Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Illegal Downloads aka the Hong Kong of the Internet

Conan-the-3rd
[Insert genie + computing pun here]

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 05:25 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 11:25 AM #26 of 41
I download on the princible that it takes for-flippin-ever to get stuff over here.

Take for example Erueka Seven (the us dub), I don't even think that will air over here (It might after FMA but who the hell knows in the crazy world of UK anime licencing?) So that's why I download that.

Also, Music I download usaly stems from Game music and also byond that stuff that's not easily obtainable.

To be fair, the only program I downloaded illegaly is photoshop, most of the expesive crap doesn't matter due to having good-as/Better freewhere alternitives, but Photoshop > GIMP (Gimp had a horrible habbit of croupting everything I did with it, also the path creation sucks something awful).

There's nowhere I can't reach.
All I'm saying is that if the laptops of the future are not in the
shape of chibi genie girls then I'm going to be sorely disappointed.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 05:30 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 03:30 AM #27 of 41
I download illegally, though not all the time. Sometimes I do it to try something new out, or because something is very hard to find and expensive. Otherwise, I do try to get the legit copy, and often I'll look for sites that have them discounted, academic stores are awesome!

If a device has legimate legal uses, then it cannot be at fault if the user performs illegal activities with it. I believe Sony or some other company tried to use that excuse about Xerox, but it failed to hold up in court.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:12 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 09:12 AM #28 of 41
For me, it matters how good something is for me to warrant buying it.

Like the way they wanted you to pay for Winrar just so you don't have an annoying pop-up that says "time expired, go buy this!''. I don't think that's worth purchasing the service for.

The whole issue I'm having with this is that many people will easily download something and not feel remorse. It makes me think that people will go to the very limits that they can. We know it's wrong but we still do it because it's free, easy, and convenient.

Sometimes I wonder, if you could kill somebody with a single mouse click, and not get caught...how many people would be dead right now?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by vuigun; Apr 26, 2006 at 09:45 AM.
Josiah
Normal Gym Leader

Member 412

Level 22.01

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:43 AM #29 of 41
I download plenty, but that is pretty much restricted to just music now, and even with those I'll buy an actual album every now and then (the most recent being the Halo 2 OST, Volume 2). Whatever games I downloaded and still have, I don't really play or distribute anymore. (Unless you want to count emulation, but that's a whole ball game of its own.) The only movies I have are ones that I've bought. As for the music, my reasoning is nothing new. Much of the VGM I have probably doesn't even exist as an actual soundtrack. Or if it does, it's probably import and so they charge me an arm and a leg for it. I'd be more than flat broke if I had to pay for all the VGM I have.

I was speaking idiomatically.

MagicumMusica
The Magic Of Music (AKA Soundsgood & Crowestorm)

Member 5032

Level 11.38

Apr 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:59 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 03:59 PM #30 of 41
Originally Posted by Snowknight
That's guilt by association, which doesn't really work here.
Blaming this on retail chains that sell equipment which facilitates illegal downloading is much like placing the blame for the 9/11 attacks on Boeing. Just because something can be used for an illegal purpose doesn't make the thing itself illegal. Blaming companies who sell computer equipment is simply asinine.
Um, you misrad me i think...im not blaming no fucker!

Double Post:
Originally Posted by Free.User
Incase you hadn't noticed, speedy networks, large harddrives, and CD/DVD burners can be used for a lot more than illegaly spreading music. Just becuase you don't use them for anything else doesn't mean that others don't. Let's say I'm a game developer, and I just created a bunch of raw .wav files for my upcoming game, and I need to send them to another department across the country. I could either send them across the internet, or mail them on a DVD. Both of these options are high-speed/high capacity methods, but are perfectly legal. I'm not pirating or illegaly destributing anything, I'm simply transporting my own personal material. (MagicumMusica, you may also want to double-check your network speed measurements [g, m, etc])

Oh. Does that mean if I careen down the road at 150km/h, I'm not doing anything wrong? I mean, the construction crew made the road so long and strait, so it must be their fault that I'm speeding. Right guys?

Im sorry, clearly downloading at high speeds is risking peoples lifes...i was nto aware of this, thankyou for this piece of useless info

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by MagicumMusica; Apr 26, 2006 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:26 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 04:26 PM #31 of 41
They're technically not losing money from me (artists / software publishers), as if I can't download and album or peice of software I want, I just forget about it or look for an alternative. I wouldn't buy it. I have only paid for one peice of software ever. I've never paid for any peice of music. The piracy calculator (I have long since lost the link, sorry) put my collection in the thousands of dollars.

When I think about it, I don't really feel bad about it either.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Roph; Apr 26, 2006 at 10:51 AM.
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:30 PM #32 of 41
Originally Posted by soniclover
For me, it matters how good something is for me to warrant buying it.

Like the way they wanted you to pay for Winrar just so you don't have an annoying pop-up that says "time expired, go buy this!''. I don't think that's worth purchasing the service for.

The whole issue I'm having with this is that many people will easily download something and not feel remorse. It makes me think that people will go to the very limits that they can. We know it's wrong but we still do it because it's free, easy, and convenient.

