Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[SotW] Ye Olde Songge of the Weake - WEAKE the 166th Voting/WEAKE the 167th Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2009, 09:28 AM #1 of 29
Ye Olde Songge of the Weake - WEAKE the 166th Voting/WEAKE the 167th Nominating

Song of the Week. 150 Weeks and counting.
Week 166 Voting is closed.
Week 167 Nominating is restricted.

Results:
1). [20] Sega Smash Pack: Volume 1 (Game Rip) - Back in Time
2). [17] Sam & Max Season Two Soundtrack - Woo!
3). [13] LEGEND CONSUMER SERIES: Summer Carnival '92 RECCA FAMICOM SOUNDTRACK - JSR $2302 (Summer Carnival '92 Recca Arrange Version)
4). [11] Luster ~ Music from BRIGANTY PC98ver. - Coda "BRIGANTY" (Ending)
5). [9] Namco Game Sound Express VOL.11 Ridge Racer - Feeling over (UNDERGROUND)
6). [8] Fang of Alnam - YUHSHI
7). [3/2] Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden (Game Rip) - johnathan taylor thomas
8). [3/1.5] 20th anniversary a TRIBUTE to GAME-sounds for music-CD - Comic Star (Take the A-Train)

Tracks:
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: 20th anniversary a TRIBUTE to GAME-sounds for music-CD - Comic Star (Take the A-Train)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden (Game Rip) - johnathan taylor thomas
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Fang of Alnam - YUHSHI
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: LEGEND CONSUMER SERIES: Summer Carnival '92 RECCA FAMICOM SOUNDTRACK - JSR $2302 (Summer Carnival '92 Recca Arrange Version)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Luster ~ Music from BRIGANTY PC98ver. - Coda "BRIGANTY" (Ending)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Namco Game Sound Express VOL.11 Ridge Racer - Feeling over (UNDERGROUND)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Sam & Max Season Two Soundtrack - Woo!
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Sega Smash Pack: Volume 1 (Game Rip) - Back in Time

Notes:
Please remember to upload your nominations to the SotW server! Uploaded noms mean a faster, smoother SotW experience for everyone.

Week 166 Nominating:
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Apr 5, 2009 at 04:11 AM.
ZiggyGo
Mountain Chocobo

Member 29067

Level 26.11

Mar 2008

Old Apr 3, 2009, 10:24 AM #2 of 29
A nomination that is surprisingly not from a shmup!

Composer: Kenichi Arakawa
Album: Genmu no Tou to Tsurugi no Okite Original Soundtracks
Track Title: Floor 1, 2
Disc: 1 (of 2)
Track Number: 8
Catalog Number: GTCD-0002
Year: 2008
Source: GTCD-0002: Genmu no Tou to Tsurugi no Okite Original Soundtracks - VGMdb
Additional Information: I find this to be absolutely delicious.

Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/z4jnrz

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Opfer
nice

Member 28563

Level 18.16

Mar 2008

Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:21 AM Local time: Apr 3, 2009, 06:21 PM #3 of 29
You gotta be kidding me... The "ancient-talk" thing replaced stuff in the links to the songs, thereby killing them...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Apr 3, 2009, 08:50 PM #4 of 29
I keep getting an error for the Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden track. Says it's not on the server, so someone shall have to fix that.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Opfer
nice

Member 28563

Level 18.16

Mar 2008

Old Apr 4, 2009, 07:32 AM Local time: Apr 4, 2009, 02:32 PM #5 of 29
I keep getting an error for the Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden track. Says it's not on the server, so someone shall have to fix that.
1. Man, you killed me for 1 GP. Seriously.
2. Read my post above, it explains your broken-link problem.
3. Press the quote button on orion's post, it gives you the unmodified text, with working URLs.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Apr 4, 2009, 08:07 AM #6 of 29
Artist: Shinsekai Gakkyoku Zatsugidan
Album Title: The King of Fighters '98 Arrange Sound Trax
Track Title: ESAKA (Kyo Kusanagi)
Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
Track Number: 2
Catalog Number: PCCB-00337
Year: 1998
Additional Information: This is not the well-known Kyo Esaka theme, but rather a different theme with the same name. =0
Source: PCCB-00337: The King of Fighters '98 Arrange Sound Trax - VGMdb

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2009, 03:47 PM #7 of 29
Album: Catan (XBLA rip)
Artist: Holly Tatnall
Track Title: Soothing Theme
Track #: 02
Year: 2007
Source: the game itself

FELIPE NO
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2009, 08:14 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2009, 06:14 PM #8 of 29
Given the, um, complete forum disruption we had, I was planning on extending this week by a week. I'll prepare the tracks and get that Paper Mario thread up some time tonight.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Apr 5, 2009, 12:50 AM #9 of 29
1. Man, you killed me for 1 GP. Seriously.
2. Read my post above, it explains your broken-link problem.
3. Press the quote button on orion's post, it gives you the unmodified text, with working URLs.
1: You were alive and had an alignment lesser than my own. That's all it took; I wasn't in it for the money.

