Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Resetting Your IP With Comcast

DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 09:24 AM Local time: May 15, 2008, 08:24 AM #1 of 18
Resetting Your IP With Comcast

I have Comcast High-Speed Internet and need to change my IP. I have tried doing ipconfig/release and then ipconfig/renew (or vice versa, can't remember), then resetting modem and router without any change in the IP. Hopefully I won't have to call them.

P.S. - I don't mean to be a dick, but if you're just going to reply and say "why do you want to change your IP?" then don't respond at all. It's simply out of curiosity.

Most amazing jew boots
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 09:28 AM #2 of 18
The only way you can change your IP address with Comcast is if you use a different modem. IP addresses in Comcast's networks are defined by the MAC addresses of the modem.

(Just as an fyi, you cannot affect your network's connection to the internet with ipconfig commands. They only affect your computer's connection to the home network.)

There's nowhere I can't reach.

DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 09:42 AM Local time: May 15, 2008, 08:42 AM #3 of 18
The only way you can change your IP address with Comcast is if you use a different modem. IP addresses in Comcast's networks are defined by the MAC addresses of the modem.

(Just as an fyi, you cannot affect your network's connection to the internet with ipconfig commands. They only affect your computer's connection to the home network.)
And I suppose there is no way to change your modem's MAC address?

Thanks for the response packrat.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 09:50 AM #4 of 18
You'd have to do some drastic things, like physically changing the hardware, or installing different firmware on the device.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 09:54 AM Local time: May 15, 2008, 08:54 AM #5 of 18
You'd have to do some drastic things, like physically changing the hardware, or installing different firmware on the device.
How about reinstalling the firmware on the modem... is that difficult?

How ya doing, buddy?
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 10:03 AM #6 of 18
"Reinstalling" the firmware wouldn't do anything. You would have to have custom firmware specifically hacked to achieve what you want. And on top of that, I believe it may violate Comcast's Terms of Use. (they don't like people altering their modems, and potentially working around bandwidth caps that they have set in place)

Just buy a cheap used modem from someone in your area on craigslist. Its a lot easier.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 10:08 AM Local time: May 15, 2008, 09:08 AM #7 of 18
"Reinstalling" the firmware wouldn't do anything. You would have to have custom firmware specifically hacked to achieve what you want. And on top of that, I believe it may violate Comcast's Terms of Use. (they don't like people altering their modems, and potentially working around bandwidth caps that they have set in place)

Just buy a cheap used modem from someone in your area on craigslist. Its a lot easier.
Does Comcast require you to have a Comcast provided/sponsored modem? I know this is a question that I should be asking Comcast... but unfortunately I'm renting and do not know all the information on the Comcast account.

FELIPE NO
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 10:19 AM #8 of 18
Google it
Last bullet point under technical restrictions.

You do not have to have a "specially approved" modem. They all pretty much work the same, so you can use any cable modem under the sun.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 10:41 AM #9 of 18
I just changed my mac address the other day and inadvertently changed my IP, I'm not 1337 so it can be done by any normal person

Control Panel | System | Hardware | Device Manager-> rightclick -> disable your adapter, rightclick -> properties -> Netowrk address -> click the value button and just type your old MAC address and add it by 1 (ex. Old MAC=12-34-56-78-90-12 change it to 12-34-56-78-90-13)btw, dont put hyphens in the value box.

After that, re enable your network driver, probably a good idea to restart, and you should be good to go (check in the ipconfig/all command to see if what was changed! )

Jam it back in, in the dark.
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 11:19 AM #10 of 18
Odd.
Are you behind a router, or is your computer directly connected to the modem.

