Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Uninstalling IE

Tsunade
Clinically Insane!!

Member 153

Level 23.12

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:19 AM #1 of 12
Uninstalling IE

Okay, since mozilla's being an ass... IE6 used to work perfectly but since I've installed the latest verion IE7 EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING "cannot connect" to the Net... yah! I can't use IE anymore... so I wanna uninstall IE so I can reinstall IE6... I hope it's possible I can't find it under control panel>add remove

Jam it back in, in the dark.
galador
Chocobo

Member 652

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 02:14 AM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 02:14 AM #2 of 12
You have to hit the check box that says "Show Updates" and then you should be able to find the uninstaler for IE7.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 08:37 AM #3 of 12
Use Firefox.

In all seriousness, I think when you install stuff like Internet Explorer 7, Windows Media Player 11, etc., the only way to uninstall it is to have the system restore service on, because the installer creates a rollback point.

Yeah, I know, crazy for Microsoft to not just back up previous version's files.

Most amazing jew boots
RYU
Hoshi X Hayabusa

Member 173

Level 33.76

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 08:52 AM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 04:52 PM #4 of 12
you can Uninstall IE with XPlite but you need winxp cd to reinstall again

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Tsunade
Clinically Insane!!

Member 153

Level 23.12

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 11:52 AM #5 of 12
Okay I did uninstall using "Show Updates" and rebooted.... but for some reason when I click on IE6 installer it says "a newer version of IE is installled in the computer setup cannot complete" and when I check again in add remove stuff with the show updates there is NO IE anymore.... so wth.... I'm really getting irretated... the IE explorer shortcut is still there but I get this http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8753/untitledsg3.jpg

I tried XPlite and I got a Windows XP Setup error saying "The application could not be initialized"

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Tsunade; Jul 23, 2006 at 11:58 AM.
Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:15 AM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 10:15 PM #6 of 12
Originally Posted by RYU
you can Uninstall IE with XPlite but you need winxp cd to reinstall again
Fail with XPLite. www.nliteos.com is far superior.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Duminas
Something

Member 29

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2006, 02:09 AM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 11:09 PM #7 of 12
Render, that's only in certain cases.
If I recall, nLite cannot operate on a live system; in all my testing, it is made to operate SOLELY against a batch of files one would get from an installation disc.

XPLite is superior in the case that you do not want to reinstall your system, and it works reliably. I have used it on many SP1/SP2 installations to remove IE, the driver cache, WMP, and other useless features without issue--much the same as I stated back in the "Remove WMP" thread, or whatever it was called.

FELIPE NO

Need help using an FTP client? Look no further! ««
Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:46 PM #8 of 12
Seeing as Windows is so reliant on Internet Explorer, wouldn't removing it break other things within Windows? Or break them more?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 03:46 PM #9 of 12
Originally Posted by Magic
Seeing as Windows is so reliant on Internet Explorer, wouldn't removing it break other things within Windows? Or break them more?
You can safely remove the IE binary (or so to speak). Its HTML rendering engine, however, is more... built in to Windows--rendering functions for things such as Windows Help and the like are still intact.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Duminas
Something

Member 29

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 04:01 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 01:01 PM #10 of 12
I remove IE and the "IE Core" without any breakage on my system. This is not to say that it wouldn't break features to do this, but I prune most things out, so I really couldn't tell you.

About all that survives is Disk Cleanup, Disk Defrag, languages, and some things like the JET DB engine, among other system-critical items.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 04:58 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 02:58 PM #11 of 12
Originally Posted by Duminas
Render, that's only in certain cases.
If I recall, nLite cannot operate on a live system; in all my testing, it is made to operate SOLELY against a batch of files one would get from an installation disc.

XPLite is superior in the case that you do not want to reinstall your system, and it works reliably. I have used it on many SP1/SP2 installations to remove IE, the driver cache, WMP, and other useless features without issue--much the same as I stated back in the "Remove WMP" thread, or whatever it was called.
I didn't know it modified a live install! Interesting really, but I prefer a fresh install, especially if major key components of Windows are going to be removed. Not to mention that XPLite charges money for the most basic features that nLite provides. From what I see, nLite seems to have a more comprehensive feature set.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Duminas
Something

Member 29

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 07:20 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 04:20 PM #12 of 12
It most certainly does. My only issue, again, is that you need to completely reinstall to use nLite successfully.

But really--if you've got a choice between reinstalling with it stripped down, and stripping it down while it's installed... take the first, as Render implied. It's far easier.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Uninstalling IE