2: I eventually figured that out but didn't see a point in trying to fix it as long as the filters were in place.

3: I just downloaded the tracks from the SotW site instead.

orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:43 AM #10 of 29
Given the, um, complete forum disruption we had, I was planning on extending this week by a week. I'll prepare the tracks and get that Paper Mario thread up some time tonight.
Good call. Sorry about the link problems and the lingering traces of ye olde crappe in the opening post; it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Also, I hope our participants will forgive our more active members for horribly butchering them in cold blood, again and again

Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Apr 5, 2009, 06:24 PM #11 of 29
3 Points: Luster ~ Music from BRIGANTY PC98ver. - Coda "BRIGANTY" (Ending)
2 Points: Sam & Max Season Two Soundtrack - Woo!
1 Point: Namco Game Sound Express VOL.11 Ridge Racer - Feeling over (UNDERGROUND)

I found this week to be a bit underwhelming. A lot of tracks were a shade shy of fulfilling my expectations. Oh well, next week, right?

Nomination

Album: Shining Force Neo ~Zetsubo to Kibo
Track Title: Zetsubo to Kibo (Original Karaoke)
Track Number: 3
Composer: Ai Kawashima
Additional Notes: I don't have much info on this track. My brother, a die-hard Shining Force fanatic, found and sent it to me. I'm not sure where it came from. I know this album is a limited release associated with the game, but not much more.

THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2009, 07:18 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2009, 05:18 PM #12 of 29
I finally made a voting thread for the Paper Mario nom; check it out, drop in a vote, and so forth. Your opinions are greatly appreciated, as always.

Also here is a nomination that should be slightly more accessible than my current one.

Undertale (PC, 2015)
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:00 PM #13 of 29
I'm with Crash on general sentiment, if not exact vote dispersion: A lot of tracks were pleasant but none made the leap into the stratosphere.

(2 points) Fang of Alnam - YUHSHI
(2 points) Sega Smash Pack: Volume 1 (Game Rip) - Back in Time
(1 point) Luster ~ Music from BRIGANTY PC98ver. - Coda "BRIGANTY" (Ending)
(1 point) Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden (Game Rip) - johnathan taylor thomas

I was speaking idiomatically.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:50 PM #14 of 29
20th anniversary a TRIBUTE to GAME-sounds for music-CD - Comic Star (Take the A-Train) The opening was just painful, but the tune takes on a much more pleasant surf-rock vibe once it gets going. Still kind of underwhelming, with lots of annoying mixed-in quotes, terrible interludes, and a hefty borrowing from Surfin' Safari.

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden (Game Rip) - johnathan taylor thomas The fact that this game even exists is equal parts bizarre and awesome. The music is actually not half bad; dark SNES-style music is a rich vein.

Fang of Alnam - YUHSHI With a name like that I expected an all-out bubblegum assault of sugary cuteness and bad singing. Instead the song is rather similar to the last tune--a dark older-gen sound--this one a bit more complex. The piano figures especially reminded me of Mitsuda; rather good overall.

LEGEND CONSUMER SERIES: Summer Carnival '92 RECCA FAMICOM SOUNDTRACK - JSR $2302 (Summer Carnival '92 Recca Arrange Version) I'd have thought that title was a parody if VGMdb didn't confirm it. The radical tone shift a third of the way through is kind of jarring, but leads to the best section of the music, dark and driving techno lickx. The last bit, unfortunately, is kind of silly.

Luster ~ Music from BRIGANTY PC98ver. - Coda "BRIGANTY" (Ending) Pleasant bit of synth swing, this. Sounds kind of similar to a few songs that have popped up in recent weeks, but it's fundamentally sound.

Namco Game Sound Express VOL.11 Ridge Racer - Feeling over (UNDERGROUND) Sounds about like I thought it would; works well enough if you're driving fast I gues,s but not the sort of thing I'd listen to on my own.

Sam & Max Season Two Soundtrack - Woo! Nice bit of Latin salsa--reminds me of Grim Fandango, come to think of it. It works, but the title had me expecting a comic romp of epic proportions.

Sega Smash Pack: Volume 1 (Game Rip) - Back in Time Very nice 80's style techno with a spacey sound to it. I'm crazy about stuff like this at the moment (nostalgia, maybe?). The random bleeps could probably be dropped, but it's otherwise rather great.

