song a point, but I had issues with the length and looping.

Spoiler:
No just kidding, whether or not it loops doesn't matter to me at all. I wish I could give it a point too though, such a great song. I feel I should still give it something.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
These smile ratings were such a stupid stretch to make, I apologize. Never again. Also, I never knew "kernel" had two e's until this post. I always thought it was kernal.

Djinova
Why didn't he just...

Member 2441

Level 23.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:17 AM #14 of 28
3 MM
2 RP
1 F

Last edited by Djinova; Apr 10, 2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: extreme short voting
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2010, 01:12 PM #15 of 28
Alright, so.

I've got a trip coming up, and I'm going to be gone for more than two weeks. Kaleb will NOT be able to cover for me, so the choices are either one or more people take up voting management, track research, etc. while I'm gone, or we put this sucker on hiatus. I'll be gone from April 21 to May 7, so that affects the end of Battle 26, all of Week 209, and the start of Week 210.

Anyone interested? If not, Kaleb suggests checking out Rimo's new site Lost VGM in the interim.
I can do it, as long as I get permission/username/whatever to move songs around on the server.

Most amazing jew boots
ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2010, 01:17 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2010, 07:17 PM #16 of 28
Mutants was wonderful. Even better than my own nomination! :P

1 point ~ beatmania IIDX 16 EMPRESS ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - Mind Mapping
2 points ~ ROCKMAN X ALPH-LYLA with Toshiaki Otsubo - Epilogue - The Transient Silence ~ENDING STAGE~
3 points ~ The Blithe, the Blend and the Bizarre - Mutants

Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2010, 03:12 PM 1 #17 of 28
Excellent week! Point distribution was tough...

(3 points) The Blithe, the Blend and the Bizarre - Mutants
(2 points) ROCKMAN X ALPH-LYLA with Toshiaki Otsubo - Epilogue - The Transient Silence ~ENDING STAGE~
(1 point) Devil's Crush (Game Rip) - Main Theme

Nomination:

Album: Trine Original Soundtrack
Composer: Ari Pulkkinen
Track #: 4
Track Title: Dragon Graveyard
Year: 2009
Source: Trine Original Soundtrack - VGMdb

I can do it, as long as I get permission/username/whatever to move songs around on the server.
If for any reason you wouldn't be able to handle it anymore when CHz leaves, I could also step in. I could also assist you if any help would be needed.

Originally Posted by CHz
Thanks for the plug!

Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Apr 10, 2010, 04:02 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2010, 11:02 PM #18 of 28
3 points: Devil's Crush (Game Rip) - Main Theme
2 points: Microsoft Puzzle Collection (GBC Game Rip) - Rat Poker
1 point: Tempest 2000 The Soundtrack - Future Tense

A loop is better than none at all.

I could also lend a hand with SotW if there's need.

Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:52 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2010, 02:52 PM #19 of 28
2 points: beatmania IIDX 16 EMPRESS ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - Mind Mapping
2 points: The Blithe, the Blend and the Bizarre - Mutants
1 point: ROCKMAN X ALPH-LYLA with Toshiaki Otsubo - Epilogue - The Transient Silence ~ENDING STAGE~
1 point: Ragnarok Online 2 - The Gate of the World (Game Rip) - Albrassia Field

Pretty good week. and lol at the kenji ito track for being so kenji ito

isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2010, 04:22 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2010, 11:22 PM #20 of 28
<<2 Points>> ROCKMAN X ALPH-LYLA with Toshiaki Otsubo - Epilogue - The Transient Silence ~ENDING STAGE~
<<2 Points>> The Blithe, the Blend and the Bizarre - Mutants
<<1 Point>> Devil's Crush (Game Rip) - Main Theme
<<1 Point>> Microsoft Puzzle Collection (GBC Game Rip) - Rat Poker

Enjoyable week.

Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2010, 04:37 PM #21 of 28
2 points: Rat Poker
2 points: Albrassia Field
1 point: Mutants
1 point: Mind Mapping
just missed: Epilogue - The Transient Silence ~ENDING STAGE~, Future Tense

My next nomination:

Album: Merregnon Soundtrack Volume 2
Composer: Jonne Valtonen
Track: Forgotten Memories
Track #: 06
Catalog #: TOT23009
Year: 2004
Source: TOT23009 | Merregnon Soundtrack Volume 2 (US) - VGMdb
Additional Info: i wonder what purple motion has been up to lately

Uploading to FTP.

TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:48 PM #22 of 28
Hm, maybe I should make another nomination, since I'm back up at the top of the queue and don't h INSECTOR X TRACK 8 PARTY IN THEIR NEST IT'S BY HOT-B AND ARRANGED BY YUZO HAYASHI COCA-6648 RELEASE YEAR 1990 SOURCE I'LL UPLOAD IT OKAY

THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:04 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2010, 04:04 PM #23 of 28
2 points: Devil's Crush (Game Rip) - Main Theme
2 points: Microsoft Puzzle Collection (GBC Game Rip) - Rat Poker
1 point: beatmania IIDX 16 EMPRESS ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - Mind Mapping
1 point: Ragnarok Online 2 - The Gate of the World (Game Rip) - Albrassia Field

I've always liked the TG-16 version of the Devil's Crush tune more than the Genesis version. The Genesis conversion isn't HEAVY enough. Give me the original Sakoda-metal any day of the week.

Pretty solid week overall, every track was in the running for the one point slots.

FELIPE NO
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:38 PM Local time: Apr 12, 2010, 10:38 AM #24 of 28
Quick votes:

(3 points) The Blithe, the Blend and the Bizarre - Mutants

(2 points) beatmania IIDX 16 EMPRESS ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - Mind Mapping

(1 point) Ragnarok Online 2 - The Gate of the World (Game Rip) - Albrassia Field

I think therefore I am... I think.
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:45 PM #25 of 28
Solid week!

2 pts. - Mind Mapping = <3
2 pts. - Rat Poker - I love the sound of the GBC Microsoft Puzzle Collection songs. This one's kind of repetitive but nice and jazzy.
1 pt. - Mutants
1 pt. - Epilogue - Nothing amazing, but I'm a sucker for jazzy songs like this.

How ya doing, buddy?
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 207 Voting/WEEK 208 Nominating