Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] Digimon

khan0plinger
OH YES LET ME DROWN IN IT

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 06:05 PM #1 of 287
Digimon

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/digimon_s/

Uh so I toggled with the idea of putting this in the Media section, but then figured that Digimon COULD be classified as anime, especially considering where it comes from.

I dont know how many years since a new digimon anime season was released (I think the last one was Frontier) and I am not sure how excited I am for this one yet. It seems promising, as I really have not enjoyed Digimon since the original Adventure and 02. I used to be one of those guys who preferred the english dub over the original japanese with content, but if you have ever heard the differences is music between the two...you will know the japanese one is superior.

Anyway, I assume that only Digimon fans will be into Savers, apparently its going to take 3 people (not really kids anymore..more like teenagers) and give them 3 digimon. I am not sure too much on what the story will be like..but it debuts in April. I know I will be looking for a torrent of it after it airs...even raw.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:37 PM #2 of 287
Wow. I never knew there was a 5th season...I guess I haven't been kept up with the news. I'm not sure I like the idea of having teenagers, plus the fact we've already seen Agumon in 2 seasons already. However, I'm glad they're keeping the main character count low, ala Tamers and Frontier.

I'd need more information about it first before deciding if it's worth my time. Tamers was the best of the bunch, and I doubt this one can knock it off the throne.

P.S. The Tamers dub rules. Can't say the same for the 02 Adventure dub though. Ye gads, that sure was hideous.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

khan0plinger

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 08:31 PM #3 of 287
I dont know, I sort of liked the voicework done in the 02 dub. Still nothing beats watching it with SUBs, considering 02 had the best music. I just started downloading and watching Tamers, not sure if I like it. I watched Frontier in its entirely, which I thought was dumb due to the fact of humans BECOMING digimon...and Tamers...I dunno. The whole concept I dont like, it seems like a card game come to life/animation.

Savers, like I said...could be good or bad depending on what they do with it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 08:46 PM #4 of 287
Voicework or not, the jokes in the 02 dub was horrific. It totally ruined the season for me. For me, I think Tamers had the best music.

I think Tamers is the best for many, many reasons: better character development, better Digimon, better plot, better music, better characters, and the fact that it's more dramatic/serious than the other seasons. For example, when Digimon bite the dust, they stay that way. I didn't mind the card slashing at all. The dub had better jokes than the sub.

I'll watch a new eps of Savers when it comes out, and decide then what to do think of it. I don't know what's up with yet another canine Digimon though. Aside from 02, every season has a starring doggy Digimon. Garurumon/Renamon/Garmmon anyone? I do love canines, however, so it's fine with me.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Freelance; Mar 11, 2006 at 09:04 PM.
soulsteelgray
And now for something new

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 08:50 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 07:50 PM #5 of 287
I'm not so sure what to think of Savers at the moment. My friend absolutely positively cannot wait for the first episode to air and will drop everything to go download a raw, but I'm rather reserved in terms of my attitude towards the series. There's just something about it that doesn't seem quite right with me.

I'll just have to wait and see it, I guess.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:22 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 10:22 PM #6 of 287
I'll probably give this show a chance when it comes out. The way I figure, no further Digimon animation could be worse than Frontier (it totally ruined the entire series for me), so this show has to at least be somewhat good. I'm not expecting it to be Tamers good (or probably not even Adventure/02 good), but at least if it's somewhat interesting I'll stick with it (though I'm not desperate enough to watch raws just to see it).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:32 PM #7 of 287
i'd rather see this subbed.. the first 2 digimon series was really good - only the bgm was all spiderman music @.@

FELIPE NO
khan0plinger

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:47 PM #8 of 287
I think alot of people hated Digimon after Frontier, although I think I should of seen it coming eventually. I believe that they used the "humans merging with Digimon" in Tamers so it was only a matter of time before it was all about the humans. What I liked best about Adventure was the hilariary between the chosen and their digimon. Ive seen a little of that in Tamers but it was not possible in Frontier since there were no Digimon. Just the cliche group....goggle main character, the evil one turned good, the ditzy girl, the fat guy...and the kid.