The Point Spread
Back in Time - 2 pts.
YUHSHI - 1 pt.
Coda "BRIGANTY" (Ending) - 1 pt.
johnathan taylor thomas - 1 pt.
Woo! - 1 pt.

TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Apr 10, 2009, 05:19 AM #15 of 29
3 points - LEGEND CONSUMER SERIES: Summer Carnival '92 RECCA FAMICOM SOUNDTRACK - JSR $2302 (Summer Carnival '92 Recca Arrange Version)
2 points - Sega Smash Pack: Volume 1 (Game Rip) - Back in Time
1 point - Namco Game Sound Express VOL.11 Ridge Racer - Feeling over (UNDERGROUND)

FELIPE NO
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2009, 08:35 AM Local time: Apr 10, 2009, 11:35 PM #16 of 29
Nomination #16

Composer: ESTi
Game: La Tale
Track Title: Viridianscape
Track Number: 6
Year: 2005
Additional Information: Classic ESTi sound; can't go wrong with that

Hopefully I'll get around to voting sometimes tomorrow. (meanwhile, uploading to the ftpscape of sotw)

greatless
Wark!

Member 32656

Level 2.25

Jan 2009

Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:25 PM #17 of 29
Woo! - 2 points
Back in time - 2 points
Yuhshi - 1 point
Coda "BRIGANTY" (Ending) - 1 point

Another cool soundtrack from SRW series New nomination:
* Artist: JAM Project
* Album Title: Super Robot Wars OG: Original Generations Original Soundtrack
* Track Title: Treue
* Disc Number: 2 (of 4)
* Track Number: 10
* Catalog Number: LACA-9094~7
* Release Date: Sep 05, 2007
* Source: LACA-9094~7: Super Robot Wars OG: Original Generations Original... - VGMdb

TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:22 AM #18 of 29
Darn you CHz. My next nom was going to come from Recca, but then you went and beat me to it. Guess I'm jumping ahead to this then.

Composers: NARAMURA, SAMIERU
Album: La-Mulana (Game Rip)
Title: Curse of IRON PIPE
Year: 2005, I think
I'll upload it to the ftp.

Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:13 AM #19 of 29
20th anniversary a TRIBUTE to GAME-sounds for music-CD - Comic Star (Take the A-Train)
There is some crazy stuff in there. I liked the western surf guitar and the train-like rhythm, but the intense beats annoyed me a little.

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden (Game Rip) - johnathan taylor thomas
MIDI power! It's actually better than what I expected from both the game's and the the track's titles. The composition almost sounds like something from Sakuraba. But I guess Chef Boyardee ain't one of his aliases. It's a nice obscure nom.

Fang of Alnam - YUHSHI
Atmospheric and zen, it's enjoyable although not phenomenal in my opinion.

LEGEND CONSUMER SERIES: Summer Carnival '92 RECCA FAMICOM SOUNDTRACK - JSR $2302 (Summer Carnival '92 Recca Arrange Version)
Seems like Namiki is a popular fellow around here. Solid techno, but the rather dark, oppressive mood of the track didn't win me completely.

Luster ~ Music from BRIGANTY PC98ver. - Coda "BRIGANTY" (Ending)
While not mind-blowing, the jazzy electronic vibe is very nice. I'm not certain the synth lead is the best possible choice that could have been made because I find it's a tad piercing, yet it adds a retro flavor which is welcome.

Namco Game Sound Express VOL.11 Ridge Racer - Feeling over (UNDERGROUND)
Shinji Hosoe is another popular composer in SotW. Good tune for sure, although I wish there would have been more melody to it. The '90s dance vibe is nice.

Sam & Max Season Two Soundtrack - Woo!
Tropical music to support the wait of summer's coming. It reminds me of "Jump in the Line", the Harry Belafonte song at the end of Beetlejuice. A tad long and repetitive, but the many different instruments featured help make this more tolerable. An happy tune that puts me in an happy mood!

Sega Smash Pack: Volume 1 (Game Rip) - Back in Time
The opening synthesizer reminded me of System Shock 2. The composition is simple, but I enjoy it.

(3 points) Sam & Max Season Two Soundtrack - Woo!
(2 points) Sega Smash Pack: Volume 1 (Game Rip) - Back in Time
(1 point) Luster ~ Music from BRIGANTY PC98ver. - Coda "BRIGANTY" (Ending)

-----

Nomination:

Composer: James Hannigan
Album: Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising (PC Game Rip)
Track Title: Yuriko's Theme
Year: 2009

isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:20 PM Local time: Apr 12, 2009, 07:20 PM #20 of 29
Distinctive week

<<3 points>> 20th anniversary a TRIBUTE to GAME-sounds for music-CD - Comic Star (Take the A-Train)
<<2 points>> Sam & Max Season Two Soundtrack - Woo!
<<1 point>> LEGEND CONSUMER SERIES: Summer Carnival '92 RECCA FAMICOM SOUNDTRACK - JSR $2302 (Summer Carnival '92 Recca Arrange Version)