Sometimes I wonder, if you could kill somebody with a single mouse click, and not get caught...how many people would be dead right now?
But with the shareware/donationware stuff you aren't supposed to think about it as getting rid of a pop-up. You are supposed to evaluate whether the application is good, and that you would want to support the developers for their efforts. Do you use Winrar? Then you should pay for it. It's *not* just to kill the pop-up, the pop-up is just to get you to realize that you should pay the developers. It seems it failed to do so.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by MagicumMusica
Im sorry, clearly downloading at high speeds is risking peoples lifes...i was nto aware of this, thankyou for this piece of useless info
That makes a lot of sense since all laws must be safety-related, otherwise they have no value.

Most amazing jew boots
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

Last edited by PUG1911; Apr 26, 2006 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:51 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 03:51 PM #33 of 41
Originally Posted by PUG1911
But with the shareware/donationware stuff you aren't supposed to think about it as getting rid of a pop-up. You are supposed to evaluate whether the application is good, and that you would want to support the developers for their efforts. Do you use Winrar? Then you should pay for it. It's *not* just to kill the pop-up, the pop-up is just to get you to realize that you should pay the developers. It seems it failed to do so.
Yes, like I said before. We know something we're doing is wrong but we do it anyway. This is the same kind of situation when you don't pay artists for their music.

I just never wanted to pay for it. I didn't want to spend money on it when I can just bypass the pop-up and not pay. I guess that's the real problem here. Nobody ever wants to pay when they don't have to.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 04:19 PM #34 of 41
Some do. I mean, otherwise there would be no commercial software. It's unfortunate that regardless of the quality of the product or how much use it is to an individual, some people just don't feel like the provider of this product deserves their money.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Free.User
See You, Space Cowboy

Member 62

Level 32.80

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 05:55 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 02:55 PM #35 of 41
Originally Posted by MagicumMusica
You missed the point entirely. Go back and read my post more thoroughly.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Mario Kart DS: 498293-921939____
Star Fox Command: 155-576-696-451____
Metroid Prime Hunters: 4854-1233-4943____
Final Fantasy III: 506891214495____
Xfire: freuser____
Steam: Free.User
____
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 06:17 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 04:17 PM #36 of 41
Originally Posted by shining_force
Was that URL meant to go somewhere?

It was cracked already, too unless they've put out another new version in the last couple days.

Windows.Genuine.Advantage.Validation.v1.5.526.0.CR ACKED-ETH0
I fixed the URL, this is a very new WGA utility, it'll just show a popup at logon if you have automatic updates enabled (it'll install itself). Afterwards it'll show a icon next to the clock reminding you to get Genuine Windows.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:04 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 12:04 AM #37 of 41
When I think of how much Music I've gotten over torrents over the years, it's shocking.

I remember, I got scared when I first started because I thought I would get caught. I heard all of these stories about individuals getting sued and whatnot. It seriously scared me.

3 Years later...

I was speaking idiomatically.
sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:59 AM Local time: Apr 29, 2006, 09:59 PM #38 of 41
I don't know! I download, but most of the time it's just to see if I want to spend money on the legit item, or because I can't buy it otherwise. In those cases, if it's OOP I have no problem downloading at all. In fact, about 95-99% of my collection is legit...

That said, I am mainly an uploader. While, there's certain things I won't share I mostly stick with Anime, VGM and otherwise OOP music.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 01:18 PM Local time: May 1, 2006, 01:18 AM #39 of 41
Hmm, I mostly download mp3, and it's only vgm or classical. I never care about MTV or pop music. I actually dont want to download if I could buy the original one, but for some reasons, VGM is not a really everyday music other people than us would listen to, it's totally non-existant to non-gamers community. The price for the albums also gross, the VGM publisher wont give license to local recording label to reduce the price.

I buy bootlegs games too, not because I want to support piracy. It's because the price is just too outrageus for people in developing countries. Price of one legal super commercial software equals to a month of labour salary here.

FELIPE NO
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
LizardSC
Slave to the Rhythm

Member 5069

Level 7.59

Apr 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 06:51 PM #40 of 41
I only illegally download mp3s and the occasional over-expensive software.

RIAA thinks illegal downloading is taking away potential sales from music stores... I disagree. I think many downloaders are just so dirt poor and/or stingy that they wouldn't buy albums regardless of the availability of an illegal online alternative. Everyone knows cd prices are inflated; most of it's crap and not worth the $15 in the store, much less the $0.99/song you get charged online. Considering the fact that the artists themselves get only a small percentage of music sale revenues, I have no personal qualms about downloading.

Most amazing jew boots
PattyNBK
255% Bitch, 78% Slut

Member 1397

Level 10.92

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 12:20 AM #41 of 41
I beleive the "illegal downloading" amounts to free advertising. I have yet to see any evidence that suggests that "illegal downloading" cuts into any company's profits in any way. In fact, it seems to be the other way around.

Most of the time, I download in order to sample the product.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Why are you arguing with WoW players? It's pronounced "Shut the fuck up and get a job. Raiding isn't a job." - Lukage

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > Illegal Downloads aka the Hong Kong of the Internet