Has anyone managed to catch the dubs of the movies that came out last year? I just saw the fourth movie not too long ago ...which it wasnt too bad (although some of the voicework was off) ...much much MUCH better then the original Digimon movie.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 09:41 AM #9 of 287
Originally Posted by chato
i'd rather see this subbed.. the first 2 digimon series was really good - only the bgm was all spiderman music @.@
Was it really spiderman music??
The first season was the best. No other season could top it. But this season has Augumon so there's an up. I saw a trailer clip and he's slightly different. He has some kind of brace on his arms and when he digivolves into Greymon he has thorns on his shoulder.

Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 09:43 AM #10 of 287
I didn't hate Frontier, but it just wasn't as good as earlier seasons. I'm not a traditionalist, so I didn't mind at all if humans could change into Digimon. I thought it was a pretty unique concept, and I'm sure lots of kids would love to be able to become Digimon and fight themselves instead of having a Digimon fight for them.

Unfortunately, I thought the plot was draggy. There were too many sidestops and too many encounters with silly Digimon like those hamburger guys and trains. The Digimon designs in Frontier were quite lacking, except for the main characters. I still haven't seen the entire show actually, although I have them all DLed. I guess after Tamers I thought Frontier would have the same quality, but it didn't.

I haven't caught the dubbed 4th movie last year. It aired on Toon Disney and I don't get that channel. I sincerely hope it's better than the Digimon Movie, as it was hideous, and I usually LIKE dubs. I have seen all 8 movies subbed, but I really want to see the two Tamers movies dubbed. My favourite movie is Runaway Digimon Express, followed by Digimon X-Evolution. The latter was quite darkish for Digimon, even darker than Tamers, which was a refreshing change of pace from the norm. MetalGarurumonX rocked. Digimon Express had Rika/Ruki trying to kill Takato with a pipe. Awesome stuff.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Freelance; Mar 12, 2006 at 09:46 AM.
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 09:50 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 08:50 AM #11 of 287
I liked Frontier if not only for Koji's rawk-awesome Digimon. And then he became good. So lame, didn't bother watching it after that.

soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:25 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 10:25 AM #12 of 287
I liked Frontier at first, but after awhile it started getting pretty dry. The news of the reduction of the series' length didn't make things any better.

In my eyes, nothing will be able to beat Tamers. Kids probably didn't like it because it got too emo, but I think it's the emo-ness and mature storyline that puts it above the rest.

khan0plinger

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:54 AM #13 of 287
Originally Posted by jouhou
Was it really spiderman music??
The first season was the best. No other season could top it. But this season has Augumon so there's an up. I saw a trailer clip and he's slightly different. He has some kind of brace on his arms and when he digivolves into Greymon he has thorns on his shoulder.
Agumon digivolves into a different version of Greymon, its called Geo-Greymon to be specific. Im sure if its ever dubbed they will change it to something gay, like Earth-Greymon. I dont like the other 2 partner Digimon.

Tamers I think was good up until the whole D-reaper stuff. I didnt think id like any of it, the beginning was boring, the middle was great and then after Beelzlemon...it was stupid.

Frontier, I dont think I ever saw the whole series. I remember seeing the 2nd to last episode...with Susanoomon or whatever, and seeing all the stuff with Kouichi turning good...and the show doesnt seem TOO BAD. I think its watchable, and at least the characters have a little personality. Still a little too cliche for me. Plus I like how later on in the season...all the secondary characters (the girl, fat kid, and the child) all are worthless.

Lee-chan
~キラキラ・マジック~

Member 1899

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:08 PM #14 of 287
I loved Tamers; it's one of my favorite anime series ever and the only "monster" anime I'd ever reccomend to anyone else. It's one of my faves because of the reasons mentioned already. However, if anyone remembers, Tamers more or less killed the anime franchise in Japan.

That being said, I'm not sure what to make of this new series. The character designs make it seem like it's going for a more mature feel, but will Toei try that road after what happened with the third series? What's up with the lack of info on the site...? = (

How ya doing, buddy?
Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:54 PM #15 of 287
My sentiments exactly, Lee-chan. When it comes to anime with monsters, Tamers is the only series I'd recommend. In fact, I did just that several days ago with an online friend of mine.

I'm still confused as to why Tamers killed the anime franchise though. It had great ratings at first, then hit rock bottom later. I thought the Japanese LIKED dark stories and such, but apparently they didn't like the way Tamers did it. I personally loved it, but whatever.

As for Savers, I'd watch it regardless of the terrible lack of info. After all, it's the first Digimon anime to appear in three long years. I never thought I'd ever see a new series again. Huzzah!

