Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] Shuki Levy - Musical Voice of 1980's Cartoons

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 7, 2007, 01:38 PM #1 of 14
Shuki Levy - Musical Voice of 1980's Cartoons

I was surprised to find that Shuki Levy, the composer behind many of my favorite childhood shows, has an official site that's loaded with the full versions of his many, many cartoon theme songs.

I had no idea that all of the music from these old favorites was composed by the same person, and the site is a great bit of nostalgia for the golden era of Saturday morning cartoons and delightfully cheesy 80's synth. I'd recommend the site to everyone, and if anyone has any ideas about how to download the songs, feel free to post it.

Shuki Levy's Official Site

Some of the shows represented:
He-Man
She-Ra
MASK
Inspector Gadget
Super Mario Bros. Super Show
X-Men (1992)
Spider-Man (1994)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Oct 7, 2007, 02:21 PM Local time: Oct 7, 2007, 09:21 PM #2 of 14
Yeah, I'm a big fan of his Mysterious Cities of Gold soundtrack.

Also, I think he only composed the theme songs for many of those.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by niki; Oct 7, 2007 at 02:24 PM.
Amayirot Akago
WRYYYYYYYYY!!

Member 12969

Level 21.07

Sep 2006

Old Oct 7, 2007, 04:30 PM Local time: Oct 7, 2007, 10:30 PM #3 of 14
Wow, that's a nice find. Shame the COPS theme isn't on there tho But damn, this brings back some memories. And I'm loving the extended MASK theme

Most amazing jew boots

Anime lover, gamer, and dreamer

Last edited by Amayirot Akago; Oct 7, 2007 at 04:56 PM.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Oct 7, 2007, 04:43 PM #4 of 14
I'm a big fan of his work in older cartoons...Those old cues for Heathcliff and Captain N (which included several VGM mixes...back in 1989, that was pretty mindblowing to hear arranged VGM) still hold water and are a big reason those shows are still so damn watchable nowadays. I recorded several of them onto my old tapedeck (same one I recorded VGM with) I didn't know he did Kissyfur, X-Men or Inspector Gadget, but that's pretty awesome.

There's this one triumphant fanfare of his that was used in a bunch of different shows. Anyone know which one I'm talking about? The one instance I know for sure it was used was the Wombatman episode of Captain N, when Wombatman is using the "Wombat-Rope" to get him and Kid Icarus into Mother Brain's lair.

Unfortunately, I think most people know of him through his lackluster score to the original Dragonball Z. Which, on top of being boring, had the dubious honor of replacing the original music. Oddly, his page marks DBZ as "1989", which was the Japanese release...It didn't come to America with new music until 1995.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 7, 2007, 07:41 PM #5 of 14
I think he only composed the theme songs for many of those.
Some, yes, but Levy often wrote the music for the entire run. His work on Inspector Gadget was even put onto a super-rare LP. It looks like he wrote a lot of cues at the beginning and then the producers used them as library music, inserting it and cutting it to fit.
Shame the COPS theme isn't on there tho
I was disappointed by that too, but after a little research I found out that Levy only wrote the incidental music. The theme was composed by Haim Saban, who appears to have worked with Levy a lot, often writing themes while Levy did the underscore. The COPS theme is on YouTube, though, if you really need the fix.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2007, 01:48 AM Local time: Oct 7, 2007, 11:48 PM #6 of 14
Shame the COPS theme isn't on there tho
That's probably because Inner Circle wrote that song.

WHATCHOO GONNA DO

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2007, 05:35 AM Local time: Oct 8, 2007, 12:35 PM #7 of 14
Some, yes, but Levy often wrote the music for the entire run. His work on Inspector Gadget was even put onto a super-rare LP. It looks like he wrote a lot of cues at the beginning and then the producers used them as library music, inserting it and cutting it to fit.

I was disappointed by that too, but after a little research I found out that Levy only wrote the incidental music. The theme was composed by Haim Saban, who appears to have worked with Levy a lot, often writing themes while Levy did the underscore. The COPS theme is on YouTube, though, if you really need the fix.
I researched about them quite a lot in the past (since I live in France and am a fan of old animes, heh), and it's confusing to know what those 2 did exactly. Haim Saban is usually only referred as a producer but is still credited in the music credits as if he and shuki actually worked together. Also, to name a single example, the music of Ulysses 31 is sometimes credited to "Haim Saban & Shuki Levy" and sometimes to "Ike Egan & Denny Crockett" ... That's only one of several examples I encountered.

FELIPE NO
SuperNova
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 830

Level 19.47

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2007, 06:25 AM #8 of 14
Wow. There's some stuff here that really brings back some nice memories from my childhood. I loaded that X-Men cartoon theme and felt like I was 12 again.

Nice find. :P

(I just scrolled down and saw Video Power... wasn't that that VG Game Show where players played NES against each other for a chance to run through that maze and grab as many games as they could?)

Most amazing jew boots

I have nothing clever to put here.
Conan-the-3rd
[Insert genie + computing pun here]

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2007, 05:37 AM Local time: Oct 15, 2007, 11:37 AM #9 of 14
Yeah, I'm one of the few that wasn't repulsed by Digimon's us soundtrack which I believe to be his doing.

Didn't he end up rewriting a lot of Escaflonine stuff though...?

How ya doing, buddy?
All I'm saying is that if the laptops of the future are not in the
shape of chibi genie girls then I'm going to be sorely disappointed.
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Oct 15, 2007, 06:03 AM Local time: Oct 15, 2007, 07:33 AM #10 of 14
And I'm loving the extended MASK theme
I'll have to agree with you there. I didn't even know M.A.S.K. had an extended opening theme, but its still definetely cool.

I can't wait for them to release a licensed boxed set of that series, because its one of my favourite 80's cartoons of all times.

To the person that found this, definetely a great find.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Faust 72
Blue Fedora, Orange Socks!!

Member 1129

Level 7.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2007, 11:50 PM #11 of 14
I wish he release the full music of MASK& RGB music in cds though.

How ya doing, buddy?
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes."
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2008, 04:08 PM #12 of 14
Sorry for the necromancy, but I've finally found a way to download the raw music files from this site, and thought that I'd best share them. The music is encoded as .MOV files at about 160 kbps--not perfect, but probably as good as it's going to get. I'm going to rip all the tracks later tonight and get them all tagged and pretty.

But for now, here's a sample: the extended MASK theme.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2008, 06:36 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2008, 06:36 PM #13 of 14
Power Rangers, man.

I was speaking idiomatically.
WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
THE BELIEVERS, THE COURAGEOUS,
THE CHEERFUL, THE PLANNERS, THE
DOERS, THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH
THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS AND THEIR
FEET ON THE GROUND. LET THEIR SPIRIT
IGNITE A FIRE WITHIN YOU TO LEAVE THIS
WORLD BETTER THAN WHEN YOU FOUND IT.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 29, 2008, 05:41 PM #14 of 14
Power Rangers, man.
Yes, yes, of many different varieties.

The tagging took a little longer than I thought it would, but here are the songs if anyone wants to get their nostalgia on: Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] Shuki Levy - Musical Voice of 1980's Cartoons