Most amazing jew boots

DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 12:28 PM Local time: May 15, 2008, 11:28 AM #11 of 18
Odd.
Are you behind a router, or is your computer directly connected to the modem.
I know this question wasn't directed toward me... but we probably have 5-6 computers connected to our router in the house im renting a room in, connected to a wireless router, then to modem (obviously). Will this method still work for me?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 01:09 PM #12 of 18
Dude, the most drastic thing k_tak is suggesting is to reboot your computer! Just try it for god's sake.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 10:44 PM Local time: May 15, 2008, 09:44 PM #13 of 18
Dude, the most drastic thing k_tak is suggesting is to reboot your computer! Just try it for god's sake.
I tried lots of things before posting here... rebooting was one of the first things.

I was speaking idiomatically.
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 11:33 PM #14 of 18
No. I meant that its very simple to answer your own question by doing it yourself. Nothing beats hands-on experimentation, and thats what I was trying to get across.
(I am of course assuming that the "method" you were inquiring about in the previous post was the one k_tak used).

How ya doing, buddy?

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 11:37 PM Local time: May 15, 2008, 10:37 PM #15 of 18
Why do you want to change your IP? What is you banned from?

FELIPE NO

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old May 17, 2008, 01:46 PM Local time: May 17, 2008, 03:16 PM #16 of 18
I've actually worked for Comcast technical support, but its been almost two years since I've worked at a call center. I don't really remember much of what I did there since its been a while. If I'm out of a certain job within a period of time I'll usually lose all the skills and knowledge that came with that job after a certain period of time.

I'll tell you what I do remember from working at that job, but I'll just warn you I'm not a computer expert in any way. I don't know much about networks and things along those lines. Things in that company could of definetely changed within the last two years.

I know during my time that we did work there we did get quite a few calls concerning this issue and it usually turned into an escalation about 50% of the time.

I recall that their network uses dynamic ip addresses, and they will usually change after a certain period of time. Sometimes your ip address will change once a month or every few days. You can practically use any cable modem with this service.

If you do provide your own cable modem just let comcast know so they can make the associated changes on the account. Its just one of the things that customers end up doing when we tell them for the 100th time we can't change their ip address.

One of the teams I've worked on was fixing corrupt mac addresses on customers accounts so just be very careful with that if you attempt to change the firmware or the mac address.

That's just my two cents.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Shively
Banned

Member 28885

Level 13.18

Mar 2008

Old May 30, 2008, 11:39 PM #17 of 18
I have Comcast High-Speed Internet and need to change my IP. I have tried doing ipconfig/release and then ipconfig/renew (or vice versa, can't remember), then resetting modem and router without any change in the IP. Hopefully I won't have to call them.

P.S. - I don't mean to be a dick, but if you're just going to reply and say "why do you want to change your IP?" then don't respond at all. It's simply out of curiosity.

I've had Comcast for the better part of 10 years. First off you will most likely get someone who has NO IDEA how to change your IP address, thus you need to help them do it ( with out making them feel stupid)

This is what you do. First off the RELEASE/RENEW should work in therory because they tell you that your IP address is not static, well thats a bunch of horse shit.

For NOT being a static ip it sure stays the same when you release and renew right?

What I finaly ended up doing is this.

Call them up, tell them you want an additional IP address. It costs like 5 bucks extra month. Tell them thanks.

Then release and renew , you should get that other IP address they just assigned you. Once you do, call them up and cancel the ip, tell them your other computer had a melt down or something. Most of the time I just told them to cancel it and they did.

Your IP will be change, they will end up canceling the unused IP, and since your using the new one, the old one will get canceled.

Hope this helps.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:15 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2008, 08:15 PM #18 of 18
Unless you are paying extra for a static IP, the IP with the cable company is dynamic. The issue you are running into is MAC caching where a MAC address will be associated with an IP address even after released for a specific amount of time. I don't know how long Comcast has MAC address caching set for but I imagine it couldn't be any more than 15 minutes.

You need to release your IP then wait for about 15 minutes to renew the IP and this should give you a new IP address.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Cetra; Jun 4, 2008 at 11:20 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Resetting Your IP With Comcast