Nomination (or abomination?)
  • Composer: Hiroshi Tamawari
  • Album Title: Vandal Hearts II ~Heaven's Gate~ Original Soundtrack
  • Track Title: Warfare on a Constructions
  • Disc Number: 2 (of 2)
  • Track Number: 14
  • Catalog Number: KMCA-20~1
  • Year: 1999

Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Apr 12, 2009, 06:03 PM Local time: Apr 13, 2009, 01:03 AM #21 of 29
2 points: LEGEND CONSUMER SERIES: Summer Carnival '92 RECCA FAMICOM SOUNDTRACK - JSR $2302 (Summer Carnival '92 Recca Arrange Version)
2 points: Sega Smash Pack: Volume 1 (Game Rip) - Back in Time
1 point: Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden (Game Rip) - johnathan taylor thomas
1 point: Namco Game Sound Express VOL.11 Ridge Racer - Feeling over (UNDERGROUND)

THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2009, 07:24 PM Local time: Apr 12, 2009, 05:24 PM #22 of 29
3 points: LEGEND CONSUMER SERIES: Summer Carnival '92 RECCA FAMICOM SOUNDTRACK - JSR $2302 (Summer Carnival '92 Recca Arrange Version)
2 points: Sam & Max Season Two Soundtrack - Woo!
1 point: Fang of Alnam - YUHSHI
Feeling the deepest of regrets for snubbing: Comic Star (Take the A-Train), Feeling over (UNDERGROUND)

Fairly straightforward tracks this week, in general.

The Recca track is a weird nom from me, since I'm one of the first to complain about WHOA WHOSE IDEA WAS IT TO STICK TWO COMPLETELY UNRELATED TRACKS TOGETHER, but I would nominate either section of this medley if it were standalone, that's how much I enjoy Namiki's treatments of Shioda's already excellent Recca soundtrack.

I've been playing Sam & Max: Season One and enjoying the heck out of it, including the music. Seems like Season Two's soundtrack might be just as good.

Undertale (PC, 2015)
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2009, 08:23 PM Local time: Apr 13, 2009, 09:23 AM #23 of 29
Quick votes:

(2 points) Sega Smash Pack Volume 1 (Game Rip) - Back in Time
This was surprisingly nice. Some parts sound quite familiar, though, like the intro.

(2 points) Fang of Alnam - YUHSHI

(2 points) Luster ~ Music from BRIGANTY PC98ver. - Coda BRIGANTY (Ending)

Special mentions to "johnathan taylor thomas". I liked the play between the piano and the driving beat in the background. "Woo!" was also close to getting a point, too, for its fun-loving vibes.

FELIPE NO
I think therefore I am... I think.
ZiggyGo
Mountain Chocobo

Member 29067

Level 26.11

Mar 2008

Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:33 PM #24 of 29
3 points: Namco Game Sound Express VOL.11 Ridge Racer - Feeling over (UNDERGROUND)
2 points: Sega Smash Pack Volume 1 (Game Rip) - Back in Time
1 point: LEGEND CONSUMER SERIES: Summer Carnival '92 RECCA FAMICOM SOUNDTRACK - JSR $2302 (Summer Carnival '92 Recca Arrange Version)

Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:33 AM #25 of 29
3 points: JSR $2302
2 points: Feeling Over (Underground)
1 point: Coda 'BRIGANTY' (Ending)
Just missed: Back in Time

Hey, it's the menu theme from Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1! When's Vol. 2 coming out? Of course, it's not a tune I would ever just sit down and listen to while browsing the menu, as I'm not really a fan, but it's pretty cool to see it here.

Hey, Coda "BRIGANTY" (Ending)'s piano part sounds almost EXACTLY like the piano part in Viewpoint's Ending Theme. Only, you know, not half as good. Check out how it's done. Though, as inferior as this VERSION (oh snap) is, it's still catchy enough to receive a point.

Once again, Manabu Namiki is leagues ahead of the competition. It's like he's got some kind of... monopoly over good music or something. My favorite part is from 2:24-3:21, reminds me of the good ol' days when Team 8ing ruled the VGM world with an iron fist. A special nod goes to the original source tunes; a very well done dance soundtrack for the NES. Not that I expect any less for the fastest game ever made.

Also I have yet to play the best game ever made, but jonathan taylor thomas wasn't even close to what I expected. Instead of some breakbeats or trip-hop with poorly clipped Home Improvement samples, we got... some generic RPG battle music? What the hell?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Ye Olde Songge of the Weake - WEAKE the 166th Voting/WEAKE the 167th Nominating