Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] The Gamingforce Game of the Year 2011: RESULTS - The Top 10

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:53 AM Local time: Jan 15, 2012, 10:53 AM 5 #1 of 15
The Gamingforce Game of the Year 2011: RESULTS - The Top 10

The voting is done with for another year, and once again it was a disappointingly small number of people who actually came out to vote, `so for another year rather than a top 20 I'm keeping it to just the top 10. The list runs in reverse order, so if you're highly impatient and just want to know what claimed the top spot, then leap on down to the bottom. But have a read through, see what games ended up where and then have your say on the list.

So, what made it into the Gamingforce Game of the Year Top 10, well let's start with number 10 shall we which is our only tied position, but 4 games made it into the tie:

10-. Battlefield 3
[ Multi | DICE ]

---------------------------

10-. Forza Motorsport 4
[ 360 | Turn 10 Studios ]

10-. L.A. Noire
[ Multi | Team Bondi ]

10-. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
[ PC | CD Projekt RED ]

9. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
[ PSP | Nihon Falcom ]

8. Gears of War 3
[ 360 | Epic ]

7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
[ Multi | Bethesda ]

6. Portal 2
[ Multi | Valve ]

5. Xenoblade Chronicles
[ Wii | Monolith Soft ]

4. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
[ NDS | Capcom ]

3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
[ Multi | Eidos Montreal ]

2. Bastion
[ Multi | Supergiant Games ]

1. Batman: Arkham City
[ Multi | Rocksteady Studios ]

So there you have it, the Gamingforce Game of the Year 2011 Top 10. So what should have been there, what shouldn't have? What was too high, and what was too low? Start the discussion/bitching...

Thanks to everyone who took part in the voting stage.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by OmagnusPrime; Jan 15, 2012 at 08:54 AM.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:42 AM Local time: Jan 15, 2012, 02:42 PM #2 of 15
Erm, Battlefield 3 should read multi instead of XBLA, right?

And Witcher 2 is not out on 360 yet so it should read PC for now.

Sems like a fairly safe list. Pleased to see some titles that generally get overlooked on mass media best of 2011 awards.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:55 AM Local time: Jan 15, 2012, 01:55 PM #3 of 15
Erm, Battlefield 3 should read multi instead of XBLA, right?

And Witcher 2 is not out on 360 yet so it should read PC for now.
Thank you, corrected both those mistakes. A little hangover from copying and pasting things. Ta.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:59 AM #4 of 15
Totally agree with Qwarky, there's not much to complain about from this list.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:55 AM #5 of 15
Not a bad list, glad to see Arkham City taking the top spot though and deservedly so. Anyone else find it a little strange that the two Nintendo titles are from the dying DS and a game that hasn't even made it to North America?

I was speaking idiomatically.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:28 AM 1 #6 of 15
Anyone else find it a little strange that the two Nintendo titles are from the dying DS and a game that hasn't even made it to North America?
If you'd played Xenoblade you would realize that the real question is "why wasn't this released in NA a long time ago" instead of "why have so many people bothered to import this?" You're right, though. I tried to find a good 3DS nomination, but Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 were the only games on it that I like enough to make the list that weren't remakes. Nano Assault was close.

As for the list itself, I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out. Nice to see TiTS managed to rise above the 4-way tie.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:33 PM #7 of 15
Only played two games from the results and love only one of them so I'm pretty neutral over this list. Odd that I was the only one who nominated for Pushmo though. That's getting rave reviews all around and thought I'd see more votes for it here. In fact, not many people even nominated 3DS games so I guess not many people actually have one.

FELIPE NO

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:52 PM Local time: Jan 15, 2012, 09:52 PM #8 of 15
Or we all own one and are really unimpressed by the 3DS.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:25 PM 1 #9 of 15
All this list does is remind me I have strange taste in games. (I like Arkham City a *lot* more than Arkham Asylum but I don't know if its #1 for me, skipped Deus Ex because fuck anything not System Shock, LA Noir was something I tried to love and it was shallow, I never got into Portal and Skyrim I want to get excited for but I didn't like Oblivion and New Vegas kinda soured me some.)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:32 PM Local time: Jan 15, 2012, 10:32 PM #10 of 15
Edit: This post was typed up before LeHah got in, it's aimed at Deni and Freelance.

Or, despite having some solid contenders in 3DLand and MK7, it was pushed out for other things that have a wider appeal?

3DS software is pretty solid for a first year effort. There's a great Ace Combat on it, Nano Assault is neat if not extremely easy, and fucking Mighty Switch Force is glorious. You happen to like an (admittedly not bad) Harvest Moon game that has a fundamental error in the port that results in random and common hard crashes. It's hard to nominate that shit for GOTY in any context when it's broken as hell.

Granted, the same applies to Skyrim and that's number 7. So what do I know.

So happy that Trails in the Sky made it in though. I've been pimping that shit as much as I can, but it's a hard sell. Port of a half decade old PC game to the PSP, in 2011? Criminally overlooked at large.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:53 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2012, 06:53 PM #11 of 15
wait, what!? How did i miss this?

I might've liked to see Skyward Sword make the list, but even that's not a huge complaint, as i can understand why people liked other games. I'm also in the boat of not having quite finished the game, so.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:11 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2012, 10:11 PM #12 of 15
wait, what!? How did i miss this?
Assault Horizon Legacy is the name of the 3DS one, and it's basically a remake of AC2. It is fantastic. It takes a few ideas from the PSP games in terms of upgrades and mission pathing, but it's a very solid entry and quite good.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:10 AM Local time: Jan 17, 2012, 08:10 AM #13 of 15
Quote:
So happy that Trails in the Sky made it in though. I've been pimping that shit as much as I can, but it's a hard sell. Port of a half decade old PC game to the PSP, in 2011? Criminally overlooked at large.
Is there any way to play this game without a PSP?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:08 PM #14 of 15
Haha RR, the same should be said of about every PSP game in my opinion. The device is fairly useless in my opinion - but hey that's just me and I only really want to play locoroco and patapon without shelling out whatever for the device. That said I'm oddly attracted to the vita and for all accounts and purposes it would seem the gaming world would frown on that for some reason.

I'm glad Ghost Trick made it into the list. It's too bad that critical claim doesn't mean financial success or perhaps nearly as much as it should have raked in. Such a gem.

I can understand why Zelda, Mario, and Mario Kart wouldn't make the list this time. While they're all great games it's a lot of "nice game but I really wish you'd surprise me with something genuinely new, Nintendo". They really need to get a nice new big franchise going. I mean put aside Animal Crossing and Nintendogs and any WiiMii shit the last time they really did something new was fucking Pikmin. Sure, it'll be a reboot but the closest thing we're getting that fits that description is the new Kid Icarus game. I love Sakurai but I really hope he put a lot more meat to this game than Brawl's paltry Kirby clone whackathon with silly cgi movietime bits. I'll probably enjoy whatever Nintendo throws my way this year with the 3DS (lol Wii is dead after Skyward Sword now) but I'm sure I'll be disappointed with the lost potential. Anyone want to take bets on how lackluster Animal Crossing 3DS will be compared to the vastly superior clone by Konami that is Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times?

Most amazing jew boots
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:15 PM Local time: Jan 17, 2012, 05:15 PM #15 of 15
Is there any way to play this game without a PSP?
The last update I know of to the fractionally finished English Translation patch of the PC version was made in the middle of 2009.

So probably not.

XSEED did a wonderful job here, and it's criminal to miss out on it, but I can understand if you lack the device.

If you don't, it's dirt fucking cheap, so.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [News] The Gamingforce Game of the Year 2011: RESULTS - The Top 10