FELIPE NO
Lee-chan
~キラキラ・マジック~

Member 1899

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:06 PM #16 of 287
Originally Posted by Freelance Wolf
I'm still confused as to why Tamers killed the anime franchise though. It had great ratings at first, then hit rock bottom later. I thought the Japanese LIKED dark stories and such, but apparently they didn't like the way Tamers did it. I personally loved it, but whatever.
My guess is because the target audience for the Digimon series was the preteen audience. That was fine for the two first seasons, which were very lighthearted, but then Tamers came along. It wasn't a bad series at all, but it just didn't hit the mark with the audience that had been established with the franchise... which I guess would be expected. I mean, the guy who did SEL and Hellsing producing a kid's show and all.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Mar 17, 2006, 02:43 AM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 11:43 PM #17 of 287
I only saw the first several episodes of Tamers, but it was way too slow compared to the first two seasons, so I lost interest in it. Maybe the same happened for many others? It's too bad, because apparently the show got a whole lot better, later on in the season.

soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 01:43 PM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 12:43 PM #18 of 287
The Digimon Attraction Site has updated the Event page with information about the OP, ED, and an insert song for the series.

OP: Gouing! Going! My Soul!! (Dynamite SHU)
ED: One Star (Ito Yousuke)
Insert: Believer (IKUO)

I don't know a thing about Dynamite SHU or IKUO, but Ito Yousuke was Dekagreen in Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger and Urahara Kisuke in the BLEACH Rock Musical.

How ya doing, buddy?
Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 03:36 PM #19 of 287
Man, I'm gonna miss Wada Kouji and AiM :(

Getting close to the airdate :D

Last edited by Freelance; Mar 18, 2006 at 04:05 PM.
Conan-the-3rd
[Insert genie + computing pun here]

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 04:10 PM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 10:10 PM #20 of 287
I find all the Bleach conections funny, as Rukia from Bleach is voiced by the same voice actor who did Ruki.

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 04:36 AM #21 of 287
I know this will probably sound really dumb to all of you who have been watching Digimon subbed, but how different is it from what Fox showed (shows)? They have a tendency to butcher anything they get their hands on, so I was curious about how much they've cut out.

I watched pretty much all of the first season and found it pretty enjoyable overall, with a nice climactic battle at the end. Season 2's new characters were just kind of annoying though, so I haven't really seen an episode since then.

Conan-the-3rd
[Insert genie + computing pun here]

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 08:56 AM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 02:56 PM #22 of 287
Um...it's a bit uncomparible, realy, some lines are better done both ways.

unless if it's Zero two we're talking about, English Zero Two sucked from the get go and the jp version followed after the Daimon arc.

Watch Zero 1, Tamers and this coming series. Don't bother with Zero Two and Frountier, they'll just brunya.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Conan-the-3rd; Mar 19, 2006 at 11:06 AM.
soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:26 AM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 10:26 AM #23 of 287
Originally Posted by Tritoch
I know this will probably sound really dumb to all of you who have been watching Digimon subbed, but how different is it from what Fox showed (shows)? They have a tendency to butcher anything they get their hands on, so I was curious about how much they've cut out.
For one thing, there's no stupid jokes. The series more or less takes itself seriously.

FELIPE NO
Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:06 PM #24 of 287
I agree somewhat with Conan-the-3rd.

Adventure's dub was decent. Zero 2 sucked arse. The writers apparently felt like adding a bunch of horrible jokes that had left me cringing in my seat. I've only seen one episode of the Japanese version so I can't say whether they have crappy jokes too.

After the crap that was Zero 2, I thought Tamers would be just as bad. I was very pleasantly surprised. There's still jokes in it, but they're actually funny this time around. They pretty much stopped joking altogether further into the episodes though, which is a good thing. In other words, the Tamers dub ROCKED. It is a much better dub than Zero 2. After watching a few eps in Japanese, however, I was disappointed that none of the funny jokes were in it.

I've barely seen many eps of the Frontier dub, but it didn't seem so bad from what I've watched. Neemon's voice was much better in Japanese.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Freelance; Mar 19, 2006 at 05:20 PM.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:17 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 04:17 PM #25 of 287
The Frontier dub wasn't bad, it was just the story that sucked. I haven't seen it in Japanese, but I thought the dub was probably the best part of that show, since almost everything else about it is bad.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] Digimon